Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Turkeybone posted:

I remember getting an achewood cookbook for like my birthday or christmas years and years ago, it was surprisingly legit -- I think whoever makes it definitely has industry experience.

You should read the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah you couldn't write Lyle without having worked in a "fried bean restaurant"

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Got an interview to manage a cheese shop this morning. It'll be weird not cooking 60+ hours a week, that's for sure.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
So you're gonna be the Chef de Fromage?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Chef de Cheesenart, obviously.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Chef de Cheesenart, obviously.

Briesinart?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Chef de Quesonart

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Chef de Makemefart

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Interest check for management sorts (kitchen or bar) do you feel there's any room for a vendor that sells you well executed prepared ingredients of whatever is the latest trend? Like long-term fermented foods (garums, koji inoculated nonsense) or other time/space intensive things you wish you could do but for a litany of reasons you can't.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

On the kitchen side, if it costs too much to do it probably costs way too much to buy.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sextro posted:

Interest check for management sorts (kitchen or bar) do you feel there's any room for a vendor that sells you well executed prepared ingredients of whatever is the latest trend? Like long-term fermented foods (garums, koji inoculated nonsense) or other time/space intensive things you wish you could do but for a litany of reasons you can't.

It's hard, because the kind of place I'd expect to be using things like that, I'd also be expecting to be making them in-house. I could see a lot of use for this coming from trendy lunch spots where you can list the ingredient and use very little of it, rather than upscale dinner places. I think this would be a very location-dependent thing. Probably not gonna get a lot of traction in rural Utah, but SF or Seattle etc, yeah, I'm sure you could do well.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Naelyan posted:

It's hard, because the kind of place I'd expect to be using things like that, I'd also be expecting to be making them in-house. I could see a lot of use for this coming from trendy lunch spots where you can list the ingredient and use very little of it, rather than upscale dinner places. I think this would be a very location-dependent thing. Probably not gonna get a lot of traction in rural Utah, but SF or Seattle etc, yeah, I'm sure you could do well.

I could execute items like this at a fairly low margin for the concept. Also as a vendor my expectation would be clients lying about providence or claiming a collaboration as in-house. Guess I need to find enough clients to justify not just renting space to food trucks.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Can someone explain to me wtf koji is?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ApolloSuna posted:

Can someone explain to me wtf koji is?

It's the mold used to ferment soybeans into miso and/or soy sauce. Strictly speaking, koji is the rice (or sometimes soybeans) that's been inoculated with the mold, sort of like a sourdough starter.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I think the big thing to keep in mind is that small batch fermentation/pickling for bulk or retail sale requires a ton of HACCP in most jurisdictions which is why the kind of places that serve that stuff are generally set up to from day one. It's not like Brad from BA where you can throw some stuff in a jar with a label on it and let it sit in the corner for however long.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 31, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Coasterphreak posted:

I think the big thing to keep in mind is that small batch fermentation/pickling for bulk or retail sale requires a ton of HAACP in most jurisdictions which is why the kind of places that serve that stuff are generally set up to from day one. It's not like Brad from BA where you can throw some stuff in a jar with a label on it and let it sit in the corner for however long.

Conveniently enough I've both the certs for writing up HAACP plans that L&I is always happy to see and an already extant commercial space that's currently underutilized, up to date, and permitted for food prep for various venues of sale. This is the one side of things I feel most confident about haha.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 31, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
If you're comfortable with the food safety side of things, then yeah, if you're in a metro area with a "food scene" you could probably find a market as a niche producer for high end places, I'd think your biggest problem from there would be that the kind of places willing to spend that kind of money won't want to be selling the same thing as the competition down the road.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Initial idea in my head has a limited/seasonal "off the shelf selection" but with the real meat+potatoes being getting chefs to work with me to get "bespoke/crafted/unique/whatever floats their boat' items for just them alone. Can even blow smoke up their skirts about their product having its own unique heritage of bacterial cultures if they order consistently.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I totally just ferment poo poo in a storage room that the food inspectors don't go into... KIMCHI GREEN BEANS

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

pile of brown posted:

I totally just ferment poo poo in a storage room that the food inspectors don't go into... KIMCHI GREEN BEANS

hey man, i'm a natural winemaker. it just comes with the territory

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

idiotsavant posted:

hey man, i'm a natural winemaker. it just comes with the territory

Do you serve it with canned sardines? It's weird but there's a bunch of restaurants serving natural wine with sardines around here now. In my mind it's the last combination I could think of wanting to eat. I don't know who came up with the name natural wine but it's a great marketing move because I think it should be called sour gross wine. They seem to be a hit though.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Working with a postnasal drip due to spring allergies sucks.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Eh, sardines taste fine with the right wine. Also it’s an easy appetizer that’s shelf stable and doesn’t require any prep other than opening up a tin and cutting some bread. And there are definitely some gnarly natural wines out there but volume-wise there’s way more gnarly conventional stuff. “Sour gross wine” is more on the shop curation imo.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

1. CdC: gouda luck on the cheese shop job! (sorry, I couldn't resist)
2. Today I learned about natural wines, never heard of that before. Is there a big difference, other than catering to the organic co-op crowd?
2a. I freaking love sardines (and make art out of the cans, if anyone's willing to ship me some*), but I always enjoy them with beer. What kind of wines do they pair them with?
3. Just picked up my first full 81.12 hour paycheck from the new job and :shlick: thinkin bout thos digits

On that last note: we get paid on Mondays, which is a first for me (except when I was a county library employee, we got paid the 14th and 28th of the month. If one of those days fell on a bank holiday, we got paid the Friday before). Any industry folk ever have that? I can think of some reasons why it would make sense, but I'm just kinda curious if it's an anomaly or standard practice in more froo-froo places than I've worked before.

*Edit: shoulda specified, empty cans, if anyone's store goes thru a lot. Though hey, I'll take full cans too!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 1, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Classic article

https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-nyc-restaurant-scene-april-fools-2019-story.html

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
the first piece of food writing I've enjoyed in years!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

1. CdC: gouda luck on the cheese shop job! (sorry, I couldn't resist)
2. Today I learned about natural wines, never heard of that before. Is there a big difference, other than catering to the organic co-op crowd?
2a. I freaking love sardines (and make art out of the cans, if anyone's willing to ship me some*), but I always enjoy them with beer. What kind of wines do they pair them with?
3. Just picked up my first full 81.12 hour paycheck from the new job and :shlick: thinkin bout thos digits

On that last note: we get paid on Mondays, which is a first for me (except when I was a county library employee, we got paid the 14th and 28th of the month. If one of those days fell on a bank holiday, we got paid the Friday before). Any industry folk ever have that? I can think of some reasons why it would make sense, but I'm just kinda curious if it's an anomaly or standard practice in more froo-froo places than I've worked before.

*Edit: shoulda specified, empty cans, if anyone's store goes thru a lot. Though hey, I'll take full cans too!

When I was still cheffing it was unusual to not get paid on a Monday but that was Australia so ymmv

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Payday is almost always dependent on what day the pay period ends, my current place runs their week W-Tu so we get paid every other Wednesday.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
We pay twice a month on the 5th and 20th, regardless of the day of the week, but if it's sat or sun we get paid the Friday before.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

This is a challenging thing since there's no regulations in place on what saying "natural" on your label actually means to the consumer. Common practice is generally that you're not using pesticides, you're not fining or filtering with anything, you're not adding sulfites as a preservative, and you're fermenting with the yeast that naturally occurs on the skins of the grapes (e.g., what is native to the environment and thus a truer expression of terroir) instead of pitching a lab-made yeast blend. This is all done by the winemaker in pursuit of a product that more accurately expresses its native region's terroir, for the most part, but no one will deny that it's beneficial these days to have those words on your label to profit off of those chucklefucks who buy things because they say Natural! and Organic! on them.

