Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Alexey's last post ITT: february 19

Eph's first post: March 5

yeah, someone's dodging a polonium enema with his name on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Thank you for answering my question. If that's what passes for logic in the heathen West these days, I will do just fine. :D

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Well, drat, welcome comrade and enjoy your LLM. Hopefully life treats you better here.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ephemeron posted:

Thank you for answering my question. If that's what passes for logic in the heathen West these days, I will do just fine. :D

lol

spoiler alert: ol' vapors is neither the best nor brightest that the heathen West has to offer, and thank Christ for that

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

e: ignore this, see below

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 1, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

Made rookie mistake on my LSAT: got stuck solving a logic game instead of moving on, so by the time the 5 minutes call went out, I was still on question 9. :(

I'll definitely be retaking it in June, but now I wonder whether I should cancel Saturday's score altogether.

I don't think cancelling matters much unless you plan to retake more than two times (at which point you should realistically just bail). Also, probably don't bother even applying unless you get a 167 or so or better, unless you have a 3.9+ undergrad GPA.

E: oh you're trying to come in from practice in Russia, I have no idea how that poo poo works ignore my post

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 1, 2019

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

As far as I can tell, for LLM programs it's pretty much "can you pay full freight for tuition? Is your LSAT vaguely in the range we would like? Cool, come on in, pay us."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't think cancelling matters much unless you plan to retake more than two times (at which point you should realistically just bail). Also, probably don't bother even applying unless you get a 167 or so or better, unless you have a 3.9+ undergrad GPA.

E: oh you're trying to come in from practice in Russia, I have no idea how that poo poo works ignore my post

yeah LLM's are nowhere near like this

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Did you change your name or did we get another Russian lawyer?

Spoilers, there's a ton of those loving russians, let me tell you. They are just across the border, I can see Russia from my house.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Spoilers, there's a ton of those loving russians, let me tell you. They are just across the border, I can see Russia from my house.

I didn't realise you were American :confused:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kalman posted:

As far as I can tell, for LLM programs it's pretty much "can you pay full freight for tuition? Is your LSAT vaguely in the range we would like? Cool, come on in, pay us."

This was my impression as well. If you're just doing this as a formality to get licensed here, it doesn't matter. Go get the cheapest ABA accredited LLM you can find.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know you posted here Sarah.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Are there LLM programs that require the LSAT? The one here doesn't.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Are there LLM programs that require the LSAT? The one here doesn't.

lol Calvin Candie of all people with a good point. per lsac.com:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

although actually now that I reread his posts, at no time does Totally Not Alexey actually say he's pursuing an LLM. that came strictly from Mr. Nice, a known villain and notorious dissembler.

what degree are you pursuing, comrade?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah I just assumed he’d be grabbing an llm because some states are fine with an LLM for lawyers from different countries. Just looked up Florida and you have to have an ABA JD regardless so I guess there’s egg on my face.

E: looks like around 36 states allow foreign lawyers to sit for the bar with an LLM or sometimes just straight up.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 2, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Someone told me for the first time in a while that I should go into law, because I’m “good at law”.

So I pulled up the Supreme Court of Canada’s judgement on Orlon Estate v Grail and read it again while reminding myself this was one of the most important admiralty law case in Canada, until I came close to die from boredom.

Law school: not even applying.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol

https://lalegalethics.org/lawyer-suspended-for-outrageous-harassment-of-paralegal/

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ahahahah

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Skolnick also called L.D.’s husband a “douche bag” and made fun of her mother, though he had never met her.

help im dying

edit: During that conversation, he also told her that he had been losing weight because seeing her made him feel nauseated.

ahahaha

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Lol that reads like a George Saunders short story. It’s just missing manslaughter.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Sure, the first year of my boss calling me a smelly fat unfuckable hog with a whore mother was bad, but it was the second year where it really started to rankle

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Sure, the first year of my boss calling me a smelly fat unfuckable hog with a whore mother was bad, but it was the second year where it really started to rankle

I think that's more of a commentary on the state of the American labor market where the massive power imbalance ensures employees will tolerate outrageously abusive behavior.

America is a disgusting hellhole.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sab0921 posted:

I think that's more of a commentary on the state of the American labor market where the massive power imbalance ensures employees will tolerate outrageously abusive behavior.

America is a disgusting hellhole.

Yeah, probably the only job with medical.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So Kirkland didn’t help at all and just recommended we contact a local digital discovery vender to get the load files and such together.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

So Kirkland didn’t help at all and just recommended we contact a local digital discovery vender to get the load files and such together.

Lol get fuckkked

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I went and told my boss that was the response I got and said we needed to start hunting. He then called and got the same answer and was pretty shocked. This is actually a big gently caress you to plaintiffs in the BP case. If you don’t have the onsite resources to provide Kirkland with relativity compatible documents with load files by the 15th your case is dismissed.

