Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Then it shouldn't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm still sad over 88 lures and not a single shiny ponyta. Is it best to stick to one patch of grass or go up and down route 17?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Sounds like you left EXP share on like a coward. :colbert:

I did actually turn it off and rotate for the entire second island. But I don't need Hawlucha to be level 70 before the third island is over.

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm still sad over 88 lures and not a single shiny ponyta. Is it best to stick to one patch of grass or go up and down route 17?

It's the desire sensor working as intended. Fwiw, I stuck to one patch when I got shiny Dodrio in that same area, but was shifting between floors on victory road(this makes lures last super long) when I got shiny Rhydon.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

gently caress when is sword and shield coming ahhh

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think they're waiting on Brexit before they finalize the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Don’t they usually announce games the same year they’re released?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nodosaur posted:

sure, Guzma. That's what it is.

guzma is my spirit animal

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Nodosaur posted:

Wimpod returns to its ball because it's scared and runs away, Golispod coolly assesses the situation and makes a tactical retreat.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nodosaur posted:

Guzma's signature Pokemon being one that gives up when things get to hard is such a good metaphor for his insecurities. Dude is the best antagonist in the entire series, I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Nasgate posted:

I think they're waiting on Brexit before they finalize the game.

Talk about being stuck in development hell

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Guzma's signature Pokemon being one that gives up when things get to hard is such a good metaphor for his insecurities. Dude is the best antagonist in the entire series, I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Golisopod doesn't give up!

It's a strategic retreat. :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So it's 2019 and gamefaqs is totally not a thing anymore, is there like, a "guide" for Let's Go? I want to know how shiny chaining mechanics work, and any mons that I'm likely to miss if I just slackjaw stare at my pokedex and talk to every NPC but nothing else, and stuff like that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So it's 2019 and gamefaqs is totally not a thing anymore, is there like, a "guide" for Let's Go? I want to know how shiny chaining mechanics work, and any mons that I'm likely to miss if I just slackjaw stare at my pokedex and talk to every NPC but nothing else, and stuff like that.

Serebii usually has stuff for this, never checked for Let's Go but it certainly did for USUM.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A Sometimes Food posted:

Serebii usually has stuff for this, never checked for Let's Go but it certainly did for USUM.

It does, Serebii is cool.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh sick, I knew serebii had legendary locations for ORAS (the fuckin' Soar stuff) but then I totally forgot it existed in the last years somehow, thank you!

edit: ugh, I wasn't wrong, Headbutt is really the best STAB option Eevee gets? Since you can't Veevee Volley at will and the other options are Take Down, Double Edge, and Facade. Why didn't they give it Body Slam or something? Not asking for Thrash even, I know the gen 1 movesets are limited even with the random later-gen move additions :(

Game Freak shoulda just shrugged their shoulders and given Eevee Boomburst because gently caress you that's why take a million

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 3, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

They really want Eevee to use its other signature moves like Buzzy Buzz and Baddy Bad.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alxprit posted:

It still irritates me that Pokemon subs use unlocalized names for everything. We know what it is!

Yeah, same. You're already translating the thing to English, thus acknowledging that your audience doesn't speak Japanese. Why leave the names in Japanese? It sticks out and it's lazy and also dumb.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's some sad motherfucker out there who thinks that "Lizardon" is a better name than Charizard.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

barriard is a better name

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, same. You're already translating the thing to English, thus acknowledging that your audience doesn't speak Japanese. Why leave the names in Japanese? It sticks out and it's lazy and also dumb.

Yugioh fansubbers do this crap too and it drives me crazy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
All according to keikaku.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

translator’s note: keikaku means inclination.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zuzie posted:

They really want Eevee to use its other signature moves like Buzzy Buzz and Baddy Bad.
I mean, 3/4 of my moveset has been those moves the entire time since they first gave them to me, only stopping briefly to swap one out for another, but sometimes you hit something that isn't weak to any of the ones you're packing.

What I'm actually surprised by is that you can't just get Veevee Volley, since it's literally just Return and that not being in this game would make it stand out even more.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm boring in that I like having the subtitles actually match what's being said

I hear Denjimushi, but see Charjabug and it irritates me far more than it has any right to

It's weird and irrational, but that's par for the course for anime fans

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I hear Denjimushi, but see Charjabug and it irritates me far more than it has any right to

It's weird and irrational, but that's par for the course for anime fans

I feel like in the case of Pokemon, the localized names are so established that they feel like translations of the Japanese ones, even though they're actually completely different in many cases. There's actually some support for thinking of them that way in the Adventures manga, where X, being Kalosian, gives his Pokemon nicknames derived from their French localized names.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It might be an artifact of when the Pokemon games used to be released first in Japan and then other places a few months later. In that time, people used to get all the news through fan websites and then get used to calling the Pokemon by their Japanese name before their English name is revealed.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

e: wrong thread

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 3, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Use the French names so we get rad poo poo like "Ronflex" and "Ohmassacre"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I actually read this post before it got edited and was about to say, Pokemon (especially LGPE) is pretty easy already.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Use the French names so we get rad poo poo like "Ronflex" and "Ohmassacre"
Use the German so we get RELAXO and SMETTBO and whatever else was in the German Pokerap in all caps on screen

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah that post was for the Sekiro discourse happening elsewhere.

Pokémon has the opposite problem; I desperately want them to add challenge mode to more Gens than just 5. :(

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean, 3/4 of my moveset has been those moves the entire time since they first gave them to me, only stopping briefly to swap one out for another, but sometimes you hit something that isn't weak to any of the ones you're packing.

What I'm actually surprised by is that you can't just get Veevee Volley, since it's literally just Return and that not being in this game would make it stand out even more.

Buzzy Buzz, Baddy Bad, Glitzy Glow, Bouncy Bubble.

Fire is covered under Bouncy Bubble.
Water under Buzzy Buzz.
Almost all grass types are also poison so are covered under Glitzy Glow (except Exeggutor who is psychic and thus Baddy Bad, Tangela who is straight grass so Baddy Bad or Glitzy Glow away, and alolan Exeggutor who is dragon so also Baddy Bad or Glitzy Glow away).
Almost all ice types are also water so Buzzy Buzz (except Jinx who is psychic so Baddy Bad).
Fighting gets Glitzy Glow.
Poison gets Glitzy Glow.
Ground gets Bouncy Bubble.
Flying gets Buzzy Buzz.
Psychic gets Baddy Bad.
Most bugs are also flying so Buzzy Buzz except Beedrill who is poison so Glitzy Glow. Parasect isn't covered but it's super weak anyway.
Rock gets Bouncy Bubble.
Ghost gets Baddy Bad or Glitzy Glow because every first gen ghost is also poison. Alolan Marowak is ghost/fire so could get Baddy Bad or Bouncy Bubble. Poor ghosts.
The only 1st gen dragon is Dragonite and takes neutral damage from Buzzy Buzz, Baddy Bad, and Glitzy Glow. Paralyze, screen, whatever you need. Mega Charizard X is fire/dragon so The same applies, swapping Buzzy Buzz for Bouncy Bubble. Alolan Exeggutor isn't covered, so baddy bad or glitzy glow or something.
There are no dark types in this game.
The only steel from 1st gen is Magneton, so Bouncy Bubble or Baddy Bad, both hit for neutral. Alolan Sandshrew is also hit for neutral from both of those.
Fairies give trouble. Thankfully that's only Clefable, Wigglytuff, and alolan Ninetales. They're hit for neutral from Buzzy Buzz, Glitzy Glow, and Bouncy Bubble, but their special defenses are so high they are basically battles of attrition.

Point is, there's very little that isn't weak to one of the four, nothing that resists all four, and for the ones that hit neutral there is plenty of utility to get around em. Always paralyze or throw up a screen or heal.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Yeah that post was for the Sekiro discourse happening elsewhere.

Pokémon has the opposite problem; I desperately want them to add challenge mode to more Gens than just 5. :(

Lots of informal challenge modes already exist, although they often just end up making the game grindier rather than adding tactical difficulty. An easy fix to this is to add a clause like "if your Pokemon levels up beyond the next Gym Leader's strongest Pokemon, you have to box it until you beat the Gym Leader" to an existing challenge. Personally, I found Chrism's No EXP challenge, where Pokemon don't gain EXP at all (see https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFfCl8cCZEdCVpZs8sX8NoSXMbjR04_BN) interesting, but it requires custom romhacks.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

There's some sad motherfucker out there who thinks that "Lizardon" is a better name than Charizard.

Yeah, they're called the Japanese.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Pah! What do they know?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The difference is, a sub is supposed to reflect what the Japanese text is saying. It's not a dub, it's not a localization, it's a translation. Anything that isn't a change for clarity's sake or for readability isn't something that should be changed.

So. I dunno. Toughen up and just tune it out. You know what these things are called in the west already anyway.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oyster posted:

Buzzy Buzz, Baddy Bad, Glitzy Glow, Bouncy Bubble.
This is way better, I was trying to lean on Freezy Frost against flying (and Dragonite can eat a dick) but sacrificing Buzzy Buzz gave me coverage issues and I hadn't rethought the plan. (and yeah, good thing this is gen 1, so I can cover 100% of ghosts with Psychic and Water and bugs with Electric and Psychic and so on)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wait, so then why not just teach Eevee Return if you really want a STAB move?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vinylshadow posted:

what is being said is a language other than english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, so then why not just teach Eevee Return if you really want a STAB move?
There's not a Return TM or Move Tutor in LGPE, is there? That was literally what prompted my complaints.

(although I'm just gonna live with having a Jolly nature because speed is better than 10% of my spatk anyway and go with 4 of the fancy moves rather than 3+stab)