Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fishstick posted:

4 stackable poles built on a 2m ramp so you have very small changes in altitude between them, and with some finagling you can make a complete corkscrew. Result: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RareLongDegus-mobile.mp4

This is great. This game really really needs a way to deploy designs en masse. Building smelter columns over and over by hand gets old fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

totalnewbie posted:

Would like to see jump pads (and landers?) use power a bit differently. Now, they seem to draw power constantly. Would really like to see jump pads have a "battery" so they don't always draw power and same with landers OR they draw a lot less power.

This may not be needed with something like solar panels.

Point is I'd want to set up a network of jump pad/landers for travel but it's not practical to do so due to power requirements. Really wasted potential, I feel.

Launching yourself with inclined mk4 belts costs no power and is more fun : )

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Vertical belts are something I'm using so often, that they are starting to feel like they should be a pre fab thing you can build. Building them custom every time feels like busy work.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

conveyor elevators are on the roadmap

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

conveyor elevators are on the roadmap

Yup, supposedly later this very month. Not sure how they'll be implemented but I am looking forward to it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Speedball posted:

Yup, supposedly later this very month. Not sure how they'll be implemented but I am looking forward to it.

I'm hoping it's implemented as a height adjustable or stackable structure that has a vertical loop, with an input and output on the top and bottom so that you can build it and use it to both convey items up and down simultaneously.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
All I ever really want in these types of games is programmable logic and communication for logistics parts, so I can make my fully automated bus that just has to carry what is needed for production at any given moment and optimise the poo poo out of my compartmentalised factory. Don't see it on the road map, so I guess if it comes it'll be long after I burnt myself out on this game like with Factorio :(.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's early access, if that's what you want, you should tell them.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Joda posted:

All I ever really want in these types of games is programmable logic and communication for logistics parts, so I can make my fully automated bus that just has to carry what is needed for production at any given moment and optimise the poo poo out of my compartmentalised factory. Don't see it on the road map, so I guess if it comes it'll be long after I burnt myself out on this game like with Factorio :(.

Yeah I want this for trucks. If the dumping station is full don't keep looking and wasting fuel!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Not like fuel is a limited resource but still.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I got a trouble I hope you guys can help solve. I two friends, one who I can join (and can join me) and one who can join nobody- when he tries it hangs for about a minute then dumps him on the main menu.

Googling, it seems like it might be a NAT thing on his end, and he's not tech-savvy enough to get into that router business and I'm not savvy enough to walk him through it blind. Anyone have any good links or tips to help? I know it's probably router-specific :(

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Just picked this up on recommendation from a friend, and it's absolutely my precise flavor of crack.

But yeah, I'm with you about wanting solar power. It seems odd that you can't make an automated form of power generation until coal, and that really reduces your automatic production capability until you get it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

A rooftop solar farm would be pretty rad.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do you guys dismantle your biomass power once you get coal?
A fully upgraded coal mine gives me A LOT of coal plants. I think one node could meet my power needs for a long long time. I’d just need to find another node for my steel needs.

On that note I’m having problems organizing my factory in a neat way and building a “mall” where all my resources are easily accessible.

Are there any guides or explanations on how to build a neatly organized factory? I’m finding it extremely difficult to pack everything in as I get closer to the assembled stuff.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Kraftwerk posted:

Do you guys dismantle your biomass power once you get coal?
A fully upgraded coal mine gives me A LOT of coal plants. I think one node could meet my power needs for a long long time. I’d just need to find another node for my steel needs.

On that note I’m having problems organizing my factory in a neat way and building a “mall” where all my resources are easily accessible.

Are there any guides or explanations on how to build a neatly organized factory? I’m finding it extremely difficult to pack everything in as I get closer to the assembled stuff.

At this point your best bet for organization is to create a huge factory foundation and run everything down a central bus. This seems to run counter to their gorgeous landscapes, though.

I wish there were options for blasting the landscape to create this, rather than the huge hovering platform I have to put in now.

