Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

PT6A posted:

You can even see the difference in prices between pre-security and post-security, it's very clearly not a problem with employee wages.

It’s much more that they have a typically wealthy-enough-to-travel captive audience in a price-fixed arena with multiple entities that require a commission. It’s the same poo poo as at sports games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Brexit seriously broke British politics more than Trump broke ours.

So, is the EU basically locked in right now in kicking the British out? I figure a "we'll accept your delay but you have to hold a second referendum" would fix this poo poo.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

gently caress that ghoul Elizabeth warren. Go away old lady.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Stereotype posted:

I can't even begin to understand how you can think that the main reason an airport sandwich costs a lot is because the employees are paid too well.

This has been an argument for as long as I can remember that if you raise wages everything becomes more expensive because they have to keep their profits at same levels at a min or grow and American Capitalism is based on the notion that sacrificing all for the sake of an extra buck is morally/divine right. Because, you know, a company like Apple that hordes 18 billion dollars for nothing can't afford 50 million for raises or accommodate.

There's been too much acceptance for too long as that sort of stuff being okay and that you have to coddle big business. Too much authority/power given to them.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Biden being weird is just him setting up rakes for trump to step on when he calls him out in it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PT6A posted:

Beating the poo poo out of someone is horrible, but we can all agree it's not as bad as killing someone, so why can't we just accept that Biden's horrible behaviour is still less horrible than Trump's, despite it still being horrible?

While all true I think the thing to focus on here is there are numerous Democratic candidates who DON'T have this on their record and should be getting more air time as it were.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gatts posted:

This has been an argument for as long as I can remember that if you raise wages everything becomes more expensive because they have to keep their profits at same levels at a min or grow and American Capitalism is based on the notion that sacrificing all for the sake of an extra buck is morally/divine right. Because, you know, a company like Apple that hordes 18 billion dollars for nothing can't afford 50 million for raises or accommodate.

I think it comes down to American Conservatives have to imagine that everything is the best possible way it could ever be, short of rolling back to an even older level.

Otherwise, their entire philosophy falls apart.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Young Freud posted:

So, is the EU basically locked in right now in kicking the British out? I figure a "we'll accept your delay but you have to hold a second referendum" would fix this poo poo.

A significant portion of the UK parliament want to be kicked out with no deal and are vehemently opposed to a second referendum that might prevent that from happening.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Of course Biden's behaviour is not okay, and we shouldn't accept it.

Just working on this one unacceptable thing should good enough. MeToo, and all being a kind of binary thing. Depends on what you think is important though, of course. The candidate in question has other positions too, which don't much outweigh this happy groping. Feel free to argue the candidate's other merit's if you are a fan, but I suspect it would be best for the primary thread.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Faustian Bargain posted:

Biden being weird is just him setting up rakes for trump to step on when he calls him out in it.

Not one single person who supports Trump will ever admit that he is being a hypocrite ever

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

empty whippet box posted:

Not one single person who supports Trump will ever admit that he is being a hypocrite ever

It's half the point. They know the open hypocrisy bothers their opponents so therefore it's good.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Biden is creepy enough in public that there's definitely some rapey poo poo in his background.

Even Bill "Definitely a Literal Rapist" Clinton didn't straight up grope strangers in public.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Rex-Goliath posted:

It's half the point. They know the open hypocrisy bothers their opponents so therefore it's good.

They'll even go so far as to turn it around and all but say they are using their hypocrisy to combat the either real or (usually) imagined hypocrisy of the left.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I think I'd make an exception for that little douche.

We really shouldn't, though. IMO it's as bad as waterboarding, if not worse (long term)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

DeeplyConcerned posted:

We really shouldn't, though. IMO it's as bad as waterboarding, if not worse (long term)

Yep, and lord have mercy on the US's collective need for revenge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik#Prison_life

Seems to work well enough for the civilized world.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Stereotype posted:

I can't even begin to understand how you can think that the main reason an airport sandwich costs a lot is because the employees are paid too well.

I mean Shapiro probably knows exactly why stuff at the airport is so expensive, but he doesn't care.

It's all about inciting his audience towards hatred of AOC to boost his ratings/clicks/buys.

Now the people falling for it, yeah, that's a bummer.

Shapiro is one of like 3 people I have on ignore on Twitter because he's so insanely repugnant and I find his popularity to be something of a grim sign. Nothing can stop me from seeing the massive Shapiro billboard off the 405 on my way to work every morning though.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 2, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1112872822379085824

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Young Freud posted:

The EU has already extended this offer to them (and also "we'll accept a delay if you hold new elections").

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

PT6A posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but why is there always such a pushback against the idea that bad, unacceptable things may still be relatively better or worse than other bad, unacceptable things?

Of course Biden's behaviour is not okay, and we shouldn't accept it. But it's not as bad as Trump's behaviour, and there's nothing wrong with saying that.

Beating the poo poo out of someone is horrible, but we can all agree it's not as bad as killing someone, so why can't we just accept that Biden's horrible behaviour is still less horrible than Trump's, despite it still being horrible?

The problem with lesser-evilism like this (besides the fact that its intellectual sloth masquerading as logic) is that there is no endpoint: of you choose a lesser evil then that level of evil becomes the norm. Before too long you will again be presented with a choice and in this new situation the lesser evil option (once chosen) will again become the new norm. This process repeats until the population reaches a point where they have become do accustomed to evil that muted verbal protests are the only result to the revelation that we are genociding children at secret black dites.

The self-important nonsense that calls itself lesser evilidm is perhaps the factor most responsible for the failure of the modern left to resist fascism. Because the white professional class has become accustomed to always choosing the lesser evil in every situation- and they will always argue that active resistance is a greater evil (because of the inherent risks and uncertsinties) than waiting for tomorrow.

Any fool can compare two things and then label themselves a genius for declaring that one thing is better than the other. That isn't insight or maturity or anything of the sort- it's cowardice in my opinion. It's nothing but an intellectual justification for accepting the status quo and refusing to fight for genuinely good things.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

The problem with lesser-evilism like this (besides the fact that its intellectual sloth masquerading as logic) is that there is no endpoint: of you choose a lesser evil then that level of evil becomes the norm. Before too long you will again be presented with a choice and in this new situation the lesser evil option (once chosen) will again become the new norm. This process repeats until the population reaches a point where they have become do accustomed to evil that muted verbal protests are the only result to the revelation that we are genociding children at secret black dites.

The self-important nonsense that calls itself lesser evilidm is perhaps the factor most responsible for the failure of the modern left to resist fascism. Because the white professional class has become accustomed to always choosing the lesser evil in every situation- and they will always argue that active resistance is a greater evil (because of the inherent risks and uncertsinties) than waiting for tomorrow.

Any fool can compare two things and then label themselves a genius for declaring that one thing is better than the other. That isn't insight or maturity or anything of the sort- it's cowardice in my opinion. It's nothing but an intellectual justification for accepting the status quo and refusing to fight for genuinely good things.

Choosing the lesser evil isn't the problem. Choosing the lesser evil is (assuming you understand the actual impact of the choices) always the right strategy. The problem is the lack of engagement in the community and in politics at any other time other than the time of choosing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1112900816371900418

Trumpo doing a good job selling single payer.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Virigoth posted:

Wot's this now?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Virigoth posted:

What's the problem with Elizabeth Warren? I don't know enough to understand the vitriol

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
ghoul hottest word of 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bel Shazar posted:

Choosing the lesser evil isn't the problem. Choosing the lesser evil is (assuming you understand the actual impact of the choices) always the right strategy. The problem is the lack of engagement in the community and in politics at any other time other than the time of choosing.

Lol no it isn't. Choosing the lesser evil is always choosing to enable/support evil; and that decision ALWAYS costs you more down the road tomorrow than losing while fighting for good today would have. Always. Without fail*.

