Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder if there's a single neighborhood/building website out there that hasn't almost immediately been taken over by the local scum who drive normal people away.

"To join this site, here are the rules. 1.) The word "human being" must be included in every sentence you write. 2.) That is all."

I live in a now-being-gentrified city and Nextdoor is a blast. White women saying, "There is a black man shouting in the street at midnight!" "A young black youth sped past me on his scooter and almost knocked me over!" "People need to STOP setting off fireworks" are met with choruses of "lol" "shut the gently caress up" and "go away idiot bitch" :allears:

You also get heads-ups when the police are ticketing people on the Light Rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

uber_stoat posted:

I read a scifi book once where the concept was they would induce autistic obsession in people to turn them into hyper efficient workers who never wanted to quit working at the job they were assigned. I expect there's some startup working on making that happen in reality as we speak.

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1113166008712224768?s=20

was it autonomous? they hooked the brain up to release dopamine when you were productive. then when it went wrong people got hyper ocd and kept doing their job to the point of starving themselves to death in addition to violating osha

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Rhesus Pieces posted:

you don’t need dumb nerd bullshit like “peer review” and “evidence-based medicine” to get VC funding for poo poo like this

all you need to do is flap your gums about wringing more productivity out of your miserable and exhausted workforce through high-tech Taylorist punishment and capital will throw unlimited sums of money at you whether it works or not

proposing poo poo like this signals to them that you’re on the same side of the class war

"its the internet of juicing machines"

"here's 100 million dollars. go nuts"

RaySmuckles has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Apr 3, 2019

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dude seems cool

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I live in a now-being-gentrified city and Nextdoor is a blast. White women saying, "There is a black man shouting in the street at midnight!" "A young black youth sped past me on his scooter and almost knocked me over!" "People need to STOP setting off fireworks" are met with choruses of "lol" "shut the gently caress up" and "go away idiot bitch" :allears:

You also get heads-ups when the police are ticketing people on the Light Rail.

seriously tho gently caress people setting off fireworks, that poo poo scares dogs and i need my sleep because i work 2 jobs

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've never been woken up by one or struggled to fall asleep because of people setting them off. :shrug: This state just legalized lower-grade fireworks and you can't buy the big dangerous finger-blasters unless you feel like driving an hour and fifteen minutes West, which no one's doing cause we don't live in bumfuck where there's nothing to do except shoving fireworks into animals and plumbing or whatever. We just want a light show while we smoke weed.

Mostly I agree, but it's largely a non-problem except for the very thin-skinned.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i lived on an air force base for two years and let me tell you NOTHING is more annoying than a heavily loaded c5 flying over your apartment building and rumbling it like an earth quake for 10 minutes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
how loving often are people setting off firecrackers where you people live jfc

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
any time sport team x wins a Big Game

any major holiday

whenever they have some left over from any major holiday or Big Game Win by sport team x

to be clear i only mind in summer time when it is extremely dry and one errant spark could send the whole neighborhood up (hour south of sonoma county)

also it scares my cats

Food Boner has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Apr 3, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I've never been woken up by one or struggled to fall asleep because of people setting them off. :shrug: This state just legalized lower-grade fireworks and you can't buy the big dangerous finger-blasters unless you feel like driving an hour and fifteen minutes West, which no one's doing cause we don't live in bumfuck where there's nothing to do except shoving fireworks into animals and plumbing or whatever. We just want a light show while we smoke weed.

Mostly I agree, but it's largely a non-problem except for the very thin-skinned.

grats on being deaf i guess
i have to put an earbud in and listen to enya for the entire week around 4th of july to get any sleep, and sleeping with an earbud in isnt great for your ears

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Old Man Yells At Smokecloud

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I used to live in the island nation of Malta, where they set off gently caress off fireworks almost every day for 6 months. They do it as a 'catholic celebration', and they specifically choose them for sound, not pretty lights. Since they do it in the day you cant see them anyway. The island is mostly city and mostly built out of stone, so the explosions echo like a warzone.

