Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Mohiam has metal teeth in the new movie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also hope the eyes of ibad don't glow.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thinking about things that bothered me with the Dune movie and limited series. For the most part the Lynch film was awesome, I like heart plugs and weirding modules and cat milking. Of course the obvious things would be like...making it rain and the overall pacing of the movie.

But let's list some small changes that actually bothered us.

Film: I didn't like how when the Fremen say that Jessica would be a Sayyadina to their tribe she gets all emotionally affected like there's some prophecy being fulfilled. That's the Missionary Protectiva doing its job, she should have expected it.

Miniseries: I hated how when Mohaim has the gom jobbar / box and Paul starts with the litany against fear she goes "Yes child...PRAY." It's infuriating. Like Mohaim was taking pleasure in torturing him and somehow didn't understand the litany and is enjoying the futility of his prayer? That makes no loving sense.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I didn't like how in the film, during the rescue sequence of the spice harvester about to be eaten by a worm, the director of the film is clearly visible in certain shots.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

:stare:

I had no idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrjhK0bokdE

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Now that is one water-fat spice worker.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yo mama so fat, she dwells in the graben, sink and pan all at the same time

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tree Bucket posted:

We need an :eyepop: of Paul

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Tree Bucket posted:

She heard wisdom comes from the dessert

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The measure of a truly faithful adaptation is Feyd in bell bottoms.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tree Bucket posted:

Water-fat, surely

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

This one kills only animes

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This one kills only animes

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm not looking this up but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Dune graphic novel/manga.

I'm listening to Dune on audiobook after last reading it in high school and holy moly there's a whole lot more to it that I remember.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MA-Horus posted:

I'm not looking this up but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Dune graphic novel/manga.

There isn't.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There was talk of a low-number print-run comic book done by a couple of fans and being distributed at Emerald City Comic Con, but I don't know what came of it.
Apparently it has been killed in favour of an "official" comic book which has He Who Must Not Be Named involved. What little of it there is, is available on one of the authors' sites.

Other, not so :ninja: edit: There is an official comic book based on the movie.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 2, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I read the movie comic adaptation before seeing the movie or reading the book and it was pretty cool I remember (and trippy).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I would pay a lot to get a copy of Jodo's Dune storyboard by Giraud/Moebius

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 2, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

parsing "ugly lump of a man" into "Gurney Halleck is a literal dwarf" is an interesting choice, but so is turning short thin weaselly Fenring into a roaring warrior.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Jodorowsky never made a secret that he wanted to reinterpret the book his way. But it's ok with me, give me Chris Foss spaceships and Gieger Harkonnen buildings anytime.

And that was in the 70's. It certainly influenced sci-fi movies later

e: lol I remembered the movie was supposed to start with dog beings visiting a "museum of man" where a giant robot on a cross projects the history of mankind. It's only after that bizarre intro that the story kicks in with the usual bits about the Emperor and Arrakis and the spice.

You can see a dog being in the bottom left of the first image I posted above, and others here:

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 2, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Wow. I really like Kynes as a berber-landschnekt space gardener.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Jodorowsky never made a secret that he wanted to reinterpret the book his way. But it's ok with me, give me Chris Foss spaceships and Gieger Harkonnen buildings anytime.

And that was in the 70's. It certainly influenced sci-fi movies later

e: lol I remembered the movie was supposed to start with dog beings visiting a "museum of man" where a giant robot on a cross projects the history of mankind. It's only after that bizarre intro that the story kicks in with the usual bits about the Emperor and Arrakis and the spice.

You can see a dog being in the bottom left of the first image I posted above, and others here:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Knowing Jodorowsky's work this is literally "mankind got extinct because of its hubris and their pet friends took the place of their once masters"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Knowing Jodorowsky's work this is literally "mankind got extinct because of its hubris and their pet friends took the place of their once masters"

What do you think drove the Honored Matres back to the Old Empire? Intelligent dogs, furious about the whole chairdog thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

"You young pup!!"

It's starting to all make sense.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The measure of a truly faithful adaptation is Feyd in bell bottoms.

That line always stuck in my head for some reason. Worlds beyond imagining, with just a hint of mid century smart casual men's fashion.

Temaukel posted:

A "kull wahad"

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 2, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tree Bucket posted:

A "kull wahad"

In the style of :wow: and :drat:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Temaukel posted:

i'm not very good at it but i'll play with photoshop tonight unless somebody else does it first

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Pham Nuwen posted:

parsing "ugly lump of a man" into "Gurney Halleck is a literal dwarf" is an interesting choice, but so is turning short thin weaselly Fenring into a roaring warrior.

Jodo was weird about little people and midgets the deformed, I wish I had his imagination/ability to do that much acid.

Edited for proper words , but standing by my errors

Jestery fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 2, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm not very good at this:

I'm working with the tools I have handy:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Jodorowski has a thing about dwarves.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I started listening to Children of Dune and was getting worried that no one had mentioned Duncan Idaho for a while, and then Stilgar and Leto walked by Mount Duncan.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And whenever Duncan isn't on the screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Duncan?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Temaukel posted:

:neelix:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Temaukel posted:

:haibrow: