Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

There's gently caress all I or anyone reading this can do to stop this, and I really need to internalize that.

Yeah. For whatever reason tonight hasn't hit me too hard. Usually I freak the gently caress out. As is I'm just listening to synthwave and getting high.

Also watching that Nick Boles video. 'Oh Nick! Don't go...'

EDIT - 21 is the age at which you should start getting high. It's bad before you brain before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The US Congress is structurally powerless when different parties control the two chambers, and even when that's not the case the Senate is easily gridlocked by a sufficiently intransigent minority.

Parliament being a catastrophic omnishambles without all those structural problems is kind of amazing in its own terrible way. :torygov:

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Itzena posted:

For reference: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000714

Wonder how much of that Tory vote he could hang on to?

Probably not a lot. Honestly I've got to respect the lengths he's willing to go find a solution. More than you can say of most of his fellow Tories...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

There's gently caress all I or anyone reading this can do to stop this, and I really need to internalize that.

By design there is no democratic control on the government lol

Literally nobody I know even votes in a constituency where their vote counts

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Itzena posted:

isn't his constituency like, 62% leave? they'll probably be voting blue for time eternal

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Stalingrad posted:

Jesus christ, how are there so many contemptuous moronic shits in parliament.

You mean the ancient chamber that was designed to grant power to an aristocracy ripped from the hands of a monarch and then only partially altered to allow the extremely rich to stand before being completely dominated by party frameworks might not select on ability!?!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Itzena posted:

Apparently the constituency is 61% leave, so unless he's remarkably popular with his own electorate (which is rare in a seat that save if your own constituency party is moving to deselect you), not much.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. For whatever reason tonight hasn't hit me too hard. Usually I freak the gently caress out. As is I'm just listening to synthwave and getting high.

Also watching that Nick Boles video. 'Oh Nick! Don't go...'

Wish I could get high but I'm away from heim so I'm just drinking and petting some dogs too hard

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Please be nice to the dogs

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
I really wish the Blairites had been accurate when they said Corbyn and McDonnell were going to purge the party of anyone to the right of them, because it sure would be less loving embarrassing than having such a significant percentage of Labour MPs always backing the stupidest loving options

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah I was joking about the dogs theyr doing fine

Theyr blameless

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Wish I could get high but I'm away from heim so I'm just drinking and petting some dogs too hard

Sorry bud. I don't have any dogs here so I guess we're even, and could possibly both benefit from some sort of economic or cultural exchange

EDIT But no, Brexit means Brexit

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Sex Robot posted:

The DUP changed their minds last minute and noed everything.
Part of me wants to hope they're just actively trolling May at this point. Even if Brexit showered Northern Ireland with free money, ( Besides May's bribe incentive that is ) a pony and three wishes, they'd still vote no.

Lady Demelza posted:

There are now a whole seven MPs discussing the future of rubbish dumps, which somehow seems fitting as that appears to be where we're heading.
I'm sure it'll be three yays, three nays, and one abstain, just to keep the theme going. On the topic of theme, I do find it amusing that all these votes are basically the Brexit full circle.

A slim majority that fucks everything up, is pretty fitting after the referendum that set it all in motion. :haw:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

seizure later posted:

I really wish the Blairites had been accurate when they said Corbyn and McDonnell were going to purge the party of anyone to the right of them, because it sure would be less loving embarrassing than having such a significant percentage of Labour MPs always backing the stupidest loving options

Yeah as easy as it is to blame the CUKLDs it seems like we coulda had some poo poo pass if not for lovely labour MPs voting for bollocks

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

seizure later posted:

isn't his constituency like, 62% leave? they'll probably be voting blue for time eternal

This is quite literally Thatcher's home town he's basically just put himself out of a job.

And by just I mean he'll be in it for three more loving years.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
So what is the process for selecting Labour MPs? Does an MP need to be deselected before a general election is announced, or does it happen after?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so when's the next vote that will end in "the cliff should move out of the way first"?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Parliament had a bad case of blue boles, not anymore!

gently caress that was a bad joke. I blame brexit anxiety.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

double nine posted:

so when's the next vote that will end in "the cliff should move out of the way first"?

Weds I think?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT - 21 is the age at which you should start getting high. It's bad before you brain before then.

Evidently

Pre-emptive :thejoke:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Gort posted:

If it ends up with "Do you want Common Market 2.0 or Customs Union" and one wins that's a majority

Even if you design a motion that says 'voting no is voting for a customs union' MPs could just abstain and it would have no democratic legitimacy. And even if you got a result you'd eventually need to write it into law and a majority could simply vote against that.

Our binary voting system really doesn't allow you to force MPs into voting for something.

The Lord of Hats posted:

How much of this is CUK-style remainers refusing anything that isn't their ideal result?

All of it. It's all their fault. Enough Labour MPs who support a people's vote abstained on CM2.0 that it could've passed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

coffeetable posted:

So what is the process for selecting Labour MPs? Does an MP need to be deselected before a general election is announced, or does it happen after?

It's down to the CLP:

Selection of parliamentary candidates

Functions of the CLP include selecting the local Labour Party candidate for a national parliamentary General Election.

Where there is a sitting Labour MP, the CLP organises a 'trigger ballot' to decide whether it wishes to carry out the full selection procedure outlined below or simply endorse the sitting MP as their candidate at the next election. It is unusual for a sitting MP to 'lose' their trigger ballot.

In the event that the MP is not a Labour MP, or the sitting MP is retiring or has lost their trigger ballot, a full selection is organised. The CLP must follow the procedures agreed by the National Executive Committee including whether or not the selection will be carried out from an open or all-women shortlist.

The CLP can choose whether or not to select a candidate on the Labour Party's panel of approved candidates. However, should the CLP select a candidate not on the panel its decision is subject to the National Executive Committee retrospectively satisfying itself that the candidate reaches the standard required to join the panel.

In this and other circumstances (for example new information emerging about a candidate subsequent to their selection) the National Executive Committee has exercised its power to block a CLP's initial choice of candidate, which has on occasion proved controversial.

It's typically in the run up to the election, if there's time (there wasn't for the snap election last time), but it can happen any time, as it has for a number of poo poo MPs I think.

Good lord, how insanely stupid this all is.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if hoey doesn't get deselected nobody is

she's a fundamentalist leaver who called her leader a traitor in front of a baying fascist crowd from a london constituency what the gently caress

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
At this point I don't even think a General Election announcement would be enough for us to be given a long extension. It'd almost certainly end up with another hung parliament and another year or two of this poo poo.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Owen loving Smith. What a tosser. Wonder how the fubpees will spin that particular outcome

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kate Pooey

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

^^^^ excellent

Elliptical Dick posted:

Evidently

Pre-emptive :thejoke:

Hey ohhhh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

if hoey doesn't get deselected nobody is

she's a fundamentalist leaver who called her leader a traitor in front of a baying fascist crowd from a london constituency what the gently caress

At least when the tabloids and far right get Corbyn killed we'll hopefully get some kinda martyrdom bounce

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Itzena posted:

You mean how much of that vote he can peel away from the Tories while the 15k or so Labour voters drum up more support :getin:

sudo rm -rf posted:

yeah but that's still a lot of loving people

i'm impressed

It's definitely impressive.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Azza Bamboo posted:

You mean how much of that vote he can peel away from the Tories while the 15k or so Labour voters drum up more support :getin:

This.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jabby posted:

Even if you design a motion that says 'voting no is voting for a customs union' MPs could just abstain and it would have no democratic legitimacy. And even if you got a result you'd eventually need to write it into law and a majority could simply vote against that.

Our binary voting system really doesn't allow you to force MPs into voting for something.

Eh, I think you overestimate how much weight we give to abstentions. If Customs Union had won by ten votes but 150 MPs abstained, I think its praises would be sung nonetheless.

Not to mention we have eleven days left until "Voting no is voting for No Deal Brexit" is the reality.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I’m loving furious, godDAMNit

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

StarkingBarfish posted:

Owen loving Smith. What a tosser. Wonder how the fubpees will spin that particular outcome

Corbyn bad is how.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

thespaceinvader posted:

Corbyn bad is how.

Well yeah but owen Smith is good because we need a people's vote not flak jackets for our boys

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Has may made a speech about her intent to bring her deal back to parliament yet?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ahahahaha, just saw the vote results. This Parliament is just 650 MPs in a circle making GBS threads into a bucket over and over and over again

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Rarity posted:

Ahahahaha, just saw the vote results. This Parliament is just 650 MPs in a circle making GBS threads into a bucket over and over and over again

You think that's a bucket? That's a country.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Rarity posted:

The bucket in this metaphor represents the British people

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

We've got that by-election on Thursday to look forward to anyway