Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

Mother 3 may be the most overrated game ever conceived

Actually its really good OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sponges posted:

Earthbound might be my favorite game but I’ve never played 3. Need to change that.

you definitely should

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Heath posted:

Mother 3 may be the most overrated game ever conceived
It's pretty good actually.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's fine but it dials all the stuff that made EarthBound good and dials it up to 11 and then beats you over the head with it. The game has no subtlety at all and the quasi-fantasy setting is cute but the story it tries to tell is really hacky and it's full of gross poo poo that everybody just handwaves away because it's an untouchable EarthBound sequel.

Also the music is largely awful but that's mostly due to the GBA being one of the worst-sounding consoles ever made, it would probably be fine on something with proper soundfonts available

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Heath posted:

It's fine but it dials all the stuff that made EarthBound good and dials it up to 11 and then beats you over the head with it. The game has no subtlety at all and the quasi-fantasy setting is cute but the story it tries to tell is really hacky and it's full of gross poo poo that everybody just handwaves away because it's an untouchable EarthBound sequel.

Also the music is largely awful but that's mostly due to the GBA being one of the worst-sounding consoles ever made, it would probably be fine on something with proper soundfonts available

nah

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

jfc

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't particularly care for Earthbound and I really like Mother 3.

Heath posted:

Alright cool your brain is just broken, got it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the gba has the wrong ram

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I can't stand the way any GBA games sound even if the music is good, it's just awful

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
What's some of the gross poo poo people hand wave away? Earthbound is right next to LttP for me for all time favorite games but I doubt I'll ever bother playing Mother 3 unless it gets released on Switch so I'd be interested to hear what's gross about it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BobbyK posted:

What's some of the gross poo poo people hand wave away? Earthbound is right next to LttP for me for all time favorite games but I doubt I'll ever bother playing Mother 3 unless it gets released on Switch so I'd be interested to hear what's gross about it.

nothing really. the magypsy stuff is a little 'oh boy this could get real gross at some point' on first impression, but it never really does

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

BobbyK posted:

It's mostly the Magypsies. They're an alien race that help you along your journey.

There's one scene where one of them is drowning Lucas to help reveal his powers but they make it suggestive.

Also there's a horse/fish man that gives you oxygen by kissing the main characters.

Did I miss anything?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Heath posted:

I can't stand the way any GBA games sound even if the music is good, it's just awful

actually phoenix wright music owns

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/SuperMarioFact/status/1113456375944839169

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Feels Villeneuve posted:

actually phoenix wright music owns

I played it on DS and it was good so maybe having stereo speakers helps

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Brother Entropy posted:

nothing really. the magypsy stuff is a little 'oh boy this could get real gross at some point' on first impression, but it never really does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap2ZZ7Czeio

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

At least the gay agenda comes with stat bonuses

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some random guy definitely has reliable sources that say WWHD and TPHD are totally coming to switch.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

Did I miss anything?
Don't forget that it has an enemy called The Flatulent Ferret. Now that's some offensive poo poo right there.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
mods please remove the above post

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My advise to anyone who's always really wanted to play it is to finally just bite the bullet. Download an emulator and a pre-translated ROM. Trust me, Nintendo's never gonna gonna sell it and it's worth it.
Obviously using touch control buttons on a phone sucks but since this is all turn based combat it's never a big deal.
I normally despise piracy, but there's really nothing morally wrong this time since Nintendo refuses to make it available.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't think you could, gravity was a lot harsher in YI so you lose height way faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP2Sxh82sMw

You totally could. The comments make it sound like it was really hard to pull off but it really wasn't

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

It's fine but it dials all the stuff that made EarthBound good and dials it up to 11 and then beats you over the head with it. The game has no subtlety at all

i wish more games were as in-your-face as mother 3 about the corrosive influences of capitalism

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've never heard of Star Soldier.

I had it as a kid. It's second rate and auto fire is basically mandatory if you want to get the secrets.
Also the secrets have no tells, so if you want the bonus points you better have a guide/good memory.

I can't remember if it gives you extra lives after a certain score. 6/10

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Oxxidation posted:

i wish more games were as in-your-face as mother 3 about the corrosive influences of capitalism

I played it as a grown adult so this fell completely flat for me. Where EarthBound was a celebration of life and adventure and was very relatable to a 10 year old me when it came out, I was in my 20s when I was able to play Mother 3 and came into what is a very depressing, at times melodramatic game that felt nostalgic for the emotional abuses of growing up rather than the adventurous independence of the previous game. EarthBound is a game about there being a big world out there for you to go and explore; Mother 3 is a game about how our tiny little island was fine and beautiful before the world came in and ruined it.

