Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shifty Pony posted:

Trump's messaging "genius" is lying literally all of the time about everything while insisting it was all some master plan when he gets called out and cornered with a lie. He does this because he doesn't have a good understanding of almost anything but also has a pathological need to never admit a flaw, so he just bullshits. They are not smart lies at all, in fact most of them are very very dumb lies, but people are more accepting of things that confirm their beliefs so they conclude that Trump stands for things they like while dismissing everything else as "oh he didn't mean that he's just lying to people who care about that so they vote for him".

I mean you've got Popehat speculating that he might be defamation-lawsuit-proof because he's so well known for being incredibly full of poo poo that a reasonable person would assume he's just making poo poo up. His lying is so prolific and shameless it raises new legal questions.

Unfortunately, this isn't a new legal question. Fox News has been operating under this defense for some time. Bill O' Reilly was sued for defamation and the judge said he was such a clown no reasonable person would take him seriously. I can't find a source (he's been sued a lot), but I remember the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

of course the dumb loving krassensteins are the top two comments.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The center is dumb (it's definitely April Fools)

https://twitter.com/Overlapping/status/1112798210672619520

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shifty Pony posted:

Trump's messaging "genius" is lying literally all of the time about everything while insisting it was all some master plan when he gets called out and cornered with a lie. He does this because he doesn't have a good understanding of almost anything but also has a pathological need to never admit a flaw, so he just bullshits. They are not smart lies at all, in fact most of them are very very dumb lies, but people are more accepting of things that confirm their beliefs so they conclude that Trump stands for things they like while dismissing everything else as "oh he didn't mean that he's just lying to people who care about that so they vote for him".

I mean you've got Popehat speculating that he might be defamation-lawsuit-proof because he's so well known for being incredibly full of poo poo that a reasonable person would assume he's just making poo poo up. His lying is so prolific and shameless it raises new legal questions.

In other words everyone else in the 2016 Republican Primary failed because they were playing the part of the obnoxious incurious moron. Trump has been living that role for much of his life. His entire public personality has been artificial for so long it's all that he has and understands. Everything is extremes to him. Big Water, Best Deals, Worst People, Greatest Persecution.

He's been the poor person's idea of what a rich person is like and his presidency has been carried out the way a Tea Party True Believer thought that Obama was going to Any Day Now.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Lycus posted:

I think I got it. She thinks Carrey is criticizing Italy in general, so she's going, "What about this bad thing that America did?!"

I think you are right. Too bad attacking Mussolini isn't attacking Italians. After all, Italians killed Mussolini.

I'm not a good student of history or really politics, but it is kinda weird to me that Italy is so closely tied both to anarchism and to fascism. I mean, in the early 20th century, the first Red scare very much focused on Italian Americans for their perceived connection to anarchy, no? And then short time later Italian Americans are suspicious because they might be supporters of Mussolini.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

alpha_destroy posted:

I think you are right. Too bad attacking Mussolini isn't attacking Italians. After all, Italians killed Mussolini.
Lynching that shitbag was Italy's greatest contribution to the 20th century.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He hasn't even bothered responding to her, he's just letting the rest of the internet dunk on her for him

it's not hard, she's a Mussolini, they're kinda known for being hanging targets

"Low-hanging fruit" was right there for you.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hold on is Comey saying we need someone in the middle in an April Fools joke an admission that he finds the idea preposterous? Or am I reading too much into it and it's just a poorly-crafted prank?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lycus posted:

I think I got it. She thinks Carrey is criticizing Italy in general, so she's going, "What about this bad thing that America did?!"

Well, criticism of Mussolini being criticism of Italy lines up nicely with current events... :cripes:

Deified Data posted:

Hold on is Comey saying we need someone in the middle in an April Fools joke an admission that he finds the idea preposterous? Or am I reading too much into it and it's just a poorly-crafted prank?

It's the latter

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Taerkar posted:

In other words everyone else in the 2016 Republican Primary failed because they were playing the part of the obnoxious incurious moron. Trump has been living that role for much of his life. His entire public personality has been artificial for so long it's all that he has and understands. Everything is extremes to him. Big Water, Best Deals, Worst People, Greatest Persecution.

He's been the poor person's idea of what a rich person is like and his presidency has been carried out the way a Tea Party True Believer thought that Obama was going to Any Day Now.

