Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

pdxjohan posted:

Next weeks dev diary for Imperator will be good for you then.

This would be an extremely mean April Fool's joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

VostokProgram posted:

I don't know what game mechanics Hoi5 will have but Hoi6 will be played with sticks and stones

Lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Imperator is absolutely going to be a March of the Eagles/Sengoku style proof-of-concept title/quickly abandoned cash grab

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

VostokProgram posted:

I don't know what game mechanics Hoi5 will have but Hoi6 will be played with sticks and stones

:perfect:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Paradox is making a John Romero strategy game.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Paradox is going to revive Magna Mundi

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Average Bear posted:

Imperator is absolutely going to be a March of the Eagles/Sengoku style proof-of-concept title/quickly abandoned cash grab

I said a few months ago that I was getting this vibe and got shouted down but I still feel like there’s a decent chance this is true.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pdxjohan posted:

holy gently caress

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Average Bear posted:

proof of concept for what? Many of the mechanics developed for it are explicitly designed for the ancient world. There is some improvement on mechanics that could translate to Victoria or EU or something but nothing like Sengoku being a testing ground for CK2

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Average Bear posted:

It would hold true to EU: Rome then since that was basically an EU3 spinoff

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
They've spent way too much advertising I:R for it to not be a new mainline title, especially with EU4 and CK2 approaching maintenance status

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pdxjohan posted:

:kiss:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
johan right now: okay, we need a way to automate the armies

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

One thing that's gone unsaid but is worth mentioning is that the "Armies As Discrete Particles of Statistics Moving Around on a Map" model lends itself to pen and paper wargaming where you've got people who are good at moving particles around and bad at computing rules that are more complex than particles. Computers are currently just plain bad at moving discrete stat particles around in a strategically effective manner, and if it's doing the computation for us then why cling to particles other than the ability to attach NATO tokens to individual particles?

For industrial warfare, having a solid front is so important that it just doesn't make sense to do anything else, so it's crippling the AI to force it to work its way up to that level of abstraction from particles. If the game starts with that abstraction and just lets the AI work from there, then the computer has a much better chance of doing things effectively. In HOI4, the battle planner doesn't work with individual stats particles and people are perfectly fine with that. You draw out lines, point out where to attack, where to fall back and so forth. Translating it back just seems to overcomplicate things.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK, what if we modeled armies as both a particle and a wave?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

1337JiveTurkey posted:

One thing that's gone unsaid but is worth mentioning is that the "Armies As Discrete Particles of Statistics Moving Around on a Map" model lends itself to pen and paper wargaming where you've got people who are good at moving particles around and bad at computing rules that are more complex than particles. Computers are currently just plain bad at moving discrete stat particles around in a strategically effective manner, and if it's doing the computation for us then why cling to particles other than the ability to attach NATO tokens to individual particles?

For industrial warfare, having a solid front is so important that it just doesn't make sense to do anything else, so it's crippling the AI to force it to work its way up to that level of abstraction from particles. If the game starts with that abstraction and just lets the AI work from there, then the computer has a much better chance of doing things effectively. In HOI4, the battle planner doesn't work with individual stats particles and people are perfectly fine with that. You draw out lines, point out where to attack, where to fall back and so forth. Translating it back just seems to overcomplicate things.

While I get your point and am actually net positive on trying a front abstraction model, specifically using HOI4 as an example would be a terrible idea. Yes, having front lines was imperative in WW2, and the entire purpose of tanks/mechanized/motorized infantry was to be able to punch through / maneuver around that front and cause disorder in the back lines and encirclement. Switching things to a “non particle based” front model would lose that dynamic.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

johan right now: okay, we need a way to automate the armies

Having fronts and battleplans with a general in charge of them (and gaining the loyalty of all the armies within them) seems like a good way to avoid the "multiple stacks so no general can ever be a threat" issue; besides the obvious automation benefits

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Army automation could work very nicely with loyalty and corruption mechanics. Provide a nice little grey area between full rebellion and directly obeying every order.

Probably a lot of the mechanics could be brought around into the colonial parts of EU. Barbarians could also cover dealing with the areas that are just terra incognita. Technologically, whatever method they use for managing the huge number of provinces in Imperator could come in handy too. Automating exploration might also make sense for EU.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Average Bear posted:

No way, its gonna sell like gangbusters because its Rome and they've spent a lot more time marketing it than those games.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

While I get your point and am actually net positive on trying a front abstraction model, specifically using HOI4 as an example would be a terrible idea. Yes, having front lines was imperative in WW2, and the entire purpose of tanks/mechanized/motorized infantry was to be able to punch through / maneuver around that front and cause disorder in the back lines and encirclement. Switching things to a “non particle based” front model would lose that dynamic.

You can still model that sort of thing though. An abstracted front can still model how divisions are more or less densely situated along the front including breaks where there's no density along one side. When that happens, the line can shift rapidly so long as one side has and encirclements can happen as a special case. In some ways it's better because with discrete units there aren't really back lines to disrupt as such because they're inherently homogenous unless you break things down absurdly far.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Bring back Hoi 3 OOB/CoC.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
To bring back a topic we discussed a while back, date tooltip now shows BCE, rejoice nerds who were upset about numbers.

Screengrab from the latest Imperator stream:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fellblade posted:

To bring back a topic we discussed a while back, date tooltip now shows BCE, rejoice nerds who were upset about numbers.

Screengrab from the latest Imperator stream:

:getin:

I mean the game is named Imperator, it only seems right to use their dating system

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
in the year of Our Groogy, 476.5.4

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This is gonna be a weird one because I have definitely played the game before but don't want to start up a new save at the present just because I Read Some Historical Article:

...is there an abdication mechanic in CK2 short of the suicide plot when you're depressed, or really stupid metagaming of failed revocation war CB's? I honestly cannot remember. Thats.... a very historically important thing to not have, in the medieval period history mapgame.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

This is gonna be a weird one because I have definitely played the game before but don't want to start up a new save at the present just because I Read Some Historical Article:

...is there an abdication mechanic in CK2 short of the suicide plot when you're depressed, or really stupid metagaming of failed revocation war CB's? I honestly cannot remember. Thats.... a very historically important thing to not have, in the medieval period history mapgame.

I think it's deliberate that it's not in there because a big part of the game is not quite knowing when you're going to switch to your heir. If you could abdicate freely then everyone would just do it as soon as their strong genius son turned 16.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

There's not, but I've seen mods that let you do it. Or you can just console kill yourself.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Voluntarily abdicating also was super duper mega rare in the time period and parts of the world CK2 takes place

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it's deliberate that it's not in there because a big part of the game is not quite knowing when you're going to switch to your heir. If you could abdicate freely then everyone would just do it as soon as their strong genius son turned 16.

This is one of the best parts of the game for me. It might not be historical, and a bit gamey, but I love the uncertainty that you get towards the end of a particularly good king's life where you have the stats and the positive relations to wage war, but the dude's 76 and if he dies in the middle, your failure of a son who was 3rd in line for the throne will take over because the two first wunderkinds died for one reason or another and your realm will spin apart because everyone hates him because he's lazy and fat and oh god the French are in a two-front war and now is my only realistic chance to beat themAHSDGDFGHS!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

proof of concept for what? Many of the mechanics developed for it are explicitly designed for the ancient world. There is some improvement on mechanics that could translate to Victoria or EU or something but nothing like Sengoku being a testing ground for CK2

Victoria 3 baby

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Average Bear posted:

Victoria 3 baby

I want Vicky 3 to have character mechanics, so I can marry Karl Marx to Queen Victoria.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The closest I know of is you can be deposed by your faction in favor of your heir. I'm not particularly sure how that happens though. CK2 also likes to maintain the conceit that you are your character, not the country your character rules, so it'd probably not let you swap characters unless your character lost all his land in the process of abdication.

I think a lot of abdication is a relatively newer thing, since it goes against the spirit of the monarch appointed by divine right. There's also the whole angle that your castle isn't just the key part of your domain, it's your house. There's no retiring to obscurity when the seat of power is a few doors down. Unless something big happens to make people stop listening to you, your say will still matter.

There were a bunch of more complicated situations with things like Charles the Hammer and the Karling line being the "mayors of the palace" and the power behind the throne before Charlemagne finally took the power directly (and got the Pope to give it legitimacy), but most of that predates CK2's timeline.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The closest I know of is you can be deposed by your faction in favor of your heir. I'm not particularly sure how that happens though. CK2 also likes to maintain the conceit that you are your character, not the country your character rules, so it'd probably not let you swap characters unless your character lost all his land in the process of abdication.

I think a lot of abdication is a relatively newer thing, since it goes against the spirit of the monarch appointed by divine right. There's also the whole angle that your castle isn't just the key part of your domain, it's your house. There's no retiring to obscurity when the seat of power is a few doors down. Unless something big happens to make people stop listening to you, your say will still matter.

There were a bunch of more complicated situations with things like Charles the Hammer and the Karling line being the "mayors of the palace" and the power behind the throne before Charlemagne finally took the power directly (and got the Pope to give it legitimacy), but most of that predates CK2's timeline.

Hell even in the 30s abdication was still a big deal. Despite the monarchy not having actual power in the UK for centuries at that point.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Average Bear posted:

Victoria 3 baby

just lol if you think victoria 3 will be a more popular setting than imperator

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I do fear that Imperator will be a little barebones at launch, but I very heavily doubt paradox plans on dropping support for it immediately after release or anything like that. This is clearly a new mainline title for them. I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC plays up the character interactions so it can serve as the replacement for CK2.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

just lol if you think victoria 3 will be a more popular setting than imperator

just lol if you think anybody in the victoria 3 fancrew cares

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In the real world, the king abdicating didn't mean he suddenly possessed his heir and kept on ruling through a different body.

In a hypothetical CK where unlanded characters were meaningfully playable, you could make abdication work - if you abdicate, you don't immediately start playing as your heir, instead you mess around as an unlanded character until you actually die.

The player's innate desire to maintain control would therefore mirror the real-world king's desire, thus making abdication a thing that happens only when it really makes sense.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hell even in the 30s abdication was still a big deal. Despite the monarchy not having actual power in the UK for centuries at that point.

Lookin’ at you, EU4

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jabor posted:

In the real world, the king abdicating didn't mean he suddenly possessed his heir and kept on ruling through a different body.

In a hypothetical CK where unlanded characters were meaningfully playable, you could make abdication work - if you abdicate, you don't immediately start playing as your heir, instead you mess around as an unlanded character until you actually die.

The player's innate desire to maintain control would therefore mirror the real-world king's desire, thus making abdication a thing that happens only when it really makes sense.

In the real world, your consciousness doesn't immediately possess a designated heir the day you die, either. Therefore, CK3 should give you one life to live and it's game over when you die.

You can make an argument for abdication not switching player control to a new character, but this would be neither more nor less realistic than the current system.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
None of it is realistic, the point is that it encourages somewhat more realistic behaviours.