This bus currently carries 14 items, and I'm up to motors and basic machine frames. Any farther and it will probably make sense to put another bus parallel to this one. I could also work out which items don't need to be carried that far and cut them off in favor of more advanced parts.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It gets a bit more complicated to plan when you hit alternative recipes.

I like and don't like the alternative recipe system. It does add a layer to the exploration aspect which is cool, but it makes future planning hard. I might build a nice big factory but then have to tear up a good chunk of it because I got some different recipes. It's just annoying.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I like to use a "central warehouse" pattern instead of central bus. Each ingredient outputs to a splitter that can then run to several stations. The output of each station can then flow back into the warehouse through the basement.

The wall of containers shows which items are flowing, and acts as a mall where I can top up my personal inventory for construction.

The recipes in this game are grouped into families with very little overlap, so I have one installation like this for heavy modular frames, one for motors, and one for super computers.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

It gets a bit more complicated to plan when you hit alternative recipes.

I like and don't like the alternative recipe system. It does add a layer to the exploration aspect which is cool, but it makes future planning hard. I might build a nice big factory but then have to tear up a good chunk of it because I got some different recipes. It's just annoying.

More incentive to make things more modular. When I started playing I pretty much built a base like factorio, a big central area that did everything, pipe in the raw resources. After getting a bunch of alternate recipes I realized that plan didn't fit in this game. You build outposts that make 1 or 3 or whatever things from nearby raw materials, then ship those where they're needed. It also got me to use more than one truck, which despite being fiddly I found really fun - it was cool to build a factory (or a bunch of distributed factories) that had trucks going all around between them.

I'm torn on busses - they pretty much require you to build in a big flat area which needs either really flat land or a big floating platform, neither of which feels like it's utilizing vertical space nearly as much as it could. The only problem with building vertical is that making conveyor elevators is a tedious space-taking mess. Can't wait till they add conveyor lifts, it'll open a lot more interesting vertical possibilities. Either way it's really interesting to see how people approach building factories, feels like everyone is still figuring out what works.

I played through everything and had a lot of fun, I'm holding off on playing more so I don't get too tired of playing through pretty sparse EA content - but I'm excited to start fresh with what I learned through the first playthrough (and some rebuilds) once some more content is added.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I "finished" my first grassland world, unlocking all the normal recipes. I haven't played Factorio, but I started the way you did - a central construction area that piped in the raw materials and then produced everything. That got really crowded really quickly, and it's basically impossible to navigate now, so I started moving my processes farther and farther out. I put my power station closer to the coal mine that fed it, put my steel foundries near that, etc. It wasn't until the (current) endgame that I actually set up anything more factory-like, but I finally did. A large building with four walls and a ceiling that has three inputs for raw materials - iron ore, coal ore, and limestone - and outputs finished reinforced construction beams.

I actually found that I exclusively use conveyor belts and don't use trucks for shiiiiit. I built one (1) truck and used it one (1) time to carry construction materials and as a portable workbench, but haven't done dick with it past that. Conveyors are so much more convenient, and also double as fast travel infrastructure. What's the benefit to vehicles?

Having reached the top on grasslands, I'm starting a desert biome game. I like that I'm getting to do exploration all over again.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cobbsprite posted:

I actually found that I exclusively use conveyor belts and don't use trucks for shiiiiit. I built one (1) truck and used it one (1) time to carry construction materials and as a portable workbench, but haven't done dick with it past that. Conveyors are so much more convenient, and also double as fast travel infrastructure. What's the benefit to vehicles?

I've been using a truck as mobile storage for sizeable builds because I find I just can't carry enough materials to finish a construction project on my own. I was just setting up steel production last night and I would have had to make multiple kilometer+ treks back to base for more supplies if I didn't have a trunk full of iron plates and advanced plates. Even with a trunk full of supplies, I still ran out of cable and iron plates while running power and a belt back to base.

