Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My parents use truemotion and it loving kills me. They don't see any issue with it at all so when I stay I have to just suck it up and watch good quality movies and television that looks like a soap opera.

Burkion posted:

On the subject of how making movies black and white that were originally color can be a good thing

Holy poo poo that looks incredible.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Filming has moved from South Africa to Tenerife!

https://twitter.com/DoctorWhoPN/status/1112750570480287744

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerusalem posted:

1967's World Enough and Time is perfect as is and doesn't need any touch-ups! :mad:

yeah that's a good episode, you can really see the quality props on those cybermen

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest problem with those Cyberman masks is that they weren't lovely ENOUGH.

The material they used was more restrictive than whatever ski-mask they bought wholesale in the 60s, which didn't let them emote with their mouths like they used to.

This is a wonderful complaint to have, for the record

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jerusalem posted:

My parents use truemotion and it loving kills me. They don't see any issue with it at all so when I stay I have to just suck it up and watch good quality movies and television that looks like a soap opera.

Holy poo poo that looks incredible.

Secretly change the settings while they're asleep, and never tell them you did it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That shot of the Cybermen reminded me:

My wife's cousin (through no influence from me, I swear) got super into Doctor Who, like, his mom can't get him to take his Fourth Doctor scar off, and we were at the celebration this weekend when he became a Bar Mitzvah. He's a really sweet kid, always looking out for other people, wants everyone to be excited about the stuff he is, but listens to make sure he isn't bothering anyone, etc. etc. Anyway, he couldn't get enough of our seven month old son, and even though it was his day, he'd gotten a T is for TARDIS book for the baby, and he was really, really excited to watch us read it to him, so I did it there while he could see it.

(The image reminded me because, when I read it to him, I did "C is for Cyberman" in the original voice, and my wife, who has only seen New Who and stopped before Peter Capaldi said "That's now what they sound like!")

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Secretly change the settings while they're asleep, and never tell them you did it.
See, I wish I'd done this, but my damned fool self decided it was more important to show the person the difference between the two so that they'd know why truemotion was poo poo, and once I had, they understood the difference and preferred the poo poo video look.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

See, I wish I'd done this, but my damned fool self decided it was more important to show the person the difference between the two so that they'd know why truemotion was poo poo, and once I had, they understood the difference and preferred the poo poo video look.

The "end of a Lovecraft short story" italics are extremely appropriate here :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Yepppp.

I showed them, and my dad said,"I don't see any difference :shrug:" and my mom said,"Oh I like it better the other way, it looks clearer!"

To each their own, if they prefer it that way it is fine, but it does make viewing for me incredibly distracting.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Burkion posted:

My biggest problem with those Cyberman masks is that they weren't lovely ENOUGH.

The material they used was more restrictive than whatever ski-mask they bought wholesale in the 60s, which didn't let them emote with their mouths like they used to.

This is a wonderful complaint to have, for the record

Yeah I was a bit disappointed that these cybermen didn't just snap their mouth open as words came out of somewhere in their body like the OG ones, that was a great creepy effect

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So one of my favorite podcasts' April Fools episode was focused on Doctor Who, and ended up really fun. It's by a goon, although I don't think he frequents SA anymore.

A history podcast goes over the history of the entire world... as depicted in Doctor Who.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Derek Jacobi is really fuckin good in the War Master like goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUQYh3qwtGM

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

Filming has moved from South Africa to Tenerife!

https://twitter.com/DoctorWhoPN/status/1112750570480287744

So if they're already filming, why will it take over a year for these episodes to come out? Some weird BBC rule or something?

Like, film the episodes, then release them. Wild idea, I know.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thrawn527 posted:

So if they're already filming, why will it take over a year for these episodes to come out? Some weird BBC rule or something?

Like, film the episodes, then release them. Wild idea, I know.

That's what they're doing? It's an effects-heavy show so lots of post-production needs to be done, and because it's a UK show they don't have the might of ILM to do it all for them. That and all the episodes need to be done before they air, we don't do the gaps in airing like the US.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See they're getting hung up on what I was getting hung up on over

If the filming is going to be done relatively early in the year, how long does the post production take that it won't get released until next year?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

That's what they're doing? It's an effects-heavy show so lots of post-production needs to be done, and because it's a UK show they don't have the might of ILM to do it all for them. That and all the episodes need to be done before they air, we don't do the gaps in airing like the US.

Do the effects really take over a year to produce, though?

The no gaps in airing is interesting, and I guess that definitely makes it harder.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Do the effects really take over a year to produce, though?

The no gaps in airing is interesting, and I guess that definitely makes it harder.

British shows all pretty much air week to week for their entire seasons, not having to generally give way to sports, or let production catch up, or what have you. (American programme airing is weird and arbitrary)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

The Good Place is a similarly effects heavy show that makes roughly the same number of episodes a season, films them all before they air, but they'll have episodes ready to air in the fall. Now to be fair, they are only "half hour" episodes, and they aren't doing nearly as many location shoots, and when they do it's around the LA area, not South Africa or Tenerife, but it is possible.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

howe_sam posted:

The Good Place is a similarly effects heavy show that makes roughly the same number of episodes a season, films them all before they air, but they'll have episodes ready to air in the fall. Now to be fair, they are only "half hour" episodes, and they aren't doing nearly as many location shoots, and when they do it's around the LA area, not South Africa or Tenerife, but it is possible.

Well, if they're only making around half the amount of broadcasted material, and travelling to fewer and less exotic location shoots than the new Doctor Who season, then it's hardly surprising that they take less time to produce a new season. I know you clearly stated this in your post but it seems as if you're saying "If they made half the number of episodes and didn't shoot abroad, then they could make the new series faster", which is blindingly obvious.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, it's not like they're almost done filming. They still have another 3-4 months left probably. Doctor Who takes forever for some reason.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Teek posted:

Yeah, it's not like they're almost done filming. They still have another 3-4 months left probably. Doctor Who takes forever for some reason.

