Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

V. Illych L. posted:

really nobody wants to lose scotland, even if the place is a party-political liability. it's another land border (and we've all seen how good the uk is at those) a reduced tax base, a diminished country and a demonstration that the foundation of the nation is falling apart

even if it didn't mean the entire patriotic vote leaving in disgust that's a really bad deal to anyone with eyes on the central government

Yeah and since its up to us to let them have another ref I think we just won't, no matter the outcome.

And I think this goes for a tory or Labour gov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Spoon posted:

got a reply back from Labour complaints about Hoey addressing fash on the 29th

not entirely surprising but i guess i had to try

Interestingly I've not yet received a similar dismissal of my earlier complaint about her signal-boosting Brietbart News' "Oh look Christians are getting killed by Muslims why isn't the news going on about this" bullshit after Christchurch.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Yeah and since its up to us to let them have another ref I think we just won't, no matter the outcome.

And I think this goes for a tory or Labour gov

tbh during the chaos of hard brexit I bet scotland could unilaterally secede and Westminster would be too busy deploying the forces to keep logistics running to stop them

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interestingly I've not yet received a similar dismissal of my earlier complaint about her signal-boosting Brietbart News' "Oh look Christians are getting killed by Muslims why isn't the news going on about this" bullshit after Christchurch.

My guess is that despite the obvious and intrinsic connection between addressing that crowd, and fashiness, if they were to suspend someone for talking to people they don't like but not saying anything actively objectionable, that would set an extremely difficult precedent. Given that every MP talks to fashy pricks every day. In parliament.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i get the feeling that labour HQ knows she sucks rear end and are still trying to find a way to boot her in a way they won't come under fire for

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Looking at BBC News site, Boles dropping the whip was nowhere to be seen until I searched for it.

It's quite off the radar... is this surprising?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

tbh during the chaos of hard brexit I bet scotland could unilaterally secede and Westminster would be too busy deploying the forces to keep logistics running to stop them

Historically the UK takes special care to be cruel to those it has power over and keep them under the thumb so I think we'd probably make it a priority above feeding people or functioning

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

labour hq instituting a hostile environment against their most shote mps is good, but also leads to them either actively sabotaging the party or becoming petulant shits about it - hoey could well become nega-corbyn, sitting like a tick on her constituency for decades yet

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

lidl fresh crusty rolls are top tier

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Scotland would be cataclysmically hosed if they made a UDI. It is guaranteed that Spain would veto EU membership.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Scotland would be cataclysmically hosed if they made a UDI. It is guaranteed that Spain would veto EU membership.

I mean, everyone would be unilaterally hosed at that point

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

labour hq instituting a hostile environment against their most shote mps is good, but also leads to them either actively sabotaging the party or becoming petulant shits about it - hoey could well become nega-corbyn, sitting like a tick on her constituency for decades yet

That seems highly unlikely given that her constituency is extremely remain and she is turbobrexit.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Should we just have a civil war so I can die but make it look like I was fighting and not giving up

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Tesseraction posted:

If you think May et al didn't learn from Spain's success smashing heads in Catalonia to international silence...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OwlFancier posted:

That seems highly unlikely given that her constituency is extremely remain and she is turbobrexit.

true she could actually lose it to the lib dems lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

V. Illych L. posted:

Like they're not doing that already

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

Should we just have a civil war so I can die but make it look like I was fighting and not giving up

Whichever goon finds my tear streaked corpse can you pose me heroically

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1113029121179836416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

If labour booted her she would lose it to a labour candidate next election.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Spain could be persuaded not to care.

Scotland joining EU after UK leaves is very different to Catalonia trying to join whilst Spain is still in the EU.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

V. Illych L. posted:

really nobody wants to lose scotland, even if the place is a party-political liability. it's another land border (and we've all seen how good the uk is at those) a reduced tax base, a diminished country and a demonstration that the foundation of the nation is falling apart

even if it didn't mean the entire patriotic vote leaving in disgust that's a really bad deal to anyone with eyes on the central government

I'm okay with balkanisation if it means we'll end up all homebrewing >40% fruit spirits like they do in the actual Balkans

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More excellent news for disaster capitalists:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1113033361373782021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm okay with balkanisation if it means we'll end up all homebrewing >40% fruit spirits like they do in the actual Balkans
lol if you think we'll have fruit

We will be making poitín from old newspapers.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

mehall posted:

Spain could be persuaded not to care.

