Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

just make every army be a different flavor of orks bada bing bing bong so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Desiden posted:

Over on the Age of Sigmar side, grog tears have been pouring for a while now over the stormcast having gurlz, despite there never really being any lore to suggest they wouldn't. Fortunately, there seems to be an equal number of people who like that aspect, and a larger contingent than both that don't really give a poo poo either way.

The Stormcast were extremely obviously meant to be Fantasy Space Marines at least.

I do hear that they're trying to make Age of Sigmar into an actual setting, though I dunno how they'd make it remotely interesting unless they just retconned away the whole thing and took it back to the Old World plus the new soulstealing sea elves. And Stormcast are... there.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

jakodee posted:

They aren’t really though? They’re just making the setting less concerned with being serious and more with being funny. They certainly aren’t satirizing Thatcherism in 2019.
Planetary Governor Mayus is calling for a 41st vote on the proposal that Hive World Brexitus immediately secede from the Imperium, despite the previous 40 votes having been defeated and the Hive World importing over 99% of its food from nearby Imperial agriworlds, and producing nothing but lasgun powerpacks for a model rendered obsolete in M35.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Planetary Governor Mayus is calling for a 41st vote on the proposal that Hive World Brexitus immediately secede from the Imperium, despite the previous 40 votes having been defeated and the Hive World importing over 99% of its food from nearby Imperial agriworlds, and producing nothing but lasgun powerpacks for a model rendered obsolete in M35.

Hivexit means Hivexit

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Ok this actually is satire. And I’m happy to see it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Brexitus should be something that's been going on for like 5000 years and they keep just passing extensions and debating the issue over generations

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Brexitus should be something that's been going on for like 5000 years and they keep just passing extensions and debating the issue over generations

Eternally must the sanctum of psykers vote no on each and every measure. The emperor keeps offering or promising or threatening to retire and no one can tell if it's a good or bad thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Eternally must the sanctum of psykers vote no on each and every measure. The emperor keeps offering or promising or threatening to retire and no one can tell if it's a good or bad thing.

Oh poo poo maybe this is why the Emperor is kept alive, because letting him die would violate quorum

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh poo poo maybe this is why the Emperor is kept alive, because letting him die would violate quorum
If he dies there's a general election. Chaos might win - and that would be acceptable - but it is also possible that Labour would win, and THAT is unthinkable.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Nessus posted:

If he dies there's a general election. Chaos might win - and that would be acceptable - but it is also possible that Labour would win, and THAT is unthinkable.

I thought the problem was voting for Chaos AND Ed Milliband, not Chaos OR Ed Milliband.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Lemon-Lime posted:

John Wick just announced that he'll be announcing a publisher for 7th Sea (including Khitai) on the 1st of April. :laffo:

It's Chaosium.

John Wick posted:

As of April 2, Chaosium, publishers of the award-winning tabletop roleplaying games Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, and King Arthur Pendragon, has acquired the rights to 7th Sea. I'm joining Chaosium as line editor and will continue to have creative oversight of the game, and will remain a principal author of 7th Sea material going forward. Beyond that, I'll also be writing for other Chaosium game lines.

Upon acquiring this new game line, our paramount objective is the fulfilment of the outstanding rewards from the 7th Sea and Khatai Kickstarters. Chaosium and I are talking about the best way to do that. Over coming weeks, 7th Sea products and content will begin to migrated to Chaosium.com and Chaosium’s page at DriveThruRPG. A 7th Sea discussion board will also be set up at BRP Central, Chaosium’s forums.

All the 7th Sea product and merchandise are moving to Chaosium's warehouses and shippers, but that will take some time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Interesting. Think they can foist someone on him to actually write working rules to go with his worldbuilding?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wizzardstaff posted:

It's Chaosium.

Huh, didn't expect that, but Chaosium has always been a solid publisher, good get to bail him out.

Also 'acquired the rights' isn't what I thought this was to begin with, doesn't that mean it's now their product?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Liquid Communism posted:

Interesting. Think they can foist someone on him to actually write working rules to go with his worldbuilding?

Haha lol

My hope is that he doesn't do too much damage to CoC and RQ. I've really been enjoying the new versions of them, I don't need large sections about how if the players forget that Glorantha is a cube and not round Orlanth should appear and slay the PCs

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Oh man chaosium is one of my favorite companies. I hope this doesn't end up being a bad play.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chaosium is a loving swerve but...y'know what, sure, let's see where this goes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, I am really surprised, but it far from the worst outcome. It does make some sense. Chaosium does need something fresh and new, and now John Wick can be fired if he can't get the work done.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sexpig by night posted:

Huh, didn't expect that, but Chaosium has always been a solid publisher, good get to bail him out.
Chaosium has actually had a very bumpy history as a publisher, including several near bankruptcies. They're on pretty solid footing right now, though (one of their former 1980s teenage interns went on to co-found LinkedIn, so they have access to capital if they need it).

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Chaosium does need something fresh and new, and now John Wick can be fired if he can't get the work done.
Not sure a game world that first started being published twenty years ago counts as fresh and new.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

brb, hunting down the guy who wrote spellbound kingdoms

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Haystack posted:

brb, hunting down the guy who wrote spellbound kingdoms

When you find him, tell him to not abandon his dang kickstarters.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

FMguru posted:

Not sure a game world that first started being published twenty years ago counts as fresh and new.

This is fair. I am honestly surprised that they do anything other than just grind out Cthullu editions every few years that all seem the same to me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FMguru posted:

Look, in a world where the ancient, greybearded D&D reigns, even an old game feels like a young swinger.

But it is at least significantly different from the original game, and largely swerves off in its own direction in the supplements.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is fair. I am honestly surprised that they do anything other than just grind out Cthullu editions every few years that all seem the same to me.

That's what they did from like the late 90s until a couple years ago

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FMguru posted:

Chaosium has actually had a very bumpy history as a publisher, including several near bankruptcies. They're on pretty solid footing right now, though (one of their former 1980s teenage interns went on to co-found LinkedIn, so they have access to capital if they need it).

Wasn't Chaosium on death's door like three years ago? I remember the 7th edition Call of Cthulhu mess nearly ruined them.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

moths posted:

Wasn't Chaosium on death's door like three years ago? I remember the 7th edition Call of Cthulhu mess nearly ruined them.

Greg Stafford and Sandy Petersen returned to reorganize after the CoC 7e ks failures. They merged Chaosium with Moon Design Publications, the people who were running Glorantha and did all the Guide and HeroQuest stuff, who ultimately took control of the company. They've been well managed and stable since then.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

After years of mismanagement by Charlie Krank, the 7e kickstarter was really the log that broke Chaosium's back. The company was going to go under, so Moon Design was offered the opportunity to buy their way onto the board, and take over management of company. It's worked out nicely, since the new management all has actual real-life business experience.

I'm not too terribly surprised that they were the ones to snag 7th Sea, since John Wick is on very good terms with them. I just hope they manage it well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I guess I was confusing 'publisher I like' with 'solid publisher', completely forgot Krank was running them into the dirt just a few years ago

Warthur
May 2, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Particularly since the current regime at Chaosium were specifically parachuted in to fix the running sores which were the Horror On the Orient Express and Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarters, so they've got past form in turning this sort of ship around.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Haystack posted:

After years of mismanagement by Charlie Krank, the 7e kickstarter was really the log that broke Chaosium's back. The company was going to go under, so Moon Design was offered the opportunity to buy their way onto the board, and take over management of company. It's worked out nicely, since the new management all has actual real-life business experience.
If anyone wants a deep dive on how this all went down I did a big ol' post picking apart from a Kickstarter backer's-eye-view here but yeah, the short version is that Chaosium was an industry leader back in the golden age, was wobbly under Lynn Willis and Charlie Krank from the mid-1990s onwards, and then got into serious poo poo after Lynn Willis died. It got saved thanks in part to the way the company was originally set up allowing Stafford and Petersen to step in and overrule Krank once it became clear that Krank needed to go.

Lightning Lord posted:

Haha lol

My hope is that he doesn't do too much damage to CoC and RQ. I've really been enjoying the new versions of them, I don't need large sections about how if the players forget that Glorantha is a cube and not round Orlanth should appear and slay the PCs
I suspect that, at least for the immediate future, Wick will be shut in a cupboard and not let out until he's done all the writing that's due on 7th Sea.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Warthur posted:

I suspect that, at least for the immediate future, Wick will be shut in a cupboard and not let out until he's done all the writing that's due on 7th Sea.

He's apparently also working on some Pendragon and Runequest stuff, according to Chaosium's creative director. Scenarios, hopefully.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Haystack posted:

He's apparently also working on some Pendragon and Runequest stuff, according to Chaosium's creative director. Scenarios, hopefully.

I mean, there's not a lot else to be worked on for Pendragon except maybe updating some of the older rules to the latest edition.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lightning Lord posted:

Greg Stafford and Sandy Petersen returned to reorganize after the CoC 7e ks failures. They merged Chaosium with Moon Design Publications, the people who were running Glorantha and did all the Guide and HeroQuest stuff, who ultimately took control of the company. They've been well managed and stable since then.

One hopes their first step would be to charge a fair price for the product, which would have solved like all of Wick's problems originally.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I asked about this a few days ago in the chat thread but I'm still thinking about it now: after the DMs Guild ended up being popular some other companies said they planned to do something similar. Did any of those ever materialize? I remember news about a Black Dog-content thing for World of Darkness fan material. I think Wick wanted to do one for 7th Sea too?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Last I checked, the WoD thing was a dumpster fire, but so is everything that they were vaguely involved in then, this was before they yanked Swede-Dracula's choke-chain and made him stop (at least publicly in their name) being an overt fascist edgelord*.

*Note : I have been avoiding this poo poo hard so he might have somehow gotten worse. Willing to bet he didn't get any better, but not willing to go against the idea that he now has a Patreon for "EdgeWoDxXx : Gypsies : Publicly talk about gassing them but hide under the table if they come to the door cause minorities are scary"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Chaosium runs a DM's Guild thing for Call of Cthulhu called The Miskatonic Repository.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/cc/16/Miskatonic

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know there was one for Unknown Armies, and Torg Eternity has one too.

Fun fact: you can remove the end of the URL FMGuru posted, just put in a number, and go through them all that way

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I asked about this a few days ago in the chat thread but I'm still thinking about it now: after the DMs Guild ended up being popular some other companies said they planned to do something similar. Did any of those ever materialize? I remember news about a Black Dog-content thing for World of Darkness fan material. I think Wick wanted to do one for 7th Sea too?

The Storyteller's Vault has a good amount of resources for making your own fan content for gamelines (within certain restrictions).

Each game line has template files for Indesign and Word, numerous art packs and the fonts, and style guides for writing for a particular edition.

For example I have written a CofD scenario, and will be releasing a CtL setting book for 1e.

https://www.storytellersvault.com/product/263781/The-Hunger-Within?src=hottest_filtered&filters=0_45760_0_0_0_0

This is now finally released too https://www.storytellersvault.com/product/271688/Venice-Unmasked

dr_ether fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 3, 2019

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
there was a 7th sea one. I don't know how the Chaosium acquisition is going to handle the content that was released under it. Most of it was not actually very good but there were one or two things that were excellent, including a patch to how Corruption works.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

Xiahou Dun posted:

Last I checked, the WoD thing was a dumpster fire, but so is everything that they were vaguely involved in then, this was before they yanked Swede-Dracula's choke-chain and made him stop (at least publicly in their name) being an overt fascist edgelord*.

*Note : I have been avoiding this poo poo hard so he might have somehow gotten worse. Willing to bet he didn't get any better, but not willing to go against the idea that he now has a Patreon for "EdgeWoDxXx : Gypsies : Publicly talk about gassing them but hide under the table if they come to the door cause minorities are scary"

As mentioned there're quite a few of them at this point. And, frankly, they're not all that bad, mostly because they're largely deserted. I think the Storytellers Vault is probably a very distant second to the DMs Guild in terms of activity and product, and there's probably fewer than a hundred actual, unique community content products on there that aren't MrGone's character sheet reposts.

One thing that sets Storytellers Vault apart is that all of their template file downloads are some kind of mess, and so are many of their art asset packs. The older ones are typically worse, but even templates for stuff from the past few years has duplicated assets that double the size of what should just be 80MB downloads. The older art packs contain tons of 30-50MB+ pictures that are duplicated, sometimes more than once, so you're struggling to download ~700MB from DTRPG's servers to end up with ~250MB of content. The nMage Tarot download contains a full duplicate of itself inside…itself, so it's literally twice as big as it should be. They hosed up one of the core nWoD templates—I think specifically the ChroD template—and when they "fixed" it they hosed up something else so you have to download both the old version and the new version, which at least were both helpfully available, and you had to merge the two to get what you were supposed to have.

So I wouldn't call it a "dumpster fire" but it's not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Xiahou Dun posted:

Less specific to the Storyteller's Vault, but AFAICT they're not letting him do or say much of anything publicly anymore. I've seen conflicting reports as to if he's even still part of the team.

Modiphius is handling all the publishing side of things now, and part of that arrangement was that the dumbassery of the camarilla and anarch books would be only released to fulfill preorder commitments (and even then, cutting the stupid Chechnya bits), after which they weren't going to sell them in either physical or digital form. As far as I know, that hasn't changed. The next releases are supposed to be a campaign guide about London that uses some of the V5 stuff (the second inquisition) and a player's guide that's about "playing the vampire you want" and all but outright states "here's how you jettison all the stupid but keep the mechanics that are better".

So, no idea if the new books will stop being poo poo, but they seem to be doing as much as possible to scrub out the specific 90s-nostalgic edgelordism out. With the official announcement of bloodlines 2, my guess is they're sincere about it, if not because it was stupid then just because they now have an actual product worth some money in the pipeline and don't want bad larper ideas to gently caress up their revenue stream.