Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Fewd posted:

RE: on the subject of music in Kenshi

I've grown a liking for all sorts of dark ambient when playing Kenshi. Cryo Chamber in Bandcamp has some extremely my poo poo stuff for this purpose. The music just nails it down completely when you're walking around a broken world getting whipped by baka things. Some good ones to mention are stuff like Book of the Black Earth and nearly anything from Ugasanie (at least the ones released under Cryo Chamber), like White Silence and Border of Worlds

these are some good recs, my favourite ambient album is substrata by biosphere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3MBMim36E&t=910s

also im finna gently caress around and join the crab raiders. crab gang forever.

does anyone know how to train crossbows effectively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also im finna gently caress around and join the crab raiders. crab gang forever.

you have chosen wisely

also, for crossbows i think you just really need to give them toothpicks/junkbows and let them stand back and shoot into the melee crowd until they gain some skill with them, and more importantly in precision shooting (you really don't want your fighters getting blapped in the back with a wayward spring bat shot)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alternatively, training dummies for basically any stat and ability are available on the Workshop. They're a decent alternative at low skill levels.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

I think a crossbow and a pair of sandals is the best early game investment you can make. A shoddy Mk2 Oldworld bow or Eagle's Cross (if you start in a gnarly area that sells that kind of ordinance) will hit for 60-100 damage, and most things don't wear significant armor.

south of Gut is a place full of tech hunter/samurai towns, which is patrolled by Reavers. I've looted up to High oldworld bows from those guys!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

these are some good recs, my favourite ambient album is substrata by biosphere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3MBMim36E&t=910s

Mongrel is the best place to train crossbows. There is an unwalled section of town that overlooks a trail fogmen path through. Station who you on to train on "ranged" and "hold" and they'll take potshots at any fogmen pathing through. For added fun sometimes it pisses them off and then they charge the gate guards.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh man, I started for the first time, stole some stuff, got the poo poo kicked out of me, am now in prison in a restorative coma in fast forward waiting to lockpick my way out. I'm intrigued by this game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Benagain posted:

Oh man, I started for the first time, stole some stuff, got the poo poo kicked out of me, am now in prison in a restorative coma in fast forward waiting to lockpick my way out. I'm intrigued by this game.
Once you wake up, you can also just wait. The sentence for petty thievery tends to be around the order of 24-48 hours or so.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You can use the time to really grind lockpicking by hopping back into a cage once you're loose. I like to pretend every time the guard comes up to do something, I'm just lounging in a different cage, and he stares at me, shrugs, and goes back to his business. It's the kind of cheeky master thief gag like when someone goes "Just a moment, Officer, I thought you might want these back." and hands the cop his cuffs.

At one point I realized I needed to steal some more supplies while my thief was waiting off a jail sentence, so that night he picked his way out, stole an entire large backpack full of poo poo (and the backpack), dropped it around the side of the police station, and climbed back into his cage. Before that, during the same jail sentence, I broke out and broke out a Dust Bandit, then realized he was following me so we might as well actually break all the way out of jail. Led him back to my base and he joined up, still named Dust Bandit. Now I'm wandering all over the place with him in my combat party because I can't remember where any of the plastic surgeons are.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Every Shinobi tower has a plastic surgeon, though you have to be a member to make use of them

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

Every Shinobi tower has a plastic surgeon, though you have to be a member to make use of them

Every Shinobi tower in the UC has a dead plastic surgeon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wait, plastic surgeons can change names?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, it basically just pops up the character creation screen

e: one of my strongest recruits ever was a Band of Bones guy who had invaded my base, got his rear end kicked, got picked up by slavers whose asses I also kicked shortly thereafter, then was eternally grateful to me for liberating him. I renamed him from "Band of Bones" to "Bob" because I'm super uncreative

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 2, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Donkringel posted:

Mongrel is the best place to train crossbows. There is an unwalled section of town that overlooks a trail fogmen path through. Station who you on to train on "ranged" and "hold" and they'll take potshots at any fogmen pathing through. For added fun sometimes it pisses them off and then they charge the gate guards.
Training crossbows, needed but not really the thing holding you back from the crazy good bows.

Training precision shooting, important and best way to do it is to just get into proper staged fights with your bow guys in a ball shooting themselves and your guys in melee.

Once you got precision shooting your next hurdle is actually finding or making enough of the crazy size bolts.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Typically toothpicks are what you want anyway, because toothpicks firing into guys staggers them and staggered guys don't fight back.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, it basically just pops up the character creation screen

e: one of my strongest recruits ever was a Band of Bones guy who had invaded my base, got his rear end kicked, got picked up by slavers whose asses I also kicked shortly thereafter, then was eternally grateful to me for liberating him. I renamed him from "Band of Bones" to "Bob" because I'm super uncreative

Honestly, I can't fathom what else you could name him.

Also the base had to be abandoned, no individual raid was able to do too much damage but boy howdy do I have a new appreciation for the power of attrition. We slinked back to the Hub in shame, but at least we've got a decent chunk of change.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
If I wanted to start small fights and raids by the Holy nation without immediately escalating to an all out holy war what would I need to do? I've built a sizeable and decently well defended base in the 'rainbow valley' on the border of Vain and the Border Lands. I was thinking I'd plop a watch tower in the HN farmlands and tell them to screw off when they came to bug me about Jesus (which they don't do now), hopefully offending them enough to come after my primary town. Will that work or is there a better path?

I know I can capture some of their leaders but it sounds like that triggers an event I'm nowhere near prepared for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DONT DO IT posted:

I was thinking I'd plop a watch tower in the HN farmlands and tell them to screw off when they came to bug me about Jesus (which they don't do now), hopefully offending them enough to come after my primary town. Will that work or is there a better path?
Kill a patrol or two. Assault the gates of a city, then pull back. All of these will make a faction more hostile to you without affecting the worldstate as a whole the way abducting a nation's leaders does. It just makes them pissed at you personally. It doesn't take much to get it started, -20 to -30 should be enough for starting raids.

You can look up your own popularity with all factions you have had contact with in the Factions tab of the player menu. It's hard to predict where the AI will decide to strike, though. Fair warning.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DONT DO IT posted:

If I wanted to start small fights and raids by the Holy nation without immediately escalating to an all out holy war what would I need to do? I've built a sizeable and decently well defended base in the 'rainbow valley' on the border of Vain and the Border Lands. I was thinking I'd plop a watch tower in the HN farmlands and tell them to screw off when they came to bug me about Jesus (which they don't do now), hopefully offending them enough to come after my primary town. Will that work or is there a better path?

I know I can capture some of their leaders but it sounds like that triggers an event I'm nowhere near prepared for.

They will absolutely get pissed and send a crew to beat your rear end if you tell them to gently caress off on prayer day. You will lose probably, but they don't take slaves or really anything at all so it's fine as long are you are careful and don't let people die.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you just want regular raids in general, with no particular preference in who comes after you, the settle near cannibal country. I like to go to the Northern Coast. Cannibals are kind of wimpy, but they love coming in huge groups. It's satisfying to mow them down with a battery of harpoon turrets.

It also has the advantage of being really close to World's End, which is one of the best towns to have nearby.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hello i got this the other day and my guy has become a master at ninja running cross country
now... i want to use my theft money to buy heaps of crabs and win some fights

where do i buy crabs? can you talk to crab raiders?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Play it vanilla for a while then start adding mods. The game has a very specific balance and pacing with vanilla and you should experience that at least once

otoh there's no reason for blood spiders to have the attack range that they do

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

If you just want regular raids in general, with no particular preference in who comes after you, the settle near cannibal country. I like to go to the Northern Coast. Cannibals are kind of wimpy, but they love coming in huge groups. It's satisfying to mow them down with a battery of harpoon turrets.

It also has the advantage of being really close to World's End, which is one of the best towns to have nearby.

Oh I definitely want to take on the Holy Nation. My 'goal' is to remove them and the UC if I end up playing that long.

I don't know why I didn't think about attacking a few patrols.. I'll do that. I've got a sizeable group of competent fighters so a few raids I can take. If anything it will expose holes in my defenses.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Oh I definitely want to take on the Holy Nation. My 'goal' is to remove them and the UC if I end up playing that long.
Well, godspeed with that goal. Might take you a while, they cover a good quarter of the ~940 square kilometer game world when added together.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.
average HN patrol is still a decent step up from dust bandits or reaver groups. They can do some damage before you take them down.

Was out exploring the SE corner where there's like 15 ruins/armory/labs located using a 6 man group and 4 elder packbulls and 2 elder garru. Cleared out the whole area and snagged 30-40 ancient books, 5 AI cores and shitload of decent loots. Figured I'd cut back through the crater on my way to the southlands to unload everything (and maybe loot the few extra ruins located inside the crater). JFC ... the beak things don't stop coming.

Tried sneaking/outrunning for a bit but finally ended up engaging a couple. Felt pretty good about taking them out easily enough, then 2 more show up, then 3 more, then 2 more, then 4 more. Finally manage to disengage long enough to get up onto the nearby ruin (which for some reason the beakthings won't climb up on) and spent 3 full days recouping health and dumped 4 full backpacks worth of crossbow bolts into the constant onslaught of beak things. Kept using a quick runner to go down and grab the meat for my guys and the pack beasts to stay alive. Eventually had everyone healed up enough to just try to hoof it out. Engaged a couple straggler groups but finally got out of the drat crater.

Was never so happy to hit the swamp and have to deal with only blood spiders....

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, godspeed with that goal. Might take you a while, they cover a good quarter of the ~940 square kilometer game world when added together.

I may have to settle on just capturing the UC nobility and letting the faction fall into chaos. I've already robbed one of them. Gotta collect those bitchin clothes

HN must die though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

wolfs posted:

hello i got this the other day and my guy has become a master at ninja running cross country
now... i want to use my theft money to buy heaps of crabs and win some fights

where do i buy crabs? can you talk to crab raiders?

Some of the outlying Crab villages may attack you but if you go to the main Crab town you can talk to the head weirdo and then be able to buy crabs.
On the map its on the East coast in what looks like a swampy area but is actually more Grand Canyon like.

I think the Crater is one of the most dangerous areas with the shitloads of beak things.
I never understood their AOE.
Its like they have grenades on a stick and just keep hitting you with it.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 2, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Limped into Squin with a half-dead party, put everyone to bed. In the morning we went to start trading but suddenly all the Shek Kingdom members were hostile to us and beat the poo poo out of us. Okay, I figure, I accidentally lifted something or had forgotten about a prior crime or something. Anyway, after prison (We were only put in for assault, but we only had the assault bounties because we were attacked, fuckin pigs lmao) I headed up to a Hive village in Vain because someone needed an arm and someone's leg needed maintainance, but on arriving... the village turned hostile. Like in Squin they didn't start that way, they turned after I'd been there for a moment. We had to bail and ran straight into a fuckload of Baka Things and most of my party got eaten.

This is fine because it gives the survivors a motive to get swole, but I am a bit baffled as to the causes. Now we're back in The Hub and seem fine so far? I checked the faction standings and the Shek Kingdom is 10 with me, the Western Hive -1, so :iiam:

Probably some mod I've got is loving with things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Are you wearing anything that might count as being disguised as a hostile faction? Bandit gear of some sort, maybe? 'cause that happens.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

You have to separate your guys to fight beak things

One extremely strong guy will perform much better against five beak things than that guy plus three others because of blocking mechanics

If none of your guys are strong enough to fight five beak things at once by themselves then you are indeed completely hosed

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ms Adequate posted:

Limped into Squin with a half-dead party, put everyone to bed. In the morning we went to start trading but suddenly all the Shek Kingdom members were hostile to us and beat the poo poo out of us. Okay, I figure, I accidentally lifted something or had forgotten about a prior crime or something. Anyway, after prison (We were only put in for assault, but we only had the assault bounties because we were attacked, fuckin pigs lmao) I headed up to a Hive village in Vain because someone needed an arm and someone's leg needed maintainance, but on arriving... the village turned hostile. Like in Squin they didn't start that way, they turned after I'd been there for a moment. We had to bail and ran straight into a fuckload of Baka Things and most of my party got eaten.

This is fine because it gives the survivors a motive to get swole, but I am a bit baffled as to the causes. Now we're back in The Hub and seem fine so far? I checked the faction standings and the Shek Kingdom is 10 with me, the Western Hive -1, so :iiam:

You're most likely wearing Holy Nation gear

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you wearing anything that might count as being disguised as a hostile faction? Bandit gear of some sort, maybe? 'cause that happens.

gently caress that was probably it, I had just completed a big campaign of kicking bandit asses all across the Border Zone :doh:

e; ^^^ Oh poo poo yeah that actually WAS it, I kitted some new recruit out in a bunch of HN gear I had

man I am one dumb bitch

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

e; ^^^ Oh poo poo yeah that actually WAS it, I kitted some new recruit out in a bunch of HN gear I had

man I am one dumb bitch
:v: Not as dumb as when I power-leveled Assassination and Stealth by mugging ninjas in World's End and then had the brilliant thought "Man, what a haul, this sounds like a great time to visit the merchant. :downs:"

And that's how I learned that yes, factions do notice it when you're impersonating their law enforcement.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The disguise mechanic is very seldom used, and seems primarily to serve more as a method of penalizing you for looting enemies to ensure you can't get too well equipped too quickly than anything else

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blade Runner posted:

The disguise mechanic is very seldom used, and seems primarily to serve more as a method of penalizing you for looting enemies to ensure you can't get too well equipped too quickly than anything else
Supposedly, it lets you interact with factions that are hostile to you, but only if you're dressing up as another faction that they're friendly towards, because they recognize their own troops. I think it's also supposed to let you do "false flag" style raids on factions that don't give you a bounty? Not certain about that.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

Supposedly, it lets you interact with factions that are hostile to you, but only if you're dressing up as another faction that they're friendly towards, because they recognize their own troops. I think it's also supposed to let you do "false flag" style raids on factions that don't give you a bounty? Not certain about that.

The primary issue with that is that there just aren't enough alliances in the game for that to really be very workable for the vast majority of situations

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The wiki says just "friendly," not allied, so I'm assuming any relationship above 0 would work for this. I haven't really tested it, though - the only time I go permanently hostile to a nation is when I want to be hostile to them, so no point in playing dress-up.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Also I think the Western Hive gets pissy if you have hivers with you since almost all them are expelled from the Western Hive.

Also set limb loss to frequent and...

Yeah half my team lost limbs in a battle with the Holy Nation. At least now we will look like Skeletons to them.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 2, 2019

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
I never thought being a slave could be so much fun.

Pretty new to the game and I've spent the majority of this current playthrough wreaking havoc on this starting encampment; gradually trained up my ninja skills and have now been systematically KOing the town guards and placing them in cages for their own brethren to enslave. I've also been habitually freeing as many other prisoners as I can for nightly riots before smugly hopping back into a prison.
I'm wondering actually what happens to all the other prisoners I've previously freed who seem to now be working in unison with me, without my direct control? Do they join my squad when I eventually get bored of torturing the guards here, or will they wonder off?
I'm not sure the ai was intended to stick around and act like a total rear end in a top hat like I have though, everybody's habitually breaking out of their cages and getting hacked down over and over again. Wherever I slink at night a staggering trail of limbless people slowly and clumsily congregate.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

w0o0o0o posted:

Do they join my squad when I eventually get bored of torturing the guards here, or will they wonder off?
I'm not sure the ai was intended to stick around and act like a total rear end in a top hat like I have though, everybody's habitually breaking out of their cages and getting hacked down over and over again. Wherever I slink at night a staggering trail of limbless people slowly and clumsily congregate.

I went to bed with the game on once and got to day like...130 in the slaver start, and everyone I freed before that point wound up dead when I woke up. Freeing them once will do some Detroit Become Human poo poo where they will suddenly realize they have the capability to escape and will no longer do the "Obedient Slave" job and will instead do nothing but attempt to escape forever until they eventually die from removing their own shackles and not being processed as a prisoner by the guards, who in turn will not heal them. As soon as a prisoner regains consciousness, they will fight anyone, pick any lock, escape any cage, do whatever it takes to try and do whatever it was their AI did when you freed them - some will run away with no goal in mind and others will try and walk up beside you, even as you do slave labor.

The prison AI is very funny as a whole, especially if you put shackles on guards, they'll have a 50/50 chance of being mistaken by another guard for a slave and then they'll join you in prison. Unfortunately, I've never had one of those people join me after freeing them as a way to get recruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I've been playing this game A loving LOT since the 1.0 release and it's great.

I just joined the skeleton raiders and I guess when you do they send a pack of their foot soldiers to follow you(happened with the anti-slavers too).

This time their leader, Elder, came along, and it turns out he's a p chill dude if you can look past all the brainwashing he does in his day job.