Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bless Samuel L. Jackson for not taking that role.

quote:

Samuel L. Jackson was initially offered the role played by LL Cool J. Jackson's management didn't like the idea of him playing a chef, so Director Renny Harlin created the role of Russell Franklin for him, Jackson stated about Harlin casting him as Franklin "He said, 'Now you're going to be the richest man in the world, and you're going to have the greatest scene in the movie, and it's going to be a shock to everyone!" Jackson recalled. "He sent it back, (and the part) was Russell Franklin, and I was like 'Yeah, this was great.' I've done a lot of different things in movies, or had a lot of things happen to me in the movies, but nothing like what happens to me in this one."

If you don’t remember the movie a shark suddenly appears from a pool and drags him under water, right as he’s making an inspiring speech to the others.

Also,

quote:

For one scene, Thomas Jane had to swim alongside a real live shark. He was only allowed to shoot this once he had completed all of his other scenes.

“Let’s save this scene until you are expendable, okay?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mierenneuker posted:

Bless Samuel L. Jackson for not taking that role.

If you don’t remember the movie a shark suddenly appears from a pool and drags him under water, right as he’s making an inspiring speech to the others.

Also,

Patrick Swayze had that rule in Point Break, once they found out he'd been skydiving without telling the others

It was very prescient too
\/

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 1, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LL Cool J, for me, gets a pass for every role after his absolutely best one in TOYS (1992). He might be my favourite part of that film, which is saying a lot, since it had Robin Williams, Ann Cusack, and Michael loving Gambon in it.

TOYS was wonderful, woefully underrated, and should be seen by anyone who hasn't seen it yet. :colbert:

The couch gag is the best.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Toys used to be my go-to "I'm sick at home and Mom asks me what movie I want put on" choice in elementary school. Robin Williams' character didn't interest me all that much; I wanted to hang out with Joan Cusack and LL Cool J. Heck, I still do

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Toys used to be my go-to "I'm sick at home and Mom asks me what movie I want put on" choice in elementary school. Robin Williams' character didn't interest me all that much; I wanted to hang out with Joan Cusack and LL Cool J. Heck, I still do

Hundred percent.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Who loving cares if Joss Wheadon cheated on his wife? That’s between him and his wife. The way people latch on to the personal lives of strangers is gnarly.

you don't get to act like you're a big feminist and then gently caress around behind your wife's back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

Patrick Swayze had that rule in Point Break, once they found out he'd been skydiving without telling the others

It was very prescient too
\/

I didn't know Swayze did his own stunts in the sky diving part before I saw the movie, so it was a shock when they had some close ups of Keanu obviously done in a controlled studio environment and they cut to the actual sky diving and the camera man starts getting closer to Swayze's character it was a real shock when it was actually him.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

LL Cool J, for me, gets a pass for every role after his absolutely best one in TOYS (1992). He might be my favourite part of that film, which is saying a lot, since it had Robin Williams, Ann Cusack, and Michael loving Gambon in it.

TOYS was wonderful, woefully underrated, and should be seen by anyone who hasn't seen it yet. :colbert:

The couch gag is the best.

And it still holds up great. I love introducing people to that movie who have never seen it.

Those rolling green hills man.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BonoMan posted:

And it still holds up great. I love introducing people to that movie who have never seen it.

Isn't that where they took the Windows XP default background picture?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Isn't that where they took the Windows XP default background picture?

No, Palouse apparently

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just watched Deliverance for the first time and there was a shot I was curious about. It's maybe 20-30 minutes into the movie, they're on the river in their canoes and they go under a bridge. The banjo kid is standing on the bridge and the shot starts on the upriver side of the bridge, looking up at the kid, goes under the bridge, swiveling as it goes so you are looking at the bridge from the downriver side. Easy enough. But then the shot elevates and you're looking down at the bridge. So the camera moves in essentially a J shape motion where the bridge is in the bowl of the J. Seems like a crane shot would be tricky to pull off on the river, but not sure how else it might have been done.

Wish I could find a video of the scene but not having any luck.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Same.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I like them all sitting on the couch doing the VR rollercoaster.
Nailed the full use of that technology, like, thirty fuckin' years ago.

BonoMan posted:

Parachute posted:

along these very lines is the counselor worth reading/watching? when it came out it looked like something that was hitting all the right notes for me but i heard it sucked serious rear end so i avoided it completely at the time.

If you like Ridley Scott and like McCarthy, there's really no reason to not check it out.
Personally I like it more than No Country... though I'm probably alone in that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Counselor kicks rear end, it is very much the TCM2 to No Country's Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Counselor kicks rear end, it is very much the TCM2 to No Country's Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Hahaha I'm stealing this.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

This is one of the highest endorsement's you could have given it for me.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Is there anywhere I can go to find out which theaters near me have what versions of Imax/ Dolby Cinema/ Samsung Hyper Laser Fuckery? For movies I'm willing to shell out $20+ for I want to at least see it in the loudest, most bighuge format available within 50 miles or so of Philadelphia.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can find all that stuff on Fandango.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I mean, sure it says if the film is in Imax, but it doesn't tell me if the screen is a piece of poo poo 29' tall screen rather than the 50'+ screen I am happy paying $20 to stare at.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh I see. That info is notoriously hard to find since IMAX seems to be conflating all their screen formats for marketing purposes. Hope this helps you out some, the biggest format is "1570" or 70mm/15 perf: http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Perfect! Just what I needed. Now to figure out if the theater near me with 1570 format and the Digital (tiny) format is using the bigger screen for the 3d showing...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Deadguy2322 posted:

I never understood how giving every character in his crap dialog that sounded like a bitchy teenager was in any way depicting strong women. The guy was always a hack, and I’m glad his career is in tatters. The way he wrote was on the same level as bad fan fiction.

You have a funny definition of "tatters". The guy has a new show ordered by HBO, a new Buffy show (potentially) in the works, and took over the reigns of Justice League, which isn't exactly small potatoes. I think a lot of people would hope their career was going that badly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Didn't he dial back writing and directing after all the stress from the first Avenger's movie? Even after their fuckups with James Gunn, Disney would have backed up a dump truck full of money to get Wheadon to direct another Marvel movie.

Providing nothing worse comes out about him, his career is just fine. He may be an rear end, but movie goers don't care that the unseen man who wrote and directed their favorite movies is a hypocrite.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't get how he was able to still have everyone thinking he was some woke feminist after Dollhouse.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sextro posted:

Perfect! Just what I needed. Now to figure out if the theater near me with 1570 format and the Digital (tiny) format is using the bigger screen for the 3d showing...

If they give you a diagram for assigned seating, you can probably figure out which session is in the bigger theater.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

If they give you a diagram for assigned seating, you can probably figure out which session is in the bigger theater.

Seatmap for both viewings is exactly the same...so. Huh.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Didn't he dial back writing and directing after all the stress from the first Avenger's movie?

I doubt it, considering he did Avengers 2.

Edit: I really want to read a good article, or even a book, that dives deep on the nitty-gritty of early Marvel Studios (running off Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon and Patty jenkins as directors, ridiculously low-balling actors) and their eventual PR victory.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 3, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I doubt it, considering he did Avengers 2.

That one nearly killed him. Apparently his first cut was 4 hours.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Skwirl posted:

That one nearly killed him. Apparently his first cut was 4 hours.

Yeah, I remember him being really bitter about the final movie, almost immediately after it came out. Reminded me of Favreau, who seemed lined up to do The Avengers before he peaced out from the MCU creatively.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I remember him being really bitter about the final movie, almost immediately after it came out. Reminded me of Favreau, who seemed lined up to do The Avengers before he peaced out from the MCU creatively.

Now he just gets to mac on Marissa Tomei, not a bad career move if I do say so myself.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Skwirl posted:

Now he just gets to mac on Marissa Tomei, not a bad career move if I do say so myself.

If Favreau and Pesci can, then whom amongst us?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

hell yeah just finished this and i can't believe the chainsaw duel with cameron diaz and javier bardem

(i havent watched it yet but im gonna now)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Almost Blue posted:

This is one of the highest endorsement's you could have given it for me.

You're drat straight it is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never got around to watching the Millennium movies, until this weekend where I watched the Fincher version of Dragon Tattoo with the wife. Would I be missing anything if I jumped into the Swedish adaptations of the other 2 films of that trilogy? I'm not sure I really need to see the same story again as I believe the US adaptation of the book is fairly accurate to the source matreial?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mierenneuker posted:

Ken Kirzinger, who played Jason in Freddy vs Jason, tells a similar story. He was dead set on doing the "Jason on Fire through a cornfield" scene, and was flat out told no by the producers. While he was a stuntman, they told him they had hired him to be an actor on the film, so a stuntman ended up doing the burn scene.

Then, on the last day of filming, they said, the other stuntmen are busy, so since you're a stuntman, we're just going to launch you from the back of this van.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never got around to watching the Millennium movies, until this weekend where I watched the Fincher version of Dragon Tattoo with the wife. Would I be missing anything if I jumped into the Swedish adaptations of the other 2 films of that trilogy? I'm not sure I really need to see the same story again as I believe the US adaptation of the book is fairly accurate to the source matreial?

The Fincher movie made some pretty big changes, so it won’t be the smoothest adjustment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's a shame. Maybe I'll just put it off a while, then jump in from the beginning.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
I have no idea what big changes you're crediting to Fincher's version except it's in English, there's the James Bondage opening sequence, and Orinoco Flow.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

the James Bondage opening sequence

That really is the best way to describe the opening sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Question about Us:

At the end, when Red is talking to Adelaide while they're in the classroom, why do the shots of Red's face, the very close ones, with Adelaide in the background, look off? Red's face looks very off to me, and I can't explain why. It's like it's fake, or too rubbery, or something.

Why is that? Is it just an issue of too close?