Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

See if this samsung app does anything for you, you might be able to map out the nav bar gesture to behave like you're used to. It's also kinda nice to have a swipe left to go back gesture when you're not near the back arrow in an app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.sidegesturepad

The nav bar stuff might be buried in the other app they put out, good lock...

I'm with you on it being jarring at first not having auto hide but once you can customize how the gestures work and the areas it's actually nice being in "full screen" all the time for reading and whatnot. It's a quicker transistion then you'd think..

Not having a notification LED, not so much

The only thing I'm missing is the swipe up to bring the navigation bar up, then I could hit back repeatedly to go back. I love full screen mode, and have for nearly 2 years. Now I can single swipe up to go back, but can't keep tapping it, I have to keep swiping up to go back multiple times. Or lose the full screen mode.

I'll adjust eventually, as I want full screen mode more than I want the ability to hit back multiple times.

Everything else about the One UI so far, I like. It's cleaner and the night mode is exactly what I'd want, without having to install a theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

This will do two changes.

Anker PowerCore 10000 PD, 10000mAh Portable Charger USB-C Power Delivery (18W) Power Bank for iPhone 8/8+/X/XS/XR/XS Max, Pixel 3/3XL, iPad Pro 2018, and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HBTY3Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Y6LOCbFRT0B47

It comes with a good cable.

I have two of the big brother of this, the Anker power core 13000. Works great, and it they have a model that will charge from a native USB-C in (which is what my phone uses). Actually, I lost my first one and liked it so much I went out and bought a second before finding the first again.

My mom was using mine so much I bought her one too and I'd forgotten about it until she flew out to see us and brought it with her on the plane

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 1, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I went with aukey since aukey and anker are pretty much the same thing and it was slightly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Z4RHZZ/

no usb c to usb c cable with it though

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zer0spunk posted:

I went with aukey since aukey and anker are pretty much the same thing and it was slightly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Z4RHZZ/

no usb c to usb c cable with it though

One important note, that one only goes up to 12v and there aren't a ton of 12v devices out there. The 15v profile on the Anker one is a real asset as it allows for trickle charging of larger devices like some notebooks and Chromebooks.

One other thing that's nice about the Anker power bank is that you can force it to stay on which is nice with some lower draw devices like smart watches since they often don't draw enough current to keep the battery from shutting off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is google known for having lovely customer service? I have a pixel3 I'm trying to get fixed on the manufacturer's warranty and I just got escalated to some kind of conflict center for some reason. This is after they recommended I contact the retailer because it's covered under 2 warranties.

I've only ever had excellent customer service from them, along with cross-shipping and everything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is google known for having lovely customer service? I have a pixel3 I'm trying to get fixed on the manufacturer's warranty and I just got escalated to some kind of conflict center for some reason. This is after they recommended I contact the retailer because it's covered under 2 warranties.

Short answer:
Google has a reputation of bad CS but it's not always bad.

Long answer:
With Google Fi, yes. It's bad enough that there are Fi employees on Reddit whose sole purpose is to create tickets to push and get something done. Otherwise, you'll be stuck in limbo forever as they "escalate".

For the Google Store, yes. I had to call them three times after they sent me 3 defective Pixel 2 (non XL) devices. The last one was so bad, it had a lose screw or something inside that made it sound like a loving child's rattle. They gave me my money back and I waited until the P3 released to grab a good one from a dude on Reddit. Also, I had a problem with their site not pulling payment and they transferred me a total of seven times to seven different agents to fix the issue. Each person read from a script, the script didn't tell them what to do, so they transferred me over and over.

For YouTube Premium/Google Play Music, yes. My roommate had an issue where GPM claimed he was using GPM/YouTube from another PC on the same account (he wasn't) and it wouldn't let him upload anymore music. He called GPM/YouTube support (they're literally the exact same thing) and told them. They told him to wait and they'd escalate the issue and get back to them. It's been four months now and Google's lost out on a customer who was actually going to buy a subscription. This is not an uncommon issue to have with GPM and there's apparently no fix when it happens.

For YouTube TV, sort of? They constantly have outages and outright problems when big sports things happen and people try to record them to the online DVR. Usually, they apologize and give a free month or something to those affected.

Google is known for really bad CS. Some dude on Reddit just two days ago had his support chat with Fi immediately terminated because he used the word "bullshit" and said "I'm screwed" when talking to them about the fact that one of their own CS reps told him he could pay his Pixel 3 off via payments.google.com (you can't) and the money went towards his bill instead of paying off the phone. Instead of helping, they terminated the chat immediately when he asked if he was "screwed". Granted, they probably have a huge swear filter or something but...yeah.

However, I've had some good experiences with Google CS. One was with Google Store when my Nexus 4 had problems with the speaker. They RMA'd it as I was still within warranty and sent me a 100% brand new one with the little nipples on it to keep the speaker off the table so it won't be muffled (that wasn't my issue but yeah). Now all they send are used devices with a huge gamble on if it'll work.

So...yes and no. Depends on the rep.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 1, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a way to change the icons used by the Task Switcher or is that beyond the power of Nova Launcher?

e: it's a Samsung Galaxy S10e if that matters.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
For some reason I can't search apps in my app drawer anymore. I'm on a Galaxy S6 with Nova Launcher (don't think that affects the app drawer but not sure). I used to be able to pull from the top of the screen when the app drawer was open to search, but can't anymore. And I have removed some apps from my "App" folder so now can only access them from the installed app list and can't add them as an icon to my screens.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Nova takes over the app drawer. Go through the settings. There should be an app drawer section.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Thanks! I had somehow turned off the search function in Nova settings. Fixed now.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Is there a way to change the icons used by the Task Switcher or is that beyond the power of Nova Launcher?

e: it's a Samsung Galaxy S10e if that matters.

What icons are you referring to?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Android Q Beta 2 released, for the curious. 502MB download on the Pixel 3 if you're on Beta 1.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hot drat, Samsung pushed an 18mb security update, which caused my phone to vomit and demand the full 2.8gb OS reinstall, which fixed my poo poo and now I have a fully functional S7 again. :woop:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Desk Lamp posted:

What icons are you referring to?

I've been using Good Lock, so the little icons beside each, uh, tab? On the left.

I know it's unbelievably petty but if I can't obsessively reskin my entire phone interface why even get up in the morning.

E: if I'm not using Good Lock they appear at the top of each tab

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Rime posted:

Hot drat, Samsung pushed an 18mb security update, which caused my phone to vomit and demand the full 2.8gb OS reinstall, which fixed my poo poo and now I have a fully functional S7 again. :woop:

Samspwned?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

YggiDee posted:

I've been using Good Lock, so the little icons beside each, uh, tab? On the left.

I know it's unbelievably petty but if I can't obsessively reskin my entire phone interface why even get up in the morning.

E: if I'm not using Good Lock they appear at the top of each tab

It should use the same icons as whatever icon pack you're using. At least that's how it shows up for me using Good Lock.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ooh gosh I do not like the new app switcher behaviour in the new Q beta

e: noo it broke timely too

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 3, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Desk Lamp posted:

It should use the same icons as whatever icon pack you're using. At least that's how it shows up for me using Good Lock.

Well, even if it should, it doesn't.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Someone posted a link a couple pages back to something called Package Disabler Pro for Samsung phones, but the link is dead. Does anyone have a link to the correct app?

Also, gently caress Bixby and its dedicated button. It's the only thing I really don't like about this S9. Robo-assistants are the worst.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

e: noo it broke timely too

WHAT?! elaborate please

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a huge fan of ASAP launcher. It's worth a dedicated try. It felt like with Nova it took me a few days of tinkering to get set up.

ASAP does what it should, comfortably, pretty much out of the box and only really introduces features organically.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Google customer service is pretty poo poo for the pixel 3. They said my phone had an account other than mine associated with it (its refurbished) and so they are claiming they can't help me with the manufacturer's warranty? All of the emails I've had with them have been cryptic and kind of strange.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DizzyBum posted:

Also, gently caress Bixby and its dedicated button. It's the only thing I really don't like about this S9. Robo-assistants are the worst.

