Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think the biggest disconnect for me wasn't one of multiple locations but when Leverage filmed on my old college campus and involved a body being dropped off a bridge. The bridge is high, but the river it crosses over is maybe a foot deep and the main transit from the dorms on one side of the campus to the lecture halls on the other. The corpse would be hidden longer if you propped it against a tree in a yoga pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
There was the CBS show starring the guy who played Ben Linus on Lost where he was like a super hacker with cameras everywhere. The only episode I remember was one that had its big ending at the UN Building, but the interior they used was actually the newer courthouse (down the street from the one I mentioned before) that I had just done jury duty in for the first time ever.

Also, yeah, tons of shows and movies mess up the layout of the NYC Subway system which really gets me since I am very familiar with it. Even The Warriors has a couple of mistakes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh my God that Joker

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My speculation is that they End with a major time jump, since I feel like I remember reading that one of the show runners original plans for the show was to be the final scene of the series to be full on Batman, with the context for the quote being that they were talking about what they had hoped for the future of the show and if we would ever see Batman in it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Still better than Jared Leto's.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That picture is horrifying

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ToastyPotato posted:

There was the CBS show starring the guy who played Ben Linus on Lost where he was like a super hacker with cameras everywhere. The only episode I remember was one that had its big ending at the UN Building, but the interior they used was actually the newer courthouse (down the street from the one I mentioned before) that I had just done jury duty in for the first time ever.

Also, yeah, tons of shows and movies mess up the layout of the NYC Subway system which really gets me since I am very familiar with it. Even The Warriors has a couple of mistakes.

Parts of Detroit were used for Metropolis and Gotham in Batman vs Superman.

Detroit was also used for generic city in the first Transformers movie. Don’t know why they didn’t just have it take place in Detroit. You’d think the Motor City would be too obvious to paaa up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh my God that Joker

Reminds me of Old Joker in that Morrison JLA story.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

Parts of Detroit were used for Metropolis and Gotham in Batman vs Superman.

Detroit was also used for generic city in the first Transformers movie. Don’t know why they didn’t just have it take place in Detroit. You’d think the Motor City would be too obvious to paaa up.

I think the worst for this was the Nolan Batman Trilogy, which I think started off in Chicago, with CG'd city shots, then in TDK, they didn't really bother with the crazy CG cityscape as much, but in Rises, they decided to say gently caress it, and literally just use NYC for all establishing city shots, which is super jarring since NYC is recognizable as gently caress. Pretty sure they show lower and mid Manhattan skyline complete with WTC and Empire State building in at least one helicopter shot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Better than Leto though I guess that's the absolute lowest bar to clear

At least the Leto version got the narcissism. He got the grill to cover up his missing front teeth. He didn't look like he was going through chemo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Still better than Jared Leto's.

All other portrayals of the Joker are better than Leto’s.

Personally, I think Hamill’s run in BTAS is the best.

Nicholson and Ledger are so different I call that one a tie. Romero’s is fun as hell.

Then there’s a bunch of animated portrayals that aren’t Mark Hamill.

Then there’s any future casting of the Joker.

Then there’s Leto.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 2, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Batman Telltale Series has a really good Joker

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alaois posted:

Strongly Disagree

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Alaois posted:

There was some potential there, but it was wasted when they decided to railroad him into being a villain no matter what. I mean, they had to know at some point they weren't going to get to do a third one, so why not let your actions turn him into... well, something other then the stock Joker?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Didn't it turn out that the real villain was Harley and the proper choices could turn him into a twisted vigilante who considers Bruce a friend, instead of a standard psycho obsessed with Batman and chaos? That's pretty different I'd say.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Joker in Gotham looks that way because the vat of chemicals hosed him up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Argue posted:

Didn't it turn out that the real villain was Harley and the proper choices could turn him into a twisted vigilante who considers Bruce a friend, instead of a standard psycho obsessed with Batman and chaos? That's pretty different I'd say.

Yes, but...

Regardless of how you get there, the end point is still Bruce beating up the Joker and putting him in Arkham Which if you went down the vigilante route, is pretty heart breaking.

I believe that the TellTale team were convinced that they'd get a third game since they did bait some hooks for sequels in it, but obviously we'll never see that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

Yes, but...

Regardless of how you get there, the end point is still Bruce beating up the Joker and putting him in Arkham Which if you went down the vigilante route, is pretty heart breaking.

I believe that the TellTale team were convinced that they'd get a third game since they did bait some hooks for sequels in it, but obviously we'll never see that.

