Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I've seen leaks including three found classes, 'play as enemies', and high-playercount servers. I think it's pretty clear why they stated a lot of this is cut content, rather than future content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm just hoping they eventually bring back my favorite alien murdermonster Acrid.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So as it turns out, Huntress becomes exponentially more powerful at the higher stage counts, provided you live that long. This is what I found out going for the 20 stages achievement (On Drizzle, admittedly). At a certain point the ideas of 'aiming' and 'hitting a single target' become completely unusable. Huntress is great because you just shoot in the general direction of things and her laser glaive is actually kind of insane once there is literally not a single spot on the screen that doesn't have an enemy on it. For all of MUL-T's power, he's not very good at trash clears (on his own, anyways, ignoring the big ball of death), and at a certain point EVERYTHING is to be considered trash. Anyways I'm glad I got that achievement, I'll never ever do another run this long again, my hands and soul hurt.

Huntress's bow becomes loving hilarious at this amount of attack speed by the way. I kinda wanna drag a MUL-T or Commando this deep in just to see the sheer bullet count.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Atoramos posted:

I've seen leaks including three found classes, 'play as enemies', and high-playercount servers. I think it's pretty clear why they stated a lot of this is cut content, rather than future content.

They've mentioned the last two things explicitly in devlogs, along with having a few short gameplay clips of in-development bandit and sniper.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Avasculous posted:

I saw some other flavor text about 'returning' to the planet, so I'm pretty sure it's chronologically after RoR1.

People dug into the game files and found out the other four classes.

No Acrid :smith:

LOOKING TO SELL STEAM ACCOUNT WITH ROR1 AND 2 ON IT

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Atoramos posted:

And for those curious.....video of two of the spoiled items in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ61L6EywXk

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I Said No posted:

I have literally no idea what it's talking about though, I don't recall ever seeing an obelisk anywhere.

This thing isn't in a spoiler. You can hover over the locked characters in the log and it will explicitly what to do to unlock them.
As for how to actually find it: after you loop there's a random chance that a blue portal will appear at the teleporter. sometimes it will take you to the area with the obelisk.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This thing isn't in a spoiler. You can hover over the locked characters in the log and it will explicitly what to do to unlock them.
As for how to actually find it: after you loop there's a random chance that a blue portal will appear at the teleporter. sometimes it will take you to the area with the obelisk.

blue is for lunar shop, obelisk is celestial

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

So as it turns out, Huntress becomes exponentially more powerful at the higher stage counts, provided you live that long. This is what I found out going for the 20 stages achievement (On Drizzle, admittedly). At a certain point the ideas of 'aiming' and 'hitting a single target' become completely unusable. Huntress is great because you just shoot in the general direction of things and her laser glaive is actually kind of insane once there is literally not a single spot on the screen that doesn't have an enemy on it. For all of MUL-T's power, he's not very good at trash clears (on his own, anyways, ignoring the big ball of death), and at a certain point EVERYTHING is to be considered trash. Anyways I'm glad I got that achievement, I'll never ever do another run this long again, my hands and soul hurt.

Huntress's bow becomes loving hilarious at this amount of attack speed by the way. I kinda wanna drag a MUL-T or Commando this deep in just to see the sheer bullet count.

Man, I've got to try that. I've attempted it twice with Engineer (making it to stage 13 and 16), Huntress shall be the next challenger then.

Also... Is that an environment log of the Bazaar? How did you get that?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They've mentioned the last two things explicitly in devlogs, along with having a few short gameplay clips of in-development bandit and sniper.

https://twitter.com/the_hopoo/status/1111874716627681280

I think I remember word that Hopoo ended up abandoning Bandit after the initial protoype because he didn't translate well to 3D. I wouldn't miss him, never liked his gimmicks - fire faster by pressing the button faster, the lights out skill-reset and stealthmode - and would prefer a more unique character. I wouldn't be surprised if HAN-D was added only as a prototype and MUL-T was salvaged from the remains, a melee character really needs high mobility like Mercenary to work. Wouldn't mind to see the Miner make a return, though.

I miss Acrid.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 1, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Miner but where you have full control of the drill charge, allowing you to fly around with it for a few seconds.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

ZearothK posted:

My hope for Sniper is essentially Kurt from MDK.

