Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'd wager a large number of brits my age and younger don't even know the British empire was a thing let alone that it was bad

We didn't mention it in school at all as far as I recall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

what is the latest day parliament can agree to a deal?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I'd wager a large number of brits my age and younger don't even know the British empire was a thing let alone that it was bad

remember when gove was education sec and wanted to make schools stop teaching that ww1 was a stupid pointless waste of life, lmao

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hentai Jihadist posted:

You aren't the ones who voted for Brexit.

It's Darren the drunk firefighter from York who threatened to beat me up because I wasn't English at a World Cup Qualifier 10 years ago. He even did the "I'm not racist, but I don't like London, too many black immigrants."

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

jesus WEP posted:

remember when gove was education sec and wanted to make schools stop teaching that ww1 was a stupid pointless waste of life, lmao

He didn’t say that, he said we should teach it as the most noble thing we have ever done in Britain. Me and my mates immediately vomited in our mouths.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lol remember this ancient artifact from three days ago

let's see where we are...hmm...ah yes, "No Consensus Emerges", given only a 10% chance of happening

oh sweet summer child

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

either 11:59 pm on the 11th or at some point during the 12th if tusk is feeling particularly generous

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Empire fetishism is widespread

The Independent posted:

David Cameron has previously said the Empire should be “celebrated”.

YouGov found 44 per cent were proud of Britain’s history of colonialism while only 21 per cent regretted that it happened. 23 per cent held neither view.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

March 29th

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

There is no firm deadline but whatever they would agree to would have to also be approved by the EU, which would likely take a day or two, and it would have to take effect on the 13th. So theoretically they still have another week or so to figure something out

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1112823498228023298?s=19

Second referendum got the most yay votes so that means it wins

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

either 11:59 pm on the 11th or at some point during the 12th if tusk is feeling particularly generous

if they still have 10 days and votes are getting this close, tbh i think there will be some sort of deal

twoday
May 4, 2005

Reality Winter posted:

Customs union lost by the least so that means it wins

twoday
May 4, 2005

From what the MPs were saying after the results were announced, it sounded like their next plan was to mash the various failed plans together and vote for all the mash-up combinations, hoping that one would get a majority

A permutation of brexit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I haven't watched the news since January are they still pretending were a functioning country or have even they given up?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if they still have 10 days and votes are getting this close, tbh i think there will be some sort of deal

It will still be a garbage deal

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is not quite understanding how lovely Germany has treated other members of the EU your thing?

You ground Greece into dust just to show everyone else what happens. You're not the good guys. You're Germans.

The UK isn't Greece. The UK isn't a victim of Germany. There is no Troika set up that rules y'all with technocratic sociopathy.

The fact that your country is crumbling, that y'all gently caress over the poors and that y'all want to leave the EU because y'all are deadly afraid of plumbers and nurses with Polish accents are on Germany either.

The only one to blame for the problems of the UK is the UK itself, because y'all started believing your own propaganda on why y'all the pinnacle of mankind and natural leaders of the world.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I haven't watched the news since January are they still pretending were a functioning country or have even they given up?

Yes and it will continue till the morning of the 13th when it will dawn on them how much of a gently caress up they've been and blame the EU for it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Randler posted:

The UK isn't Greece. The UK isn't a victim of Germany. There is no Troika set up that rules y'all with technocratic sociopathy.

The fact that your country is crumbling, that y'all gently caress over the poors and that y'all want to leave the EU because y'all are deadly afraid of plumbers and nurses with Polish accents are on Germany either.

The only one to blame for the problems of the UK is the UK itself, because y'all started believing your own propaganda on why y'all the pinnacle of mankind and natural leaders of the world.

Yup, brexit is entirely self-inflicted which like all good slapstick is hilarious

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Reality Winter posted:

A legislative body that is the moral equivalent to a toddler that just learned the word 'no'

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Family Values posted:

A legislative body that is the moral equivalent to a toddler that just learned the word 'no'

The customs union is a toddler thinking real hard about what they want and figuring they probably do want it, but then look at you smiling just to say "no" anyway.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The customs union is jeremy's plan right? Surprising that it had the tightest margin

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

all of this is brexit????

but......what does it mean?????

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It still boggles my mind that they could overwhelmingly vote against hard brexit and then overwhelmingly vote against the final tool they have to stop brexit by revoking article 50. Im sorry brit goons, but your government is irreparably damaged and you must purge the people in leadership and the citizens that vote to continue to cycle

twoday
May 4, 2005

Look out, my son, and behold, for all that you can see from here that is touched by the sun's rays is Brexit... Except for that dark part, which is the hard border in Ireland. You must never go there.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The movie of this book taught me everything I know about UK homelessness. Bob plays himself in the movie!!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1112848581189263360

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Squizzle posted:

on a warm night with a full moon, take yourself out to the banks of a humble brook. reach down and feel the cool earth under the tips of your fingers. that is brexit. now raise your self and bask in the reflected light of the sun, that too is brexit. run naked thru the woods and sing her name: brexit

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Al! posted:

on a warm night with a full moon, take yourself out to the banks of a humble brook. reach down and feel the cool earth under the tips of your fingers. that is brexit. now raise your self and bask in the reflected light of the sun, that too is brexit. run naked thru the woods and sing her name: brexit

can i keep my jeans on

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Squizzle posted:

It means to go "number two" in a urinal

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Really bummed that Britain shall be cut off from the world, like Phaeacia, for angering the gods, you guys had a good run.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The customs union is a toddler thinking real hard about what they want and figuring they probably do want it, but then look at you smiling just to say "no" anyway.

Or screaming at you because you gave them exactly what they asked for.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It still boggles my mind that they could overwhelmingly vote against hard brexit and then overwhelmingly vote against the final tool they have to stop brexit by revoking article 50. Im sorry brit goons, but your government is irreparably damaged and you must purge the people in leadership and the citizens that vote to continue to cycle

if parliament just voted to revoke it would set the country on fire, and for good reason

just outright ignoring the result of a referendum you accepted as binding during the campaign is intensely undemocratic

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

V. Illych L. posted:

if parliament just voted to revoke it would set the country on fire, and for good reason

just outright ignoring the result of a referendum you accepted as binding during the campaign is intensely undemocratic

there is literally no way to avoid doom and I’m lollin

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The people voted for pain.

IamFuckMan
Mar 26, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
"im not owned, im not owned" I yell as I slowly turn into an insignificant rainy island

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

my parents genuinely think that britain stopped being great after ww2 because of joining europe and not because they ran out of people to steal from

in reality it was because they couldn’t understand the US winking and gesturing during the suez crisis

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

IamFuckMan posted:

"im not owned, im not owned" I yell as I slowly turn into an insignificant rainy island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xc5LwYKdq0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Judakel posted:

The people voted for pain.

:cenobite: