Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The singularity of bollocks is what I call my genitals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also your mom

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
By which I mean I also call my genitals your mom

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Are you his dad? My dad? our dad??????

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
and so you see, even if the applicability of the blockchain is reduced to under one part per trillion, its vibrational presence means i can still scam you

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

Those that read my posts will know that I'm a curious mix of homeopath & crypto-advocate.
Is that mix really so curious?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Forgot to post this in this thread. Content warning: Bitcoin is pissed on by homeless people. Yes, it is sponsored by a real crypto company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCi3X3AbgT4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Paladinus posted:

Forgot to post this in this thread. Content warning: Bitcoin is pissed on by homeless people. Yes, it is sponsored by a real crypto company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCi3X3AbgT4

Well this sure was a cartoon.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
im the exact same blood spatter just resized and rotated endlessly

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Ugh, there are a whole bunch of local bitcoiners, some of which I’ve met irl.

Look at this sausagefest.

https://twitter.com/bitcoinorghk/status/1112294504759848961?s=21

Here, a dude converts money he can spend, into “money” he cannot. Currency of the future, folks.

https://twitter.com/bitcoinorghk/status/1112294787585982465?s=21

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Parkingtigers posted:

Ugh, there are a whole bunch of local bitcoiners, some of which I’ve met irl.

Look at this sausagefest.

https://twitter.com/bitcoinorghk/status/1112294504759848961?s=21

Here, a dude converts money he can spend, into “money” he cannot. Currency of the future, folks.

only one neck beard among them and on a NOT HEFTY FELLOW! Shameful

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

"See? Just 1 - 2 - 3 and your money is safely gone!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s crazy how these Bitcoin conferences almost never have any vendors... because it’s so hard to reasonably exchange goods and services for Bitcoin.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Parkingtigers posted:

"It says here it didn't work, but… uh…"

*audience claps*

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

klafbang posted:

"It says here it didn't work, but… uh…"

*audience claps*

Lmao

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019
My neighbor is a retired engineer who was disabled due to health issues. While talking to him about how I use computing clusters for research, he asked me if I could help him. Apparently in 2012, he bought thousands of dollars of bitcoins and put it in his wallet on a USB (no idea how this works). Anyway, after a nasty divorce and him having to leave, he kept the USB but lost the seed used to generate it. He wanted to know if I could crack the wallet so he can recover the money. I feel so bad for him since it's lost forever, right?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

just_a_person posted:

My neighbor is a retired engineer who was disabled due to health issues. While talking to him about how I use computing clusters for research, he asked me if I could help him. Apparently in 2012, he bought thousands of dollars of bitcoins and put it in his wallet on a USB (no idea how this works). Anyway, after a nasty divorce and him having to leave, he kept the USB but lost the seed used to generate it. He wanted to know if I could crack the wallet so he can recover the money. I feel so bad for him since it's lost forever, right?

Probably, but not necesarily. Butts don't live in a wallet. The wallet is just the key necessary to unlock the transactions you can spend to buy CP and drugs. That means that it is perfectly possible to steal butts from somebody who has the best birdbath-secured offline wallet; that is what these guys do (though the project seems as dead as anything else crypto 6 months after the press release).

It also means there is a chance of unlocking your neighbour's wallet, but it depends on what exactly is stored and what he lost. Probably not, though. The transaction part is based on real cryptography and therefore more vulnerable to the $5 wrench attack than anything you can do with computers. Except threaten to dump a very large server on their head unless they tell you the password.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Does anyone have that bizarre crypto propaganda ad about the dude running the bitcoin lemonade stand where 95% of it sounds like a logical treatise on why crypto is loving awful but at the end it's like "and we cut to five years later where all of these problems with bitcoin have been magically solved and lemonade guy is a jillionaire babe magnet because he HODL'D, get rekt haterz"? It makes scientology look downright rational.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

klafbang posted:

Probably, but not necesarily. Butts don't live in a wallet. The wallet is just the key necessary to unlock the transactions you can spend to buy CP and drugs. That means that it is perfectly possible to steal butts from somebody who has the best birdbath-secured offline wallet; that is what these guys do (though the project seems as dead as anything else crypto 6 months after the press release).

It also means there is a chance of unlocking your neighbour's wallet, but it depends on what exactly is stored and what he lost. Probably not, though. The transaction part is based on real cryptography and therefore more vulnerable to the $5 wrench attack than anything you can do with computers. Except threaten to dump a very large server on their head unless they tell you the password.

I don't understand exactly, and I don't think he knows either. From what I gather, he said he lost the seed used to generate the wallet, so I'm assuming it's some 128-bit random key used to access the wallet right? So if that's lost, the wallet is useless outside of brute forcing it open. That said, I have no idea how he get bitcoins into his wallet in the first place since he didn't mine it, and he said he has never cashed out/doesn't know how, so it's also possible that his coins are on some exchange that went belly up years ago.

