Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorSniper
Mar 15, 2019

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Great first post and thank you for the :10bux:

was acutally 14 cause f*ck the adverts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
have you posted your customary FYAD intro thread

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
majorsniper fucks up a snipe

jesus christ

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

please tell me how to practice taekwondo while gardening

MajorSniper
Mar 15, 2019

orange juche posted:

please tell me how to practice taekwondo while gardening

Chop carrots, kick squirrels

MajorSniper
Mar 15, 2019

Micromancer posted:

have you posted your customary FYAD intro thread

i have not, still trying to figure out these forums.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

MajorSniper posted:

was acutally 14 cause f*ck the adverts

Adverts are pretty good here.

MajorSniper
Mar 15, 2019

yogizh posted:

Adverts are pretty good here.

no advert is a good advert unless its for weed

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MajorSniper posted:

Edgy

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

MajorSniper posted:

Dank budz

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The last time I tried to get into Eve I had to update drivers to make my text not a illegible mess. I was curious how long a go that was. It predates my present email so I checked my old one... 06, 06 was when I last tried Eve.

quote:

Robotican EXCLUSIVE 14-DAY ACCESS PASS
Making it through the tutorial was too much of a task for me, as I recall.

What this entire post boils down to is I get to be dismissive to anyone who started later and call them newbie. I'm pretty sure that's what it means.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
gently caress the newbros

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Regularly or to death ?

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

gently caress the newbros

Oh yea!

gently caress 1001 Arabian dicks!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ragedx posted:

That would take a while

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

ragedx posted:

Oh yea!

if you gently caress globby you'll go further than any woman has or will, ever

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
probably because as soon as he starts bumping them they just pay the ransom and leave

R413
Apr 1, 2019
Ugh.. its been a while since I've played EVE. Fun times with ScooterMcCabe and Lorain :)
I'll probably rejoin soon.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

R413 posted:

Ugh.. its been a while since I've played EVE. Fun times with ScooterMcCabe and Lorain :)

ok

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

R413 posted:

Did scooter tell you to buy an SA account?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

R413 posted:

Welcome friend, you should make your introductory post in FYAD. It is a prerequisite to joining the goons in GoonWaffe. Ask my man globby (1001 arabian dicks) here, I'm sure he can guide you through the process to get set up. There's a long list of prerequisites and brand new goons may have trouble meeting all of them, but I'm sure with help from globby you will be flying with goons soon enough.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Micromancer posted:

probably because as soon as he starts bumping them they just pay the ransom and leave

Underappreciated post

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i'm actually a super sexy chad, even the mittani couldn't keep his hands off me

R413
Apr 1, 2019

Maneck posted:

Did scooter tell you to buy an SA account?

Scooter also told me to send all my stuff to nullsec by sending him a direct contract with all my belongings. Its will arrive safely, he said ;)

R413 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 2, 2019

R413
Apr 1, 2019

orange juche posted:

Welcome friend, you should make your introductory post in FYAD. It is a prerequisite to joining the goons in GoonWaffe. Ask my man globby (1001 arabian dicks) here, I'm sure he can guide you through the process to get set up. There's a long list of prerequisites and brand new goons may have trouble meeting all of them, but I'm sure with help from globby you will be flying with goons soon enough.

Its alright, I'll just wait for 3 months to fit in :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

R413 posted:

Your reg date is April 1st, you will be forever an April Fool.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rutibex posted:

Your reg date is April 1st play EVE, you will be forever a April Fool.

ftfy

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015

R413 posted:

We will hammer you into a goodposter. With hammers n poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yogizh posted:

We will hammer you into a goodposter. With hammers n poo poo.

i have bad news

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There are a lot of new players posting these days so I thought I might drop some sound advice to all the new bros out there! There are many money making activities out there in goon space, but one of the most profitable is by far Carrier Ratting! It involves a little more effort than sucking crok in a Rorqual, but the trade off is you are much less vulnerable! This is one of the best guides around:

https://eveonlineiskguide.com/carrier-ratting/

quote:

Carrier Ratting [120-180+ million ISK/hour]

One of the most profitable activities in EVE Online is carrier ratting in null security space. Many ships, such as the Vexor Navy Issue, Ishtar, or Rattlesnake, are capable of effectively clearing anomalies. Carrier ratting offers much more ISK/hour than ratting in any subcapital ship, but with a substantial upfront cost. If you’re having trouble affording a carrier, consider station trading or AFK ratting until you are able to afford one. Feeling impatient? Buy some PLEX to support the site and get your carrier today.
Ship

Although each race in EVE Online has its own carrier, they are not all equal when it comes to carrier ratting. The Minmatar Nidhoggur comes out on top as the best ship for carrier ratting.

