Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Tevery Best posted:

That's a lot of negative events, what are your scales?

You can kind of see it on my provinces. Production 3, Cold 3, Misfortune 2. It only looks like Cold 1 mostly because seas can only go to +/-1 temperature scale meaning it is KIND OF like free points while you are beneath THE WAVES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What does end game Blood look like? I.e. Why does Blood win the late game?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Blood lets you summon powerful casters late game that summon OTHER casters or a shitton of vampires. Imagine Dracula stomping on your face, forever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ynglaur posted:

The currency to use blood magic works differently than the currencies (gems) for other magic paths. You get gems through the magic sites in your provinces, which are pretty much fixed at game start. And perhaps you control a global spell that generates a fixed number of gems. That's pretty much it, there are no real ways to increase your gem income further. There are some summons that generate gems, but spending 45 earth gems to cast Troll King's Court to summon one commander who gives you one earth gem per month/turn is not a profitable investment.

Blood magic on the other hand doesn't use gems, it uses blood slaves (basically virgins). You get those by having a blood mage hunt for virgins in a province. The higher the blood magic level on the blood hunter, and the higher the population in the province, the higher the number of blood slaves you get each turn.

This can really ramp up once you have a good number of provinces, and a good number of blood hunters. You can then drown the world in your blood summons, and also cast global spells which will kill nearly all non-blood mages over time. Once a player gets a high enough blood slave income, it's game over for the others.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Torrannor posted:

The currency to use blood magic works differently than the currencies (gems) for other magic paths. You get gems through the magic sites in your provinces, which are pretty much fixed at game start. And perhaps you control a global spell that generates a fixed number of gems. That's pretty much it, there are no real ways to increase your gem income further. There are some summons that generate gems, but spending 45 earth gems to cast Troll King's Court to summon one commander who gives you one earth gem per month/turn is not a profitable investment.

Blood magic on the other hand doesn't use gems, it uses blood slaves (basically virgins). You get those by having a blood mage hunt for virgins in a province. The higher the blood magic level on the blood hunter, and the higher the population in the province, the higher the number of blood slaves you get each turn.

This can really ramp up once you have a good number of provinces, and a good number of blood hunters. You can then drown the world in your blood summons, and also cast global spells which will kill nearly all non-blood mages over time. Once a player gets a high enough blood slave income, it's game over for the others.

Blood also has its own bespoke research path that has all its spells while every other element is scattered throughout the various schools. So you can just beeline it up the Blood path and get all your combat spells/summons/globals etc while literally every other kind of magic has to do double or triple the research to get all that stuff.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
yeah, blood's the most dangerous late game purely because unlike all the other magics you can snowball your resource used for it, that being goons pure virgin ladyfolk. the :airquote: downside :airquote: to this is that it raises unrest in provinces and i believe has a very very minor popkill effect, and unlike gems when you take blood slaves into a battle they're an actual (extremely lovely) unit on the field that just mills around the caster, so you can murder their fuel source. you don't ever actually do that though you just use them to summon insanely strong units that freespawn other units or can be turned into supercombatants loaded down with more magic gear than a max level dnd character

is bogus and his crew of heroes still in dom 5? :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kitfox88 posted:

is bogus and his crew of heroes still in dom 5? :allears:

Yes. :argh:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

every province is a blood gem site. that's all it is.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Death and to a lesser degree nature can keep up with blood somewhat due to giving you access to immortals, who kinda-sorta count as scaling negative income for your enemies, since you can just keep throwing them at the enemy, and can eventually overwhelm them through attrition. But blood also has immortals.

Of course, blood has special gently caress YOU spells that don't kill your immortals, but instead send them to hell for a very long time, and are impossible to resist.

e: Astral also has an EXTREMELY powerful income spell that gives you half the gems your enemies spend as astral pearls. Of course, blood slaves don't count for this.

e2: Blood is a wee bit broken lategame, is the point. :v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 3, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

indy pd commander: 0 bogus crew: 1

also gently caress your blood dungeons

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Blood is good, busted national blood summons are better. Disregard scales, acquire virgins, profit.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Blood doesn't function underwater for several reasons alas.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

kind of hosed up that only human ladies can be blood virgins really makes you wonder what illwinter's trying to say hmm :thunk:

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
Doubly weird given that there are nonhuman blood nations (like Xibalba) whose lore clearly indicates that like zotz maidens are on the chopping block re: blood sacrifice.

Lanka also; oughta be monkey blood in the mix somewhere.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The population die-off from patrolling down the unrest generated by Blood hunting isn't that minor. You will definitely notice it over time, and you'll eventually depopulate provinces to the point that you're wasting time hunting in them. This is why if you play Blood you are kind of a fool to not take high Growth scales.

Obviously Blood magic is still super good.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

FilthIncarnate posted:

Doubly weird given that there are nonhuman blood nations (like Xibalba) whose lore clearly indicates that like zotz maidens are on the chopping block re: blood sacrifice.

Lanka also; oughta be monkey blood in the mix somewhere.

Perhaps it's because fish are cold-blooded, whereas bats, monkeys and humans are all warm-blooded?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Its because fish are friends, not food (for demon summoning rituals)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I always assumed it was because it'd be unmanageably messy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Like that NYTimes opinion writer points out, the best way to save the world from late game blood magic is to kill everyone.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The main issue with countering blood magic is that the best ways of crippling it tend to cripple everyone ELSE too. Blood nations are certainly not going to appreciate a year one BoT, but for some reason no one else is likely to sagaciously accept this reasoning and not quickly attack you as well.

edit: Of course, if it is a year 1 BoT you're probably playing Ashen Empire or Lemuria, in which case the non-blood nations are kind of in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario anyways. :v:

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 3, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Blood trades gold for slaves, which is an extremely good trade that only gets better the longer a game goes and scales directly with province count.

It has access to some of the most powerful summons in the game
It is very easy to research since it's all in one path and you can generally get by with low level baselines in other schools and going hard down blood research as a blood nation.
It has extremely powerful and useful forged items and easy to forge boosters, some effects of which are unobtainable via other paths. Some of the xpath boosters are so powerful it's worth planning around them (see: blood stones)
It has access to the best immortals in the game by a very wide margin. you can easily win the game with nothing but a swarm of vampire lords particularly now that they retain immortality outside of your dominion.
It has access to some of the most powerful combat magic in the game including charm, AOE and single target armor negating damage, wide area fears, communions, and mother loving horrors.
It has access to a global that pretty effectively disables anyone who isn't using blood magic by killing all of their poo poo if they dare use gems

Basically blood is extremely bullshit and you are always justified casting burden of time or coalitioning a burgeoning blood power. The only saving grace is it's a bit finicky to get the hang of maximizing your harvests and leveraging it in combat. But once you can do that, it gets pretty close to unstoppable later on.

Lord Koth posted:

The main issue with countering blood magic is that the best ways of crippling it tend to cripple everyone ELSE too. Blood nations are certainly not going to appreciate a year one BoT, but for some reason no one else is likely to sagaciously accept this reasoning and not quickly attack you as well.

edit: Of course, if it is a year 1 BoT you're probably playing Ashen Empire or Lemuria, in which case the non-blood nations are kind of in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario anyways. :v:

idk. If I'm playing a decent nation with death access or really any nation that doesn't care about age, I like to drop BoT by default. It's a very good spell vs everyone not just blood nations. If cast early and maintained it pretty well wrecks both the gold and blood economies within a few years, and you can build your scales to do ok under the grimdark BoT future. Also if you are poor there's less micro which I like a lot!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

kind of hosed up that only human ladies can be blood virgins really makes you wonder what illwinter's trying to say hmm :thunk:

they're saying they're too lazy to implement nonhuman blood slaves

or nonhuman pops living in provinces

one or the other

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Does this mean the UW pop is technically humans then?

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

IMJack posted:

they're saying they're too lazy to implement nonhuman blood slaves

or nonhuman pops living in provinces

one or the other

^

Pharnakes posted:

Does this mean the UW pop is technically humans then?

underwater pop is strictly nonhuman, since you can't bloodhunt underwater and all blood slaves are human due to illwinter laziness

it's mostly tritons, atlantians, and merfolk, with a few kullulus and fishmen included for variety

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

Perhaps it's because fish are cold-blooded, whereas bats, monkeys and humans are all warm-blooded?

The stated reason is that "the power in the blood is most powerful in women of childrearing age before they actually have children"

hence the "virgin" thing

if that's how it works no reason it can't be fish or frogs before they uh

lay eggs? idk

merpeople at least can 100% crossbreed with humans (this is the entire concept of the erythean nation) and so can abysians (though i guess nobody's ever actually seen an abysian woman, afaik)

anyway: underwater shark tribe bloodhunting nation

thank you

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

idk. If I'm playing a decent nation with death access or really any nation that doesn't care about age, I like to drop BoT by default. It's a very good spell vs everyone not just blood nations. If cast early and maintained it pretty well wrecks both the gold and blood economies within a few years, and you can build your scales to do ok under the grimdark BoT future. Also if you are poor there's less micro which I like a lot!

The Ashen Empire/Lemuria note was just that they're by far the most likely to manage to have the D income available in year 1 to put that global up. It's definitely something worth considering for any nation that has the D access and long-lived mages, but it'll probably not go up quite that fast.

And it wrecking the gold economy too was the point - the most reliable way to cripple a blood nation also cripples any nation relying on actual bought troops too. Also those nations that mostly have old-age (or close to that) mages with normal ages.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

The Ashen Empire/Lemuria note was just that they're by far the most likely to manage to have the D income available in year 1 to put that global up. It's definitely something worth considering for any nation that has the D access and long-lived mages, but it'll probably not go up quite that fast.

And it wrecking the gold economy too was the point - the most reliable way to cripple a blood nation also cripples any nation relying on actual bought troops too. Also those nations that mostly have old-age (or close to that) mages with normal ages.

If people will still trade me death gems for some reason I assume it'll work for anyone else too. You don't need the death income.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

FilthIncarnate posted:

The stated reason is that "the power in the blood is most powerful in women of childrearing age before they actually have children"

hence the "virgin" thing

if that's how it works no reason it can't be fish or frogs before they uh

lay eggs? idk

Maybe it doesn't count for external fertilisation :biotruths:

E: Has anyone at Illwinter considered the implications of blood magic and marsupials? Does dominions have any marsupial races, it seems like it should given that it's got just about everything else.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 3, 2019

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ermor gets all the D

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

but a swarm of vampire lords particularly now that they retain immortality outside of your dominion.

Wait, what? I haven't played this game in a while.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
They love the D

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

sullat posted:

Wait, what? I haven't played this game in a while.

Reform time is tied to distance from the province they were summoned in (which also means W nations can use vamps now). It doesn't care about dominion you just get a longer time out if you are further away.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

someone make a mod that removes blood magic then i'll buy dom5 :toxx: next time it goes on sale

for real though it should at least have its spells rolled into the normal research path like other nations i'm confused why they didnt do that for dom5

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

someone make a mod that removes blood magic then i'll buy dom5 :toxx: next time it goes on sale

for real though it should at least have its spells rolled into the normal research path like other nations i'm confused why they didnt do that for dom5

Removing things with mods is actually really easy, you just need to put

#selectspell yourspellhere
#clear
#end

for every blood spell, and #selectitem to remove those, into a text file with the proper mod header, which you can copy from any other mod and change the name and image. If I could be bothered to write a bit of code to grab the ids for the spells and items and write the mod for me it'd be done now. The hard part of modding is making balanced changes and additions.

The other hard part of modding is that it's still full of illwinter undocumented edge cases that you need to work your way through over years of experience.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Hello friends :)

It is I, your lovable comrade Filth Incarnate :)

Ramc has been probated for three days because he was yelling at landlords (?)

unclear.

I guess the let's play will grind to halt........

unless.....

you were to have a guest commentator......... ;)

Kitfox88 posted:

For the record I like blood magic; it's good to have something that can clearly end the game, otherwise this poo poo would go on forever.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
rip

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

We interrupt this program to bring you the latest news by the Syrupleaf Fortress Story Network.

A crack team of veteran dwarf fortress arena gladiators, best known by their moniker THE PLUMP HELMETS, have broken into a fortified posting complex at an undisclosed location. From there they recovered records of the Disney Wars that went missing along with their author during the Landlord Fragility Incident. Dubbed the Catjail Papers by our correspondents, they will be released for our audience here, on SFSN! In order to comply with posting, probation, and evasion regulations, they will be read out loud by Urist McRubble, retired expedition leader.

*ehem* Attached via paperclip to the first document is the following note:

pre:
CLICK COWARD, YOU ONLY PROBATE A MAN
Turn 12! Pretender Gods who are dormant can start awakening starting this turn.

but mine didn't :argh:

No new research or sites. Some fights and events and one event spoils we won a fight. Well,l I was expecting to win. Let us see...

Looks like a lot of beef here actually.

Very amusing.

This is kind of the situation I want to avoid in general but the principle of attacks per square should see us through. Any attack into a square can only hit one target in the square, which makes it hard to focus down groupings of smaller troops at least.

I was expecting it to be more costly. Nice.

Next fight. This looks a lot softer.

My boring dudes hold the line while the sacred scythe through everything.

Hey look my prophet smite stunned the kraken nifty. You can see his defense penalized to 1.

What is with all of these pond wiz- poo poo HE HAS A SWORD

it doesnt help. He doesn't even drop it for us.

Events. I guess this is off that plague event earlier.

Give a hoot, guys.

i... i don't have anyone to send :negative:

Overview! Expansion continues apace. We might see phaecia UW soon. Also, what in the actual heck is this wailing lady ghost province?

Hiring is the same sort of boring stuff. I make yet another closed realms dude because I need an air breathing temple maker for the coast fort I am doing.

Troops are expanding. Hopefully my god wakes up next turn and we can chat about my bless.

The following note was stapled to the back of the first document.

quote:

samog
hello @Kremath please be aware that i am taking province 37 and 48 this turn and any attemps to walk into them wil lbe seen as an act of war and i will feebly poke at u over and over
also @Byrdman 43 and 52 are mine too. and will be full of fart stink and make you sick if you put people in them
im joking, about my feebleness. i have very many strongnesses and will defeat you easily should we fight.

bread bread
wow @Ganjdalf the Purple nice aggression. can we get an alliance against this guy going

how are u
marignon smells blood in the water!

Ganjdalf the PurpleToday at 8:41 PM
:smirk_cat:

Tune in tomorrow for the next edition of the Catjail Papers.

And for our next exclusive report: Is Urist McRubble actually two gremlins in a trenchcoat? Are they going to run for the arena championship? And will the spear manufacturing lobby try to prevent this?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Stake the landlords onto a beach IMO

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

would the landlords have death gems or blood virgins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yikes, again?

Ramc, I know landlords are evil and poo poo, but maybe you should try yelling at them in real life, not on a dumb internet forum.