I just feel bad for him because his reason for touching the butts was that he hated the banks/banking system that caused the financial crash, and how nothing happened to them in the aftermath. That, combined with having a chronic condition that insurance wouldn't touch resulted in him completely losing everything. I've seen way too many of my friends getting into crypto and getting demolished. I feel like Cassandra because every time I try to point out it's a scam, no one believes me, including my own brother. He bought at the height of it last year and lost everything.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Does anyone have that bizarre crypto propaganda ad about the dude running the bitcoin lemonade stand where 95% of it sounds like a logical treatise on why crypto is loving awful but at the end it's like "and we cut to five years later where all of these problems with bitcoin have been magically solved and lemonade guy is a jillionaire babe magnet because he HODL'D, get rekt haterz"? It makes scientology look downright rational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVZxjVJz4ds

This was not intended to be a satirical piece, funnily enough.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

just_a_person posted:

I don't understand exactly, and I don't think he knows either. From what I gather, he said he lost the seed used to generate the wallet, so I'm assuming it's some 128-bit random key used to access the wallet right? So if that's lost, the wallet is useless outside of brute forcing it open. That said, I have no idea how he get bitcoins into his wallet in the first place since he didn't mine it, and he said he has never cashed out/doesn't know how, so it's also possible that his coins are on some exchange that went belly up years ago.

I just feel bad for him because his reason for touching the butts was that he hated the banks/banking system that caused the financial crash, and how nothing happened to them in the aftermath. That, combined with having a chronic condition that insurance wouldn't touch resulted in him completely losing everything. I've seen way too many of my friends getting into crypto and getting demolished. I feel like Cassandra because every time I try to point out it's a scam, no one believes me, including my own brother. He bought at the height of it last year and lost everything.
Sounds like he generated a private key with a seed using one of the services available like brainwallet or a trezor.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Or he misinterpreted, as people often do, the human-readable form of the key as a seed. Such as the keys generated by Electrum, which are then told you as a string of nouns. But the key is still generated randomly, and not from a user-specified seed, because that would be terrible for security.

newusername
Feb 20, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s crazy how these Bitcoin conferences almost never have any vendors... because it’s so hard to reasonably exchange goods and services for Bitcoin.

It's almost as if bitcoin isn't actually a thing.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

number go up

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Mahler posted:

number go up
Up 14% from $4200 to $4700 in a span of two hours. Hurry, buy now before it rockets even higher!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was at party and talked to a dude who managed to sell at the peak. Except he used all of that money to buy more Bitcoin miners :saddowns:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I was at party and talked to a dude who managed to sell at the peak. Except he used all of that money to buy more Bitcoin miners :saddowns:

Idiocy is inescapable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xtal posted:

Or he misinterpreted, as people often do, the human-readable form of the key as a seed. Such as the keys generated by Electrum, which are then told you as a string of nouns. But the key is still generated randomly, and not from a user-specified seed, because that would be terrible for security.
Hey guess what

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i'm just baffled that someone can buy thousands of dollars worth of bitcoins without first making drat sure that they understand how they're going to access them later

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the same reason so many people bought Lyft stock yesterday. Nobody knows what they are doing.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

LordArgh posted:

i'm just baffled that someone can buy thousands of dollars worth of bitcoins without first making drat sure that they understand how they're going to access them later

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LordArgh posted:

You normally don't generate your own secure key in the foreground for any other asset traded by man. If you ever lose a security key, you can generally talk to the nice bank and they'll verify your identity and give you a new key.

Hell, physically, if you lose your stock coupons that you are holding onto personally for some reason, if you have the serial and a record showing that they ended up with you, you can probably get new ones issued because the issuer is absolutely not interested in deflating their capitalization.

Bitcoin wallets are uniquely terrible while also presenting themself as just another asset, so why shouldn't an old man ask his neighbor who's good at computers to fix his lost Bitcoin key.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bitcoin is actually just like cash in this case, not some terrible new innovation

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

poverty goat posted:

Bitcoin is actually just like cash in this case, not some terrible new innovation
If you store your cash in a mattress that catches on fire you can possibly redeem it as mutilated currency with the feds. Cash is more fully featured for accidental destruction than Bitcoin because it's partly socialized and not beep boop the robot can't help you without a key.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

zedprime posted:

If you store your cash in a mattress that catches on fire you can possibly redeem it as mutilated currency with the feds. Cash is more fully featured for accidental destruction than Bitcoin because it's partly socialized and not beep boop the robot can't help you without a key.

But if you put all your cash in a safe and throw away the key and drop it in the ocean it's lost for good, even if you kept the receipts

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Throwing a safe into the ocean, driving your car into a volcano, blowing up your house with natural gas, opening a Bitcoin wallet without understanding cryptologic transactions. 4 activities with equal intent and purpose.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'm sure gonna be glad when this libertarian fever dream is over.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Any more news out there on the Quadra SUX2B or whatever it's called drama? Can we get the WSJ guy who did the exposé on Theranos to talk to some of the fake mortuaries in India here?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I'm sure gonna be glad when this libertarian fever dream is over.
Why? The laughchain is good for us. Ten years of laughs and there's no sign of it ending anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Any more news out there on the Quadra SUX2B or whatever it's called drama? Can we get the WSJ guy who did the exposé on Theranos to talk to some of the fake mortuaries in India here?

Yes in fact! Ernst & Young have released their Fourth Report as Monitor in the not-a-bankruptcy. It's 200+ pages. They are pissed. In a very :decorum: way, you understand.