Other than just as storage, trucks don't seem fast enough to be worth it, plus they destroy all the sweet sweet biomass it touches, and I can't stand wasting resources.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I love that the sugar cube can destroy small trees but a truck gets stopped in its tracks by them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Picked this up over the weekend after hemming and hawing over the EGS for a while, the Giant Bomb content is what tipped me over. I played quite a bit and just got to Coal power but haven't done anything with it yet. I'm liking it a lot but coming from Factorio it is a lot harder to set up compact factories because the assemblers are just so goddamn huge. I did realize I can make basically an infinite stretching platform of foundations in the sky so I'm moving my factory to a giant manmade plateau with the resources being mined/smelted underneath and feeding up to the top. It seems a bit cheap to do it this way but meh it works :shrug:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Satisfactory is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnGd6nt4F4&t=3628s

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I decided to build a tower where each floor produced a separate item that's used either as an ingredient in a building or vehicle, or had been used previously to satisfy a milestone or the space elevator. Furthermore, I wanted each floor to produce these items at the full efficiency of the final step in their construction - that is, the final assembler/constructor/manufacturer would be operating at a consistent 100% efficiency - being fed only raw materials. And then of course, it had to deliver these items to a centralized depot where I could access them from ground level.

Here's an example of what this looks like when you sort of get tired of it halfway through, but still power on until the end.

A shot of the whole ordeal from the original scaffold I used to build the floors

A tale of two elevator methods: on the left, when I was more concerned with some semblance of aesthetics, and the right, where I just wanted to get the dang product to the ground. I know there are absolutely more space efficient and aesthetically pleasing belt elevators than building a whole walkway, but I actually found this easier to build at speed as it was less finnicky in aim and reproducability when half paying attention to a podcast.

For its many flaws, I still think it looks kinda neat.

At the foot of each of those elevator towers is a storage unit, all fed with mk 4. belts. They're ordered Coal, Oil, Copper ore, Limestone, Caterium ore, Iron ore, Iron ore, Iron ore. As you can see, at this level of production I don't need more than 450 units/m of any raw resource besides Iron ore.

An example floor, this one being for Heavy Modular Frames. Nothing particularly good about the layout, as it was kind of freestyled more than it should have been, honestly. It all feeds the somewhat centrally located manufacturer.

All of the finished products flow through the almost comically ugly elevator based on a method I randomly saw on the subreddit into individual storage for access from the ground.

So far, it produces

Iron Plates
Iron Rods
Wire
Cable
Reinforced Iron Plate
Rotor
Modular Frame
Steel Beam
Steel Pipe
Encased Beam
Motor
Heavy Modular Frame
Computer
Quickwire

all at full efficiency for the final step (eg, 2 Heavy Modular Frames per minute). I used this handy calculator to determine the rate of materials I would need, and the efficiency settings I needed for the intermediate buildings to end up with 100% at the end.

Would I recommend this, even done more aesthetically cohesively or with better elevators? Not really, but maybe with the first party elevators in the update. As soon as I turned on the power for the whole thing, my performance when I'm anywhere near it took a real hit - playable but quite uncomfortable in first person and jerky. Could this be improved by walling it all off? Probably? But that sort of defeats the interest of seeing what's going on for me, personally.

Overall, it was mainly something to goof around with after completing all of the milestone tiers available now.

Oh also, this jerk has a habit of flying through it all the time. Real inconsiderate.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Speaking of calculators, I found this one and it is awesome and by far the best that I've seen:

https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/satisfactory-calculator/calc.html

Shows everything in a very visible flow graph and lets you put in any alternate recipes really simply. Shows the number of assemblers etc every step will need, even how many conveyor belts of your selected tier will be needed at every step. Also includes overclocks and power usage.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Even unfinished that is incredible. And I agree, if you have to wall everything off for performance it kills a lot of the coolness. I'm anticipating the game will run big factories a lot better on release.