I used to work nights.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I used to live in the island nation of Malta, where they set off gently caress off fireworks almost every day for 6 months. They do it as a 'catholic celebration', and they specifically choose them for sound, not pretty lights. Since they do it in the day you cant see them anyway. The island is mostly city and mostly built out of stone, so the explosions echo like a warzone.

I used to work nights.

yeah but at least you got to hang out with Goosio

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I used to work nights.

you think the knights of malta had an easy time sleeping through the ottoman bombardment? man up

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fireworks produce absolutely spectacular amounts of fine particulate too.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Larry Parrish posted:

you think the knights of malta had an easy time sleeping through the ottoman bombardment? man up

Yea but -they- deserved it. Bomb the elites :colbert:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
hospitals are increasingly becoming targets of ransomware attacks because they're so lucrative (they'll almost surely pay the ransom), this research only emphasizes how important it is for hospitals to get their poo poo together

and of course these researchers are Israeli, they've got the best talent for this sort of thing whether they're civilian or working for u.8200, but that's a subject best relegated to another thread

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

The pilots of Ethiopia Airlines Flight 302 apparently followed the proper steps to shut down an errant flight control system as they struggled to regain control of the 737 MAX aircraft shortly after takeoff. But according to multiple reports, data from the ill-fated aircraft’s flight recorder revealed that the anti-stall feature of the aircraft’s Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) was triggered at least three times—and at least one time after the pilots followed the correct steps to shut it down.

Both Reuters and The Wall Street Journal report that the air crew followed procedures laid out by Boeing following the crash of a Lion Air 737 MAX in October, according to officials briefed on the initial findings of the investigation. But the pilots failed to regain control of the system, and the MCAS was reactivated again—triggering yet another automated correction of the aircraft’s stabilizers that would have pushed the nose of the plane down.

Boeing’s safety notice following the Lion Air crash noted that the MCAS’ automated adjustments to a 737 MAX’s stabilizers—the control surfaces on the tail of the aircraft that are used to change the direction of the aircraft’s flight—could be “stopped and reversed” with a thumb switch on the pilot’s yoke but “may restart 5 seconds after the [switch] is released.”

To prevent the MCAS from continually pushing the nose down in the event of bad sensor data or some other software failure, Boeing instructed pilots to deactivate the system using procedures already in place for dealing with runaway stabilizer control systems in other 737 aircraft—flipping two stabilizer trim “cutout” switches to the “cutout” position. Failure to do so could result in the system pushing the stabilizers to their movement limit—putting the aircraft into a steep dive. The pilots of the Ethiopian Airlines flight did flip the cutout switches, and they cranked the controls to attempt to regain positive stabilizer control. But they continued to have difficulty controlling the aircraft.

It is not clear at this point whether the pilots purposely reactivated the MCAS’ stabilizer control or if the software reactivated on its own after shutdown. While a Wall Street Journal source said that it appeared the pilots turned the system back on in hopes of regaining control over the stabilizers, Reuters reports that the software may have reactivated without human intervention, and further investigations of that possibility are ongoing.

In either case, the system was turned back on after the aircraft had already entered an unrecoverable dive. The aircraft crashed, killing all 157 people aboard.

If the air crew did follow Boeing’s instructions on recovering from an MCAS system failure, the information emerging from the Ethiopian Airlines crash investigation raises more questions about Boeing’s response to the Lion Air crash five months earlier and the Federal Aviation Administration’s review of that response.

there’s always more and it’s always worse!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
When the computer wants to kill you, you can't shut it off. Great design, good job.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

give people whatever recreational pills they want who gives a poo poo

Don't tease me like that

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Larry Parrish posted:

i lived on an air force base for two years and let me tell you NOTHING is more annoying than a heavily loaded c5 flying over your apartment building and rumbling it like an earth quake for 10 minutes

