Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I dunno, mashing little key tittys might be fine. maybe it will be even better and we will look back and laugh at those plebs with hard keys who haven't experienced the soft cushiony embrace of the Apple TypeScreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Has anyone said Reality Distortion Field yet

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

hatty posted:

Just build a normal gaming PC. You can make it small(not as small as the mini of course) and also have a GPU worth a poo poo for around the same price as a mini. Also gaming on macos isn't great.

The problem prompting to buy new hardware is that my only current Mac is too old for Mojave. I don’t really need a notebook these days, so I was thinking of buying a desktop Mac, and VNCing in from an iPad if I hit some edge case that iOS can’t handle while I’m on the go. Add on an eGPU and TB3 SSD enclosure for Windows and presto, the most obtuse computing experience imaginable.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Roadie posted:

Take that and swap the floppy for an EGPU and you have a product that (as long as it was priced under $500) I think a lot of people would actually consider buying. All the current EGPUs suffer some combination of taking up a lot of desk space, being absurdly expensive even empty, or for some stupid reason sharing a single Thunderbolt controller for the graphics card and the USB ports so you can't actually use the ports in the box without everything stuttering constantly.

I’m surprised there isn’t a middle ground with eGPUs. When the new Mac mini came out I was looking for a smaller eGPU enclosure that could take a laptop card, similar to what the iMac uses. It’s just odd that your choice with a Mac mini is integrated graphics or fuckoff huge enclosure.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Has anyone said Reality Distortion Field yet

Steve Jobs took that to his grave with him.

I think the last thing he used it on were those mice you had to flip upside down to charge.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The mouse thing was silly from both sides. Apple, why didn't you just put the charge port on the front, and users, why didn't you understand that charging the mouse was as easy as flipping it over and charging it overnight the day you got the low battery warning?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you look at the design of the Magic Mouse you'll easily see that it's not really practical to put a charging port on either the front or back of the device. Since they were already retooling the machine mold for the bottom of the device to remove the battery compartment, adding the port there was the easiest solution. This also means that once every month you have to lay your mouse on the side while it charges for approximately 20 minutes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I’m surprised there isn’t a middle ground with eGPUs. When the new Mac mini came out I was looking for a smaller eGPU enclosure that could take a laptop card, similar to what the iMac uses. It’s just odd that your choice with a Mac mini is integrated graphics or fuckoff huge enclosure.
There’s a few smaller/short card enclosures at least but nothing super great last I checked. Smaller than that I think there’s two integrated GPU ones, kinda curious if anyone has torn them down now. Probably just soldered on but could be a chance there’s an MXM card.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

American McGay posted:

If you look at the design of the Magic Mouse you'll easily see that it's not really practical to put a charging port on either the front or back of the device. Since they were already retooling the machine mold for the bottom of the device to remove the battery compartment, adding the port there was the easiest solution. This also means that once every month you have to lay your mouse on the side while it charges for approximately 20 minutes.

ah yes.. the reason people pay a premium for apple products. not because of a functional or aesthetic reason but because it helped save apple 5 cents per mouse amortized over the lifetime of the product

they did have a place to put it. literally anywhere else that still allows the magic mouse to function as a mouse when charged

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make a magic mouse with wireless charging and you use AirPower as a mouse mat!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My 2013 magsafe charger just died. Do I need to get an original or do others work without killing my macbook?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xabi posted:

My 2013 magsafe charger just died. Do I need to get an original or do others work without killing my macbook?

Just spend the money on an original. Most third party ones are built at least partially out of scavenged connectors and cables, since only Apple can legally make them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Xabi posted:

Don’t gently caress around with off-brand MagSafe.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just spend the money on an original. Most third party ones are built at least partially out of scavenged connectors and cables, since only Apple can legally make them.

I'm super, super leery of 3rd party power bricks (and batteries). I also only buy replacements (or extras for the laptop bag) from Apple directly. I've heard too many stories of power bricks being offered on Amazon as "Apple", but actually being counterfeit.

I don't have it handy, but someone did a teardown comparing the Apple power brick and a counterfeit power brick. It was horrifying in a "can burn down your house" kind of way.

E: ^^ yep that's a picture from the tear down. The left is counterfeit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If the last few posts weren't enough, here's a video from Louis Rossmann explaining what happens to your rMBP when you use a knockoff charger.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Well I guess that’s it then. Thanks!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I don't mind Rossman as much as most, but for all the little annoying things he does, the cat hiss thing makes me close a video right away.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

xzzy posted:

It's gonna be an oled keyboard with little silicone bubbles for keys. And haptic feedback for when you mush the little breast implants.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

triggered

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't mind Rossman as much as most, but for all the little annoying things he does, the cat hiss thing makes me close a video right away.

