Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I used to sell that same kind of thing, some clients had some loving pretty good owns on the company through it, but by and large they got screwed hard. I've only ever seen this poo poo go down in person so it was easier for the customer to make a scene and rightfully get their way. A good sticking point was insisting that you bought the features tied to a specific brand. Some brands dropped whatever garbage tier product they'd been selling and the customer ended up with something way better than they'd bought.

My absolute favorite was this guy who came in on his final year of his warranty plan. He'd bought a laptop when USB was just rolling out and manufacturer's had been putting the USB ports at the back of the laptop. He was a trucker who had the thing set up in the glove box. So for him an equivalent device was one with USB ports at the back and of a certain screen size. Everyone dropped that form factor by then, though, and the only comparable machine they had was a top of the line Sony Vaio. Dude stood his ground, argued with the entire store's chain of command and ended up taking it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

tag urself im the big section marked "miscellaneous"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm the 6 hours of wanking "working alone"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm the 18 hours of golfing :airquote: meetings :airquote:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I believe every word. Those hard workers should surely make 37.5% more than those only working 40 hours.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Extra shout out to 5 hours of "Business Meals" a week.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
im the vague "miscellaneous" chunk

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dead Beef posted:

im the vague "miscellaneous" chunk

It's not even vague, it pretty much just outright says "personal time" in the description.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
true enough, but that's still pretty vague... personal appointments, and "other acitivities"?

it must be hard to be a CEO

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

lol sure would be nice to get paid to be in transit to my job

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

A former buddy of mine had a kid with a certified loon and they named the poor fella "Bruce Wayne Lastname"

kinda weird to name a kid after a character famous for murdered parents and a life of psychological torture stemming from that trauma but hey

he's my former buddy because she made him cut all contact with his friend group. Ran into them at the food bank last year; he was friendly and shook my hamd as though he hadnt cut contact for months, she pretended I didn't exist, and Bruce.... well- you ever see a 100 lb preverbal child? I didn't say 'poor fella' because of his name
:smith:

so I just assume that anyone that names their kid after comic people have at least a skosh of the narcissism that turns one's favorite kitsch into another's entire identity

anyway p sure capitalism isn't solely responsible for that folie a deux child abuse nightmare but it can't be helping

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
imagine all the padding and teasing and embellishing it took to get to a pie chart that was still so pathetic.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

"Bruce Wayne Lastname"

Puts him on track to be a serial killer too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

D1Sergo posted:

tag urself im the big section marked "miscellaneous"

I'm "exercise" and "working alone."

who wants to bet that there are hours that are counted in multiple categories, and the CEO ends up working like 15 hours/week?

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

sometimes I feel bad for loving off here instead of working but that graph just proves I'm ceo material

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

yellowD posted:

sometimes I feel bad for loving off here instead of working but that graph just proves I'm ceo material

not unless you were blessed with the right family of birth and therefore had access to the correct social network that would let you get into power, because this world refuses to let anyone without the right name ever hold power

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
IIRC that graph was also made polling CEO assistants, not even the CEOs themselves.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irradiation posted:

IIRC that graph was also made polling CEO assistants, not even the CEOs themselves.

That makes me trust it more.

If it had been CEOs, they'd all claim to work 120 hours a week, sleeping mostly at their desk and subsisting on a diet of only leftover meeting donuts.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

That makes me trust it more.

If it had been CEOs, they'd all claim to work 120 hours a week, sleeping mostly at their desk and subsisting on a diet of only leftover meeting donuts.

sleeping on the factory floor

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

CommonShore posted:

I'm "exercise" and "working alone."

who wants to bet that there are hours that are counted in multiple categories, and the CEO ends up working like 15 hours/week?

For me what really puts it over the top is that "personal appointments" is included and is within the "miscellaneous" wedge which happens to be the largest one making up almost 40% of their week. Everything else can have a veil of bullshit on it to make it seem part of a work week--even exercise--but there is really no justifying something you have classified as personal lmfao

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I can't fault the CEOs on this one. Capitalism is all about individualism and efficiency, and a good equation for measuring that individual efficiency is income divided by time worked.

People who do nearly no work are almost infinitely efficient and are therefore justly rewarded.

This models many real-world aspects of capitalism. Giving money to others has negative efficiency and is very bad. The unemployed can be disregarded as an anomaly: zero/zero = NaN. Trust fund babies are infinitely efficient, while parasitic organisms like landlords are close to infinity but unfortunately not quite there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Close enough to infinity once we get these guillotines rolled out anyway.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can anyone link me some good articles/ podcasts on Instagram Influencers and/or Hypertargeting

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

awhile ago someone made some posts about education philosophy in the mid-20th century united states, it was either here or the cspammiest pics thread. it went into some detail about a guy whose ideas influenced the disbursal of New Deal funding to schools with his idea that schools should be "palaces of education" capable of imparting a broad, thorough, and intensive Liberal education that cultivated critical thinking, literacy, and civic mindedness as well as technical literacy. it was meant to be a paradigm for universal education and iirc the guy was basically an anti-racist progressive in the old-fashioned positivist sense, so ofc his ideas were only partially implemented and never became ubiquitous

anyway I've been thinking about that a lot and I can't seem to find out who the guy was or the name of his ideas, just the specific term "palaces of education" which doesn't help much alone in google

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I try and name my cats after folklore or famous historical figures and since I only get Siberian Forest cats because they may or may not be more or less allergen producing, I named my first cat Bayun, the second girl cat I'm getting is just gonna get named Boudica.

My cat's original official name was Chairman Meow but my wife suggested we change it to Debian (because he's got asthma so he's wheezy, get it, huh, get it :haw:) so that's what goes on his paperwork now.

In reality we always just call him "cat" because he's our only pet so it's not like there's any confusion.

D1Sergo posted:

Extra shout out to 5 hours of "Business Meals" a week.

That's at least vaguely business-y if they're actually like, going out to eat with Important People to Discuss Business, but I'm guessing they just bill everything as that because lol who cares.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

That's at least vaguely business-y if they're actually like, going out to eat with Important People to Discuss Business, but I'm guessing they just bill everything as that because lol who cares.

Also if they're actually traveling all the time its still working. Travel needs to be broken out of misc though for it to make any sense.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
https://twitter.com/SpookyAnarchist/status/1113159094976876545?s=19

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

This is a very convoluted way for short people to get revenge on tall people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How can you even do the brace position in seats like that, I can't imagine that got US or EU approval

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
high density airline seating is a rabbit hole of a thing to look up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Found an article about that specific seat:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/standing-up-airplane-seat-testing/index.html

quote:

First things first: Gaetano Perugini, engineering adviser at Aviointeriors, is keen to stress that the concept's not about creating "cattle class" and cramming in as many passengers in as possible.
"The message is, we do not want to put thousands of people in the cabin, we want to offer a multi-class configuration, which is nowadays impossible if you want to reach the maximum load of passengers," Perugini tells CNN Travel.
Usually, the only way for an airline to reach maximum capacity is outfitting their aircraft entirely with economy seats. The Skyrider takes up way less space than the average economy seat -- just 23 inches -- so the idea is airlines could cram in their economy seats, and still allow other passengers to book other kinds of tickets on the same flight.
"So that means that in the same cabin, you will have standard economy, premium economy or business class and ultra-basic economy -- which is an innovation for the airline and the passenger," Perugini explains. "This is the true reason for the Skyrider."

What a bizarre argument. "It's not about creating a cattle class and cramming in as many passengers as possible it's... about creating a cattle class and cramming in as many passengers as possible!"

I assume since the guy is showing off a prototype and giving a pitch meant for prospective buyers that it makes sense to the brain-rotted executives at airlines and the guy's just not used to talking to anyone else

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah ok this guy is totally incapable of speaking in ways that are not dripping with B2B sales pitch ooze:

quote:

"There's an appreciation for this kind of possibility of multi-class arrangement," he says.
"I hope that someone would consider this kind of opportunity -- this is something new. You do not have background for this, you cannot base judgment on previous experiences. We are exploring a new world."

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
meanwhile, in business-class:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dead Beef posted:

meanwhile, in business-class:

I think that's outright first class, business class that I've seen (while walking through it to get to economy of course) looks more like this:

Enjoy your own luxury Business Pod for doing Sky Business

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

What a bizarre argument. "It's not about creating a cattle class and cramming in as many passengers as possible it's... about creating a cattle class and cramming in as many passengers as possible!"

I assume since the guy is showing off a prototype and giving a pitch meant for prospective buyers that it makes sense to the brain-rotted executives at airlines and the guy's just not used to talking to anyone else

how do you fit a child into one of those seats

or a person with mobility issues

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shame Boy posted:

He's saying we don't want to put more people on a plane, we just want to cram the poors into as little space as possible to give the room they would otherwise occupy to the deserving customers who pay extra.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

He's saying we don't want to put more people on a plane, we just want to cram the poors into as little space as possible to give the room they would otherwise occupy to the deserving customers who pay extra.

Yeah in other words cramming as many passengers in as is possible with a three-class layout, by creating a cattle class.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Guess you don't get to fly :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Cargo hold. In crates.