Carrier ratting involves sitting far from the rats and letting fighters clean up the site. This means that when carrier ratting properly, incoming damage will be minimal. The Amarr Archon has a 4% bonus to Armor resistances per level, and the Caldari Chimera has a 4% bonus to Shield resistances per level. Since incoming damage is low, both of these bonuses are of little use in this scenario.

The Gallente Thanatos and Minmatar Nidhoggur each have a 5% bonus to fighter damage per level. What sets the two apart is that the Thanatos also has a 2.5% bonus to fighter hitpoints per level, while the Nidhoggur has a 2.5% bonus to fighter velocity per level. While both ships are good for carrier ratting, the Nidhoggur comes out ahead. With proper management, fighters will take little damage, making the Thanatos’s bonus extraneous. The Nidhoggur’s velocity bonus allows fighters to travel between targets more quickly, increasing effective DPS. As a result, the Nidhoggur will offer higher ticks when carrier ratting compared to the Thanatos.
Fit

An optimal carrier ratting fit will focus on maximizing fighter damage and velocity for maximum effective damage.

[Nidhoggur, Carrier Ratting]
Imperial Navy Drone Damage Amplifier

Drone Navigation Computer II
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link
Pith X-Type Kinetic Deflection Field
Pith X-Type Kinetic Deflection Field

Networked Sensor Array
Fighter Support Unit II
Fighter Support Unit II
Fighter Support Unit II
Fighter Support Unit II

Capital Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I

Tracking Speed Script x1
Optimal Range Script x2

Einherji II x27

The low slots in the fit above use 5 Imperial Navy Drone Damage Amplifiers to increase the damage output of the fighters.

In the mid slots, a Drone Navigation Computer II increases fighter velocity in order to decrease the time it takes to switch targets. Three Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Links further increase the damage output of the fighters. Two of the links are loaded with Optimal Range Scripts, and the last with a Tracking Speed Script. Two X-Type Deflection Fields provide enough tank for a carrier to comfortably chain sites. Be sure to match the tank against the damage output of the rats you will be facing.

In the high slots, 5 Fighter Support Unit II further increase the effective DPS of the fighters. The Networked Sensor Array vastly decreases lock time, to make switching targets easier.

In the rig slots, three Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer rigs decrease warp time, the main bottleneck a well fit carrier will face while ratting.

27 tech 2 fighters are used (to fill out 3 wings of 9 fighters each). Tech 2 fighters offer much higher ticks than their tech 1 counterparts. Be sure to match the damage type of the fighters to the weakness of the rats you are fighting.
Preparation

First and foremost, always keep an eye on the intel channel. Carriers align and warp very slowly. Simply put, if you are caught, you will likely die. Carrier ratting should only be attempted deep in friendly space with a solid intelligence network.

After undocking, you will find a button located near your modules that toggles between your module display and your fighter control panel. Switch to the fighter display, then click and drag the square button below the fighters to position the display beneath your target display. This way, you will minimize mouse movement when switching between targets. Also make sure your default orbit distance is set to 4000m. You can do so by right clicking on the orbit button on your overview selection panel.
Carrier Ratting

Rock haven popup

Open your probe scanner. Sort the results by distance, to minimize time spent in warp. Rock Havens are the best site to rat in a carrier, with Forsaken Hubs coming in second. In order to determine if a Haven is a Rock Haven, begin warping to it and immediately press ctrl+space in order to cancel the warp. If the message on the left is displayed in the center of your screen, then the Haven is a Rock Haven.

Once you have selected a site, warp to it at 100km. Make sure that your tank modules and tracking links are cycling. Upon landing, deploy your fighters and engage your Networked Sensor Array. Click on the first group of fighters, and then shift+click on the last group, to select all of your fighters. Ensure that you do not your ship selected by making sure you do not have a blue bubble around your capacitor display.

Order your fighters to orbit an object at the center of the site, and activate their microwarpdrives so they can burn the 100km to the site quickly.
Targeting

Once the rats spawn, you should destroy them in order of increasing size. When dealing with a Frigate or Cruiser, order one squad of fighters to orbit the target and activate its guns. Using more than one squad on these targets will waste DPS. For Battlecruisers, use one squad of fighters, but also fire one volley of missiles at the target.

