Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

poverty goat posted:

But if you put all your cash in a safe and throw away the key and drop it in the ocean it's lost for good, even if you kept the receipts
My favourite is where you got as far as throw away the key and then realised the cash would still be recoverable so you added throw away the safe at which point the key and the safe become redundant components of throw away all your money but you left them in because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Modern computing means we've come up with ways to gently caress yourself so thoroughly that you cannot come up with a real-world metaphor to explain it, without resorting to imaginary bullshit like un-cuttable metal or unpickable locks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

divabot posted:

Yes in fact! Ernst & Young have released their Fourth Report as Monitor in the not-a-bankruptcy. It's 200+ pages. They are pissed. In a very :decorum: way, you understand.

How does it feel when you stop and think about the fact that you've become one of the world's foremost experts on Bitcoin? Like, this is your life now. That's gotta be weird.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pham Nuwen posted:

Modern computing means we've come up with ways to gently caress yourself so thoroughly that you cannot come up with a real-world metaphor to explain it, without resorting to imaginary bullshit like un-cuttable metal or unpickable locks.

here's a straightforward real world metaphor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZydV39hb8

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

How does it feel when you stop and think about the fact that you've become one of the world's foremost experts on Bitcoin? Like, this is your life now. That's gotta be weird.

Pounded in the butt by my own bitcoin historian, who is me

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Where is the best place to go to speculate wildly on Bitcoin price movements? After this latest jump I wanna buy all the puts.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Facebook Aunt posted:

i cry myself to sleep on a small camp bed made of not very much money. Also, it's hard to express just how sick of this poo poo my wife is. The Amazon statements help convince her tho.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Norton the First posted:

Where is the best place to go to speculate wildly on Bitcoin price movements? After this latest jump I wanna buy all the puts.

Why stop at bitcoin, you can short eight different shitcoins on bitmex.

Can also open a perpetual short at 1x leverage and ride the thing down while earning fat interest.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I wrote up a summary of the EY 4th monitor's report. There's a forensic accountant there who is so pissed off.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Wamdoodle posted:

only one neck beard among them and on a NOT HEFTY FELLOW! Shameful

Lotta male pattern balding though

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
what happened to Comfy Fleece Sweater

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Fuckin great, zaurg’s back again

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Ziv Zulander posted:

Fuckin great, zaurg’s back again

And he’s just sold his house, so time to go up, uP, UP to the moon!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

klafbang posted:

And he’s just sold his house, so time to go up, uP, UP to the moon!

Just after a Bart is the best time to buy

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
the smart money is finally here and the number can never go down again. Are you ready for bitcoin to be hailed as the world currency? I hope you have all been filling your pockets. You wouldn't want to miss this twice in a lifetime opportunity to make millions with almost no effort

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a thing. Pretty please pre-pay your stay at our care home in an completely unsecured manner tied to an "Asset" with less than no value.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47786257

quote:

Carlauren Group, which describes itself as the "UK's leading innovator" of care services, was creating what it called the C-Coin.

In the email's next paragraph the excitement mounted: "This breakthrough blockchain technology will provide all residents at Carlauren's Lifestyle Resorts and Care Homes with a safe and secure currency, whilst also removing the worry that's associated with carrying cash".
'Special risks'

The scheme involves residents buying C-Coins for £70 each, the price of one night in a Carlauren care home or resort, separate from the costs of care. The company says the unusual thing about the coins is that it will always guarantee to buy them back at £63, so the risk of investing in any crypto-currency is largely avoided.

This is painted as an innovative way of allowing well-off elderly people and their children to invest in their room for the long term - a kind of timeshare scheme which would then be tradable because the coins could be sold on an exchange.

"I wanted to crystallize the payment of the room for the foreseeable future," Carlauren's chief executive Sean Murray explained to me. He outlined a membership scheme whereby residents who were currently paying between £1,250 and £1,500 a week would buy their room with the tokens, and it would be an asset for their children after they died.

"We see an opportunity with family members that are obviously wisely aware of what's happening in the crypto-market - that has an intrinsic value."

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm just so tired of all these shartcoins.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Ehm, it’s really good, y’all

KnifeWrench posted:

For the lazy:

quote:

Curiously, the exchange also listed a market price for the coin of £189. So with a couple of clicks I bought one coin for £70 and immediately sold it - or so I thought - for £189.

The next day I found that while £70 had been debited from my bank account, the £189 had not arrived. When I looked at my account on the exchange my sale was listed as "pending" - presumably nobody is going to buy my coin off me at £189 when there are still 499,953 available at £70.

Minutes after my purchase, an email was sent to me - and I presume all of those who had signed up to the exchange - notifying us that someone had bought a coin. It read as follows:

"We want to let you know that someone has just bought 1 C-Coins at £70/1 C-Coin.

"The current market price of one C-Coin is £189.0017/1 C-Coin.

"There are still available a total of 499,955 C-Coins on market at price of £70/1 C-Coin.

"Is time to buy or to sell?"

Now this struck me as misleading, an invitation to buy C-Coins on the understanding that you might be able to sell at an instant profit.

When I contacted Sean Murray he explained that this £189.0017 market price would only be available once all 500,000 coins had been sold. That price had been calculated using a formula I confess I did not fully understand, but he agreed that the wording on the exchange website needed to be clearer.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Looks like the OG title of this thread might come true again

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Eh, better wait a few days for the corresponding dump to occur.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Because we live in the comedy dimension i fully expect the currency backed by stupidity to go up to $50,000 per bitcoin for literally no reason and AARO to out himself on a parachute account once his personal favorite shitcoin recovers from its 95%% value loss.

The next crash should be more entertaining at least

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Does this new spike in the bitcoin price herald the birthing of a dozen new crypto-currency clones?

Will the new clone-coins get pumped and immediately dumped? After which there will be great lamenting and gnashing of the teeth by legions of new investors who will be fated to rummaging through dumpsters for sustenance as a result, only to repeat the cycle again with another BTC price-pump?

Circle of Life....Circle of Crypto?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nnnotime posted:

Does this new spike in the bitcoin price herald the birthing of a dozen new crypto-currency clones?

Will the new clone-coins get pumped and immediately dumped? After which there will be great lamenting and gnashing of the teeth by legions of new investors who will be fated to rummaging through dumpsters for sustenance as a result, only to repeat the cycle again with another BTC price-pump?

Circle of Life....Circle of Crypto?

prolly not

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
:smith:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Because we live in the comedy dimension i fully expect the currency backed by stupidity to go up to $50,000 per bitcoin for literally no reason and AARO to out himself on a parachute account once his personal favorite shitcoin recovers from its 95%% value loss.

The next crash should be more entertaining at least

this sigma world line is the only one where btc is worth $3000 instead of $300000, because a million cryptbros losing their shirts and shady chinese mining operations running at a loss just for those sweet, sweet scant usd is funnier than any one of them succeeding

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I haven’t followed bitcoin since it left the funny computer subforum.

Did any of the scroungers get rich since that guy gave up his US citizenship to live in the Caribbean?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Did any of the scroungers get rich since that guy gave up his US citizenship to live in the Caribbean?

The one guy got super rich off of his drug market and had 2 houses and lambos and stuff. He hung himself in a thai prison cell, i don't know where the lambos went. They caught him because the e-mail address he used to respond to problems with his drug selling website was the same one he used on some pickup artist forum where he talked about only loving fat thai virgins, which was pimp_alex_91@hotmail.com

The guy who gave up his citizenship, Roger Ver, went all in on a hard fork, Bitcoin Cash, which them forked again into Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin SV and i don't remember which one of those he chose, but they're all poo poo.

The guy who ran a huge exchange in Canada "died while on vacation in india" and they declared bankrpucy saying he was the only one who had the private keys, but then the litecoin wallets started being emptied, and it turns out the bitcoin wallets have been empty for like a year.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Powershift posted:

The one guy got super rich off of his drug market and had 2 houses and lambos and stuff. He hung himself in a thai prison cell, i don't know where the lambos went. They caught him because the e-mail address he used to respond to problems with his drug selling website was the same one he used on some pickup artist forum where he talked about only loving fat thai virgins, which was pimp_alex_91@hotmail.com

The guy who gave up his citizenship, Roger Ver, went all in on a hard fork, Bitcoin Cash, which them forked again into Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin SV and i don't remember which one of those he chose, but they're all poo poo.

The guy who ran a huge exchange in Canada "died while on vacation in india" and they declared bankrpucy saying he was the only one who had the private keys, but then the litecoin wallets started being emptied, and it turns out the bitcoin wallets have been empty for like a year.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Bitcoin, bitcoin never changes. It’s like I stopped reading about them yesterday.

What happened to MagicTux after he went on his forced japanese prison diet and lost all that weight?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

What happened to MagicTux after he went on his forced japanese prison diet and lost all that weight?

It turns out, Mark did nothing wrong and is now rich because there’s still a fraction of butts left from the exchange, and after bitcoin going up, uP, UP, there’s more than enough to pay back customers in USD, which is all he has to do, and then buy lambos for Mark for the rest.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bitcoin, bitcoin never changes. It’s like I stopped reading about them yesterday.

The Japanese dude in charge of managing the assets of the bankrupt gox company started liquidating the remaining coins, and that's largely blamed for the crash from $20k>$7k. they'll probably be able to pay everybody out the dollar value of the assets they had in mtgox at the time, and there will be like a billion dollars left over, but mark's being charged with fraud for spending depositors money on an expensive apartment and lattes and tight shirts, and could spend another 10 years in japanese prison.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

some guy bought a pizza with bitcoin once. I think that is biggest purchase with bitcoin ever

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

klafbang posted:

Mark did nothing wrong

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Been a while since a pump that big. You know what that means. A big drop is coming.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Been a while since a pump that big. You know what that means. A big drop is coming.

what is the price now?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what is the price now?

Over 5k? It's gonna crater to below 3 in a day or so because it spiked apropos of nothing at loving all, so it's manipulation to get morons to buy in, and the crypto news pages are full of rosy articles about how if you don't jump on now you will miss out (on losing your money like a loving rube)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

Over 5k? It's gonna crater to below 3 in a day or so because it spiked apropos of nothing at loving all, so it's manipulation to get morons to buy in, and the crypto news pages are full of rosy articles about how if you don't jump on now you will miss out (on losing your money like a loving rube)

it is still thousands of dollars? Why?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it is still thousands of dollars? Why?

Idiots basically. It's below the point where it's worthwhile to mine in any country except China.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

They’re just getting ready to “prime the pump” (thanks Trump for inventing that phrase)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They’re just getting ready to “prime the pump” (thanks Trump for inventing that phrase)