Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

I feel like I’m missing a reference here, what does Oda/One Piece have to do with Precure?

Oda's daughter likes precure more than One Piece, so he consideres it his rival series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
And honestly, she's right.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the difference is that One Piece clearly has a measure of a plan, or at least is made from the start with the idea of being in a big world full of enemies going from low tier to high, no need to introduce space aliens out of nowhere to keep the stakes rising. Also helps with the themes; there are vague yet defined personal goals for every major character, the 'dreams' the story is based around, and they relate specifically to ideas within the setting.

And yet, One Piece still has space aliens out of nowhere.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

And yet, One Piece still has space aliens out of nowhere.

Well, yes, but Ghost Leviathan was clearly referring to space aliens out of nowhere who raise the stakes by being stronger than everybody else introduced so far, like Raditz and Kaguya. Imu is a more relevant counterexample than the literal aliens from Enel's cover story.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I see your space aliens and raise you Germans From Another Dimension

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Bleck posted:

I see your space aliens and raise you Germans From Another Dimension

Germa(n) 66?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

LostRook posted:

Germa(n) 66?

Bleach's Wandenreich

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Silver2195 posted:

Well, yes, but Ghost Leviathan was clearly referring to space aliens out of nowhere who raise the stakes by being stronger than everybody else introduced so far, like Raditz and Kaguya. Imu is a more relevant counterexample than the literal aliens from Enel's cover story.

And we don't even know what's going on with Imu aside from being the secret tyrant behind the World Government, which shouldn't really at all be surprising given how well established it is that the WG has at least an entire century's worth of dirty secrets they will literally commit genocide to keep secret, not to mention the whole thing being founded on hypocrisy clearly sets the stage for the whole thing coming apart at the seams. (I still say that the logical plot progression, and a likely one given Japan's history, is an outright military coup by the Marines)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
drat bringing Bon Clay back has been so rewarding but after the match with the warden when they go down to level 5 he really shows his stuff. Impel Down has been super good considering it’s Luffy with the backup crew :v:

e; the horm horm fruit....

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 2, 2019

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And we don't even know what's going on with Imu aside from being the secret tyrant behind the World Government, which shouldn't really at all be surprising given how well established it is that the WG has at least an entire century's worth of dirty secrets they will literally commit genocide to keep secret, not to mention the whole thing being founded on hypocrisy clearly sets the stage for the whole thing coming apart at the seams. (I still say that the logical plot progression, and a likely one given Japan's history, is an outright military coup by the Marines)

Luffy is going to accidentally destroy whatever is keeping the Marines from pulling off a coup in the final arc, which will lead to Coby taking the Fleet Admiral spot in a 30-year flashforward.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what does Luffy do after he achieves his goal?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Parties. Lots and lots of parties.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

food

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Adventure! He hasn’t seen literally every island in the world yet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tolth posted:

Luffy is going to accidentally destroy whatever is keeping the Marines from pulling off a coup in the final arc, which will lead to Coby taking the Fleet Admiral spot in a 30-year flashforward.

Nah. Helmempo is gonna be Fleet Admiral while Vice Admiral Coby continues to chase the Pirate King around.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lol if anyone thinks Luffy isn't gonna die right after achieving his goal from overusing Gears

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bleck posted:

Bleach's Wandenreich

Yep. A whole bunch of Quincies, most of which don't use bows (despite Uryu's previous authoritative-sounding claims that he's the last Quincy and Quincies only use bows), who were watching the protagonists all along from the shadow dimension just off-panel.

And then in the Burn the Witch one-shot we get a second Soul Society in London that apparently did nothing when the Quincies invaded the Japanese Soul Society despite the Quincies being threats to reality as we know it. (To be fair, the LN released after the manga ended suggests that the Quincies destroying reality as we know it might actually have been a good thing, but it's still weird that there's no mention of the other Soul Society refusing to help.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RatHat posted:

lol if anyone thinks Luffy isn't gonna die right after achieving his goal from overusing Gears

That will be what Rogers mystery disease was but chopper will cure him as part of his dream

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
drat Luffy got down to floor 6 of Impel Down just a second too late. Ivankov and Bon Clay own so much drat. It has been to see Bon Clay come back. Although they did just free Croc which...I’m not excited to see back. Also Luffy going to Navy Headquarters for what seems like a crazy clash with Dragon, Whitebeard, the warlords, the straw hats...this is going to be nuts. How does this series continue to top itself drat

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kashuno posted:

drat Luffy got down to floor 6 of Impel Down just a second too late. Ivankov and Bon Clay own so much drat. It has been to see Bon Clay come back. Although they did just free Croc which...I’m not excited to see back. Also Luffy going to Navy Headquarters for what seems like a crazy clash with Dragon, Whitebeard, the warlords, the straw hats...this is going to be nuts. How does this series continue to top itself drat

:getin:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
from the cosplay thread:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

True genius from everyone's favourite low-cost cosplay guy:

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/sZOQ5KR.jpg:nws:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Adventure! He hasn’t seen literally every island in the world yet.

Nami's dream is to map the entire world, wouldn't be surprised if Luffy would love to tag along for the ride.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

That will be what Rogers mystery disease was but chopper will cure him as part of his dream

rodger had his disease before he started his piracy career i think

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This arc is so incredibly good aaaaaa. It almost makes you not miss the rest of the crew when you’ve got Ivankov, Bon Clay, Croc, Buggy, and Mr 3 all doing their thing. Although...I thought there was a panel where they showed Nami? A while ago at this point tho. I thought it would be a long while until I saw Impel Down after the Eines Lobby arc but I’m glad they came here. This is so insane and just fun, even if there is no real fighting happening for a bit. Maybe they’ll actually save Ace!!

e; aaaaand here comes Blackbeard to the party

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
rumor has it the big hat will defeat kaido

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
impel down was the best arc for sure, hard to remember now that there were very few recurring characters up until then so it was just mindblowing. WBW makes no sense (every character in the manga meets on a dynasty warriors stage?) and is just kind of weird and gruesome with oars jr getting chopped up and dying for no reason and then ends bizarrely, like an avengers movie.

The impel down ending is so surprising and emotional it made the WBW thing that happens feel weird.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Marineford fuckin rules dude

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Huzzah! posted:

from the cosplay thread:

lmfao

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
holy poo poo I somehow forgot about Big Hat

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Huzzah! posted:

from the cosplay thread:

This the best OP cosplay I've ever seen

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

This the best OP cosplay I've ever seen

Once I finally stopped laughing, I saw it again, and then started laughing all over again. It’s a goddamn masterpiece.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Buggy went from a total chump to total champ. He’s got some Luffy level growth going on, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take up the warlord title after this Impel Down fiasco ends. No idea how they are going to deal with Blackbeard though. That vortex power seems like it will always own hard.

Also people keep talking about haki. Not sure what it is but it seems like a way to exert your will on whatever is around you? I don’t know what the gently caress will even happen if Dragon were to show up at this point. Where’s Mihawk anyway wasn’t he one of the warlords? Guess he’s probably at navy headquarters since it seems like Blackbeard is just on another backstabbing tour.

Also this Shiryu dude. It seems like leaving him to his own devices was a very super bad choice

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

"please use your incredible strength to bail us out and then quietly return to death row"

releasing shiryu was such a hilariously bad idea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Holy poo poo the eyes lmao

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Blockhouse posted:

holy poo poo I somehow forgot about Big Hat

how dare you

i wonder how it's doing since we last saw it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has the anime gotten to Big Hat yet?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I believe the anime will be starting the Reverie mini arc this week.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nah, they just begun the Reverie arc last episode, which was mostly reanimated flashbacks of luffy meeting shanks (and hey, they animated the bit where luffy gave himself the scar under his eye). Next week is gonna be something similar for Coby (Koby?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 813: "Tea Party Invitation"

Huh, I never thought about the fact that to get from North to East Blue, you'd need to cross the red line. Does that mean Sanji is a heavenly dragon?? Is EVERYONE a heavenly dragon??? How the gently caress can Capone turn into a loving tank? He ain't no Franky!

Uh ohhh, Chopper's in loooove~ Cat Viper loves lasagna? Is he fuckin Garfield? I love Chopper trying to wrangle Cat Viper. CV seems pretty rad in general.

Huh, Sanji's family are underworld killers? Aww, Law's crew were so excited but didn't get introduced! DISRESPECTED! Oh my god FRANKY'S HAIR IS A WHALE! I was sad early into the time skip because Franky lost his pompadour, but the variety of hairstyles has definitely made up for it. WE NEED TO MAKE SURE THE SAMURAI DONT ENTER THE zzzzzzzzzzz.

Oh my god, so Raizo WAS here the whole loving time???

Oh shiiiit, and Momo is ACTUALLY a lord! It wasn't just pretend! He's still a lil piece of poo poo though.

Haha everyone being disappointed by Raizo's looks is great. Ooh, a red poneglyph! Hahaha awww, Raizo showed off for them when they were all bummed out! That's real cute.

THEY KNOW HOW TO GET TO RAFTEL?? Oh, no, just to one of four points needed... Wait, if it's in the middle of four other locations, how is it the "final" island? Since there are other points after it... Well, I guess maybe those points don't necessarily need to be on land. Ohh, so Big Mom and Kaido have two of the other four... I'm guessing that means either Shanks or Blackbeard has the final one. Luffy's grumpy face when he hears he doesn't HAVE to steal the poneglyphs is the best thing. So Kaido is in Wano... Guess I know where the gang is headed after they get Sanji back! Oh gently caress, and Oden knew "the secret"!

Luffy DOESN'T want to go best up Kaido? Wtf. Aww, he just wanted Momo to rise up and say it! Oh no, Jack wants to kill the super old elephant!

Whoa, Cat and Dog were part of Roger's crew!! Cool! Wait, Brook was about to ask about Roger's doctor, Cro-something. Have we heard about him before? I don't remember... Oh, it's just Crocus. Marco! I didn't think we'd see him again! I guess we haven't yet, to be fair. They fought Blackbeard huh? The Grudge War...

The gently caress is this voice Momo and Luffy hear, anyways? Does it have to do with commander haki or whatever? Ohh, it's the elephant! God drat Zou just obliterated Jack. Is it one of the ancient weapons??? I can't imagine anything stopping Zou, I doubt even the marine's super island blitz thing could drop it.

So Pekoms is a turtle cat man? Talk about confusing! Ooh, Nami's new weapon is cool! Although aside from extending, I don't quite know how it's different from her last one. LUFFY JUST JUMPED OFF THE GODDAMN ELEPHANT. OH MY GOD AND NOW VIVI IS GOING BACK TO SEA? gently caress YES I DIDN'T THINK WE'D SEE HER AGAIN OUTSIDE OF COVER STORIES!