Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Anyone got a link to the dude that was digging a rando tunnel under his building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

God, I hate when my excavator gets worms.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Icon Of Sin posted:

Torpedos, I’ve heard. Displace all the water under the center of the ship, and let gravity be the harsh mistress she enjoys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vaImLvZbPw

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wasabi the J posted:

Isn't having a large ship fall onto it's keel how sea mines work?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Torpedos, I’ve heard. Displace all the water under the center of the ship, and let gravity be the harsh mistress she enjoys.

Yeah they can either be direct impact explosives, or detonate next to the ship to use the shock wave to literally shake the ship apart, or lift the ship up and then drop it into the cavity of water created by the explosion. Ship hulls are designed to deal with downward pressure, not upward, so that can literally break their back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oh poo poo, they got me. I thought they were filming a real battle. Looks like I'm the fool who got April'd.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Memento posted:

Yeah they can either be direct impact explosives, or detonate next to the ship to use the shock wave to literally shake the ship apart, or lift the ship up and then drop it into the cavity of water created by the explosion. Ship hulls are designed to deal with downward pressure, not upward, so that can literally break their back.

IIRC there's also the fact that the torpedo explosion creates a big gas bubble, which collapses and creates a jet of water that can cut a ship in half. See around 0:28 in that video; there's an explosion, the ship settles and cracks, and then there's another big spray of water that punches through the bridge.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Memento posted:

Modern anti-ship torpedoes are designed to break something the size of a frigate or destroyer in half.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh poo poo, is the boat gonna be okay? :ohdear:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's just resting. Had a bad breakup.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It doesn't seem to have any shoes, so the outlook isn't great.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

FuturePastNow posted:

Modern anti-ship torpedoes are designed to break something the size of a frigate or destroyer in half.

This might not be something that can be precisely measured, but outside of long-range missile bombardment or nuclear strike, what's the most expensive kind of warfare to field?
Like, one torpedo takes out a destroyer, the right amount of loose wire takes out a helicopter, everything about the F-35, just the sheer amount of money poured into Coalition forces versus largely destitute terrorist organizations in Bush's illegal war, it kinda seems like everything the military produces can be rendered inoperable with surprisingly cheap tools.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would think most torpedoes are anti-ship torpedoes. I can't imagine there is much demand for a pro-ship torpedo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This might not be something that can be precisely measured, but outside of long-range missile bombardment or nuclear strike, what's the most expensive kind of warfare to field?
Like, one torpedo takes out a destroyer, the right amount of loose wire takes out a helicopter, everything about the F-35, just the sheer amount of money poured into Coalition forces versus largely destitute terrorist organizations in Bush's illegal war, it kinda seems like everything the military produces can be rendered inoperable with surprisingly cheap tools.

A human being can be rendered inoperable with a few cents of lead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Powershift posted:

I would think most torpedoes are anti-ship torpedoes. I can't imagine there is much demand for a pro-ship torpedo.

It sprays a fresh coat of paint all over the ship just before the Admiral shows up.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Platystemon posted:

A human being can be rendered inoperable with a few cents of lead.

But how much do the machines cost.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

But how much do the machines cost.

The thing is, you can lose an unlimited number of drones. You can lose as many as you can build.

You can only lose as many planes as you have pilots, you can only lose as many boats as you have seamen. So with no cost concerns, drone warfare would be the most expensive.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Defense is always playing catch up to attack. Weapons get better. Countermeasures against them improve. Warships have sonar to try to detect submarines, and carry helicopters to extend the range of that defense, and submarines have stealth. Submarines have really good stealth. But we haven't fought an enemy since WWII that posed a serious threat to ships and the weapons (and defenses) have changed a lot since then, so while the military no doubt practices and wargames constantly, no one can know what would really happen if, say, China decided to try to evict the US Navy from the Pacific.

Photo credit: Soviet Navy

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I lust for cruise ship death

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Good news, it seems you have a powerful ally in "cranes"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Powershift posted:

Good news, it seems you have a powerful ally in "cranes"

Is cranes vs cruise ships the new zombies vs pirates?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Is cranes vs cruise ships the new zombies vs pirates?

I guess.

https://i.imgur.com/tvihjR4.mp4

I'm just glad the cranes are finally fighting back.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

McSpanky posted:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Powershift posted:

You should make like a U-boat and 360 yourself away from these jokes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Beccara posted:

Anyone got a link to the dude that was digging a rando tunnel under his building?

I went looking for it a few months back and he deleted his youtube account :(

edit: I was wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ner-AnCDuAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLxNoh4zmrc

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 2, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Powershift posted:

I'm just glad the cranes are finally fighting back.

Fighting back against EXCELLENT.

That ship name is still the delightful cherry on top of a schaden-OSHA sundae. :allears:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You should make like a U-boat and 360 yourself away from these jokes.