I haven't thought about MDK1/2 in a long time. Who needs a drop pod when you dive into the world?

I think they should make palette swaps of the characters when you're playing with others. Kind of like Doom guy or Duke in multiplayer.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Palette swaps would be good (or custom palette options) but really I want custom skins later down. Steam Workshop support custom skins would be amazing. Just Steam Workshop in general would be great too, would love to see custom classes people would come up with.

midivan
Mar 7, 2019
3D printer with the Extra Jump item

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've noticed it's comically easy to get out of bounds on most of the maps at the moment. Not that I expect that would be a high priority in early access. But with something like the huntress blink I don't know if they'll ever be able to lock that down entirely. Even putting up a bunch of invisible walls won't necessarily help, as it's already pretty easy for her to blink right through walls. Maybe surrounding the entire map with an invisible 'teleport back to start' field or something.

Also I wonder if there are plans for any variety in the individual maps. Right now it seems like the basic map geometry is set, and the only changes outside of one or two doors being open or not is in where shrines, loot, and teleporters are placed. RoR1 had a lot of level variety, but that's a hell of a lot easier to do when you're just working with a bunch of platforms in 2d.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Had a run with MUL-T yesterday that ended after 2 hours due to power failure in my building. Pro-tip: grab ~35 syringes with the 3D printer and turn that nail gun into a loving unstoppable FLAK cannon.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Man, the enemy count looks way smaller than RoR 1's, including the indev ones.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I wonder if they'll use Providence again or make a new final boss for 3D, Providence was a right rear end if you didn't have a good build for him.

The devs said in no uncertain terms that he is super duper dead, so no.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I've noticed it's comically easy to get out of bounds on most of the maps at the moment. Not that I expect that would be a high priority in early access. But with something like the huntress blink I don't know if they'll ever be able to lock that down entirely. Even putting up a bunch of invisible walls won't necessarily help, as it's already pretty easy for her to blink right through walls. Maybe surrounding the entire map with an invisible 'teleport back to start' field or something.

Also I wonder if there are plans for any variety in the individual maps. Right now it seems like the basic map geometry is set, and the only changes outside of one or two doors being open or not is in where shrines, loot, and teleporters are placed. RoR1 had a lot of level variety, but that's a hell of a lot easier to do when you're just working with a bunch of platforms in 2d.

There's variants on some of the maps (distant roost may or may not have a bridge going out) but not really much of them now, no.

I really hate the only stage 4 in the game right now. It's way too dark.

Avasculous posted:

I saw some other flavor text about 'returning' to the planet, so I'm pretty sure it's chronologically after RoR1.

People dug into the game files and found out the other four classes.

No Acrid :smith:

Risk of Rain 1 all but flat-out states it's not the first time people have been to the planet, though.

I'm looking forward to the logs being done.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 1, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

The devs said in no uncertain terms that he is super duper dead, so no.

that's a shame

granted, i've literally never dug into the lore of risk of rain, but with how 2 brings back a bunch of environments, nearly every enemy, and tons of the same items, i would have really liked to also see how providence would make the transition to 3d

really i just hope whatever the final level song ends up being is as good as coalescence

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
fuckin' first syringe at 55 minutes, come onnnnnn game

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

h*ck

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Those green enemies or wisp or whatever seem to be the biggest pain to deal with

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I feel like most of the time when I die in RoR 2 I don't have the remotest idea of what actually killed me.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I feel like most of the time when I die in RoR 2 I don't have the remotest idea of what actually killed me.

yeah, and after a certain point death is basically instant

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

What do the different difficulties change?

Just got this for me and my buddy and we had a fun run for 90 minutes before we were shut down. Multiplayer is weird cause the items r shared instead of instanced so u want to coordinate with ur buddies. I was lettin him take the damage and shooting abilities since he was commando and i was taking movement abilities as mercenary.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I haven't done multiplayer, money is shared obviously yea?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I haven't done multiplayer, money is shared obviously yea?

shared income, spent separately

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay I've played a bunch, looped many many times but only found the golden portal once.

Unfortunately the guy I was playing with was too stupid to read, kept attacking the boss before igniting the lantern things and we wiped.

I've yet to see it again.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

replacing the first image with this because it is perfect

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Does the cooldown on the Artificer's M1 benefit from syringes at all?

E: nvm found a syringe printer, yes it does

E2: Or does it

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 1, 2019

midivan
Mar 7, 2019
Catch me in the MP taking all the fungus before any engineers are able to

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, without spoiling much, is Oblitering yourself at the Obelisk the only way to "end" a run right now?

Got there on my first try with MUL-T of all characters.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 1, 2019

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Do we have a discord yet for MP? I'm too terrible to solo :(

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

midivan posted:

Catch me in the MP taking all the fungus before any engineers are able to

I haven't even touched the MP yet. Is it really shared loot? That seems like a regression.

midivan
Mar 7, 2019

space marine todd posted:

I haven't even touched the MP yet. Is it really shared loot? That seems like a regression.

yeah, but theres a lot more loot to go around too.
Just a little bit annoying when someone in your team picks up 4 of the same item after a boss fight

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

I think some of the fire enemies have an invisible hurt aura around them, and once the difficulty ramps up enough it can basically fry you in a few ticks before you have any idea it's happening. The game could probably use some sort of directional damage indicators, and some more obvious audio cues for things as well. Those drat flying wisps might as well be invisible until they shoot you in the back of the head.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
No one seems to be talking about what is by far the best mechanical upgrade in the sequel: not having to scour the entire goddamn map with the timer running to find the one rear end in a top hat monster hiding at the bottom of a pit, blocking you from continuing to the next level.

Cuntellectual posted:

Risk of Rain 1 all but flat-out states it's not the first time people have been to the planet, though.

I'm looking forward to the logs being done.

Oh fair enough, I don't remember that.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Avasculous posted:

No one seems to be talking about what is by far the best mechanical upgrade in the sequel: not having to scour the entire goddamn map with the timer running to find the one rear end in a top hat monster hiding at the bottom of a pit, blocking you from continuing to the next level.

This is definitely a good change. There's just no way the old system would have worked in giant 3d maps like this. Not to mention how likely it is that something will spawn outside of the map making it impossible to ever kill it off.

I don't quite get why they made it lock down all the chests and things outside of the teleporter range until you finish the boss fight. It just seems kind of pointless, it's not like there's any advantage to farming enemies and opening chests during a boss fight vs. doing the same thing outside of a boss fight. Although the red markers do help to locate chests that I've missed sometimes. :shrug:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Although the red markers do help to locate chests that I've missed sometimes. :shrug:

This is actually a mechanic and it has greatly increased my generalized loot anxiety and I can't tell if it's just an april fools thing or not :dogcited:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Emalde posted:

This is actually a mechanic and it has greatly increased my generalized loot anxiety and I can't tell if it's just an april fools thing or not :dogcited:

Cloaked chests have definitely been around since release, no April's fools.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Those green enemies or wisp or whatever seem to be the biggest pain to deal with

Greater wisps were a ballache in the first game if I recall correctly.

Magma Worm is dramatically harder in 3D, it seems. Shooting at it or even just keeping track of where it is means looking away from all of the other enemies.
Also when I last fought it on Rallypoint Delta it spawned in one of the rocky overhangs in the background geometry above the level, and just weaved in and out of that, never coming down to the actual ground. I could just about get it in range of my Huntress by climbing on top of the shipping containers but it was a tedious five minutes of shooting.
And that's still the only time I've managed to beat it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Deep in a Drizzle run to unlock the 20-run challenge. Some findings:

Lunar and Celestial portals both seemed to count, bet Gold portals would as well. You need to hit E on the obelisk to make the tp out appear, just don't hit E again.

Lunar coins should be used on portals and you should seriously consider trading for the red items.

Eventually I out-earn a level in moments, I have so many drones only two or three show up on the left side. Two masks means tons of ghosts.

Dropped Radar on level one and never replaced it. Fuel cells mean nonstop radar and that's super vital to staying fast.

Level 4 has those red chests, you should really know where they can spawn (Radar, really) and you should always delay and open them. They're worth 5 other items.

Eventually fireworks kill most things and I can just focus on running around.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 2, 2019