After one of your fighter squads destroys its target, it will come to a complete stop. It is important to switch the squad to a new target immediately, as rats can deal a huge amount of damage to a squad that has no transversal velocity. If you find yourself losing fighters, then you are not switching them to new targets quickly enough.

After clearing the field of all small ships, check to see if any Commander Battleships have spawned. These have names that start with special prefixes, such as “Dread Guristas,” and offer a chance at faction loot. If a Commander Battleship is present, then destroy it before moving onto any of the other Battleships, bookmark the wreck, and return in a fast ship to collect the loot after clearing the site. Against a Battleship, use all three squads of fighters, and fire one volley of missiles from each squad. With high skills, a Battleship can be destroyed with one volley of missiles + two cycles of guns from each of your three squads. As such, make sure you do not waste damage by using missiles on a Battleship that has taken more than two cycles from guns.

While clearing the Battleships of the last wave, open your probe scanner and align to your next site. After destroying the last ship, recall your fighters, and activate their microwarpdrives. Once they have landed in your ship, warp to the next site at 100km and repeat.

The humble Nidhoggur is easily the best ship for carrier ratting, it's bonus to fighter damage and velocity will give you the dankest ticks of any carrier. They also have plenty of low slots for a ton of Imperial Navy Drone Damage Amplifiers! Best of all Nidhoggurs can be purchased for the astonishingly low price of 819m isk! :eyepop: At that price you will have it paid off in an afternoon! To really accelerate your wallet balance I definitely recommend buying a Nidhoggur(or two!) today.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 2, 2019

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Didn’t you just buy a shitload of nids

Also aren’t shield ratting carriers getting nerfed into the ground thanks to the NSA change

:getin:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Didn’t you just buy a shitload of nids

Also aren’t shield ratting carriers getting nerfed into the ground thanks to the NSA change

:getin:

Thats fake news

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Yes new players here is an amazing thing that you can do in 6 months or $300.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ratting carriers that don't have a super umbrella are getting nerfed into the ground.

If you think about it, a cyno already prevents warping right now, so nothing in Delve will change!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Klyith posted:

Ratting carriers that don't have a super umbrella are getting nerfed into the ground.

If you think about it, a cyno already prevents warping right now, so nothing in Delve will change!

However, people who read patch notes wrong are going to think they can come down to delve and party, so the bored super pilots are going to feast.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the nsa change makes me very sad about not being able to do carrier drive bys anymore

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
New players starting to carrier rat want the thanatos for the increased fighter bay size. Also, don't poo poo fit your rigs, max speed does nothing when you aren't doing max damage.

Lastly the diminished return on the 5th anything rarely justifies the cost. Hop in 7g comms on mumble we can get you sorted.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Micromancer posted:

New players starting to carrier rat want the thanatos for the increased fighter bay size. Also, don't poo poo fit your rigs, max speed does nothing when you aren't doing max damage.

Lastly the diminished return on the 5th anything rarely justifies the cost. Hop in 7g comms on mumble we can get you sorted.

Just rat in the capswarm standard fit. EZPZ, and won't die as soon as something breathes on it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

Just rat in the capswarm standard fit. EZPZ, and won't die as soon as something breathes on it.

this basically

i think my hel has something dumb like 36mil EHP thanks to running shield commands + capswarm fit and after ratting in it today i still was getting 80mil ticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I agree completely that the goal is to rat in a capswarm fit with at least capswarm skills for a carrier. The problem is we get a new kid in Delve and are like you should salvage for a little while or whatever and then this 1m SP goober has 2b to spend on fun things the next thing they know they are injecting into all kinds of poo poo. Crapswarm no SRP carrier poo poo in Delve is fun as gently caress and your skills for keeping fighters alive is going to be trash. Go Thanatos, keep them shits moving and you won't have too many problems. You will still lose fighters at the beginning though, don't let that get you down. That's what the extra space for spares is for.

My wife salvages and plexes both of her accounts with that income. I tried to teach her how to Myrmadon rat today and because we were together, those fat 3m ticks were depressing. She only has 9m SP though so its Salvage for sick cash, Explo for not poo poo because lol finding anoms in Delve, Mining in a Venture again and any number of other things that earn 20% what salvaging does.

Anyway, the reality is your newer players can not only afford carriers, but will want to fly them ASAP so they are playing with the dudes in their corp instead of you know, kinda near by. Fit a proper tank, get on comms with people that can help you with enemies and advice and you'll be fine. Link lossmails so everyone gets a good laugh, just try and learn from them. If you wait the several months to be capswarm compliant you'll probably have gotten tired of staring through the window watching everyone else eat.