Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I have eaten the impossible burger and it was p good.

I let others try it and they liked it as well. It proposed an interesting conundrum for those that were vegetarian for religious reasons and rightfully distrustful that no meat was part of the veggie burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

BMan posted:

Alternatively there's the guys trying to grow meat in axolotl tanks, I wish them the best of luck

the "tanks" were just Bene Tleilax women weren't they? so erm, no thanks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

Please read the r/relationships thread

do not suggest self-harm

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

fishmech posted:

It's called impossible because their primary goal was to replicate blood taste which many people had said would be "impossible" to get right, hth
i know what their intent was.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jonny 290 posted:

i went to subway last week because i wanted a garbage trashsandwich, and there was a person behind me shouting over the din I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU HAVE IN THE WAY OF KETO OPTIONS

"PITA? NO WE DONT HAVE PITA BREAD"
"NO, KETO"
"YEAH NO WE DONT HAVE THAT, YOU CAN GET ANY SANDWICH AS A SALAD"
"god this place is such a loving dump"

lady nobody held a gun to your head and made you go to subway

lmao we're developing a societal level eating disorder

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

eggs and gluten have no replacement in anything that calls for them.

good luck making a vegan soufflé or a crusty gluten free sourdough.

there are workable egg replacements for some things -- like you can make meringue and related meringue-like things with garbanzo/chickpea bean soakings, but if you were trying to make something else that needed an egg replacement for a different behavior, you'd have to go find something different

so you end up with like 3+ veg egg replacements all depending on context

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lmao we're developing a societal level eating disorder

really we're just expanding the eating disorder market

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kateconger/status/1112846893573300224

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

lancemantis posted:

there are workable egg replacements for some things -- like you can make meringue and related meringue-like things with garbanzo/chickpea bean soakings, but if you were trying to make something else that needed an egg replacement for a different behavior, you'd have to go find something different

to me at least, even if i were otherwise completely vegetarian, i'd have no issue eating certified humane eggs. i don't see the chickens as being harmed. unless it's like a real big egg i guess

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

impossible burger is soy now instead of wheat based... :manning: :eng99:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

to me at least, even if i were otherwise completely vegetarian, i'd have no issue eating certified humane eggs. i don't see the chickens as being harmed. unless it's like a real big egg i guess

this is how i look at it too but i also love eggs so im biased

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah you could legit trick people with a well made impossible burger

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

my bitter bi rival posted:

this is how i look at it too but i also love eggs so im biased

same. a proper over medium egg and toast with a bit of burre is delicious. i wouldn't give up good cheese either

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my bitter bi rival posted:

impossible burger is soy now instead of wheat based... :manning: :eng99:

that explains why the one i had in boston was almost indistinguishable from a real burger while the one i had yesterday felt like a high-class morning star. good to know it’s not just me at least

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dragon enthusiast posted:

have you ever eaten a Morningstar veggie burger

i like them because they're named after the devil

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
eggs are fine for vegetarians, you might be thinking of vegans

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

loving smooth

https://twitter.com/forbes/status/1112806844148453376?s=21

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

i use a tapioca-based egg replacement for my babby due to a severe egg allergy, and it works ok for stuff like waffles and cookies

but hoooooooly poo poo is egg in everything, even the bbq place nearby had to tell us that they rub mayo on all of their meat before it goes in

at least it's p healthy not having egg-foods in the house

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i thought there were vegetarians that weren't okay with eggs and/or milk but also weren't quite vegans, but i checked ol' wik-e-pedia and looks like that's the main tipping point. huh.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
in the past few years a lot more stuff is marked as gelatin-free, nice to see it identified and called out like that

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

it's true to some extent, but you have to do something to the male chickens, and the old chickens too. the killing:product ratio is way lower for eggs in any event though. i think there was some push within the past decade to develop in-egg chicken sexing machines so you don't have the problem of male chicks but i don't know if that's been deployed yet.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah i can see myself going vegetarian in the near future but no way will i ever go full vegan. honey, eggs, cheese. all too wonderful

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

best buy sent my spamcatcher a birthday email. 10% off one item, okay cool, subject to exclusions wait what:

like 90% of the store is excluded posted:

Excludes Apple® products; Magnolia Design Center products; Amazon voice assistant and streaming players; Google voice assistant, Chromecast and Chromecast Audio; Bose® audio products; SONOS; Polk Audio; Denon; select Samsung home audio, TVs, Blu-ray and DVD players; Sony home audio, TVs and 3D glasses, Blu-ray players, DVD players and set top boxes; select LG TVs and Blu-ray players, select Sharp TVs; all gaming consoles; Leap Motion Controller; Wacom stylus; subscription software services; kate spade new york tech accessories, headphones and portable speakers; POSA cards; Sony camcorders, digital cameras, Alpha cameras, NEX cameras; Canon DSLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, XA and XF series camcorders, lenses and flashes, G1X, G1X MARK II, G7X, N2, N100, S120, SX50, SX60 and G16; Nikon DSLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, lenses and flashes, Coolpix A, P340, P530, P600, P610 and S810c; GoPro cameras and accessories; Olympus point and shoot cameras, interchangeable-lens cameras, lenses; Drones $499 and up; unlocked phones; contract mobile phones; mobile broadband devices; digital music services and download cards; Electrolux major appliances; air conditioners, fans and dehumidifiers; Dyson; Pacific Sales products; Vitamix, Breville, Capital Brands, Nespresso; Magnolia products: Samsung TVs, sound bars and Blu-ray players, Sony TVs, Blu-ray players and projectors, Sharp TVs, LG TVs, Sunbrite TVs; Epson projectors, JVC projectors; iRobot; Sennheiser, Bowers & Wilkins, Rotel, MartinLogan, McIntosh, Universal Remote Control, Arcam, Peachtree, Savant, Sonus faber, Oppo and special order merchandise; special order, clearance, refurbished, pre-owned and open-box items; gift cards; taxes.

so i think i can get a couple of bucks off a dvd or a video game maybe.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i thought there were vegetarians that weren't okay with eggs and/or milk but also weren't quite vegans, but i checked ol' wik-e-pedia and looks like that's the main tipping point. huh.

there is ovo vegetarianism and lacto vegetarianism which are ok with one but not the other

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

in theory it's an easy distinction: if you had to kill an animal to get it, a vegetarian won't eat it, and if an animal was involved in producing it, a vegan won't eat it.

dairy and eggs are the most obvious sticking point but many vegans also don't eat honey or gelatin. the really hardcore ones won't eat white sugar (often processed with carbon derived from bone char) or beer (yeast is alive). on the other end of the spectrum, i've had people tell me they're vegetarian because they don't eat beef, only pork and poultry and any kind of seafood.

don't tell either group how many bunnies get run over by combine harvesters every year

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
all that being said, most vegetarians I know are fine with cheese, and they don't actually ask where the rennet came from.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

in theory it's an easy distinction: if you had to kill an animal to get it, a vegetarian won't eat it, and if an animal was involved in producing it, a vegan won't eat it.

dairy and eggs are the most obvious sticking point but many vegans also don't eat honey or gelatin. the really hardcore ones won't eat white sugar (often processed with carbon derived from bone char) or beer (yeast is alive). on the other end of the spectrum, i've had people tell me they're vegetarian because they don't eat beef, only pork and poultry and any kind of seafood.

don't tell either group how many bunnies get run over by combine harvesters every year

or the mass amounts of pesticides that have to be used to keep crops healthy.

or the acres upon acres of natural habitat destroyed to grow nutritionally sparse food (not that this doesn't apply to the inputs for a lot of the meat industry as well, but some animals can be raised on land that would never otherwise support humans).

Jabor posted:

all that being said, most vegetarians I know are fine with cheese, and they don't actually ask where the rennet came from.

i think non-animal sources of rennin or alternatives are actually pretty common these days.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

a beef-bearing burger that's "special cause there's tons of weird poo poo in it"

The Hamburgers of Kazuhira 290

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

im p sure the beer thing is about using fish air bladders to help clarify the beer, not about yeast being alive??? that’s why they have “vegan beers”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

in fact, “nutritional yeast” is a common flavoring vegans add to stuff

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

im pretty sure most vegetarians care about just doing the best they can considering the circumstances, so yeah there's a lot of abuse of nature and animals and people in industries outside of meat but like, you cant do anything in this capitalist hellworld without loving someone else over, we just do what we can to feel like we're not contributing to the problem

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

or beer (yeast is alive)

plants are also alive

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Suspicious Dish posted:

plants are also alive

that’s what they want you to think

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

im p sure the beer thing is about using fish air bladders to help clarify the beer, not about yeast being alive??? that’s why they have “vegan beers”

i dunno, maybe. might be mistaken about yeast. again there's a huge spectrum

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

i dunno, maybe. might be mistaken about yeast. again there's a huge spectrum

you’re on the huge spectrum

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

i've had people tell me they're vegetarian because they don't eat beef, only pork and poultry and any kind of seafood.
okay that part about eating pork/chicken is weird because poo poo is even worse than beef industry, but pescatarian is pretty common. my gf and a lot of her friends are that and just say they're vegetarian instead of explaining what pescatarian is.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

aardvaard posted:

im pretty sure most vegetarians care about just doing the best they can considering the circumstances, so yeah there's a lot of abuse of nature and animals and people in industries outside of meat but like, you cant do anything in this capitalist hellworld without loving someone else over, we just do what we can to feel like we're not contributing to the problem
yeah it's this. trying to poke holes in BUT WHAT ABOUT X. OWNED LIBS is just kinda dumb posturing bullshit, considering thats not the point to many.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

can you be a vegetarian if you don’t eat beef, only pork, chicken, seafood, duck, rabbit, snake, insects, turtles, etc?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Midjack posted:

best buy sent my spamcatcher a birthday email. 10% off one item, okay cool, subject to exclusions wait what:

so i think i can get a couple of bucks off a dvd or a video game maybe.

they sell some computer accessories I don't think I saw covered - like maybe extra money off one of those WD easy stores people like to pull the drives out of because they sell them at a loss as externals for some reason?

Sagebrush posted:

or beer (yeast is alive)

the one I know won't drink Guinness because they settle the foam (or something) with oxblood but that's the only restriction I'm aware of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Guinness is vegan I think. They used to use the fish bladder to clarify beer