Trump wouldn't have even made it through the Republican primary if there had been less candidates

He didn't have a plan at the start, it was a grift to raise his profile. But he kept getting pluralities (Not majorities!) during the early primary season. Had Jeb, or Rubio, or Ted Cruz, or literally any one of the other major candidates (or probably if it were only two) been the only person competing with him, he never would have gotten the nomination. Cruz was still trying to scrape something together in the handful of months right before.

Trump clearly had no idea that would happen. He just knew that he could say things, get adoration. The unique circumstances of the race, which he was not purposefully trying to exploit, allowed him to win.

During the general campaign, the majority of the votes he received were simply because he was a Republican.

The man isn't a genius at anything. He's a conman who was in the right place at the right time, and not because of any savvy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Deified Data posted:

...the joke is that he's not running, you are overthinking this a lot

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I hope that's not a trial-balloon.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

It's a good april fools prank y'all

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

mdemone posted:

Except it's not low-hanging, quite the opposite.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

I don't use gendered slurs!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ague Proof posted:

I hope that's not a trial-balloon.

it's obviously not, and even if it was, who cares, the man doesn't have a constituency

The left sees him as giving us Donald Trump, the right sees him as betraying Donald Trump, there's nobody who wants him and he'd affect nothing

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

it's obviously not, and even if it was, who cares, the man doesn't have a constituency

The left sees him as giving us Donald Trump, the right sees him as betraying Donald Trump, there's nobody who wants him and he'd affect nothing

James Comey/Hilary Clinton 2020 ticket for most unlikely candidates.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The DC Foreign Policy Consensus-pushed coup in Venezuela is taking another crack at changing some minds. If you're wondering "so whose faildaughter is this?" the answer is Guaido's economic adviser.

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1112742108958478339?s=19

NYT is Bad.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

theflyingorc posted:

I take it it's the same #Resistance "liberals" that retweet NeverTrumps and want Republicans to save us from Trump with the 25th Amendment.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lycus posted:

I take it it's the same #Resistance "liberals" that retweet NeverTrumps and want Republicans to save us from Trump with the 25th Amendment.

He's not even popular among those groups, though he probably was briefly after he was fired

I hate Comey a lot less than the average person posting in this thread, and I wouldn't come close to voting for him, nor do I know almost anyone who would vote for him. He doesn't have an argument to make for his candidacy

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

theflyingorc posted:

Trump wouldn't have even made it through the Republican primary if there had been less candidates

He didn't have a plan at the start, it was a grift to raise his profile. But he kept getting pluralities (Not majorities!) during the early primary season. Had Jeb, or Rubio, or Ted Cruz, or literally any one of the other major candidates (or probably if it were only two) been the only person competing with him, he never would have gotten the nomination. Cruz was still trying to scrape something together in the handful of months right before.

Trump clearly had no idea that would happen. He just knew that he could say things, get adoration. The unique circumstances of the race, which he was not purposefully trying to exploit, allowed him to win.

During the general campaign, the majority of the votes he received were simply because he was a Republican.

The man isn't a genius at anything. He's a conman who was in the right place at the right time, and not because of any savvy.

That is quite likely, but again things happened how they did because he wasn't playing a part. He was the racist and sexist monster that enough of the base wanted to endure while others faded away. The winner-takes-all nature of the GOP primary ensured that he only needed the pluralities and I'm honestly not certain that any other candidate would have necessarily beaten him if there were less contenders. Jeb was a less interesting Romney, Rubio kinda looks like The Other, Ted Cruz is Ted Cruz. Each one of them had bits that made them unlikable to the ugly fervent base of the GOP that Trump naturally appealed to.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He hasn't even bothered responding to her, he's just letting the rest of the internet dunk on her for him

it's not hard, she's a Mussolini, they're kinda known for being hanging targets

:master:

If she really wanted to get him on equivalence, she'd bring up his role in the current anti-Vaxer debate.

Meatball posted:

I grow tired of this "middle of the road" people who almost inevitably list a bunch of conservative ideas.

Also that picture makes me think of a line from Mr. Miyagi from karate kid: "Left side of road, safe. Right side of road, safe. Middle of road, *splat*, squished like grape."

Naw, They Live...

quote:

Frank: I got a job now and I plan on keeping it. I'm walking a white line all the time. I don't bother nobody. Nobody bothers me. You better start doing the same!
Nada: White line's in the middle of the road. That's the worst place to drive.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Rosa Park singular

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Why not, there's not much daylight between him and Joe Biden, the most likely Democrat nominee

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1112799751467143174

selec
Sep 6, 2003

South Americans with German-origin surnames who hate leftists...what is the story there I wonder?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Everyone assumed that as normal secret-ghoul GOP candidates dropped out, their support would go to others and the open ghoul Trump would eventually be overwhelmed. But that really wasn't the case, he still picked up some of that support. We may see that come around on the Dem side as centrists drop out and Bernie gets some of their supporters.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Taerkar posted:

That is quite likely, but again things happened how they did because he wasn't playing a part. He was the racist and sexist monster that enough of the base wanted to endure while others faded away. The winner-takes-all nature of the GOP primary ensured that he only needed the pluralities and I'm honestly not certain that any other candidate would have necessarily beaten him if there were less contenders. Jeb was a less interesting Romney, Rubio kinda looks like The Other, Ted Cruz is Ted Cruz. Each one of them had bits that made them unlikable to the ugly fervent base of the GOP that Trump naturally appealed to.
Yeah, but NeverTrump was actually a pretty major thing until the convention. He was having trouble getting over 40% until New York. He had his base of about ~35% of the party, it's really really possible, I'd say likely, that all the other people splitting their vote among their favorites wouldn't have picked him.

Eltoasto posted:

Everyone assumed that as normal secret-ghoul GOP candidates dropped out, their support would go to others and the open ghoul Trump would eventually be overwhelmed. But that really wasn't the case, he still picked up some of that support. We may see that come around on the Dem side as centrists drop out and Bernie gets some of their supporters.
They didn't drop out until it was far too late. Yes, that was the assumption, but his percentages didn't really jump until he was already likely to win. Everyone "knowing" that he would lose meant that they stayed in far, far longer than they would have.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 1, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me but there do exist a probably statistically significant number of people whose first choice is Biden and whose second choice is Bernie.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A huge reason why Trump was able to win the primaries was because Republicans have so
many winner take all states where he was able to take every delegate with just a plurality.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pakled posted:

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me but there do exist a probably statistically significant number of people whose first choice is Biden and whose second choice is Bernie.

Donald Trump is president. You haven't realized that the way people vote is "kind of" stupid?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

The DC Foreign Policy Consensus-pushed coup in Venezuela is taking another crack at changing some minds. If you're wondering "so whose faildaughter is this?" the answer is Guaido's economic adviser.

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1112742108958478339?s=19

NYT is Bad.

I will never understand this thread's determination to paint recognizing Guaido as a US-led coup attempt.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

I will never understand this thread's determination to paint recognizing Guaido as a US-led coup attempt.
If the US is bad then everything not the US is good.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

You think he's leading it?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
more people need to read chuck boone's posts in the venezuela thread

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mango sentinel posted:

Good: Sanction country through peaceful means to encourage the deposition of a leader and allow for new elections

Bad: Just assign a new president to a country and then threaten invasion if they don't comply.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1112785941935087616

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Good: Sanction country through peaceful means to encourage the deposition of a leader and allow for new elections

Bad: Just assign a new president to a country and then threaten invasion if they don't comply.
Actually they are both bad, but also Venezuelans have agency.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mango sentinel posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1088822095168131077?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

I am kinda surprised theres a Mussolini in Italian politics.

The father of Italy, Garibaldi, marched against the armies of the Papal States, drew the borders of the Vatican with a spear, unified Italy, lynched every rapist priest he could get his hands on, and was immortalized by an array of Masonic statues marching in glory towards the Gilded City, that one day he might finish the job.

Mussolini turned them around as part of his deal with the Catholic Church. Every statue of the leader who rose with the Italian people to destroy the Papal States, uniting what had been divided for over a thousand years was twisted, corrupted into the service of the pedophilliac conspiracy he lead cavalry charges against.

After the War, the United Nations Organization reasserted the Catholic Church's claim to extraterritoriality, first put into law by Benito Mussolini.

The statues are still riding the wrong way.