Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Al! posted:

i would prefer mass starvation, medicine shortages, rioting in the streets etc

good to see someone picking up the death crew slack since my retirement :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Elevator Screamer posted:

Ulster-Scots is kind of a legit thing. Historically the north of Ireland has been much more aligned with Scotland than with the rest of Ireland. Well into the 20th century there were folks living in the north of Ulster who spoke Scots Gaelic as their first language.

They've always had much stronger cultural ties to the west of Scotland than to any idea of a united Ireland, because there never has been a united Ireland. The north has had a culturally distinct identity for over 1000 years back to the time of the kingdom of Dalriada, which encompassed most of western Scotland but had it's cultural base in the north of Ireland.

But even the most cultural purist adherent of Ulster-Scots history would still agree that we shouldn't be leaving the EU because seriously lol wtf

thats not going to work as justification for being unionist when scotland bails though

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/HanbyAndrew/status/1113138448947396608?s=19

https://twitter.com/thisislucio/status/1112637637582602241?s=20

twoday has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Apr 3, 2019

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vitamin P posted:

Tell that to the Greek working class mate. We've seen how the EU treats its supplicants.

The current situation is extremely fun

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1113143495202570242

greece had EU parliament representation, you'll have none of that. hopefully brussels implements direct rule because you lot are utterly incapable of governing yourselves

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the folks who wanted specifically and exclusively to not be subject to the legal authority of the euro courts, but to keep every other benefit/condition of eu membership,are among my fav sources of reax to all of this (the brexit)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Raskolnikov38 posted:

greece had EU parliament representation, you'll have none of that. hopefully brussels implements direct rule because you lot are utterly incapable of governing yourselves

The austerity imposed on Greece had nothing to do with any process or person in the EU Parliament, it was entirely imposed by the European Central Bank. And the Greek people elected Syriza on an explicitly anti-austerity platform to be their national government when austerity was imposed on them.

Voters had nothing to with anything that happened to Greece at any level, you are extremely dumb and probably a lib that likes macron.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'd like to see the dumb ol' EU wriggle it's way out of THIS jam!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

The austerity imposed on Greece had nothing to do with any process or person in the EU Parliament, it was entirely imposed by the European Central Bank. And the Greek people elected Syriza on an explicitly anti-austerity platform to be their national government when austerity was imposed on them.

Voters had nothing to with anything that happened to Greece at any level, you are extremely dumb and probably a lib that likes macron.

lmao

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

brugroffil posted:

Brexit means PPD

At least there will be adequate salt.

Enjoy that, the 2 people that know the reference.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I'd wager a large number of brits my age and younger don't even know the British empire was a thing let alone that it was bad

We didn't mention it in school at all as far as I recall

How'd you cover the Revolutionary War?

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

Ulster-Scots is kind of a legit thing. Historically the north of Ireland has been much more aligned with Scotland than with the rest of Ireland. Well into the 20th century there were folks living in the north of Ulster who spoke Scots Gaelic as their first language.

They've always had much stronger cultural ties to the west of Scotland than to any idea of a united Ireland, because there never has been a united Ireland. The north has had a culturally distinct identity for over 1000 years back to the time of the kingdom of Dalriada, which encompassed most of western Scotland but had it's cultural base in the north of Ireland.

But even the most cultural purist adherent of Ulster-Scots history would still agree that we shouldn't be leaving the EU because seriously lol wtf

wait do people actually mix up the old gaelic culture shared between ireland and highland scotland, and the lowland scots who colonized ulster in the plantation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Did England die and is currently in hell? Are they just gonna keep looping through the same events over and over again without resolution as eternal punishment for their sins?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

lol she will never resign

she'll not resign on a technicality because no deal was ever passed and it'll be business as usual

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Did England die and is currently in hell? Are they just gonna keep looping through the same events over and over again without resolution as eternal punishment for their sins?

May's sisyphean punishment for disobeying the gods is to try to convince parliment to get her deal through and then going back to the EU to get a 2 week extension.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Gripweed posted:

yes but it's the entire human race, not just britain. For evidence, see America, and expect to watch other countries slowly discover their own incredibly stupid political gridlocks.

Why do you think global warming is making the temperature go up? We're already in hell, the curtain is just being pulled back slowly.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Relevant Tangent posted:

How'd you cover the Revolutionary War?

it didnt come up

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hentai Jihadist posted:

it didnt come up

lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

tbf england was in some quite larger pickles at the time than the colonies rebelling

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For you it was the single greatest day in your country's history.

For us it was Tuesday.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hentai Jihadist posted:

it didnt come up

when they taught ww1 and 2 how did they explain america coming in on your side?

Sorry the way the UK does history is fascinating.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

We didn't learn about our poo poo with India, China or Ireland either lol let alone any of the other colonies

Maybe it was only my generation but it was basically Tudors - Henry 8th - Aztecs for some reason - WW1 - pre-war Germany - WW2

And we learned that Britain basically won WW2 via the Battle of Britain

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soviet Space Dog posted:

wait do people actually mix up the old gaelic culture shared between ireland and highland scotland, and the lowland scots who colonized ulster in the plantation

Whats a lowland scot

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Whats a lowland scot

The craven edinburger. Ne'er man nor beast.

A scot wi'oot an accent a cursed creature he

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

Whats a lowland scot

Not a Highland Scot

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kinnnnnda just skipping over the plantation of Ulster here. A bit. A lot.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
which are the true scotsmen the highland or lowland ones?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kurtofan posted:

Whats a lowland scot

nm what’s a lowland scot w you

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

hakimashou posted:

which are the true scotsmen the highland or lowland ones?

My gut is telling me Highland

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I had a Scottish roommate named Angus. He literally spent his time studying Gaelic and playing the bagpipe. He was heavily involved in Scottish nationalism and now goes by "Aonghus". His Facebook posts are mostly in Gaelic now, so I'm not sure his take on the latest Brexit developments. It was difficult to understand anything he said in English.

That's my Scot story.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i know a guy called scott, ama

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Squizzle posted:

i know a guy called scott, ama

I once saw Roddy Piper win a wrestling match

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

I once saw Roddy Piper win a wrestling match

Roddy Piper was the greatest Scotsman to ever live.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Roddy Piper was the greatest Scotsman to ever live.

let’s vote on it

animist
Aug 28, 2018
so hows brexit going

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

animist posted:

so hows brexit going

”true brexit” is being planned if customs union is voted in

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Might want to get a move on guys

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Might want to get a move on guys

Me "its cool, i'm going to come up with something two days before its due"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Can't they just keep delaying it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009