*Every time.

The problem is you cannot build communities or meaningfully engage individuals in politics if all you do is choose the lesser evil option every time. No one will respond to you or be willing to follow a leader who only chooses the lesser evil. Your approach is nonsense that guarantees failure because it ignores fundamentals of leadership and general human behavior.

The utter priveleged naivete of the white professional class is America's greatest barrier to resisting the spread of fascism in our culture.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FateFree posted:

What's the problem with Elizabeth Warren? I don't know enough to understand the vitriol

Everyone with a voting record fails someone's purity test.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I think when you have a limited set of choices choosing the least evil option is sometimes the best you can do. You have to work outside of those choices to receive options which are not at all evil. Though if you are “settling” for lesser evil than there is a need to take action to change the situation if possible.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Haha they are trying to pretend like Trump knows anything about policy.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Super-Id posted:

I think when you have a limited set of choices choosing the least evil option is sometimes the best you can do. You have to work outside of those choices to receive options which are not at all evil. Though if you are “settling” for lesser evil than there is a need to take action to change the situation if possible.

If all your options are evil then you fight for better options- even (and especially) if you will disrupt the system by doing so.

Reminder that we are having this discussion while our government is genociding children at secret black sites.

There are no lesser evils while the camps are open.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Munkeymon posted:

Everyone with a voting record fails someone's purity test.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ah yes, the beloved private insurance companies. The ones that everyone loves a lot.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Prester Jane posted:

If all your options are evil then you fight for better options- even (and especially) if you will disrupt the system by doing so.

Reminder that we are having this discussion while our government is genociding children at secret black sites.

There are no lesser evils while the camps are open.

You’re dumb as hell if you think one side isn’t more evil than the other

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If Donald wants to make Republican Health Care Ideals the centerpiece of the 2020 election he's uh

welcome, IMO.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Prester Jane posted:

How did you manage to turn this into picking the lesser evil? We're not picking between Trump and Biden except possibly in a hypothetical I really hope doesn't come to pass. We are more likely to choose between Biden and a bunch of other Democratic candidates, one of whom will probably beat him, and almost all of whom are far better than him. He's poo poo, both because of the sexmonstering, and also because he's just really, really short on positive qualities of any sort. He shouldn't be popular, people should not support him, he shouldn't run, and I dearly hope he is not the Democratic nominee.

The statement "he is not as bad as Trump" is hardly an endorsement, since it's a statement that applies to probably around 5.5 billion people on Earth. That doesn't make it not true.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1112908210090987528

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
That's right americans - you might LOSE your beloved private health insurance! No more copays, no more coinsurance, no more prior authorization, no more pre existing conditions. Where's the fun in that?!

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Stereotype posted:

You’re dumb as hell if you think one side isn’t more evil than the other

It's like I am being wilfully misinterpreted. Its not about one side being more or less evil than the other- its about refusing to fight for good things because accepting less-evil things is easier/safer.

I think accepting the lesser evil as a primary strategy is naive bolloxs that only makes sense if you have spent your life in a privileged bubble. Further the idea of always pursuing lesser-evilism makes it loving impossible to build a community of regular people- you might build a few associations of similarly priveleged people but you will never build the kind of community that is required to change politics.

What I am saying is that the left needs to start unapologetically fighting for good things. Doing that shows true leadership- and people respond to true leadership no matter how otherwise powerless the leader is. (See for example AOC, her popularity and power are derived from her unswerving pursuit of good things and her flat rejection of the lesser-evilism that has dominated democratic ideology for decades.)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The president is currently ranting puerto rico got more money than any other place in history.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The thing you appear to be missing is that literally no one in this thread has suggested Biden would be a good candidate, and no one's arguing we should go for a lesser-evil in the primary. Tilt at those windmills all you like, but there's just no point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Donald really does think the Republicans will poll better on healthcare if he just talks poo poo about Obamacare more