Scotland joining EU after UK leaves is very different to Catalonia trying to join whilst Spain is still in the EU.

As much as Jedit gon Jedit he's right this time: Spain is utterly terrified of any legal precedent that would undermine Catalan headsmashing, and they cite their 'Spain is indivisible' constitution for this. Spain would oppose UDI specifically, and only UDI, for this reason. Still don't think they'll recognise Kosovo, for the same reason. It's brutal and Francoist but it is consistent across the Spanish political spectrum

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ratjaculation posted:

lidl fresh crusty rolls are top tier

aldi do this sourdough loaf that's just divine

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

She actually gained votes between 2015 and 2017, tbh the best way to oust her is to parachute Chuka in

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Good morning

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1113025647268519937?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I lived through this: (oops forgot to imgur the image!)

http://technosociology.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/egypt-Internet-choke.jpg

I was able to get through on dialup just long enough to get a message out to family. The government got each broadband provider to take out the DNS tables if I recall. Because so few people used dialup anymore, it was still possible to use that and access facebook or twitter directly via the dns number which were helpfully broadcast on a couple of out-of-country satellite tv channels.

Not tried these but have saved the details just in case!

http://www.nippyinternet.co.uk/

Well, remember 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 for the future. However a tech-savvy government that wanted to could make that entirely redundant in seconds - the internet is surprisingly fragile against state actors with a death wish.

Also to my knowledge the tattered remains of what was once Energis/Freeserve, lurking in a basement somewhere in Vodafone, are the only 0845 providers left in the UK with everyone just reselling them. A couple of ISPs do still offer a semi-decent dialup service for a paid subscription but even then they're going to be reliant of one of a *very* small number of companies to actually get data off this Septic Isle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rewriting history to remove tony blair would actually be really funny and we should definitely try it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have some very probateable things to say to you for posting this ughhhhhh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Tony Blair has been so thoroughly memory-holed by Premier Corbyn that he... appears non-stop in interviews chatting poo poo about his own party and how much better he was at politics

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a tech-savvy government

:laffo:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

:spooky: chilling :spooky:

E: she's an strange one actually, the replies to her posts are almost 99% the same group of melts nodding along with her, despite her 11k followers she gets very little pushback.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 2, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well, remember 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 for the future. However a tech-savvy government that wanted to could make that entirely redundant in seconds - the internet is surprisingly fragile against state actors with a death wish.

What's your view on Quad9? Too compromised?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

The politicians may not know poo poo, but the Civil Service definitely do. If Death Queen May screams at them to shut down the internet, they'll know exactly which numbers to call to make it happen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

Can't believe Tess would try to silence TPaine's voice. Stalinism personified.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Obliterati posted:

As much as Jedit gon Jedit he's right this time: Spain is utterly terrified of any legal precedent that would undermine Catalan headsmashing, and they cite their 'Spain is indivisible' constitution for this. Spain would oppose UDI specifically, and only UDI, for this reason. Still don't think they'll recognise Kosovo, for the same reason. It's brutal and Francoist but it is consistent across the Spanish political spectrum

Yeah, I'm not saying it about any form of Scottish independence. Spain have in fact said several times since 2014 that they'd accept the result of an official referendum - because of course they'll never give one to Catalonia.

However, you should note that they didn't say this before the Scottish Indyref but only since the Catalans declared their own unofficial referendum. There is a part of me that suspects they only said it to neutralise the Catalan result, and that if Scotland had voted Yes they would still have blocked it to avoid any chance of later being pressured into giving the Catalans a referendum and creating a precedent. If that suspicion is correct, then I think they'd find a reason to say "things have changed" if Yes we're to win Indyref 2.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jeremy Hussein Hitler Stalin Corbyn and his cult of far-left turbo extreme communists have airbrushed out the beautiful image of Anthony Blair, a magnificent and wondergul man who people keep denigrating because he killed a bunch of people that don't really matter because they never had columns in the Guardian.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well you see in the early 2000s there was this government that just sort of... invaded Iraq. Nobody really knows why it happened. Who was in charge? Oh nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

doot-doo-dooo...