Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ripoff posted:

I’m coming from a 2013 rMBP which has weird booting issues and probably has another year or two at max before it goes to computer hell. What’s the magic combo in value for the new iMac, the 6-core 8th gen i5 and 575x model with an SSD? I don’t give a drat about memory since that’s owner-upgradable and I’ll end up slapping like 16GB in and calling it a day.

I’d go for either the base 27” with an SSD, or the high-end SKU to an i9-9900K and SSD. Though I have to wonder how hard the 9900K throttles in the current iMac chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

USB 3.1 gen 2 is 10 gigabit/sec, translated to megabytes it'd be 1.25 GB/sec. In reality, given overhead considerations, throughput tops out around 950 MB/sec for most true gen 2 enclosures, also dependent on media you're writing to.

Thunderbolt 3, on the other hand, maxes at 40 gigabit/sec, which translates to 5 GB/sec ideally; OWC sells Thunderbolt 3 SSD drives that top out at 2.5 GB/sec, and there's another company that sells a TB3 dock that has a built-in NVMe SSD slot but that only has a throughput of 1.5 GB/sec.

I have a MyDigital M2X Portable USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure and it has an ASMedia chip that gets 940 MB/sec reads, 920 MB/sec writes (as tested by AJA System Test lite on a 13-inch 2017 rMBP 4 Thunderbolt Ports) with an NVMe SSD installed.

The next generation of USB 3.x, 3.2 includes a 20-gigabit speed which equates to an ideal 2.5 GB/sec.

Those are cheap too!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

eames posted:

The iMac not getting T2 really doesn't make much sense.
I imagine this is because there's a major iMac upgrade in the works that's not ready yet, so they came up with this :effort:-speedbump-update because they learned from previous mistakes.

e: they also dropped SSD upgrade prices in the MBPs but you won't care... believe me.

People have been asking for a bezel/chin-less iMac since before they had retina displays. I’m fairly certain we’ll end up there at some point and I wonder if the thing that’s been delaying a new design is Apple planning to unveil ARM Macs with a big new chassis or something else.

There’s certainly a big design challenge there with simplifying the iMac while still making it striking/attractive/identifiable enough. You can push all the way to having a slab of glass on a base but at a certain point it starts looking too generic/boring and too much like a simple display. It can be argued that Jony’s had the same aesthetic ideal guiding the iMac since the beginning and has just been refining it and adapting tech and manufacturing advances since then (ie. it’s really all one evolving design) but it’s interesting that the external look hasn’t been updated in 7 years at this point. Makes me wonder if they’ve been iterating on the replacement this whole time or if there was a period of being “at rest” and satisfied with the chassis and compatible technology at the time.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I think the base 27” with the 256GB SSD upgrade seems like the best value. I don’t think a small bump in cpu frequency or gpu update is going to be terribly noticeable.

Would it be worth the hassle to go with an NVMe enclosure + 1TB Samsung 970 Evo for extra storage or should I stick with a 512GB apple SSD?

I like Rene Ritchie’s advice on new iMac buying: don’t put a spinny disk in your machine and get as much internal SSD as you think you need/can afford (at least 256gb) and then add external storage as you need it for media/etc.

With thunderbolt 3 there’s no reason to pay Apple’s SSD prices on a machine that’ll exclusively live on your desk.

If it were me I’d probably max out the internal storage at 512 or 256 and then expand via an external.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like Rene Ritchie’s advice on new iMac buying: don’t put a spinny disk in your machine and get as much internal SSD as you think you need/can afford (at least 256gb) and then add external storage as you need it for media/etc.

With thunderbolt 3 there’s no reason to pay Apple’s SSD prices on a machine that’ll exclusively live on your desk.

If it were me I’d probably max out the internal storage at 512 or 256 and then expand via an external.

If USB 3.1 Gen2 speeds of ~1GB/s speed were "enough" for an external drive, it seems like going with a slower and cheaper NVMe drive would be the way to go. UserBenchmark has the Intel 660p 2TB capped at 1.4GB/s but they go for $220. Seems like a pretty good deal.

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Intel-660p-NVMe-PCIe-M2-2TB/m693540vsm610546

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like Rene Ritchie too, but that should be anyone's advice. I guess years of the Apple's greedy markups have made people not think clearly?

To be honest, if Apple cared about making elite products, they wouldn't even have an iMac with a 5400 HDD as an option in 2019.
They care about having expensive products, Q.E.D.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even the fusion drives sucks because it has a 32gig ssd and a lovely 5400rpm drive with it. Doesn't matter if you have a core i9 if it has that.

Apple also charges $300 to upgrade from the default to a 512gig SSD.

eames
May 9, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

If USB 3.1 Gen2 speeds of ~1GB/s speed were "enough" for an external drive, it seems like going with a slower and cheaper NVMe drive would be the way to go. UserBenchmark has the Intel 660p 2TB capped at 1.4GB/s but they go for $220. Seems like a pretty good deal.