I'm brand new to Samsung phones, and I immediately hated it on my S8 that I just got. Really awful that you have to sign in or sign up just to disable the button's functionality.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Google customer service is pretty poo poo for the pixel 3. They said my phone had an account other than mine associated with it (its refurbished) and so they are claiming they can't help me with the manufacturer's warranty? All of the emails I've had with them have been cryptic and kind of strange.

When I bought my used Pixel 2 XL, I had the owner transfer over ownership from himself to me. This meant giving the Google Store the phone's IMEI and they put it in my name. Apparently, the refurb phone never had this happen.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
True to the warning, Q Beta 2 is causing Plex to crash a few seconds after launch.

I also stupidly disabled Fluid Navigation Gestures to test the new app swiping (it's buggy and less functional) and now Fluid Navigation Gestures crashes on launch too.

Other than that though it's a lot smoother and there's a couple of small improvements I've noticed. Instead of launching settings, the button under the volume pop-up opens the volume sliders directly, and the 4G/LTE signifier was moved from the navigation bar to the shade.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

WHAT?! elaborate please

It just doesnt open on the latest Q beta. Clearing data gets you a permissions request screen on open but then after than nothing, not even a force close

I always expect my banking app to break with the previews but timely is a surprise

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Man I hope that doesn't last to launch. I know timely is basically abandoned but it does exactly what I need it to and I'm used to it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah me too, think I'll be rolling back later today, the app switcher is just too painful to use

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, there's always the swipe up -> slide the thumbnails to get the app you want, it's not like app switching is impossible in beta 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just want to say that I loving love my S8, holy poo poo. And my wife can't stand it, as it's too thin, slippery, and curved on the edges. Thankfully, she doesn't have two of those issues with something else :smug: ANYWAY, I do need a case, and I'd like it to not just be a boring black one. I asked earlier in the thread, but I think the post got lost (or no one had anything to say), but I'll try again; any recommendations for not-hideously-expensive S8 custom (or at least designed) cases (in :canada:)?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

asecondduck posted:

I mean, there's always the swipe up -> slide the thumbnails to get the app you want, it's not like app switching is impossible in beta 2.

It's the quick swipe right to switch between recent apps that's gone

Now it's a slow drag left and right, it's awful

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skarsnik posted:

It's the quick swipe right to switch between recent apps that's gone

Now it's a slow drag left and right, it's awful

I was gonna say that it doesn't feel much slower to me but then I remembered I had animations at 0.5x in developer options. Turned it back to 1x and yeah, that's annoying.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just want to say that I loving love my S8, holy poo poo. And my wife can't stand it, as it's too thin, slippery, and curved on the edges. Thankfully, she doesn't have two of those issues with something else :smug: ANYWAY, I do need a case, and I'd like it to not just be a boring black one. I asked earlier in the thread, but I think the post got lost (or no one had anything to say), but I'll try again; any recommendations for not-hideously-expensive S8 custom (or at least designed) cases (in :canada:)?

Spigen or Caseology brand from Amazon.ca

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Spigen or Caseology brand from Amazon.ca

Just checked them out, thanks! I wish you could put your own custom images on there but these are still really good for the price.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

how the gently caress

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

how the gently caress

:roflolmao:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

how the gently caress

Welcome to the club

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i dont get it

e: vvv thanks!

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 4, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cameras don't pick up stars very well, especially if there's an active light source in frame, like that porch light. Every star you've ever seen in a TV show or movie was a special effect. Sometimes you can pick up Mars or Venus because planets are just ridiculously bright, but that's about it.

That's pretty clearly the constellation Orion, those three stars in a line are Orion's belt

I've taken some moon photography with my phone through a pair of binoculars, but that photo is pretty loving incredible

Edit: there's enough detail there that you can actually pick out which stars are slightly fuzzy and represent the Orion Nebula, just south of Orion's belt

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Every star you've ever seen in a TV show or movie was a special effect.

Sun is a star. I'll show myself out.

But, yeah, I would imagine it's pretty difficult to get this sharpness on a low light handheld phone photo. You can even see that one of the stars is actually a nebula.