Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My favorite window into people's opinions of nukes in the past is the playlist for the CONELRAD Civil Defense Radio mod for Fallout. Just a bunch of period songs that run the gamut from fear of the bomb to cold war stuff (both pro- and anti-war) to a song fantasizing about all other men on earth being dead to people singing about mining uranium. It's neat stuff.

bewbies posted:

I don't know anything about the science but I read the Radium Girls and that poo poo was hosed up.

What's really hosed up is that the makers of the radium paint the girls used had proper protection, so the company should've known better, but it didn't bother.

Later, one of the clocks would accidentally have a whole thing of paint left inside it, helping a boy scout build his own little nuclear reactor to irradiate his entire neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

The mid-50s.

The first two "after the bomb/nuclear war" novels I can think of are Nevil Shute's "On the Beach " (1957), and Pat Frank's "Alas Babylon " (1959).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boy Scouts end up making a lot more nuclear reactors than you'd think.

One thing that shocked me the most in reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb was Chicago Pile 1. These days we have an image of a nuclear reactor as a tightly controlled, highly complex, technically sophisticated and potentially catastrophic operation as opposed to blocks of graphite stacked up by hand under the bleachers at the U of Chicago football stadium.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cessna posted:

He made a youtube video - sadly no longer there - of the final siege of Rome, where the city gates break open and the city's army is drowned in a sea of dogs/pigs/elephants with Yakkity Sax playing. It was glorious.

Truly this is the darkest of all timelines.

:smith:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

zoux posted:

Boy Scouts end up making a lot more nuclear reactors than you'd think.

One thing that shocked me the most in reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb was Chicago Pile 1. These days we have an image of a nuclear reactor as a tightly controlled, highly complex, technically sophisticated and potentially catastrophic operation as opposed to blocks of graphite stacked up by hand under the bleachers at the U of Chicago football stadium.

I've had 'squash courts' stuck in my head as the location under which the first controlled nuclear reaction was managed, but I've seen inconsistent stuff on it

my favorite belief I thought I'd read years ago but ultimately decided I must have made up was my belief that Tycho Brahe was a holding-your-piss enthusiast who died from going a bridge too far, if you will, at a dinner with some VIP, then he got piss in his abdomen and died rip

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i thought that was rousseau

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

as they said to my green party Russia post, porque no los dos

but maybe I got Brahe confused with a real person, I'll look into Rousseau's pissing habits thx

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

I've had 'squash courts' stuck in my head as the location under which the first controlled nuclear reaction was managed, but I've seen inconsistent stuff on it

my favorite belief I thought I'd read years ago but ultimately decided I must have made up was my belief that Tycho Brahe was a holding-your-piss enthusiast who died from going a bridge too far, if you will, at a dinner with some VIP, then he got piss in his abdomen and died rip

Could be real

quote:

Tycho suddenly contracted a bladder or kidney ailment after attending a banquet in Prague, and died eleven days later, on 24 October 1601, at the age of 54. According to Kepler's first-hand account, Tycho had refused to leave the banquet to relieve himself because it would have been a breach of etiquette.[53][54] After he returned home, he was no longer able to urinate, except eventually in very small quantities and with excruciating pain. The night before he died, he suffered from a delirium during which he was frequently heard to exclaim that he hoped he would not seem to have lived in vain.[55] Before dying, he urged Kepler to finish the Rudolphine Tables and expressed the hope that he would do so by adopting Tycho's own planetary system, rather than that of Copernicus. It was reported that Brahe had written his own epitaph, "He lived like a sage and died like a fool."[56] A contemporary physician attributed his death to a kidney stone, but no kidney stones were found during an autopsy performed after his body was exhumed in 1901, and the 20th-century medical assessment is that his death is more likely to have resulted from uremia.[57]

I believe that's called a "gleet"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
history rules

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Today's entry is about the various SB bombs available to the Germans, such as the 1000kg parachute bomb or the water-bounding anti-ship Kugel K bomb (Sometimes called KURT). Which bomb is very similar to the Max bomb seen previously, and what differs the two? What colour parachutes have been found to have been used with the 1000kg parachute bomb? Which bomb is noted for being sensitive to small arms fire, and why?

All that and more at the blog!

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

It was a rackets court (similar to squash) underneath the stands at a football field. So both 'under the bleachers' and 'squash court' are basically right.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It was squash courts under the old football stadium. I used to work around there.

There's also a little plaque on the street on top of where CP1 was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Epicurius posted:

The first two "after the bomb/nuclear war" novels I can think of are Nevil Shute's "On the Beach " (1957), and Pat Frank's "Alas Babylon " (1959).

Kinda forgetting 1984 (1949), aren't we? And there were radio dramas fretting about the bomb aired in 1945/46. Philip Wylie's unjustly forgotten "Blunder: A Story of the End of the World" was printed in 1946 and turned into one of the first television sci-fi stories in 1951.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0BOSZyMm0Y

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 2, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Kinda forgetting 1984 (1949), aren't we? And there were radio dramas fretting about the bomb aired in 1945/46. Philip Wylie's unjustly forgotten "Blunder: A Story of the End of the World" was printed in 1946 and turned into one of the first television sci-fi stories in 1951.

1984 is a during the nuclear war book. :smug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How close to blowing up Chicago did any of the experiments come to?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fishmech posted:

1984 is a during the nuclear war book. :smug:

No it isn't. The atomic bombing of Colchester happens in Winston Smith's distant flashback. There's no evidence for nuclear exchanges during the main story, just V2-like missiles armed with conventional explosive warheads.

EDIT: I found the early atomic fear fiction I was thinking of that even predates "Blunder". It's Arch Oboler's "Rocket from Manhattan", an episode of the radio thriller series "Lights Out" aired in September 1945 which depicts an elderly Manhattan Project scientist aboard a returning lunar orbiter witnessing the world go up in a nuclear armageddon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvbjPFwmKm0

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 2, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

No it isn't. The atomic bombing of Colchester happens in Winston Smith's distant flashback. There's no evidence for nuclear exchanges during the main story, just V2-like missiles armed with conventional explosive warheads.

Winston isn't even sure if it was Colchester that was bombed, or another place. Goldstein's book says the three major superstates pinky-swore not to nuke each other anymore after too much was bombed directly, but we know they feel free to do whatever war they want in the designated disputed zones. And besides, we're also pretty sure much of what's in the book is intentional misinformation.

They also never stopped being at war as near as can be known within the narrative, so the most we can say is they intentionally chose to direct nukes away from each superstate's undisputed territories, just as they only make token raids in each other's undisputed areas to make sure there's plenty of excuses to keep fighting available.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I refuse to have this argument with you, fishmech. IMO Orwell left the atomic war subplot vague enough to be open-ended in interpretation because it wasn't germain to the point he was trying to make.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah you refuse to have the argument, because you forgot the atomic war never ended in 1984.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nowhere close. It wasn't enriched enough, and generated only 0.5 watts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

Nowhere close. It wasn't enriched enough, and generated only 0.5 watts.

Hey they got up to 200 watts one time. Of course when your scram protocol is a dude with an axe, there exist some reasonable safety concerns.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Epicurius posted:

I really enjoyed "On the Beach," but I couldn't really say why.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrj1ymJzmo

C'mon people. 1954.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How long did it take for the US military to strategically think of nukes as more than just a really large bomb? Because that was how they treated it for at least a couple years. I’m sure everyone’s familiar with the plans to drop them all over Japan in Operation Downfall and have troops occupy the position like the next day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eh, Them! beat Big G to the big screen by a few months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4URRp39XOo

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My memory is fuzzy but wasn't the original Godzilla a result of some non nuclear runaway science experiment? The scientist spends the entire film talking about his duty to protect the secret to prevent catastrophic abuse of the knowledge was an obvious nod to the idea of scientific virtue being abused for horrible results aka Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Also the burning sets/scenes were almost certainly made by people who had witnessed the firestorms caused by allied bombing during the war which puts a rather grim twist on it when you realise they were trying to replicate what they saw.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've seen a lot of critics talk about how this or that aspect of modern Japanese culture is a response to the atomic bombings, but what was the immediate reaction of the citizenry in other cities and how fast did it spread? I don't know how restrictive the Japanese press was at the time so were they issuing newspapers with mushroom clouds on the front page?

For that matter, how did the government sell surrender to the Japanese populace, and how did they take it?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Epicurius posted:

I've read the first and somebody did a let's read of the second here at SA which I enjoyed. On the Beach is interesting as I think it was inspired from the literal fallout of the Castle Bravo tests, and Shute I think might've been the first author to look at nuclear Armageddon the Australian way: as something that happens to the rest of the world but still leaves Australia irredeemably hosed. Somebody with the book-learnin' could possibly comment coherently, I just know I've seen several Aus/NZ movies about the apocalypse

If we're talking cultural awareness, I think it's telling that the mid 1950s saw Strategic Air Command was very successful - but by 1960 you had Dr. Strangelove and Fail Safe. The nuclear accidents the US military had, most famously coming within 50 cents of electronics from setting off a megaton-range bomb in South Carolina, I think were also a factor. The fact that bombs went from tens of kilotons to by the mid 50s prototyping tens of megatons also probably didn't help.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't post this again

People were very quick to put together the peanut butter of nuclear bombs and the jam of ICBMs into the sandwich of instant annihilation

Tree Bucket posted:

I really enjoyed "On the Beach," but I couldn't really say why.

You enjoy the grim spectre of death and everybody dying

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Chicago pile could at its highest output manage managed a couple of hundred watts, but in any event a nuclear power plant can't explode like an atom bomb. The geometry is nowhere near right for that.

In an absolute worst-case scenario, like say you're operating a full-size graphite-moderated water-cooled power reactor in an unstable part of its power regime and you decide to both retract all the control rods from the core and also punch a hole in the reactor vessel to let all the coolant flash to steam, you'd get enough rapid nuclear yield to blow the core apart, which would terminate the nuclear reaction. This would be Chernobyl-levels of messy, but it's nowhere near an atom bomb. Building a nuclear bomb is about assembling enough nuclear material into the right geometry for enough fission to occur rapidly enough that you get significant yield before all that energy being released wrecks the geometry. You can't have that in a nuclear reactor, even one fueled by many critical masses of highly-enriched uranium like a nuclear submarine reactor.

Here's a test of SPERT, a small test reactor fueled with 93%-enriched uranium, they built to deliberately make explode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FIhafVX_6I

Pulled the control rods out, the reaction goes supercritical, all the water boiling generates a steam explosion that blows the reactor apart. There was also a comparatively trivial energy release from the reaction of aluminum in the fuel alloy with the water as the fuel rods disintegrated. Nuclear yield here was 31 megawatt-seconds, which is tiny.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Seriously, The Making of the Atomic Bomb is a really good book. The journey from "hrm, if it turns out that atoms work in a certain way, it might be possible to create a chain reaction" to working fission devices required breakthroughs in physics and the best engineering of the era. If it's not built to be a bomb, it's not going to detonate like a bomb. That doesn't mean it's going to be safe, mind you, just that it won't explode like a proper bomb.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Warday is another good post-apocalypse book, about a couple of people traveling across the country five years after the bombs fell.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I've seen a lot of critics talk about how this or that aspect of modern Japanese culture is a response to the atomic bombings, but what was the immediate reaction of the citizenry in other cities and how fast did it spread? I don't know how restrictive the Japanese press was at the time so were they issuing newspapers with mushroom clouds on the front page?

For that matter, how did the government sell surrender to the Japanese populace, and how did they take it?

For the latter, look up the Jewel Voice Broadcast, basically the Emperor came on the radio and said that Japan lost and the war was over. My great-aunt told me that she just felt numb after hearing it, but that also might have been because this was literally the first time she heard the emperor's voice and could barely understand the archaic Japanese he was using.

For the former, I can say that my great-aunt knew there was something different about Hiroshima. She had been drafted to work as a nurse earlier that year and IIRC she was on her way to work at Hiroshima when the bomb hit, and was about as close as you can be to a nuclear attack short of being nuked. She never really went into detail about what she saw then, but even when I was a kid I noticed there was something off about her and how she supressed all her emotions except for barely concealed annoyance. From what I understand, there was a sense of horror that one plane did that much damage, and basically everyone at the city knew it was one plane because the American low altitude bombings created a very distinct and terrifying rumble that went on for hours, while in this case many people didn't even notice the Enola Gay. I don't know how fast or how far the news spread, but I know my great-aunt knew about Nagasaki before the war ended despite still being in Hiroshima.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

I was forgetting 1984. If you say there had been a nuclear war in the book, i believe you, but I don't remember it. Colchester may have been nuked, but 1984 wasn't about Nuclear War the way that On the Beach or Alas Babylon were...they were both about the aftermath of World War III and how the survivors were affected. I'm just not familiar with Blunder.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cessna posted:

Many GREAT American soldiers...

Casualties were so GREAT...

It is my GREAT honor...

I'm guessing they transcribed noted historian Donald Trump's words verbatim.

My man, did you read the article? He pulls the "were you there" card. It's... something

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Carth Dookie posted:

My memory is fuzzy but wasn't the original Godzilla a result of some non nuclear runaway science experiment? The scientist spends the entire film talking about his duty to protect the secret to prevent catastrophic abuse of the knowledge was an obvious nod to the idea of scientific virtue being abused for horrible results aka Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Also the burning sets/scenes were almost certainly made by people who had witnessed the firestorms caused by allied bombing during the war which puts a rather grim twist on it when you realise they were trying to replicate what they saw.

you're thinking of the Oxygen Destroyer, which, rather than being what creates Godzilla, is what they use to finally kill him*. pretty much all the various Godzilla eras- with the exception of the recent Legendary Pictures version, and I think Shin Godzilla- have him as being a direct result of nuclear weapons testing in the Pacific.

*of course, they did later make a movie where there IS a kaiju created as a result of the OD's use, and it's arguably more nihilistic and pessimistic than you would think a premise like that would be at first glance

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Don Gato posted:

For the latter, look up the Jewel Voice Broadcast, basically the Emperor came on the radio and said that Japan lost and the war was over. My great-aunt told me that she just felt numb after hearing it, but that also might have been because this was literally the first time she heard the emperor's voice and could barely understand the archaic Japanese he was using.

For the former, I can say that my great-aunt knew there was something different about Hiroshima. She had been drafted to work as a nurse earlier that year and IIRC she was on her way to work at Hiroshima when the bomb hit, and was about as close as you can be to a nuclear attack short of being nuked. She never really went into detail about what she saw then, but even when I was a kid I noticed there was something off about her and how she supressed all her emotions except for barely concealed annoyance. From what I understand, there was a sense of horror that one plane did that much damage, and basically everyone at the city knew it was one plane because the American low altitude bombings created a very distinct and terrifying rumble that went on for hours, while in this case many people didn't even notice the Enola Gay. I don't know how fast or how far the news spread, but I know my great-aunt knew about Nagasaki before the war ended despite still being in Hiroshima.

Have you seen the film In this Corner of the World? It's the fictional story of a young woman living in Hiroshima during WWII, but its based on detailed historical research on the period and tries hard to accurately represent how normal people would have lived and experienced events.

I was sort of surprised at how the fictional protagonist of In this Corner of the World, and the semi-autobiographical protagonist of Grave of the Fireflies both reacted to the announcement of surrender with shock and anger, which I assume reflects popular memory of the event in Japan. It's especially surprising in In this Corner of the World as the like ~19 year old female protagonist never previously uttered a single word about politics before breaking down crying while shouting about how she was prepared to die fighting.

Also I can't find it anymore but there's an interview on youtube with an American WWII pilot who flew observation missions around Japan at the beginning of the occupation and delivered mail other things. In the interview he describes how he landed at one isolated airfield with pay for American soldiers stationed in a neighboring town, only to be surprised when he realized the Japanese guard the airfield were totally in the dark about the surrender and hadn't heard anything. Apparently their radio was broken and nobody had bothered to tell them. While he was still trying to negotiate his way back onto his plane so he could fly away and escape, an American jeep drove up completely oblivious to the armed Japanese soldiers, picked up their pay and mail and left without even noticing anything was amiss.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Squalid posted:

Also I can't find it anymore but there's an interview on youtube with an American WWII pilot who flew observation missions around Japan at the beginning of the occupation and delivered mail other things. In the interview he describes how he landed at one isolated airfield with pay for American soldiers stationed in a neighboring town, only to be surprised when he realized the Japanese guard the airfield were totally in the dark about the surrender and hadn't heard anything. Apparently their radio was broken and nobody had bothered to tell them. While he was still trying to negotiate his way back onto his plane so he could fly away and escape, an American jeep drove up completely oblivious to the armed Japanese soldiers, picked up their pay and mail and left without even noticing anything was amiss.

Hahaha that loving sucks. I'd be pissed as hell at the guys in the jeep

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Argus Zant posted:

you're thinking of the Oxygen Destroyer, which, rather than being what creates Godzilla, is what they use to finally kill him*. pretty much all the various Godzilla eras- with the exception of the recent Legendary Pictures version, and I think Shin Godzilla- have him as being a direct result of nuclear weapons testing in the Pacific.

*of course, they did later make a movie where there IS a kaiju created as a result of the OD's use, and it's arguably more nihilistic and pessimistic than you would think a premise like that would be at first glance

Than you that was it. I'd forgotten.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I saw this and I thought of y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That original Godzilla wasn't a sfx tour de force or anything (seriously, kong still looks better and it was decades earlier) but I'll be damned if it isn't a really good movie regardless.