I don’t even hate his Apple-bashing. It’s all the bizarre Jordan Peterson-esque wisdom that makes me :chloe:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In all likelihood probably more dependable than Apple's butterfly keyboard

Now all I can do is play Star Raiders on OpenEmu like a bintch

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Rossman obviously needs a woman instead of a cat. I agree though he should stop giving personal advice.

The way you can get a resonably cheap actual Apple charger is look for Refurb chargers on Amazon. Generally about half price and you can tell if they are real by the weight.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 3, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

redeyes posted:

Rossman obviously needs a woman instead of a cat. I agree though he should stop giving personal advice.

The way you can get a resonably cheap actual Apple charger is look for Refurb chargers on Amazon. Generally about half price and you can tell if they are real by the weight.

If you listen to his screedsadvice eps he’s had a few but they all turn out to be users and fakes for some reason

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sure have to press hard though

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Has anyone seen any reliable benchmark numbers for the 2019 i9 iMac which aren't Geekbench (the only benchmark the tech press knows about)? Ideally focused on video editing.

I assume some of these YouTube reviews have them but I can't bring myself watch a dozen different 16 minute long videos which mostly consist of unboxing and "thanks for subscribing".

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Silver lining with the keyboard issue - your 3 year old laptop is practically brand new after they're forced to replace the battery, keyboard, speakers, and top case. Easy to throw up on eBay when they inevitably refresh and fix the issue, too.

eames
May 9, 2009

article posted:

So here’s some anecdata for Apple. I sampled the people at Basecamp. Out of the 47 people using MacBooks at the company, a staggering 30% are dealing with keyboard issues right now!! And that’s just the people dealing with current keyboard issues. If you include all the people who used to have issues, but went through a repair or replacement process, the number would be even higher.
source: https://m.signalvnoise.com/the-macbook-keyboard-fiasco-is-surely-worse-than-apple-thinks/

not a huge sample size but yeah, would love to see the real stats. 53% reported current problems on his twitter poll.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So at the 3 year 6 month mark I should just start eating cans and cans of Pringles over my MacBook Pro to score a new battery?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Xabi posted:

I went to an Apple Store when my late 2013 Magsafe charger died and the tech I talked to was nice and sold me a new one for $50. Just do it. It isn't worth blowing up your $2k laptop to save a few bucks. Unlike the post 2015 USB-C Macbooks where you can go with Anker, Nekteck, etc, there is no other option.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 4, 2019

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Krispy Wafer posted:

So at the 3 year 6 month mark I should just start eating cans and cans of Pringles over my MacBook Pro to score a new battery?

Start?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I went to an Apple Store when my late 2013 Magsafe charger died and the tech I talked to was nice and sold me a new one for $50. Just do it. It isn't worth blowing up your $2k laptop to save a few bucks. Unlike the post 2015 USB-C Macbooks where you can go with Anker, Nekteck, etc, there is no other option.

Agreed, why take a loving chance when there's no end of crappy AliExpress fly-by-night suppliers that Amazon will send you a poo poo charger from, if you get them from the 'source,' there's no chance of getting hosed.

And if you bring in the old one to an Apple Store, there's more chance they'll responsibly recycle the old poo poo charger, rather than it winding up in a pile on a dumpster beach waiting to be scooped up for rare earth reclamations.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Hi guys ..

So I have on the way from eBay a Mac Mini 2014(i5 2.6ghz/8GB/240GB SSD) my last "proper" Mac (i.e not Hackintosh) was 15 - 20 years ago... what did I miss ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mfny posted:

Hi guys ..

So I have on the way from eBay a Mac Mini 2014(i5 2.6ghz/8GB/240GB SSD) my last "proper" Mac (i.e not Hackintosh) was 15 - 20 years ago... what did I miss ?

Nothing really but I’d up the ram and think about maybe getting a bigger SSD in the long run.

I’d say 16gb of ram will help the most for now and just see how well you like it. Its still a great little machine.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
If it’s the late 2014 model then the ram is soldered. I don’t remember the storage situation.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The 2014 mini storage is one sata 2.5” and one pcie SSD. If it shipped in a HDD only config, iirc you get no cable for installing a PCIe SSD at a later date.

240GB is not a SSD size Apple has ever sold. It has to be a user installed upgrade from the factory HDD. Should be relatively easy to upgrade to a bigger sata SSD, see ifixit for instructions and a list of the tools required.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mfny posted:

Hi guys ..

the right year of mac mini to buy, apparently...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Though realtalk if your last experience of Macs was pre-OS X, hoo boy

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Speaking of which, if I wanted to pick up a Mac capable of running System 9, what's the best model I could expect to get at a reasonable price?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’m curious how much it cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:laugh: