Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
For one moment this morning, I thought Dave was about to start explaining what fujoshi were when he started into the appeal of the Golden Lovers to the female Japanese audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It wouldn't shock me Dave would be able to explain Fujoshi better than most given Dave had an aside in an observer that had one of the best English breakdowns of Sazae-san ever

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I have no idea who Sazae-san is, but I kinda want to hear Dave explain it. You know when he talked about that?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

NuclearPotato posted:

I have no idea who Sazae-san is, but I kinda want to hear Dave explain it. You know when he talked about that?

Sazae-san is the longest-running anime ever, been running since 1969 and is at around 8,000 8-minute episodes. Been going so long that for many of the first episodes there aren't any copies because the cassettes had been re-used, so if Dave has been since then, he probably has some rare Sazae-san VHS stored alongside his copy of the Magee-Hart match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan: What was your favorite memory of your recent Tokyo visit?
Dave: ....there was this real pretty girl....

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

how did that conor/enzo question get through today

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

handsome only face posted:

how did that conor/enzo question get through today

Because bryan doesn't read the questions first.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NuclearPotato posted:

I have no idea who Sazae-san is, but I kinda want to hear Dave explain it. You know when he talked about that?

I forget the issue but it was fall of 2018 and he was talking about ratings and Japanese TV IIRC which is why he want on Sazae-san tangent

Germansimp posted:

Sazae-san is the longest-running anime ever, been running since 1969 and is at around 8,000 8-minute episodes. Been going so long that for many of the first episodes there aren't any copies because the cassettes had been re-used, so if Dave has been since then, he probably has some rare Sazae-san VHS stored alongside his copy of the Magee-Hart match.

if Dave got some of his 90's/80's All Japan and New Japan tapes from Japanese grocery stores he's probably sitting on a treasure trove of commercials and content that may be lost not just on the wrestling side (Probably the same for some of the older territory stuff if they still had commercials)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SatoshiMiwa posted:

if Dave got some of his 90's/80's All Japan and New Japan tapes from Japanese grocery stores he's probably sitting on a treasure trove of commercials and content that may be lost not just on the wrestling side (Probably the same for some of the older territory stuff if they still had commercials)

Funny, I just read this story yesterday:

https://twitter.com/NYTMetro/status/1109199323223474177

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fumi and Jim Valley are calling the Stardom New York show on Fite

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan: What was your favorite memory of your recent Tokyo visit?
Dave: ....there was this real pretty girl....

90s Dave trying to break through.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lord knows he had the guns for it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

well, not the finger guns anyway

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Croc posted:

90s Dave trying to break through.

Oddly enough this time it was also manami

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I looked it up and it looks like the Sazae-san talk is from the April 24, 2017 Observer and it's in the part about the Rizin show.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
It made me truly happy to hear mention of Giant Killer Danny Padilla on B&V today.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jericho was on Jim Norton & Sam Roberts' show yesterday and said he called WWE to see if he could get some people on his podcast in the lead-up to Mania. Response: "We don't think it's appropriate now that you've signed with AEW"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/ColtCabana/status/1112026006632742912

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is the Bryan match from All Pro Wrestling available anywhere? I looked on APWs official channels but all I found was a spoiler for the finish.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
*finds first mention of Daniel Bryan in April 17, 2000 Wrestling Observer*

:)

*reads until the end*

:(

quote:

The San Antonio Express-News ran a story about Shawn Michaels’ students and the TWA. Shooter Schultz and Kris Schultz, 25, of St.
Louis and American Dragon is Brian Danielson, 18, from Washington who was an honors student in college who quit to train under
Michaels. Danielson in the article bragged about the fact he had already suffered three concussions in three months in the ring.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Came upon an article on Meltzer in WRESTLING MANIACS Magazine from June 2000. Some pretty primo Meltzer pics, including him in a SUIT of all things.

I put full size scans of the entire article in this gallery - https://imgur.com/a/RgKhRu3

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I cannot tell if Dave's style is trying to hide his massive arms or accentuate it.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Is there a 90s Meltzer account but for instagram instead of twitter because I will create an Instagram account for the sole purpose of following that.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Tato posted:

*finds first mention of Daniel Bryan in April 17, 2000 Wrestling Observer*

:)

*reads until the end*

:(

lol jesus

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

God look at that gigantic shirt

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

exploded mummy posted:

:toxx: if the Orange Cassidy/Bryan Alvarez match happens I will rename myself "OJ MIST TO THE DICK"for at least the next six months (if it fits)

I'm going to have to ask for a little lenience on this, someone started racking up unauthorized charges on my CC# today so I need to get a new card before I can buy a name change. I should probably have it by Tuesday next week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

God look at that gigantic shirt

It's no good Dave, you can't hide the guns :stwoon:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tato posted:

Came upon an article on Meltzer in WRESTLING MANIACS Magazine from June 2000. Some pretty primo Meltzer pics, including him in a SUIT of all things.

I put full size scans of the entire article in this gallery - https://imgur.com/a/RgKhRu3

you know kurt brown went with dave to tijuana to see that FMW card and they wore matching sweaters

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This is by far the most fashionable I've ever seen Dave dress, even if he wore those exact outfits today.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i've been reading back issues of the Observer and that thing Dave used to do where he would write a wrestler's shoot name next to their ring name is really annoying

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly with the way Dave used to write in general it surprises me he didn’t catch a ton of rear end beatings throughout the 80s/early 90s

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

too busy catching a ton of rear end

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Aesop Poprock posted:

Honestly with the way Dave used to write in general it surprises me he didn’t catch a ton of rear end beatings throughout the 80s/early 90s

I remember once someone sent in a question asking dave if his physique had anything to do with his success. Dave flat out said no.

Bullshit dave, no one can say no to those guns

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Konnan mentioned once that he took Dave backstage to a show and everybody just assumed he was one of the boys and didn't work in the area regularly :allears:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The woman with the Magee/Bret tape

https://twitter.com/marykayfabe/status/1113413547000762369

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Then why doesn't she just post the loving match

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

She is. In lots of 5 second animated GIFs released over the course of 2 years. Continue to check her Twitter for updates.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

She wants some payday clearly milking the gently caress out of her 15 minutes of wrestling twitter domination.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Konnan mentioned once that he took Dave backstage to a show and everybody just assumed he was one of the boys and didn't work in the area regularly :allears:

There's video of it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If I'm to understand correctly it's not even the Hart/Magee match that people actually want to see, right?