I also build an identical pantry to yours in all of my bases.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I had an issue earlier in my starting base with a miner, for some reason it stopped working. Like it had power and everything, but it wouldn't mine i
ore until moved it to the mining spot next to the one it was already on. :shrug:
I would really love a robot shrubmower that autocollected biomass, that poo poo gets old pretty fast.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Protip for biomass: use your mouse software to macro "repeatedly press 'e' every .025s" to a side button. Helps a lot. Especially if your mouse software supports game profiles so it only activates when you're playing Satisfactory. You need to set the executable to "FactoryGame-Win64-Shipping.exe".

I know this only works for bushes, and doesn't apply for the chainsaw. Fortunately, if you rush coal power, you should only have to worry about biomass for a couple hours at most. Only automating what you need to also helps to minimize the tree cutting grind.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ambaire posted:

Protip for biomass: use your mouse software to macro "repeatedly press 'e' every .025s" to a side button. Helps a lot. Especially if your mouse software supports game profiles so it only activates when you're playing Satisfactory. You need to set the executable to "FactoryGame-Win64-Shipping.exe".

I know this only works for bushes, and doesn't apply for the chainsaw. Fortunately, if you rush coal power, you should only have to worry about biomass for a couple hours at most. Only automating what you need to also helps to minimize the tree cutting grind.

I just use a toggling AHK script, which can swap between clicking if you're building a long platform, or smashing e to pick things up.

code:
`::
Period := Period = 1 ? "OFF" : 1
SetTimer Click, %Period%
Return

Click:
;sendinput e
click
sleep 20
Return
Toggles with `

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Y'all know the chainsaw has an area of effect to it right? I never ran out of biofuel or had to go to much effort to get it in my desert game but just like, cutting down a couple trees and the surrounding foliage in the same action.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Taffer posted:

Speaking of calculators, I found this one and it is awesome and by far the best that I've seen:

https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/satisfactory-calculator/calc.html

Shows everything in a very visible flow graph and lets you put in any alternate recipes really simply. Shows the number of assemblers etc every step will need, even how many conveyor belts of your selected tier will be needed at every step. Also includes overclocks and power usage.

I was hoping he'd modify his factorio calculator for this. Glad he did! The green.dev one has gotten better but I'm not a huge fan of the UX on it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Glagha posted:

Y'all know the chainsaw has an area of effect to it right? I never ran out of biofuel or had to go to much effort to get it in my desert game but just like, cutting down a couple trees and the surrounding foliage in the same action.

Not only that, it can remove rocks and boulders in that area effect, and can 'target' small plants (to help catch the rocks)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Evilreaver posted:

Not only that, it can remove rocks and boulders in that area effect, and can 'target' small plants (to help catch the rocks)

Is that how I get rid of boluders? I've been waiting to get dynamite or something to use this coal node I found with a giant rock on top.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is that how I get rid of boluders? I've been waiting to get dynamite or something to use this coal node I found with a giant rock on top.

It's almost certainly not an intentional gameplay mechanic but it works sometimes; not every rock can be removed like that but it's nice when it works

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

You're SOL on that for now. Crystal Ball says that gunpowder will come in a future update, and that will let you blow those resource-blocking boulders away. But right now the chainsaw won't actually clear them off.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

I didn't watch the whole thing but whoever it is says that biomass is tedious especially being "that far in the game" and I wonder how bad they are that they still haven't gotten coal if it's really been that long.

I dig giantbomb in general, but every video is them just being plain BAD at games. I don't get how the staff can do this poo poo full time and be so terrible at everything they play.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tbh I do think that the biomass phase lasts way longer than it should

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think I had to refill my hub biomass burners exactly tree times, and my one extra one once.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did you avoid automating anything beyond the bare essentials, in this game about automation?

You can get to coal with little pain during the biomass phase, if you already know to avoid engaging with the building stuff part of the game for an hour or whatever. But if you don't do that, the game kinda punishes you for it, and that blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes I knew to beeline to coal and made like, one crafting machine for each basic thing while I went off searching for hard drives. Once I was back I crafted by hand what was necessary for the elevator and research and it was painless.