Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The chicken tendeeeeeeeers

are ready to fryyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

My favorite weird JRPG ages in this game are Urianger being 29 and Cid being 34.

I know some Greek Classics majors who are 29 and are just like Urianger, it checks out

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It isn't completely unheard of in war stories for an older grunt to become devoted to a younger officer. It's mostly that the listed ages seem really arbitrary and have little to do with how characters look or act.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Next you're going to tell me that Raubahn is actually 22.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thundarr posted:

It isn't completely unheard of in war stories for an older grunt to become devoted to a younger officer. It's mostly that the listed ages seem really arbitrary and have little to do with how characters look or act.
Yotsuyu being 32 is like the most reasonable age in the game. Also don’t elezen take longer to have puberty?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I mentioned it before but Asashi is older than Zenos

Lmao what

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nessus posted:

Yotsuyu being 32 is like the most reasonable age in the game. Also don’t elezen take longer to have puberty?

Yotsuyu's age is completely reasonable, but it also kind of defines Asahi's age range and he doesn't act like a dude in his 30s. Then again he's a complete psycho so :shrug:

Zenos being bored with life at the top of the food chain by his mid 20s is super weird but he's also a genetic superman in a world full of wimps so again :shrug:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
The official ages don't count. I'm happier with Cid in his 50s and Y'Shtola around 40. Only weird thing is how someone referred to my wrinkled, white haired WoL as their young friend in one cutscene, but maybe that was just charity.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Quote is not edit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Thundarr posted:

Yotsuyu's age is completely reasonable, but it also kind of defines Asahi's age range and he doesn't act like a dude in his 30s. Then again he's a complete psycho so :shrug:

Zenos being bored with life at the top of the food chain by his mid 20s is super weird but he's also a genetic superman in a world full of wimps so again :shrug:

He's got the whole spoiled prince thing, Caracalla was only 29 when he got murdered for his insanity.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thundarr posted:

What's the gap between Z and A like? If Asahi's like 30 and Zenos is like 27 it's not weird. If Asahi is 34 and Zenos is like 21 it's kind of weird.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay, so, I'm having fun with Machinist so far, but the flow to this class seems kinda lovely

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Looks like it's 26 and 27 so it's actually not all that strange, I thought Asahi was listed older than that for some reason.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

S.J. posted:

Okay, so, Machinist so far seems kinda lovely

Fixed

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

S.J. posted:

Okay, so, I'm having fun with Machinist so far, but the flow to this class seems kinda lovely

MCH is three neat ideas that all have lovely flow. Together, they interact and make the lovely flow even shittier. Some people enjoy it, but if you expect that flow problem to improve as you level, you are going to be disappointed. Hopefully the devs will fix it in ShB.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I imagine that if any of the four major rework jobs in ShB are going to a SB Bard-style page one rewrite, it's Machinist.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

I am sorry, but Machinist is gonna be lovely until you hit level 70.

It's like the reverse of BLM, where you get additional layers of mechanics that fundamentally shift how your rotation works.

With MCH, your rotation breaks from the moment you get Gauss Barrel at level 52, and fundamentally breaks worse with each additional skill until you get the last piece at level 70, then you have to re-learn everything, and you realize that poo poo must operate like a loving swiss watch, or your DPS is hosed.

I'm of the opinion that nobody should level MCH at this time, and instead do something more productive, like level literally any other job while crossing your fingers and hope they fix it in ShB.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
MCH is one of the classes on the block to be completely overhauled. Not sure to what, but what everyone wants is more of a Edgar feel from FF6 with lots of cool tools.

While it works as is now, it works as in a Todd Howard "it just works." kind of way full of RNG jank and just mediocre mechanics slammed together than could be cool if they didn't cross gently caress each other and just make things complicated for the sake of being different.

Some people like it. But some people like unsweetened tea too so they aren't to be trusted.

Givin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 1, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And you realize that poo poo must operate like a loving swiss watch, or your DPS is hosed.

Unpopular opinion: this is true of all dps classes with a burst period and people exaggerate how bad it is for mch. Nobody says you shouldn't level drg because your dps will suck if you don't line up your three buffs

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 1, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MCH is just a mess. The Wildfire mechanic is busted on several levels and overheat is just bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

somepartsareme posted:

Unpopular opinion: this is true of all dps classes with a burst period and people exaggerate how bad it is for mch. Nobody says you shouldn't level drg because your dps will suck if you don't line up your three buffs

I agree with this

the beef I have with mch is not "you gotta line up the buff" but how the act of doing so just doesn't feel great

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Givin posted:

MCH is one of the classes on the block to be completely overhauled. Not sure to what, but what everyone wants is more of a Edgar feel from FF6 with lots of cool tools.

While it works as is now, it works as in a Todd Howard "it just works." kind of way full of RNG jank and just mediocre mechanics slammed together than could be cool if they didn't cross gently caress each other and just make things complicated for the sake of being different.

Some people like it. But some people like unsweetened tea too so they aren't to be trusted.

MCH hardly has RNG jank thanks to ammo. BRD's right there if you want RNG.

It's me, the other MCH stan in this thread. MCH is fine, you just need to like a certain playstyle.

I won't argue that the leveling experience sucks, though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

somepartsareme posted:

DRG's leveling experience sucks about as much as MCH's, people say that about the class all the time.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I didn't mention the leveling experience

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I like MCH as well but no way will I play it below 70, its extremely bad.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MCH:
- sucks below 70
- clockwork rotation
- ranged

DRG:
- sucks below 70
- clockwork rotation
- melee

I guess DRG sucks too :thunk:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

S.J. posted:

Love the theme, animations, and some of the mechanics but I figure it will probably be a lot better in ShB and I'd have to relearn stuff anyway so I shelved it for now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
MCH is a good class.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

MCH is a good class.

April Fools

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Flamethrower could've been something good and instead it's got one dumb use!!

Being so ping dependent is also really bad. Just because there's an alternative way to overheat to make ping less of a problem, it still really sucks to have to approach that way. I honestly think heat in general sucks rear end in its current implementation and I'm going to blame it for why flamethrower sucks.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dryzen posted:

Flamethrower could've been something good and instead it's got one dumb use!!

It's godlike in Rival Wings! :pseudo:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

somepartsareme posted:

Nobody says you shouldn't level drg

somepartsareme posted:

I didn't mention the leveling experience

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Emalde posted:

It's godlike in Rival Wings! :pseudo:

Yeah, that kind of makes it worse in a not making GBS threads on pvp way.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Read the rest of the post. Particularly the word "because" and then the part where I don't say "of the leveling experience"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Would be nice if Flamethrower just became a button to instantly overheat and they reused the animation for something else, but that's the only QoL I can really think of. Maybe let us pop Wildfire early? Who knows.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Having a button to end Wildfire early would add some strategy to MCH. Especially if it added bonus damage.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

remove heat or remove gauss barrel... make your choice

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dryzen posted:

remove heat or remove gauss barrel... make your choice

Gauss Barrel because it's ugly.

Yes, I can hide it on my end, but others can still see the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'd like if MCH got new sound effects so it's guns had more oomph to them instead of sounding like popguns.