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Intel-660p-NVMe-PCIe-M2-2TB/m693540vsm610546

IMO this is the way to go with stationary Macs.
Buy the smallest/best value/standard SSD option as a boot drive and add whatever additional local storage required via USB3.1/TB3. It'll cost a fraction and I/O is now generally reliable and fast enough. USB4 should help with this because it'll drive down the cost of TB3 enclosures, assuming they will be backwards compatible.
Mobile macs are different because having a drive dangling from the machine while on the go is not great.

Djimi posted:

To be honest, if Apple cared about making elite products, they wouldn't even have an iMac with a 5400 HDD as an option in 2019.
They care about having expensive products, Q.E.D.

Apple could probably source a decent (860EVO) 250GB SSD for less than $50 and it'd be an infinitely better experience than the 5400rpm base option. I can only assume that they're sitting on a pile of old 2.5" drives.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Are the newest (2018) 13 inch MBPs available through refurbished store? I don't see them on there. Are they just out of stock currently?

Also what are the chances they get updated within the next few months?

eames
May 9, 2009

The Upgrade Podcast has a softball interview with the iMac Product Manager. It is... interesting.

https://www.relay.fm/upgrade/237

Particularly the justification for the 5400rpm drive (apparently you really only *need* all flash memory in mobile computers because the space of a spinning drive doesn’t matter as much in a stationary computer).

Toner. Heads.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nervana posted:

Are the newest (2018) 13 inch MBPs available through refurbished store? I don't see them on there. Are they just out of stock currently?

They are if they have them in stock

Best Buy has them for $1199 ($300 off) right now. And if your local store has an open box for $1019 that’s even better

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

nervana posted:

Change the filter in the upper right to Price: High To Low and hey presto there are all the 2018 refurbs (released in July 2018) they haven't really come down in price, though..

quote:

Eh, about even I'd say? 9th gen Intel chips are shipping already, probably a good chance Apple will just do a speed bump for the rMBP's like they did with the iMac..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 20, 2019

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Ah its because I wanted 16gb ram, I see the newest ones with 8gb ram.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

eames posted:

Apple could probably source a decent (860EVO) 250GB SSD for less than $50 and it'd be an infinitely better experience than the 5400rpm base option. I can only assume that they're sitting on a pile of old 2.5" drives.

I suppose to be generous, the use case of the lowly 5400 spinner is that it is 1TB and for grandparents who only want to have a lot of cute grandchildren photos, a slow, big-screen all-in-one that doesn't make them have to plug in an external drive (and because they are just not sure about using or paying for iCloud), is a good choice.

Maybe that is possibly the reasoning at 1 Apple Park Way. Yes they could source a 512GB EVO or the like.

I think Jobs would have had the courage to say good bye to spinners. But I digress....

stevewm
May 10, 2005

eames posted:

The Upgrade Podcast has a softball interview with the iMac Product Manager. It is... interesting.

https://www.relay.fm/upgrade/237

Particularly the justification for the 5400rpm drive (apparently you really only *need* all flash memory in mobile computers because the space of a spinning drive doesn’t matter as much in a stationary computer).

Toner. Heads.

Ah typical Apple.. Always form over function.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’ve been given a 2008 MacBook by a friend, it seems like it’d be perfect for basic browsing etc so I’m planning on sticking an SSD in there and maybe bringing the ram up to 8gb (may only read 6gb ) the only thing is I’m not sure what to do with the OS, it’s currently on 10.5 which has some compatibility issues, any advice on how I can make it usable???

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’ve been given a 2008 MacBook by a friend, it seems like it’d be perfect for basic browsing etc so I’m planning on sticking an SSD in there and maybe bringing the ram up to 8gb (may only read 6gb ) the only thing is I’m not sure what to do with the OS, it’s currently on 10.5 which has some compatibility issues, any advice on how I can make it usable???

Find a copy of Snow Leopard (Amazon, eBay, or :airquote: OTHER Sites ) upgrade it to that and then all subsequently available updates (El Capitan will be the last version for that Mac) should come through the App Store.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Last Chance posted:

Find a copy of Snow Leopard (Amazon, eBay, or :airquote: OTHER Sites ) upgrade it to that and then all subsequently available updates (El Capitan will be the last version for that Mac) should come through the App Store.

Oh it’s that simple 😂 sounds like a plan

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’ve been given a 2008 MacBook by a friend, it seems like it’d be perfect for basic browsing etc so I’m planning on sticking an SSD in there and maybe bringing the ram up to 8gb (may only read 6gb )
8GB will work.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaz2k21 posted:

If you really want to push the machine into the present, you might be able to get Mojave on it with DosDude1's patch tool.

I've got Mojave running on my mid 2008 iMac and it runs surprisingly well, with the physical hard drive being the only obvious bottleneck.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

So the 27” iMac vs the Mac Mini...

Same specs, 6-core, 16GB, 512GB

$800 more for a 5k display, Radeon 570X, mouse/keyboard

The only disadvantage I see is you can’t get 10GB networking unless you go to the iMac pro

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Another small thing is that the iMac has decent built in speakers. The one in the mac mini is a non starter.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

The only disadvantage I see is you can’t get 10GB networking unless you go to the iMac pro

Aren't there TB3->10Gb adapters?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Aren't there TB3->10Gb adapters?

Forgot about those. Too bad there aren’t more TB3 ports on the iMac

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new mini has basically the same io as an iMac Pro which is pretty cool.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don't know, personally I would do the iMac. I really weight screen quality highly, and you're not going to do any better than that for the difference in cost. And I would consider it a 5 year+ machine. $800 extra across the life of the machine is fairly negligible.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Forgot about those. Too bad there aren’t more TB3 ports on the iMac

Any thunderbolt 3 device can also support another, so you can find 10gbe adapters that you can still have a port open. They're expensive and 10g isn't really needed for most consumers, but you can add fast ethernet ports like this

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Linguica posted:

Just bought a less than 3 month old retina MBP off Craigslist for $600 :waycool:
Just sold that same MBP online for $640 :waycool:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

I’ve been thinking along these lines myself. I already have a large 4K monitor so I am waiting on a teardown of the new 21.5” iMac to see if you can still upgrade the ram and 2.5” SATA yourself if you’re willing to open it up. (2017 4K iMacs allow both, I’m hoping it’s not all soldered down yet.)

If it’s still possible the obvious move is to replace the lovely 5400rpm 2.5” HDD with a $250 2TB SATA SSD. If you buy it with a Fusion drive (which I probably would since the $1499 gpu/cpu upgrade config comes with one), it should also be possible to replace the OEM 32gb SSD with a large NVME SSD via an adapter board.

The new mini is a reasonably nice computer but Apple has completely lost sight of the fact that it needs to be value priced. What I need in a desktop these days is mostly adequate storage at a reasonable price, and Apple’s devotion to extracting enormous sums of money for storage capacity isn’t sitting well.

I suppose I should really wait until the mythical modular Mac Pro surfaces but the chances it doesn’t start at $5k seem slim

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I have a USB keyboard problem with my Macbook Air that's driving me insane.

It's a 2016 model, purchased in August of that year. It's been through a few OS versions since then, currently running High Sierra now.

Problem is when using the Apple full size keyboard, after being plugged in for about a day or so the keyboard response gets worse and worse, eventually to stop working entirely. Keyboard keys start working intermittently, sometimes spitting out weird characters like a function key is stuck or something. Then get worse and worse until, kaput.

Bluetooth keyboard works fine, all the time. Additionally the keyboard on the laptop itself has never had any issues either.

I've tried:
  • Using several different Apple full-size keyboards
  • Using the USB cord extender recommended to often fix weird keyboard issues
  • Resetting the PMC
  • Tried it without the dock
  • Tried it in a different USB port

Has anyone encountered this issue and found out an actual fix? I've been fighting with this since I bough this machine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
What’s the feasibility of using an eGPU to boost performance and longevity out of one of the new iMacs? Are you still basically forced to get a second display in order to make it worthwhile?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
e: oops, wrong thread. sorry

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but is there a way to turn off Apple Watch notifications for a MMS text thread? It works for iMessage but not MMS. :(

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I’m seriously considering building an eGPU ~gaming~ Mac mini, somebody talk me down.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just build a normal gaming PC. You can make it small(not as small as the mini of course) and also have a GPU worth a poo poo for around the same price as a mini. Also gaming on macos isn't great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Build a Hackintosh and dual-boot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lazyhound posted:

I’m seriously considering building an eGPU ~gaming~ Mac mini, somebody talk me down.

You can use an intel nuc for a fraction of the price. eGPU support is better on Windows too.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Do you need apple eGPU support for boot camp or do they need to provide some drivers to make it work?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Lazyhound posted:

You can build a high-end mini-ITX gaming PC for like $1200-1500 easily and have a far quicker tiny PC that sits under or on your desk and plays every game very well, so don't bother wasting your time and breaking your heart with awful Apple eGPU support.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

hatty posted:

Just build a normal gaming PC. You can make it small(not as small as the mini of course) and also have a GPU worth a poo poo for around the same price as a mini. Also gaming on macos isn't great.
I dunno, there are some pretty small SFF boxes available. I got a Zotac ZBox I’m very happy with and Intel’s making even smaller units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If I want to run old games like Morrowind or Episode 1 Racer that GOG only has available on Windows, I should be good with Fusion right? It’s a 2013 rMBP but the most taxing game I’d ever try to run is from like 2006.

Lazyhound posted:

gently caress the haters, just get on the GeForce Now Beta train and then in a year or two get on Google Stadia or XBone Holographic or whatever. Also get a notebook because what do you need a desktop for in that case?