Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

if you're an investor then it's precisely your money being pissed down the tubes

I was referring to Polian and Ebersol, who afaik did not throw in a ton of money, and in turn it was probably real easy for them to be like "see tom, all you gotta do is dump in $250 million over the next 3 years and then hopefully, ideally, the NFLPA will finally want to partner and we can maybe potentially start making some of it back"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Aye Doc posted:

now of course, that's a very easy bet to make when it isn't your 10 million dollars a week being pissed down the tubes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/02/22/aaf-pro-football-league-alliance-american-football/2938287002/

quote:

League co-founder Charlie Ebersol told USA TODAY Sports before the season that “you’re going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars before you get to profitability” when launching a new pro football league, because of all the upfront expenses.

"It's going to cost money to get it there, but it's a better investment than most in terms of venture capital,” Dundon said.

Doudon signed up to piss money away in hopes he'd see profitability.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Weird thing is this article came after Dundon had already bailed them out

Like, did they launch with no investors at all?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

going off of this,

quote:

Do the math. After getting a new $250 million commitment this week, the new Alliance of American Football isn’t going away for a while, if it ever leaves.

Just ask the guy who is making that investment – Tom Dundon, the billionaire investor and owner of NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes. Even with the expected bumps that come with a startup pro football league, how much time does that buy?

“Five years, something like that," Dundon told USA TODAY Sports Thursday.

250m was going to last them 5 years but now we find out Dundon lost 70m in like 6 weeks? sounds like someone probably got some math wrong somewhere along the way

e:

wyoak posted:

there were rumors an investor had dropped out shortly before Dundon came in to invest. maybe they too saw that the league was violently hemorrhaging money beyond projections and wanted to bail

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wyoak posted:

To get out a year ahead of the XFL

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

250m was going to last them 5 years but now we find out Dundon lost 70m in like 6 weeks? sounds like someone probably got some math wrong somewhere along the way

he may have, uh, been lying.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Aye Doc posted:

going off of this,

e:

there were rumors an investor had dropped out shortly before Dundon came in to invest. maybe they too saw that the league was violently hemorrhaging money beyond projections and wanted to bail

Increased revenues over the years from the fanbase, ads and gambling picked up. It's not going to be violent hemorrhaging then suddenly profit.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's the logos. They just weren't tight enough.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
They should've had enough to run for at least three seasons at a heavy loss. I realize it's hard to obtain that kind of dollars but this is what happens when you go off half-cocked. Investors who can't stick with it for even three quarters of a season and an enormous, pointless loss at the end of it all.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

SHOAH NUFF posted:

There are none even on eBay? Every other teams are in stock. Come on

Well I don’t think any other team had someone rocking that headband like that. Give them a few weeks to contact China and make some more you’ll have one soon enough.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I mean it makes sense why that one female coach from Birmingham jumped ship to the Bucs mid season.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I doubt she would have turned that down to stay in the AAF

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Don't let the AAF folding distract that you from the fact that the AFC East has remained actively uncompetitive against the Patriots for 20 years

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BrownThunder posted:

Don't let the AAF folding distract that you from the fact that the AFC East has remained actively uncompetitive against the Patriots for 20 years

thats not true the non-patriots teams have won the current version of the AFC east twice in that timespan

not just once, but twice! so competitive!

(the dolphins won it in 2000 and the colts in 1999 but that doesn't really count)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Speaking of the only AFCE team to ever challenge the Pats I still can’t believe Rex Ryan has a sexy tattoo of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey. That may be the single most funny and unbelievable piece of NFL news I’ve heard

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Speaking of the only AFCE team to ever challenge the Pats I still can’t believe Rex Ryan has a sexy tattoo of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey. That may be the single most funny and unbelievable piece of NFL news I’ve heard

You know what, at least he's committed to his wife. And her feet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pnumoman posted:

You know what, at least he's committed to his wife. And her feet.

yeah its somewhat sweet that his sex scandal was being too into his wife instead of...whatever it was that Schiano did that we haven't heard about yet

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SHOAH NUFF posted:

"Sexy" is pushing it for sure but yeah. Is his wife missing her left hand in real life or is that just a badly drawn tattoo?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I bet Rex and his wife have buttfumbled in the bedroom.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Play posted:

"Sexy" is pushing it for sure but yeah. Is his wife missing her left hand in real life or is that just a badly drawn tattoo?
Look man I can draw chicks, but not hands. You good?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mega64 posted:

I bet Rex and his wife have buttfumbled in the bedroom.

They definitely have 7-9ed

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

They definitely have 7-9ed

6-9-1

Leave room for Jesus

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

waah posted:

Look man I can draw chicks, but not hands. You good?

Bizarro Rob Liefeld

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pro Click listen of Rand Getlin talking about the business of NFL insiders. Long episode but worth it. Calls RapSheet and NFL Network “State TV” trafficking in anti-player news.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1113068677757308928

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

PLEASE tell me these are real hahahahaha

https://twitter.com/andrewdefrank/status/1113433603713785857?s=20

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Yuck lmao

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ugly unis for an ugly team IMO

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Jets have such a great color scheme and great old uniforms, why not go back to those

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
That looks proundly awful

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Did the whole team fall into the same ooze as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These look like college uniforms.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Maybe it's a fake leak designed to improve the reception the actual new uniforms receive.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

BrownThunder posted:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
drat those are bad. And they already had bad uniforms.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

SKULL.GIF posted:

These look like college uniforms.

I can't verbalize why, but this was my first thought as well.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

They look like lovely versions of Saskatchewan Roughrider uniforms, down to the black alternate

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I thought the AAF was folding

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

I thought the AAF was folding

The AAF has better unis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

I love how they have the obligatory all-black jersey even though they wear green and white. Real original there.
I would need a clearer look at them to be sure, but they definitely look like a downgrade.