Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

You've really got a pickle up your rear end about fake meat there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

im ok with never eating beef again

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

the YOU'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG BURGER exists to de-democratize the most american of all foods and put its control back in the hands of big business instead of the wise hands of a dad at the grill

ground beef from the grocery store, that product famously removed from the thrall of big business.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 1, 2019

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Jonny 290 posted:

the YOU'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG BURGER exists to de-democratize the most american of all foods and put its control back in the hands of big business instead of the wise hands of a dad at the grill

but dads who grill usually suck at it

I don’t want a sucky burger

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wake me up when the veggie burgers are cheaper than real ones. Since meat farming is supposedly so inefficient, this should be easy

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

anyone: *mentions that fake meat exists*
middle aged men: they loving WHAT?? they're coming to take my beef! they'll destroy the heart of cuisine, suburban dads burning frozen burgers on backyard grills!!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i dont know if i've had impossible burger but i had some beyond meat brats i think and they were almost disturbingly similar to some of the real ones

i don't care that much about actually replicating meat products to that extent but i guess that might be the only way to reach some people -- at the same time it almost feels like some kind of max-boot-democratic-party-strategy but for vegs

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

aardvaard posted:

anyone: *mentions that fake meat exists*
middle aged men: they loving WHAT?? they're coming to take my beef! they'll destroy the heart of cuisine, suburban dads burning frozen burgers on backyard grills!!

suggesting lowering meat intake is a cardinal sin in America

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

i went to subway last week because i wanted a garbage trashsandwich, and there was a person behind me shouting over the din I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU HAVE IN THE WAY OF KETO OPTIONS

"PITA? NO WE DONT HAVE PITA BREAD"
"NO, KETO"
"YEAH NO WE DONT HAVE THAT, YOU CAN GET ANY SANDWICH AS A SALAD"
"god this place is such a loving dump"

lady nobody held a gun to your head and made you go to subway

going to a place known pretty much exclusively for making terrible bread and expecting a keto option doesn't seem out of the ordinary for anyone hopping on a fad diet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

My Linux Rig posted:

suggesting lowering meat intake is a cardinal sin in America

what are you, some kinda fuckin commie?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
on a low carb diet? better go to the sandwich shop!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

what are you, some kinda fuckin commie?

i decided, entirely on my own, free of outside influence, to consume this quantity of animal products and be drat angry if anyone suggests anything different

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do you realise that in addition to veganizing water, there are studies under way to veganize salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, hamburgers? Hamburgers, Mandrake? Middle-aged men's hamburgers!

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 1, 2019

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
you know what peta stands for??? people eating tasty meat!!! hyuck hyuck hyuck :clint:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

My Linux Rig posted:

you know what peta stands for??? people eating tasty meat!!! hyuck hyuck hyuck :clint:

*extremely maddoxishly* for every steak you dont eat, I'm gunna eat 100!!!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

i have a dipshit relative who is like this; even as a non-vegetarian it's grating

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I have modified my big truck to Roll Charcoal so I can grill and own the libs at the same time

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BMan posted:

Wake me up when the veggie burgers are cheaper than real ones. Since meat farming is supposedly so inefficient, this should be easy
tbf this is so far the biggest issue is that most are not cheaper, except morningstar which sucks rear end or the one chipotle-blackbean burgs from costco.

a $1 for a veggie whopper is actually pretty good price wise. would be good to see that come down to price parity eventually.

then again meat prices in america are generally extremely subsidized via agricultural practices of 100000000 acre-ft of water for $7.5, unrestricted aquifier pumping to depletion, corn subsidies, special agricultural write-offs, and other special interest handouts to Tyson Foods/Hormel/Cargill/Quality Beef Products Inc. etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

becuase it's a lifestyle product. if you want to make a patty out of lentils and beans you can, and it's called a falafel.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

BMan posted:

yeah wake me up when replicating meat with veggies down to the smallest iota of taste costs less then a nickel!!! then maybe I’ll eat these so called “vegetables” my so called “doctor” tells me to eat

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

i dont know if i've had impossible burger but i had some beyond meat brats i think and they were almost disturbingly similar to some of the real ones

i don't care that much about actually replicating meat products to that extent but i guess that might be the only way to reach some people -- at the same time it almost feels like some kind of max-boot-democratic-party-strategy but for vegs

the beyond meat brats rock and are way better than the beyond burgers.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i eat meat still but would gladly not eat it for a given meal if im somewhere where a decent alternative exists. an impossible burger scratches that itch. or like, making sausage with peppers and onions and using one of those beyond meat italian sausages. i think eating less meat is good and worth trying to do but i was raised around meals having a big ol chunk of protein in the middle of the plate so even though i have a few vegetarian meals a week, sometimes you need something like that satisfy you.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Impossible Foods says they want to get regular people to stop eating meat, so they really do need to get the price down. Guilt-based marketing isn't going to cut it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah the recent advances in seitan wheat is enough to get me off meat and i’ll be opting for it whenever it’s available. hail seitan

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
here's an idea for the vegetarian folks: Why don't you just make vegetables taste good by preparing and cooking them well, instead of trying to shoehorn them into pretending to be meat?

India figured this poo poo out long ago. Vegetables Can taste good, but blending them into a slurry and form-injecting them into a burger patty isn't A) fooling anyone? and B) it's not good.

Just make the veggies good. It's not "impossible"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

becuase it's a lifestyle product. if you want to make a patty out of lentils and beans you can, and it's called a falafel.

yeah its this

Sniep posted:

here's an idea for the vegetarian folks: Why don't you just make vegetables taste good by preparing and cooking them well, instead of trying to shoehorn them into pretending to be meat?

India figured this poo poo out long ago. Vegetables Can taste good, but blending them into a slurry and form-injecting them into a burger patty isn't A) fooling anyone? and B) it's not good.

Just make the veggies good. It's not "impossible"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I'd go as far as to say the entire American notion that vegetables tasting good is "impossible" is shooting yourself in the foot branding wise.

How about "Tasty" instead for a slogan

I eat veggies all the drat time and it turns out when you dont just boil/steam everything they can actually taste good

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
whatever happened to that whole WERE GUNNA MAKE EVERYBODY EAT BUGS push from a few years back

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
peoples love of meat vs other things is probably partially influenced by them even accidentally seasoning meat in one way or another all the time and never correctly preparing anything else

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Please read the r/relationships thread for an unending chain of men with baby palates who have panic attacks and gag when forced to consider eating a plant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

whatever happened to that whole WERE GUNNA MAKE EVERYBODY EAT BUGS push from a few years back

I ate a burger made from some kind of big grubs a while back and it was good. I'd eat that stuff on the reg if it wasn't like 25 dollars a pound which completely misses the point

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a vegetable patty has value if it can be made to taste good and be cheap since the form factor is very convenient.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
eggs and dairy are actually harder to replace than meat imo, moreso because while you can pretty easily exclude eating them directly, it's trickier when it comes to other applications like baking and the substitutes aren't always as universal

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

lancemantis posted:

eggs and dairy are actually harder to replace than meat imo, moreso because while you can pretty easily exclude eating them directly, it's trickier when it comes to other applications like baking and the substitutes aren't always as universal

eggs I think are pretty culinarily universal, but the east Asian subcontinent developed without dairy in their staple foods so that's probably okay

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lancemantis posted:

eggs and gluten have no replacement in anything that calls for them.

good luck making a vegan soufflé or a crusty gluten free sourdough.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

They made an episode of The Simpsons about it and then everyone was too ashamed to keep going.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Alternatively there's the guys trying to grow meat in axolotl tanks, I wish them the best of luck

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They made an episode of The Simpsons about it and then everyone was too ashamed to keep going.

german roaches are one of the most caloire efficient foods we could eat. another roach produces highly nutritious milk. except, roaches. i'd eat a ground up cricket loaf or whatever, but i would have trouble tucking into a plate of mopani worms or whatever

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaggar posted:

a vegetable patty has value if it can be made to taste good and be cheap since the form factor is very convenient.

yeah which is why it's hilarious that people melt down over people making them

Sniep posted:

I'd go as far as to say the entire American notion that vegetables tasting good is "impossible" is shooting yourself in the foot branding wise.

It's called impossible because their primary goal was to replicate blood taste which many people had said would be "impossible" to get right, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

also here's an article about cockroach milk, with this great part:

'Lacking nipples, cockroaches cannot be milked in the county fair sense. A cockroach-inspired thirst-quencher, if it ever existed, would more likely come via yeast, he said. Bioengineered yeast is already used in the food industry to produce synthetic sweeteners, for instance.

Plus, the roach brand is bad for business.

“I don’t think anyone is going to like it if you tell them, ‘We extracted crystals from a cockroach and that is going to be food,’ ” Ramaswamy said. Further examination of the crystals will also tell if the roach crystals are toxic to humans.'