Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

MPs have voted in favour of the Cooper bill with a majority of five votes.

Ayes: 315, Noes: 310.

What was the cooper bill?

E: Cat tax.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclear Spoon posted:

What's that one?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Sorry forrins, it's a shame you're upset about the prospect of being kicked out of your homes but gently caress you

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

brian posted:

I can't help that it's fundamentally the FBPE argument and it doesn't surprise me that you're getting all irate over me bringing that up but maybe calm down

edit: I've also not said that it's wrong that he and his partner feel poo poo about it either
A Good Leftist: "If you don't like what we're doing maybe you should go back to where you came from."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Can't beat [pet's name] [foreign pastry] de [random town in your county]-[father's name]son

"Venison Grouse-Partridge" is my go-to random posho name.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

What's that one?

second reading

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Nuclear Spoon posted:

this is... a good thing, right? it's at least a thing that's not bad. which is novel for news from parliament so I feel like I need to check this

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The Grauniad is saying no deal is off the table if this passes (which it hopefully will now), but can't May just ask for the long A50 extension while refusing to commit to European elections? That would guarantee the EU says no.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What's that one?

Tezza has to go ask for a longer extension.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7yoLarLDMk

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

hahahha

what is the context?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Miwwwwwkkkkk

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Coohoolin posted:

Your casual dismissal of people being loving deported from their home is sickening you loving massive asscunt shitwanker. gently caress off.

that's nothing like what I did, he commented that ending free movement would involve them being newly scared of deportation despite it not happening under labour without a guarantee of citizenship since they've been pushing for that since literally the day after the referendum, to still be scared is because now your life is dependent on the government not being evil, which it was already. Brexit is happening because of the tories, windrush happened/is happening because of the tories, thousands of people are dying due to austerity because of the tories. There's literally nothing in the specific news that labour is supporting the ending of freedom of movement that changes this, the tories if they get in with the same anti immigration rhetoric will just do the things you're worried about anyway. It is perfectly fine for him to be angry and sad that he's being put in a position like this and I haven't said anything otherwise, it's more that it's not a real change in circumstances.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Chuka doing his "WAAH WHY CANT WE HAVE A REFERENDUM?" poo poo - he either knows that this would effectively be a wrecking amendment on this Bill because there's no majority in the House for it and he's willing to risk no-deal just to keep his name in the press, or he's just that loving stupid that he'd push us into no-deal by mistake.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

hahahha

what is the context?

THE CONTEXT

IS

MIIIWWWK

e: Actual context - It's part of Gapes' utterly bizarre pro-EU speech during the EU Withdrawal debate - Reel Politik edited out the final word ("Baileys") and replaced it with MIIIWWWWK because the way Gapes says milk is somehow the most ridiculous thing about a man who is more multidimensionally ridiculous than any person even in the crowded field of the Labour Right

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 3, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Google tells me the context is a speech about Baileys, and I only have more questions.

Also I want Baileys.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The dumbest timeline.
https://twitter.com/ChrisWimpress/status/1113507516695105539

brian
Sep 11, 2001

pumpinglemma posted:

A Good Leftist: "If you don't like what we're doing maybe you should go back to where you came from."

hey this is a perfectly good jape because it sounded like i was saying that but finland is really cool and britain is really lame so that was more my point and i didn't mean for it to sound like the thing you made fun of

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

The Grauniad is saying no deal is off the table if this passes (which it hopefully will now), but can't May just ask for the long A50 extension while refusing to commit to European elections? That would guarantee the EU says no.

Would depend on the wording of the bill I guess but I suspect parliament might consider that playing silly buggers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

brian posted:

that's nothing like what I did, he commented that ending free movement would involve them being newly scared of deportation despite it not happening under labour without a guarantee of citizenship since they've been pushing for that since literally the day after the referendum, to still be scared is because now your life is dependent on the government not being evil, which it was already. Brexit is happening because of the tories, windrush happened/is happening because of the tories, thousands of people are dying due to austerity because of the tories. There's literally nothing in the specific news that labour is supporting the ending of freedom of movement that changes this, the tories if they get in with the same anti immigration rhetoric will just do the things you're worried about anyway. It is perfectly fine for him to be angry and sad that he's being put in a position like this and I haven't said anything otherwise, it's more that it's not a real change in circumstances.

Labour Brexit isn't a good thing just because of Labour. It'll be less awful than no deal or Tory Brexit but people will feel devestating effects for years to come.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

brian posted:

It is a fairly major change in circumstances though, that's the point

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Google tells me the context is a speech about Baileys, and I only have more questions.

Also I want Baileys.

Mike Gapes took a fairly reasonable point - much business on the island of Ireland is utterly dependent on completely frictionless trade, Baileys often being used as an example as its ingredients may cross the border dozens of times - and RAN IT THROUGH... HIS GIGANTIC MIND...

AND IT CAME OUT...

AS MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKKKK

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

oh so MPs want to know what they're voting for before they vote for it now. yet another privilege they demand over us

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Paging ShaneMacGowansTeeth

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

brian posted:

I mean it's fine to not feel safe here when there's a realistic chance of a tory government at any point in time but it's certainly no different on the continent, it just sounds like she's safe from the other awful results of right wing governance or is lucky enough to be from finland I guess in which case go back it's way loving better than here

lmao what the gently caress

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It clearly boils Chuka's piss so much how important Corbyn is right now.