They have to wait for someone to return enough soda cans to the recycling to pay for each episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

During the RTD era, production took 9-10 months per season. Fewer episodes now, but longer eps plus globetrotting and whatnot has got to have maintained near that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The second war master set is crazy. the persistence of dreams is just a hell of a thing

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish's redesigned website is now up and running!

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but sitting in a parking lot before a long road trip trying to find a couple audios I was looking for with a new interface was not ideal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interesting...

https://twitter.com/edwardrussell/status/1111864331858333696

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That is interesting, Mummy marked the turning point for me - I really dug him before but he improved out of sight from that point on and by season 10 and his loopy old Academic bit he'd really come into his own.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Season 10 Capaldi is my favourite. The rest of that twitter thread is a great read, and I agree, the Professor/university angle could have gone on for much longer.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

S8 and 9 Capaldi were the best from my perspective, although 10 was good too.

A lot of that's just because I think his dynamic with Clara is fantastic, though. Like, it became a show with two equally important leads, rather than a show about one big lead and his supporting cast. Bill was cool, but she never had the time or breathing space to develop in the ways that Clara did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I found Clara completely insufferable. Her joining the show is what drove me away for years

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
you should re-examine that - examine why the same egotism and confidence and flaws that have characterized Doctors for years were unacceptable coming from Clara.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 8 was really strong but part of what made it work so much for me was the way the Doctor self-corrected around the halfway point, and it's neat to hear that it was actually a conscious decision by the actor in addition to the writing. Season 9 was a letdown, but I absolutely loved the dynamic/setting of season 10. Clara worked great as a companion to the first season of Capaldi's run, but I adored what they did with Bill once he was a bit more established in the role.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

you should re-examine that - examine why the same egotism and confidence and flaws that have characterized Doctors for years were unacceptable coming from Clara.

Why are you automatically seeing misogyny here when he didn't even say why he found her insufferable?

I didn't like her in the beginning not because she was a "strong female" but because at first her whole characterizaton was a Mystery Box Impossible Girl who was like the Serpentor of Companions--distilled to be the Perfect Doctor Who Companion who literally saved every Doctor 1000 times.

Once they dropped that she was much better and I ended up liking her. She also performed a great Sarah Jane role of being a fairly long term companion across two regenerations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

The_Doctor posted:

Alien is about to come out on 4K Bluray, and now I'm curious as to how that'll look with truemotion on. Like, a morbid curiosity.

Good luck on the scene when the newborn alien skitters across the table! Everyone I've shown that movie to in the last 20 years has laughed at that scene! It's pretty cute (all things considered).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Astroman posted:

Why are you automatically seeing misogyny here when he didn't even say why he found her insufferable?

I didn't like her in the beginning not because she was a "strong female" but because at first her whole characterizaton was a Mystery Box Impossible Girl who was like the Serpentor of Companions--distilled to be the Perfect Doctor Who Companion who literally saved every Doctor 1000 times.

Once they dropped that she was much better and I ended up liking her. She also performed a great Sarah Jane role of being a fairly long term companion across two regenerations.

I wonder if she would have been stronger if those two functions - The Impossible Girl and long-term companion - had been separated into different actors. I really enjoyed the weirdness of the TIG mystery as it unfolded (the Doctor keeps encountering the same person in multiple contexts but she never remembers him) but I don't think it was a great way to start off a long-term companion.

Mind you, when they did developed her from one to the other they had no way of knowing that she was going to be a three-season companion...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hell yeah, series 8 was the best because it all came from the actor. Peter Capaldi knows what he's doing! "Blub blub Capaldi wanted to play a nice old uncle like Pertwee but mean old Steven Moffat made him be Malcolm Tucker" read it and weep BOZOS

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The resolution of her storyline/arc and the mystique around Clara never had a satisfactory payoff to me and generally took me out of the show and I didnt come back until Jodie.

Part of that too was probably just exasperation of how I felt the show was going under Moffat and was already weary in the last year of Matt Smith.

Going back to watch the last Capaldi year was pretty refreshing though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tbh I like that Clara comes across to people as a bit of a cipher in her first series (though she displays plenty of personality, so I'm not really sure why they think that) since it fits with her status in Name Of The Doctor as a stand-in for every woman who ever sacrificed herself for the Doctor (you could just as well say "every person" but Moffat was clearly trying to engage with feminist themes at the time so I think gendering it is fair). It's useful if she's a sketched-in enough character that you can project other people onto her, since when the Doctor declares that her dying for him is unacceptable he's really saying that about everyone who's done that in the whole show

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Should've had a different Clara for each ep, and as the eps progress the version in that ep begins to remember more and more about the Doctor because of his interactions with her other selves.

Kind of like Scaroth and his splinters in City of Death.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

#DalekClaraForSeries12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There's a lot of cool headstrong companions in Big Finish--Evelyn is great, for example. Clara on the other hand is introduced as an Incredible Moffat Mystery after years of boring, disappointing payoffs for those.
I was already tired of endless stupid Moffat Mysteries with boring payoffs and here comes a character whose introduction entirely revolves around being a mystery with a deeply stupid payoff. It has nothing to do with her being a woman, that's stupid. It's not like I enjoyed it any more when the disappointing Moffat Mystery was a big painting or whatever, it's just that in this case the deep mystery was actually a companion and thus could never be escaped from.

Maybe it would have been ok if Moffat could be trusted to have an interesting payoff to any storyline ever but he was and is incapable of that so I gave up.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 3, 2019