Ive lived next to a major base for 28 years and I dont really notice it anymore. I moved to newyork for a year and specifically took an apartment directly next to the LIRR because it was cheap and I was used to the noise lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

take the moon posted:

was it autonomous? they hooked the brain up to release dopamine when you were productive. then when it went wrong people got hyper ocd and kept doing their job to the point of starving themselves to death in addition to violating osha

I was thinking of A Deepness in the Sky, but that one looks interesting too. have to check that out.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/apr/02/revealed-amazon-employees-suffer-after-workplace-injuries

Bones break like mechanical parts under strain, and joints between bones wear out like mechanical parts which break from grinding against one another. Luckily with 50% turnover, human resources can easily be replenished as they enter a state of disrepair.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nothus posted:

When the computer wants to kill you, you can't shut it off. Great design, good job.

seems to me i saw that in a film once, i wonder why people didnt learn the lesson

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

https://youtu.be/rP6Flfu42Qk

I saw this ad while drunk and had to make sure that it didn't just say phones are god at some the end

Nah, it does.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1113461468031266817

this owns lol

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/rysimmons/status/1113464764859068421

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

this owns lol

I knew there was a point to those tests.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:59 on Apr 4, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What the actual literal gently caress was that?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

What the actual literal gently caress was that?

BRANDS

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i' ll defend it slightly just cause i do design work, and yeah that's corporatey as gently caress and corporations are just bad at forcing poo poo to be "cool" it doesn't need to be cool!!

the new logo/visual identity isn't the worst though; the logo is pretty versatile for icons -- the lil hockey goal/desk/staple works well as a shape to base all their icons on. it's not the flashiest, slickest design, but it doesn't need to be. which is why that video dumb as hell

more info on the identity update: https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_staples.php

also the "work is more than a job!!!" poo poo is barfy as hell

also corporate nerds:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkCautela/status/1111623398512357376

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

i' ll defend it slightly just cause i do design work, and yeah that's corporatey as gently caress and corporations are just bad at forcing poo poo to be "cool" it doesn't need to be cool!!

the new logo/visual identity isn't the worst though; the logo is pretty versatile for icons -- the lil hockey goal/desk/staple works well as a shape to base all their icons on. it's not the flashiest, slickest design, but it doesn't need to be. which is why that video dumb as hell

more info on the identity update: https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_staples.php

also the "work is more than a job!!!" poo poo is barfy as hell

The issue isn't the design (which is still bad) it's the celebratory rollout festival of lights for an office supply company's corporate rebrand

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

these people are why america is doomed as a nation

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1113610512204537861

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
That Staples trailer or whatever the gently caress I just watched was sure something alright.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Grimdude posted:

That Staples trailer or whatever the gently caress I just watched was sure something alright.

The screen layout was pretty cool though. I'd watch a movie made for that kind of setup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

net work error posted:

The screen layout was pretty cool though. I'd watch a movie made for that kind of setup.

The Thomas Crown Affair kind of does it.

Roger Ebert posted:

And now, at last, We have a whole movie devoted to photography, and the director is allowed a few minutes to show his tricks.
The movie is "The Thomas Crown Affair," possibly the most under-plotted, underwritten, over-photographed film of the year. Which is not to say it isn't great to look at. It is. The photography is by Haskell Wexler, who won an Academy Award for his work on "In the Heat of the Night."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwkB6wAxNVM

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Apr 4, 2019

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Since we're feeding literally every cultural product into Hollywood's human centipede these days, it was inevitable that Cats would turn up eventually.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Nothus posted:

Since we're feeding literally every cultural product into Hollywood's human centipede these days, it was inevitable that Cats would turn up eventually.

culture's dyin', cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Not only are they making a cats movie they're making it with uncanny valley furry cgi

Where did that start? What successful film is responsible for the enormous wave of hideous talking animals now crashing into theaters? I laughed off Detective Pikachu as Legendary Entertainment being incredibly dumb again, but then there's Dumbo, Lion King, and Sonic? All the studios must have decided to start making the movies look this way years ago, right? Who's patient zero?