Yeah, Batman felt like the ur-example of TellTale's 'no matter what choice you make, this will happen regardless' formula. See also: Anything to do with Catwoman. "Hey, Selina, you can totally stay at the Manor." Catwoman: *Has no scenes until the end of the game, leaves anyway*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh i just meant performance wise, the way his story played out was pretty clearly On The Rail and the Catwoman thing Dawgstar mentioned is the worst

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Batman felt like the ur-example of TellTale's 'no matter what choice you make, this will happen regardless' formula. See also: Anything to do with Catwoman. "Hey, Selina, you can totally stay at the Manor." Catwoman: *Has no scenes until the end of the game, leaves anyway*

That's true.

Do you want to save Harvey Dent from the Penguin's goons or Catwoman?

If you choose to save Harvey he doesn't become disfigured and it has a mild effect on the rest of the plot.
The choice makes no difference to Catwoman's status in the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

That's true.

Do you want to save Harvey Dent from the Penguin's goons or Catwoman?

If you choose to save Harvey he doesn't become disfigured and it has a mild effect on the rest of the plot.
The choice makes no difference to Catwoman's status in the game.

It apparently changes a bit with Selina if (when?) you sleep with her. If you're like "I'll go make breakfast" or whatever she can't believe you thought it was anything but a one-night stand. If you saved her (because suddenly the Olympic-level gymnast, martial artist, master thief) can't take care of herself she's more open to you hanging out.

I only know this because I saved Catwoman because at that point I just figured we should go ahead and get Two-Face rolling because it would happen anyway. And to be fair, I was wrong - he didn't get his face scarred up but he still lays siege to the Manor regardless so... who cares?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

The Joker in Gotham looks that way because the vat of chemicals hosed him up.

The joker in the comics and several of the movies also fell into chemicals and it didn't turn any of them into chemotherapy Freddy Krueger.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

The joker in the comics and several of the movies also fell into chemicals and it didn't turn any of them into chemotherapy Freddy Krueger.

This is the shows like 5th version of joker. Theyve had "decent looking guy in makeup and really crazy" joker already. Monster joker is fine.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

This is the shows like 5th version of joker. Theyve had "decent looking guy in makeup and really crazy" joker already. Monster joker is fine.

Except none of those were the Joker. And they also all sucked. And they did monster joker with the dumb sewed on face thing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Except none of those were the Joker. And they also all sucked. And they did monster joker with the dumb sewed on face thing.

Um that's not monster joker, that's stitched on face joker and is totally different

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Maybe, just maybe there are too many Jokers. Perhaps we could all get by with fewer crime clowns.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I saw this and laughed.

https://twitter.com/JustinWhang/status/1113263624078995456?s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

You do know up that WB told them no "Joker" by name for the first 4 season at the least and that the people behind Gotham decided to do different takes on the Joker as a homage to the different iterations in the comics?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lori Petty Joker was awesome

edit: also laughing at "no, this is what happens when someone falls into a vat a chemicals!"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

You do know up that WB told them no "Joker" by name for the first 4 season at the least and that the people behind Gotham decided to do different takes on the Joker as a homage to the different iterations in the comics?

Still not the Joker. And also none of them were good either so even if they were they were still bad like this one. Just in different ways.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Davros1 posted:

edit: also laughing at "no, this is what happens when someone falls into a vat a chemicals!"

See I thought she wasn't bad and wondered if she was going to be the next iteration of the Joker in the show. More of an embrace of the anarchy the joker represents to some.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Yeah she was really cool!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can someone sum up what the hell happened with the Joker for me? I jumped off Gotham around season 2 or 3, and one of the reasons was that they killed Jerome and showed his body at the morgue after a one-off episode (or was it a 2-parter?) when he was such a great pre-Joker.

e: also, you guys have to relax with the city streets. How many people live in New York? These movies are aimed at billions of people who will never notice the difference. Maybe it looks better if they constantly walk down the wrong streets with significant landmarks in the background than if they were just going through generic neighborhoods.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phenotype posted:

Can someone sum up what the hell happened with the Joker for me? I jumped off Gotham around season 2 or 3, and one of the reasons was that they killed Jerome and showed his body at the morgue after a one-off episode (or was it a 2-parter?) when he was such a great pre-Joker.

e: also, you guys have to relax with the city streets. How many people live in New York? These movies are aimed at billions of people who will never notice the difference. Maybe it looks better if they constantly walk down the wrong streets with significant landmarks in the background than if they were just going through generic neighborhoods.

They brought him back to life, then killed him again and introduced his identical twin brother who also turned into a proto-joker, complete with purple suit at one point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Phenotype posted:

You jumped off before Jerome came back.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ugh that's still so dumb and convoluted I'm glad I didnt watch it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gotham owns.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Season one was such a clusterfuck but season two seemed to be getting things right but I stopped watching about 3 episodes in for that season.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Randian Depression Power Hour Cloak and Dagger season 2 premiered tonight and it's just about as great a show as it was last season. I can't believe they defeated Thanos tonight! no but forreal I didn't see that twist at the end coming at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
season 2 of the tick is also available today