The game isn't terrible by any stretch or even bad, everything about it just feels like it's stretched out too much. It's too sad, it's too on the nose about its indictment of capitalism and modern TV culture, it's too fantastical with its idyllic village life and dragons and castles and such. EarthBound had a ton of fantastical things too but even at their weirdest they still felt grounded by the contrast with the little realistic things like calling your mom or ordering delivery pizza or visiting the big city. Mother 3 lacks that groundedness and instead dives the other way where it's very clearly a fantasy at every step of the way and never lets you forget it.

I had really high expectations of it because EarthBound shaped me as a person in a way no other piece of media did (which is some nerdy poo poo to say but a lot of other people have similar stories) and perhaps coming into the game at the stage of life I did colored my perception of it moreso than it would have if I could have played it when it came out. So I blame Nintendo personally.

In conclusion Shigesato Itoi is a land of contrasts

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Cojawfee posted:

Some random guy definitely has reliable sources that say WWHD and TPHD are totally coming to switch.

Just saw this, yeah that dude is full of poo poo, like actual pathological liar.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Lodin posted:

My advise to anyone who's always really wanted to play it is to finally just bite the bullet. Download an emulator and a pre-translated ROM. Trust me, Nintendo's never gonna gonna sell it and it's worth it.
Obviously using touch control buttons on a phone sucks but since this is all turn based combat it's never a big deal.
I normally despise piracy, but there's really nothing morally wrong this time since Nintendo refuses to make it available.

Why wouldn't you just run it on your computer and use a controller like a civilized person. Could even use an SNES remote.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please only play Mother 3 on a flash cart, 3ds or psp. The rhythm game elements need perfectly timed emulation

Lodin posted:

Don't forget that it has an enemy called The Flatulent Ferret. Now that's some offensive poo poo right there.

Thank you for calling out this hateful stereotype

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 3, 2019

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Star Soldier has amazing music, everyone should at least give it a try for that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
One set of games where the 8bitdo controller is poor for me is twin stick shooters. The two sticks are just too close together and I keep bumping into my other thumb.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
Besides play-asia what are the other best places to import Asia region games for a decent price, specifically SRWT

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
We had a bit of discussion about this on the Super Robot Wars thread, with several folks complaining about their Play-Asia orders being delayed and whatnot. I got my copy rather quickly from YesAsia, but that was for the Japanese Switch Premium version and not the SEA English translated version. A few other sites were mentioned on the thread.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

Why wouldn't you just run it on your computer and use a controller like a civilized person. Could even use an SNES remote.

Obviously but I played it on my 20 minute commute each day.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sega CD Snatcher on Switch please.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

AfroGunsou posted:

Besides play-asia what are the other best places to import Asia region games for a decent price, specifically SRWT

Looks like $75 shipped from Amazon.co.jp you can use a US CC no problem ETA is the 11th.
*I have no idea if this has English support, they had a few versions this looked like the standard edition to me.

I've grabbed a few games this way and never had an issue unless I tried to pre-order shortly after it's announced. If you wait until the week before or after the game comes out you shouldn't have a problem.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dr Cheeto posted:

For the love of

In Hellblade you play a Pict woman! Someone whose home the Vikings raided! It changes the context of her journey to Hellheim completely!

In fairness the e-shop description mentions nothing about her being a Pict, but has the word 'Viking' at least two or three times in the copy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I always took it as the character is preforming some weird baptism-like ceremony on Lucas. Not molesting him.:wtc:

Mother 3 is a fantastic game and anyone interested should absolutely just play the fan translation by now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

pixaal posted:

Looks like $75 shipped from Amazon.co.jp you can use a US CC no problem ETA is the 11th.
*I have no idea if this has English support, they had a few versions this looked like the standard edition to me.

I've grabbed a few games this way and never had an issue unless I tried to pre-order shortly after it's announced. If you wait until the week before or after the game comes out you shouldn't have a problem.

Yeah amazon japan is my go-to for jpn region games but that version isnt gonna have English like the south-east asia version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Weedle posted:

And an official english Policenauts release please!