Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
how can you not beam while the shields are up but you can shoot phasers (energy) and torpedos (matter) through them no problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thom12255 posted:

how can you not beam while the shields are up but you can shoot phasers (energy) and torpedos (matter) through them no problem

What the gently caress. How is this the first time I've ever heard of this inconsistency. It's so obvious and I literally have never seen anyone bring it up.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What the gently caress. How is this the first time I've ever heard of this inconsistency. It's so obvious and I literally have never seen anyone bring it up.

I'm kinda feeling like I need to take a walk over this because yeah holy poo poo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Signal loss is a bigger problem for transport. Edit:. Nope, doesn't explain torpedoes.

Alternatively, the shields are aware of where outgoing disruptions will occur and open that locus temporarily. Edit: ah, that should work for transport.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 2, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait, they could transport the torpedoes to just outside the shield.

Wait, no, poo poo, that doesn't work.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It works because it works.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Drone posted:

It works because it works.

Until it doesn't.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Frequencies.

Or, like, you can open little holes in force fields, maybe you can do it with shields for the guns, but that's not enough for a transporter because transporters are big and complex.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, I was thinking frequencies, but what are the torpedoes doing? Just cancelling out the local shielding at point of contact?

And then I seem to recall finding out an enemy shield's frequency allowing beam-thru, but I may be misremembering.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, I was thinking frequencies, but what are the torpedoes doing? Just cancelling out the local shielding at point of contact?

Torpedos have a frequency, presumably something to do with the big glow they have - the klingons set their torpedo frequencies to blow up the Enterprise D.

quote:

And then I seem to recall finding out an enemy shield's frequency allowing beam-thru, but I may be misremembering.

Yeah they do that a few times too. Weird they didn't use it to beam through their own shields before that trick came up, although later in Voyager it was treated as given that they could except when they couldn't.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 2, 2019

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Maybe it's also an issue of time? Like it may only take half a second or less for a torpedo or phaser to pass through the shields whereas they'd have to have the shields down for longer for a transporter beam.
Or :techno:something something ionic interference :techno:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
If Starfleet would simply adopt a multple directional shield generator system they could drop a shield on one side of the ship while the enemy was on the other and do all the beaming they desired. Like in First Conta...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Maybe it's also an issue of time? Like it may only take half a second or less for a torpedo or phaser to pass through the shields whereas they'd have to have the shields down for longer for a transporter beam.
Or :techno:something something ionic interference :techno:

For the beaming they have to wait for Picard or Riker to pause dramatically, order the transport verbally, exchange pensive looks with other bridge crew, verbally contact the transporter room, ask if they made it, exchange relieved or distraught looks with bridge crew, then verbally order the shields back up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would be willing to shoot a gun or shine a flashlight through a lot of things I wouldn't put my head through

Transporters work the same way

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Transporter signals are way more complicated than phasers. If your phaser gets noisy passing through your shields, it's way less of a deal than if your Captain gets, uh, noisy.

As for torpedoes, perhaps the shields are one-way permeable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They shoot through their shields via an application of the Survig effect (c.f. Survig & Hapley 2132) on energy fields to allow for localised monodirectional passage via polaric manipulation. 👍

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's literally a plot point a couple times (esp. in Generations) that someone spoofing your shield frequencies means you basically have no shields as far as their weapons are concerned. I assume it doesn't work with transporters for ~~~reasons~~~

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's literally a plot point a couple times (esp. in Generations) that someone spoofing your shield frequencies means you basically have no shields as far as their weapons are concerned. I assume it doesn't work with transporters for ~~~reasons~~~

I have to assume that the reasons are that transporters are way tolerant of interference than torpedoes or phasers. You don't sync the phase just right and the other ship ends up with a half-living pile of pudding screaming in mortal agony.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You'd want the high point of your phaser signal to hit the shield in the correct phase to not be nullified. So 180° out is the worst place to be as an attacker and the best for defense, it has the highest interference on the same frequency. I think you, as a defender, would want to actually have three shields at the same frequency but 120° out of phase with the others so there's not only never a zero point to fire through but also a constant opposition to whatever is slung at you, even if that zero point would be measured in, like, a billionth of a second.

Single or multiphase, though, as an attacker, your phaser beam has to have vastly more energy to prevent all of your attack from vanishing in the interference and still do damage. And because lasers are subject to the inverse-square law, if you're too far away your phaser's power cannot possibly be strong enough to escape the shield interference effect without your weapon generating so much power that it fries you in turn.

But then, still, how do you fire through your own shields? I think you'd have no choice but to open a window, frankly.

I'm no engineer, though, just an electrician, so if I've missed or misinterpreted something in that and any of y'all know better, let me know. It's a fun thought exercise!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They literally get called 'goblins' in the show.

that would make ferengi just more vulcans and that hardly makes sense

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
You can shoot through the shields because you have the frequency. You can't transport through the shields because, even with the frequency, it fucks with the signal.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if you used some kind of tetreon pulse

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
What if you hotwired the teleporters to the holodeck power grid and shot the beam through the deflector

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wow this page has been a rollercoaster. I was worried for a moment that the science in Star Trek might not make any sense.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

she's givin' it all she's got cap'n, we dinnae have the power for a tetreon pulse

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tunicate posted:

she's givin' it all she's got cap'n, we dinnae have the power for a tetreon pulse

What if we patched in power from the shuttles

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

marktheando posted:

Wow this page has been a rollercoaster. I was worried for a moment that the science in Star Trek might not make any sense.

Right? Luckily I was bored enough to write an effortpost to ground the space-magic firmly in reality.

You can donate to my Patreon for more """quality""" overthinking like this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thotsky posted:

You can shoot through the shields because you have the frequency. You can't transport through the shields because, even with the frequency, it fucks with the signal.

Except when Saru beamed down to a planet when the shields were up a few weeks ago on Discovery, and numerous other occasions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sarus body is comprised of slippery molecules that can squeeze right through shields, like water off a ducks back

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We tried but there's some kind of resistance, some kind of antitetreon field. I'm attempting some kind of workaround through some kind of some kind of some kind of relay.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They added dark matter to the quantum phase inducers which allowed them to overclock the hiesenburg compensators. This happened offscreen, obviously, but you cranky nerds would have just complained about :techno: if they had said it on screen

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

We tried but there's some kind of resistance, some kind of antitetreon field. I'm attempting some kind of workaround through some kind of some kind of some kind of relay.

Just reroute power through the secondary field coil. Didn't they teach you that at the academy?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Just reroute power through the secondary field coil. Didn't they teach you that at the academy?

I'll have to reroute through tertiary, there's a cascade neutrino failure in the interstitial matrix!!????

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sarus body is comprised of slippery molecules that can squeeze right through shields, like water off a ducks back

Now I’m imagining he’s got no bones, just cartilage, which fits, honestly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm going to augment my posting with Borg algorithms

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

I'm going to augment my posting with Borg algorithms

*posts John Galt speech in binary*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Now I’m imagining he’s got no bones, just cartilage, which fits, honestly.

his skin is perfectly smooth, like a shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nodosaur posted:

did Nana Visitor and Alexander Siddig's divorce end messily or are they still on good terms? Because I'm noticing Kira and Bashir have really good understated chemistry and it'd be really sad if their actors didn't get along anymore.

Page ago but they seem to be still on great terms. Nana's twitter will always mention how excited she is to hang out with him when ever they're in the same town and they do things with their adult son frequently too.

Sucks the relationship didn't last though. When ever I'm reading a wiki on some actor it's always such a shock to see only a single entry for spouse. Something about actors, specially male actors, having like 4+ spouse listings, generally all the same age too of course.

John D. Actor
Spouse: Some same-aged lady not involved in hollywood: 1978-1990 (2 children)
Spouse: A fellow actor at a similar place in her career or successful producer or something: 1990-1997 (2 children)
Spouse: A fairly popular newish actor 10 years his junior: 1998-2002 (1 child)
Spouse: Model turned actor, 15 years his junior: 2002-2008
Spouse: Mildly popular indie musician and aspiring actress, 25 years his junior: 2010-2011

That pattern is just grossly common. I love it when any famous person has been with a single spouse their whole career, double if they got married before either were famous.