It's awesome.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Scout Empanada de Oadby and Wigston Endelson.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This one is better IMO

https://twitter.com/reel_politcast/status/1097620614347673602

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

brian posted:

hey this is a perfectly good jape because it sounded like i was saying that but finland is really cool and britain is really lame so that was more my point and i didn't mean for it to sound like the thing you made fun of

The only way you think "go back where you came from" could ever be a good-faith proposal is you've never interacted with a racist, so,

like,

check your privilege you luminescent wanker

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah Labour should be pushing for freedom of movement. I am continually frustrated by the SNP's centrism but Nicola Sturgeon has been saying all the right things on this issue, and Brexit in general, and Labour have been extremely frustrating. I realise they are trying to win elections by appealing to xenophobes and you can make a good argument for it being a necessary evil or whatever but I have close friends who are affected by this and it makes me very sad and angry.

brian posted:

I mean it's fine to not feel safe here when there's a realistic chance of a tory government at any point in time but it's certainly no different on the continent, it just sounds like she's safe from the other awful results of right wing governance or is lucky enough to be from finland I guess in which case go back it's way loving better than here

Fucks sake

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I've obviously had far too long a day at work because I'm now thinking I need to automate a bot that posts one or the other of those videos every time our hero stands up in the House.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Private Speech posted:

It is a fairly major change in circumstances though, that's the point

no it isn't that was my point, if they're guaranteed citizenship it means they're guaranteed to be treated as britons in the eyes of the law, if the law isn't followed due to a tory government subverting it, it's the same as now. In no situation that involves a brexit do you get any more of a guarantee than that and it's arguably whether or not you do under the EU, the driver of what decides which immigrants we go after is based on the negatives of doing so, e.g. deporting caribbean people is far easier than deporting people from countries you heavily rely on for trade and whom have power and popular will to protect their expatriates, also race. I honestly didn't mean it as a big making GBS threads on the guy post and didn't know how to phrase it differently and then coohoolin went all mad

edit: and everyone else apparently

my point is that it's just as safe and he shouldn't be more worried

edit2: it's not racist to say get the hell out of this hell hole of a country if you believe it to be uniquely awful and there's better options available and you're not otherwise forced to be here (i.e. family and friends you care about too much etc), especially if you're from and live in that country but go off i guess

brian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 3, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

marktheando posted:

Yeah Labour should be pushing for freedom of movement. I am continually frustrated by the SNP's centrism but Nicola Sturgeon has been saying all the right things on this issue, and Brexit in general, and Labour have been extremely frustrating. I realise they are trying to win elections by appealing to xenophobes and you can make a good argument for it being a necessary evil or whatever but I have close friends who are affected by this and it makes me very sad and angry.

Fucks sake

By drawing a red line on "No freedom of movement" you make a vote more appealing. Labour can say they didn't soften brexit to the point where a public vote is meaningless and pivot the compromise as being a true democratic process, not what the SNP was looking for- a public vote as a procedural matter in stopping Brexit.

Stopping brexit is the right thing to do, this just allows a bit of a smokescreen in front of the obvious means of doing so.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 3, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

brian posted:

no it isn't that was my point, if they're guaranteed citizenship it means they're guaranteed to be treated as britons in the eyes of the law, if the law isn't followed due to a tory government subverting it, it's the same as now. In no situation that involves a brexit do you get any more of a guarantee than that and it's arguably whether or not you do under the EU, the driver of what decides which immigrants we go after is based on the negatives of doing so, e.g. deporting caribbean people is far easier than deporting people from countries you heavily rely on for trade and whom have power and popular will to protect their expatriates, also race. I honestly didn't mean it as a big making GBS threads on the guy post and didn't know how to phrase it differently and then coohoolin went all mad

edit: and everyone else apparently

my point is that it's just as safe and he shouldn't be more worried

edit2: it's not racist to say get the hell out of this hell hole of a country if you believe it to be uniquely awful and there's better options available and you're not otherwise forced to be here (i.e. family and friends you care about too much etc), especially if you're from and live in that country but go off i guess

It fully read like you were saying "gently caress off back to where you came from if you hate it here so much" fyi

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

It fully read like you were saying "gently caress off back to where you came from if you hate it here so much" fyi

yah i apologised for that!!! i didn't mean it honest guv

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
In regards to the Mother of Parliament's photocopier not working...

I'm off the loving clock

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jabby posted:

It clearly boils Chuka's piss so much how important Corbyn is right now.

It's awesome.

Equally, the DUP are sitting about now thinking 'What just happened? She needs us, doesn't she?'.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

feedmegin posted:

Is 'access to' the same as 'member of'?

That question was pissflaps hobby horse

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

By drawing a red line on "No freedom of movement" you make a vote more appealing. Labour can say they didn't soften brexit to the point where a public vote is meaningless and pivot the compromise as being a true democratic process, not what the SNP was looking for- a public vote as a procedural matter in stopping Brexit.

Stopping brexit is the right thing to do, this just allows a bit of a smokescreen in front of the obvious means of doing so.

I guess, and I hope that's the way it works out. It's all so demoralising though. I check the news for the first time today and I hear Corbyn is saying no freedom of movement and no referendum, and now Thornberry is saying there will be a referendum? gently caress.

I'm so sick of the part of my brain devoted to Brexit constantly going from despair to anxiety to cautious optimism and back again, often all in the same day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

brian posted:

if you don't like it here go back to reddit or whatever

i'm being constructive