Crazy Ivan

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FCKGW posted:

I went looking for it a few months back and he deleted his youtube account :(

edit: I was wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ner-AnCDuAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLxNoh4zmrc

loving hell are his buttresses aluminum?

Like I don't know why that upsets me more than the existence of this project to begin with or his refusal to wear shoes, but here I am.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Powershift posted:

The thing is, you can lose an unlimited number of drones. You can lose as many as you can build.

You can only lose as many planes as you have pilots, you can only lose as many boats as you have seamen. So with no cost concerns, drone warfare would be the most expensive.

FuturePastNow posted:

Defense is always playing catch up to attack. Weapons get better. Countermeasures against them improve. Warships have sonar to try to detect submarines, and carry helicopters to extend the range of that defense, and submarines have stealth. Submarines have really good stealth. But we haven't fought an enemy since WWII that posed a serious threat to ships and the weapons (and defenses) have changed a lot since then, so while the military no doubt practices and wargames constantly, no one can know what would really happen if, say, China decided to try to evict the US Navy from the Pacific.

Photo credit: Soviet Navy

:thunk: Good points all, I appreciate the insight. I was trying to think of a way to retool the question to ask more about what might have the biggest ratio between cost of attack and inflicted losses but I just kept imagining geese getting sucked into turbine engines and I think I need therapy now? If someone wanted to shut down an enemy airstrip should I parachute behind enemy lines with just like, a fuckton of stale bread? In theory?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The dudes that blew up the USS Cole probably spent about seventeen dollars on explosives and already owned the boat :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

:thunk: Good points all, I appreciate the insight. I was trying to think of a way to retool the question to ask more about what might have the biggest ratio between cost of attack and inflicted losses but I just kept imagining geese getting sucked into turbine engines and I think I need therapy now? If someone wanted to shut down an enemy airstrip should I parachute behind enemy lines with just like, a fuckton of stale bread? In theory?

Well, in that case, The Russian's Asymmetric warfare used a room full of Russian college students to troll on Facebook and get a moron elected who has done trillions of dollars worth of damage to the economy, and could kill thousands of Americans through the loss of healthcare in the coming years.

On the flip side, the US drops million dollar bombs on goats in the middle east like, every day.

Also, Everybody talks about how cool the A-10 Warthog is, capable of firing 3,900 rounds per minute, but each of those rounds reportedly costs $136.70 each, sooooooo, that's gotta cost some money.

Also, if you've ever wondered how many planes and helicopters the Army has(just the army, not even the airforce)

https://i.imgur.com/3Hs2BLC.jpg

This isn't really OSHA though, just depressing, maybe do get some therapy.

Anywa, here's some truck fuckling

Also, here's a reminder that trucks want you dead, stay away from them, if you see a truck., run away.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hey buddy, retreads are totally safe.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Are you asking what the most expensive kind of weaponry to field is or the cheapest way to counter it / attack an opposing force? I'm terms of cost:damage you can't really beat something like 9/11. Asymetric warfare is a nightmare to counter.

In terms of cost, firing a CWIZ probably costs somewhere around $45,000/second.

A ground invasion, especially to hold territory, is always going to cost more than dropping a few thousand mark 83 bombs on someone.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 2, 2019

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Love to watch our military fire missiles worth $200k at Toyota pickups

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Well, to stick with the torpedos examples, there is that story about dinky 100 mil subs taking out 7 billion dollar aircraft carriers.

Efficacy doesn't really play a role in the modern U.S. defense industry. They have so much money and so little actual use for it that you end up throwing good money after bad because sensible development, procurement, and deployment would cost a lot less and that's the last thing anyone involved in sustaining the industry wants.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 2, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep, a sub can be pretty hard to detect even when you know its out there.

https://youtu.be/d8Kv4rqR6RQ

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Keep in mind also that during exercises people are more likely to do things that would risk them getting killed in an actual war. Going for the carrier is a lot easier when the worst consequence is a "You Got Me!"

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Taerkar posted:

Keep in mind also that during exercises people are more likely to do things that would risk them getting killed in an actual war. Going for the carrier is a lot easier when the worst consequence is a "You Got Me!"

Can you support this claim?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

El_Elegante posted:

Can you support this claim?

A lot of people don't have a death wish, even on a submarine. Hard to believe, but true!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Let me clarify. What maneuver or technique is so dangerous that:
-it can bring down a carrier in a war game
-not be detected by the opposing force
-be acceptable for a sub to do in a war game but not in combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

El_Elegante posted:

Let me clarify. What maneuver or technique is so dangerous that:
-it can bring down a carrier in a war game
-not be detected by the opposing force
-be acceptable for a sub to do in a war game but not in combat

Probably getting right up on a a carriers rear end and then launching all your torpedos in the middle of a pack of sub hunters.