I would do sardines with maybe a Muscadet or Sancerre, which are both very dry, mineral and zesty French whites. But my preference would be to do as the Spanish do and have sardines with a glass of fino sherry.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Herbicides, too. The general idea behind natural wine is that there’s a lot you can do behind the scenes to manipulate the wine you make and natural winemakers want to avoid as much manipulation as possible, especially manipulation through chemical additions and subtractions. Generally that’s pretty much what prayer group said: organic or beyond organic farming, no inoculations, little to no chemical additions, no filtering/fining.

The analogy I make is bread baking. You can grow your own starter from your friendly neighborhood yeasts, maybe use heirloom grains that are local to the area, and make a “natural” bread. You can inoculate flour and water with bakers yeast and make regular “commercial” bread. Or you can use all the technology at your disposal to produce the exact same loaf of wonderbread over and over regardless of ingredients.

Given that it isn’t an official designation of any sort, natural wine can be kind of a mess. One person will say it’s only natural wine if you don’t use any sulfur (a preservative) at all, ever. One person will say you can use so much sulfur that it’s almost meaningless, and that you can find the wine but you can’t filter. Some of the anti-chemical stuff is about healthier integrated farming practices, and some is straight up woo.

I think a good comparison can be biodynamic farming. There’s definitely some wacky stuff involved but at the same time it generally gets you to pay more attention to your crops, and that can lead to some amazing quality or unique ingredients that are really exciting to cook with. Sometimes, though, it leads to a lot of wormy broccoli.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Natural wine can also be a mess because it is basically discarding several centuries of human experience in how to ferment grapes without getting off-flavors and thus waste.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'd rather end up with a weird bottle of pickle juice than "91 points wine spectator" of generic whatever that just tastes like someone dialed in a flavor profile they found on a wiki. So if I'm not already familiar with something, or have guidance in my shopping I almost always go for a bottle of "natural wine".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Do you feel that way about all foods and beverages, or just wine? As I get older I appreciate things tasting like I expect them to.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I absolutely shift my expectations based on mood or the folk I'm with. Sometimes it makes sense that I'd just want a crisp lager or a cheap basic buttery Chardonnay, other times I'd absolutely order the weirdest poo poo on the menu. Gimme that chocolate desert with powdered shiitake mushroom dust and matcha that everyone else at the table is scared of.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

An oversimplification, but pretty much yes. If I'm looking for something specific that's not the case, I want what I'm looking for of course. But if I'm buying a bottle or trying a glass just to try some wine. Yeah. I'm going for the option with the highest chance of being a novel experience.

I've never once ordered the steak entree outside of the last time I went to a steak house because a steak is a steak and every menu is going to have something more interesting that I'm less able to do a better job of myself.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sextro posted:

I've never once ordered the steak entree outside of the last time I went to a steak house because a steak is a steak and every menu is going to have something more interesting that I'm less able to do a better job of myself.

Even before I started working in restaurants, that's been my game plan. I'll always order the poo poo I couldn't make at home (or can't be assed to). Even if it's a taco truck, hell yeah i am ordering lengua bc I'm still a bit squeamish about dealing with a whole cow tongue, but gently caress if it isn't delicious.

That said, sometimes it is nice to try someone else's take on a dish you're comfortable with. Like, I love my coquille st Jacque recipe, I've been making it at home for 20+ years now (yes I am old), but if I see that on the menu I might be tempted to order it just to see how someone else does it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Having had uncountable numbers of lovely craft beers foisted on me as a 'novel experience', there is absolutely a lot to be said for best practices.

Jesus H. Christ the number of sins they try to cover with hops.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I love me sours and I'm afraid that vinegar will be the new hops to do the same.

Place I used to buy all my beer from isn't convenient anymore and after stopping by a few other shops I realize how hoarder it is. Lots of IPAs, good selection of sours, maybe 1 or 2 different wheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Natural wine + salty fish is super common in Portugal, Spain, Italy & Madeira and it's loving delicious. Just did a Portugese wine seminar + grand tasting yesterday and ate hella little fishes with bright whites and it was a good rear end day.