The court order that mandated this came out on the 22nd of last month with a due date of the 15th this month. This is potentially going to gently caress a lot of people. I almost wonder if it’s worth it to reach out to the court. This is a potentially significant cost added on to around a hundred or so claims that are similarly represented by smaller firms that don’t have digital discovery software.

Right now it’s either do things the way Kirkland prefers or your case is dismissed.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Does the order say the stuff you’re saying about formatting? Or is Kirkland demanding it that way? Maybe dump natives or PDFs on them if you have to but don’t miss the deadline and make them whine to the judge.

E:do any other counsel on your side have suggestions?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Does the order say the stuff you’re saying about formatting? Or is Kirkland demanding it that way? Maybe dump natives or PDFs on them if you have to but don’t miss the deadline and make them whine to the judge.

E:do any other counsel on your side have suggestions?

The order states "Documents and information should be produced in litigation-ready format, including a document production load file, TIFF image files, text files, Excel files in native format, and Bates numbered pages."

I don't know if the boss has talked to anyone else. I clocked out at 5 and I'm on contract so i'm not actually going to put effort forth tonight on it beyond just talking with nerds on the internet. I'm going to do that anyways.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sounds like Kirkland drafted the order to make their lives easier. Still, if you want to load things on Relativity then you need to have someone who knows how to do that, either your paralegal or whichever vendor/litigation support service you are using to host your Relativity databases.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arcturas posted:

Sounds like Kirkland drafted the order to make their lives easier. Still, if you want to load things on Relativity then you need to have someone who knows how to do that, either your paralegal or whichever vendor/litigation support service you are using to host your Relativity databases.

I'll talk to the boss in the morning about it, but it's either we go hire someone at a potentially significant cost or ask the the court to let us just give them what we have minus the load files and make them sort it out themselves. BP is covering all the costs of litigation in the long run, but I don't know if we're going to be able to find someone locally who can provide this service for us in a week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reminder that the other two attorneys in my firm are septuagenarians.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oh, I was confused then. I thought you were receiving documents and needed to put them on Relativity for review, in which case you would have needed someone to help you setup Relativity and setup your database, and that’s the person who you should be bugging about load files. If you are producing documents and haven’t needed to use Relativity then maybe things are different.

You could always do what rear end in a top hat opposing counsel always does, and produce a pile of PDFs and let the Kirkland folks decide how much they care about screaming about it to the court. It’s not technically proper but neither is 90% of discovery practice. Asking the court in advance for permission to produce that way is, of course, safer.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
hahahahhahahahahahahahah

K&E is always the perfect encapsulation of big law at any time. My personal favorite is their "work/life balance" video they released in the 2000s where the participants look like hostages and one eventually committed suicide because KE is a horrid sweatshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgSJUzYCGtc

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

hahahahhahahahahahahahah

K&E is always the perfect encapsulation of big law at any time. My personal favorite is their "work/life balance" video they released in the 2000s where the participants look like hostages and one eventually committed suicide because KE is a horrid sweatshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgSJUzYCGtc

someone at kirkland told me, shortly after mentioning their several 3000 hour years (we asked, they didn't mention them offhand) that sleep was very important to them and that's why they made every effort to get 7 hours of sleep at night

it did not go unnoticed on our side that the correct amount of sleep is eight hours

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

someone at kirkland told me, shortly after mentioning their several 3000 hour years (we asked, they didn't mention them offhand) that sleep was very important to them and that's why they made every effort to get 7 hours of sleep at night

it did not go unnoticed on our side that the correct amount of sleep is eight hours

This is the equivalent of blinking out SOS in Morse code during a hostage video.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The order states "Documents and information should be produced in litigation-ready format, including a document production load file, TIFF image files, text files, Excel files in native format, and Bates numbered pages."
whoever let Kirkland draft the order should be disbarred

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Arcturas posted:

You could always do what rear end in a top hat opposing counsel always does, and produce a pile of PDFs and let the Kirkland folks decide how much they care about screaming about it to the court. It’s not technically proper but neither is 90% of discovery practice. Asking the court in advance for permission to produce that way is, of course, safer.
absolutely do this. give Kirkland the docs you have in whatever format you have them.

no sane* judge is going to give a single gently caress about their crocodile tears about the format of the documents, as long as you actually gave them the documents

*: lol u hosed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think I’m just going to tell my boss to ask the judge for an exception and give them everything numbered in native format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

another fun fact about kirkland: their real partners are not human

no, seriously: if you look closely at Kirkland filings, you'll notice the actual equity partners all have "P.C." after their name. that is because the human is not a kirkland partner: the human has formed an individual professional corporation and that corporation is the kirkland partner.