Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m old then because this is news to me.

The last holdout career for men is basically STEM and when that falls the gynarchy will reign supreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

boo_radley posted:

When computer science is involved, the correct term is "stolen pallor" :colbert:

stolen squalor

yeah, you are supposed to pronounce it wrong

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Found out my GF (26/F) secretly thinks I'm (27/M) a dumbass.

quote:

I've been with my current gf for a little over 2 years now and everything's been going so well. I thought she was happy with our relationship and me because we discussed about marriage multiple times. We even made plans to get married after she completed law school.

However, I recently discovered (I manage to get access to one of her messaging apps and snooped around. Yes, I know I'm wrong for doing so and I feel horrible.) that she's been complaining that I'm an idiot and questions how many brain cells I have on multiple different occasions to her friends.

Yes, I know I'm not the smartest person academically, but I didn't think I was an idiot. No, I'm not a lawyer, doctor, or engineer - but does that automatically make me a dumbass? I work in the creative industry and I'm respected by my peers and I have a good job.

I really don't know what to do. I love this woman very much and I was planning to spend the rest of my life with her, but can I really be with someone who thinks I'm a complete moron? What even confuses me more is why is she even with me If she thinks I have “2 brain cells”?

TL;DR - My girlfriend of 2 years thinks I’m a complete idiot and I don’t know if I should still be with her.

quote:

[–]hey_yo_mr_white [score hidden] 17 hours ago

I’m gonna need context for why she called you an idiot to her friends. It didn’t just come out of nowhere, there would be a specific incident or multiple specific incidents that would have her call you an idiot.

What did she say you did?

You read the messages so you know.

[–]throwaway9999648 [S] [score hidden] 16 hours ago

Her comments were not about what I did, but what I said during random conversations regarding random topics.

I mean, I know I'm not the smartest person, but I've never been called a dumbass before..

quote:

None of the complaints were about what I did or what I didn't do. They were all about my opinion on random topics we discussed.

quote:

She basically complains about our discussions because we have different point of views. Topics included law, government, and society.

the rest of the comments posted:

We need actual specifics, OP.

OP posted:

*crickets*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
EA fucks up everything. they're such pieces of poo poo.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Someone's never been to Utah

I'm very grateful for this fact.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Barudak posted:

The last holdout career for men is basically STEM and when that falls the gynarchy will reign supreme

Biology is part of the S in STEM

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m old then because this is news to me.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/upshot/as-women-take-over-a-male-dominated-field-the-pay-drops.html
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140902171429.htm
http://www.browndailyherald.com/2016/03/16/women-in-science-tend-to-gravitate-toward-biology-cognitive-sciences/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gently caress Your Website posted:

Chemistry or biology are not conventionally manly like being an unemployed video game enthusiast, no.

think, like, the sorts of people who go full :smugbert: about not having been a liberal arts major. they usually think life sciences have cooties too

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Blade Runner posted:

Just say once every two weeks you fucks

I've never heard anyone complain about the word fortnight. Is this some weird personal vendetta or a regional thing? It's an extremely common word in my experience. For instance, I have multiple contracts that specify fortnightly billing. It's like hearing the word week and raging that they didn't just say seven days.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Moon Atari posted:

I've never heard anyone complain about the word fortnight. Is this some weird personal vendetta or a regional thing? It's an extremely common word in my experience. For instance, I have multiple contracts that specify fortnightly billing. It's like hearing the word week and raging that they didn't just say seven days.

I don’t understand it either since while I (being American) don’t have it in my vocabulary I understand it’s still valid in some dialects of English. It’s like getting snippy about calling a traffic light a “robot”

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA For Not Paying A Domme After She Ignored My Safe word?

Classic Ballbusting scenarios:

The Samwise: Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.

9/11: The domme is given a toy plane. The balls are the twin towers.

Arctic huntress: The domme is given a sexy parka and a club. The balls are a fur seal pup.

Sandy hook: The domme is given an airsoft gun. The balls are the kindergarteners.

Meriwether vs Mcgregor: The domme is meriwether, the balls are Mcgregor's face

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s like getting snippy about calling a traffic light a “robot”

loving pardon me?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Scathach posted:

loving pardon me?

It’s a South African English thing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also sensored traffic lights are indeed robots. so are elevators, and dishwashers. vending machines. toyota priuses. dehumanize and face to bloodshed

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s a South African English thing

That's kinda cool but what happens when we have real robots in the streets?

...oil for the robot god!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blade Runner posted:

Your partner is a misogynistic piece of trash but you used the word "fortnight" so really you're both at fault here

Fortnight as a unit of time is used all the time by British people

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anyone complaining about the use of the word fortnight is just outing themselves as a dumb seppo so it's safe to ignore

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Moon Atari posted:

It's the same as the while/whilst thing. In the UK it's allegedly normal, but in the US they've been reading fantasy doorstops instead of showering

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

there is no excuse for whilst

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Anne Whateley posted:

It's the same as the while/whilst thing. In the UK it's allegedly normal, but in the US they've been reading fantasy doorstops instead of showering

Yeah it's totally normal in the UK. I was astounded when I read people here who think there is something unusual about using it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If hearing “fortnight” and “whilst” is weird to you then I’m aching for us to get a post written in Singlish or something

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Every fortnight, whilst reading this thread, I ask myself "Is there anyone for whom an open relationship works? They all seem like tyre fire relationships where one should kick the other to the kerb."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol whilst

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pirate Radar posted:

If hearing “fortnight” and “whilst” is weird to you then I’m aching for us to get a post written in Singlish or something

Can?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
From EDMW:

ricekek 12:28 AM Today
Uncle on off got meet or date girls of uncle's age +- 3yo

I realize alot of girls I went out with are gold diggers.

Really spent too much.

Those meet in clubs, I understand.
But biz networking and friend's friend also rabak.

Really buay liao gai...

IceHoneyLemon 12:29 AM Today
Well, all sg gals are stereotyped as gold diggers what.

ricekek 12:33 AM Today
No need stereotype, go out one day, uncle know GG Liao.

I went out with American, china Chinese and etc.
Also kena here there.

Sg girls like my ex school mates is wife material league ones. I am happy to still in contact with them.

ricekek 12:43 AM Today
Lip lai shower care for uncle

fallen1 09:41 AM Today
Uncle date OLs on off
Realise many married OLs still keeping looking for hansum guys to date. Somemore married OLs are those willing to pounce on the guy one.
If u married a chio OL, better be careful.
Lucky uncle moi not married

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Now do a Scottish one

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

uncertainty posted:

This is it:

Ok, I was really horrified when I thought Dumbo was the mutant alien head of the penis, but now that I see Dumbo as the balls, it's only a really laughably bad tattoo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Oi! I track me weight in Stone every fortnight ye cunts

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Can? please revert

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blade Runner posted:

Plus yeah uh I've taken a bunch of college classes and I have not once, ever, had a professor who would say no if you spoke to them during office hours and asked in advance for time off for your sick child

The man should be killed imo

i am a college professor and our university policy states outright that a change in your child care situation grants you the option to do a retroactive no-grade-assigned all-fees-refunded withdrawal from all your courses that semester. even if the professor is an rear end in a top hat, it doesn't matter, because the withdrawal goes through the dean of students. just take the semester off with zero downsides except for eventually needing an extra semester to complete your degree.

he's a lazy stupid mean-hearted gently caress

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Speak it? Nah I’m not from there, I’ve just met Singaporeans here and there.

LimburgLimbo posted:

From EDMW:

ricekek 12:28 AM Today
Uncle on off got meet or date girls of uncle's age +- 3yo

I realize alot of girls I went out with are gold diggers.

Really spent too much.

Those meet in clubs, I understand.
But biz networking and friend's friend also rabak.

Really buay liao gai...

IceHoneyLemon 12:29 AM Today
Well, all sg gals are stereotyped as gold diggers what.

ricekek 12:33 AM Today
No need stereotype, go out one day, uncle know GG Liao.

I went out with American, china Chinese and etc.
Also kena here there.

Sg girls like my ex school mates is wife material league ones. I am happy to still in contact with them.

ricekek 12:43 AM Today
Lip lai shower care for uncle

fallen1 09:41 AM Today
Uncle date OLs on off
Realise many married OLs still keeping looking for hansum guys to date. Somemore married OLs are those willing to pounce on the guy one.
If u married a chio OL, better be careful.
Lucky uncle moi not married

Yeah this is the good poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Biology is part of the S in STEM

Thats the problem, the containment breach is happening. S is falling, TEM cant be far behind. Soon men may have to be able to demonstrate value outside if a job

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

i am a college professor and our university policy states outright that a change in your child care situation grants you the option to do a retroactive no-grade-assigned all-fees-refunded withdrawal from all your courses that semester. even if the professor is an rear end in a top hat, it doesn't matter, because the withdrawal goes through the dean of students. just take the semester off with zero downsides except for eventually needing an extra semester to complete your degree.

he's a lazy stupid mean-hearted gently caress

There's no way that dude has mentioned this to anyone at the university. He's clearly a humongous piece of poo poo looking for an excuse to abandon his responsibilities for sick child.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The child was perfectly fine when we divorced, folks! Healthy! The best! Now, he's sick. Very sad!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for thinking a divorce announcement due to an affair was an April fools joke?

Let me preface this off by blaming all of you, the entirety of reddit for desensitizing me, and giving me major trust issues on April fools day.

So here it goes... Yesterday I got a group text from my wifes (sarah) side of the family stating there was an emergency family meeting happening that night over dinner at my mother in laws (Barb) house.

I immediately had april fools spidey senses starting to tingle, but we haven't all got together since Christmas so I overlooked it and said we (my wife and I ) were in.

We were the last to arrive and it was pretty somber when we walked in. We all sat down at the table and my wifes brother (Tim) informed the family that his wife (Ashley) has been having an affair and they are divorcing. The affair was with a long time close family friend (Chris) who lived a block away.

Chris' wife (jen) had caught them when she came home early one day last week and broke the news to my brother in law Tim.

Both families have been friends for years. They live less than a block from each other, they each have been married for 15+ years, have 4 kids right around the same age. Honestly, I have always thought both of them were picture perfect families. Hell, all four of them and their kids were at our house two weeks ago for a bbq.

Anyways after airing a lot of dirty laundry, and their plans to divorce, how it could effect future family functions, and opening it up to the group of any questions... there was silence.

I broke the silence with laughter and a slow clap. Saying this was the best april fools gag I've ever seen but I wasn't falling for it. I told Ashley and especially Tim they need to consider going into theater, their performances were top notch and tears seemed genuine.

Being the newest member of the family (my wife and I married 6 months ago) this was probably not the best thing to say in hindsight. I probably should not have said anything.

Everyone in the room looked horrified.

My mother in law, who had been crying the entire time, lost all composure. She left the room in hysterics and did not return before we left.

Tim, just shook his head, and his cheating wife actually let out a brief chuckle before calling me out for being a dumbass for thinking this was a ruse. Then berating me for being so insensitive.

The rest of the family sat in silence shaking their heads as my wife berated me for trying to make a joke out of a serious situation...

I am still dumbfounded. In hindsight, I probably should have sat in silence... but I honestly still feel like I was calling out an april fools gag.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for potentially crossing the line with an april fools joke?

Wife is almost 39 weeks pregnant and ready to pop any day now. Last night, my father texts me and asks how the wife is doing.

I respond with "She's doing okay, the first night home with the baby was brutal." Implying that the baby was born and home and we didn't tell anyone.

I waited 3 minutes before I responded saying "jkjk April Fools". Apparently the 3 minutes was enough for him to notify the entire side of the family and got everyone excited and unbelievably pissed that I told nobody and invited nobody to the hospital.

He just responded "Dude...you loving kidding me?" and now wont talk to me.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
mmmmh, inject the terrible tonedeaf april fools jokes directly into my blood and or balls

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for thinking a divorce announcement due to an affair was an April fools joke?

Let me preface this off by blaming all of you, the entirety of reddit for desensitizing me, and giving me major trust issues on April fools day.

So here it goes... Yesterday I got a group text from my wifes (sarah) side of the family stating there was an emergency family meeting happening that night over dinner at my mother in laws (Barb) house.

I immediately had april fools spidey senses starting to tingle, but we haven't all got together since Christmas so I overlooked it and said we (my wife and I ) were in.

We were the last to arrive and it was pretty somber when we walked in. We all sat down at the table and my wifes brother (Tim) informed the family that his wife (Ashley) has been having an affair and they are divorcing. The affair was with a long time close family friend (Chris) who lived a block away.

Chris' wife (jen) had caught them when she came home early one day last week and broke the news to my brother in law Tim.

Both families have been friends for years. They live less than a block from each other, they each have been married for 15+ years, have 4 kids right around the same age. Honestly, I have always thought both of them were picture perfect families. Hell, all four of them and their kids were at our house two weeks ago for a bbq.

Anyways after airing a lot of dirty laundry, and their plans to divorce, how it could effect future family functions, and opening it up to the group of any questions... there was silence.

I broke the silence with laughter and a slow clap. Saying this was the best april fools gag I've ever seen but I wasn't falling for it. I told Ashley and especially Tim they need to consider going into theater, their performances were top notch and tears seemed genuine.

Being the newest member of the family (my wife and I married 6 months ago) this was probably not the best thing to say in hindsight. I probably should not have said anything.

Everyone in the room looked horrified.

My mother in law, who had been crying the entire time, lost all composure. She left the room in hysterics and did not return before we left.

Tim, just shook his head, and his cheating wife actually let out a brief chuckle before calling me out for being a dumbass for thinking this was a ruse. Then berating me for being so insensitive.

The rest of the family sat in silence shaking their heads as my wife berated me for trying to make a joke out of a serious situation...

I am still dumbfounded. In hindsight, I probably should have sat in silence... but I honestly still feel like I was calling out an april fools gag.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

oh god yes

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
It's amazing the amount of people willing to ruin or potentially ruin relationships, because they have a sick hilarious prank they just have to pull off, and it'll be great and everyone will talk about it for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for potentially crossing the line with an april fools joke?

Wife is almost 39 weeks pregnant and ready to pop any day now. Last night, my father texts me and asks how the wife is doing.

at this point i assumed it would be a joke about a dangerously premature birth, so at least he was...tasteful??