Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Xguard86 posted:

You get a big enough pool of people and these outlier ubmensch just destroy your self-esteem.

I live in NYC can confirm. I haven’t trained in days, slept 8 hours last night and still felt like poo poo this morning. Yuns gets partially decapitated by a subway car and drills guillotine escapes the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I just learned the difference between a crotch ripper and a banana split. Crotch ripper is like front splits, banana split like side splits. Different directions of tension on the groin.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Xguard86 posted:

If I recall correctly Yuns also sleeps like 3 hours a night and is a law partner.

This is exactly why I refuse to move to NYC or SF. You get a big enough pool of people and these outlier ubmensch just destroy your self-esteem.
I average about 3 to 5 a night. I just got back home from my law firm and right now it's 11:11 pm and my alarm is set for 2:00 am with a back up for 2:30. I'll lift weights at 4 am and be at BJJ by 7 am or so. But I'm an outlier for speed of recovery and lack of need for sleep (I think the 2 are related). But there are always guys who are more professionally accomplished or more athletic or better at BJJ or better off than me around NYC. With Garry, Gordon, Nicky, Jake Shields, Taza, and a host of killers you never heard of and regular visitors like Craig Jones and Braulio in my class, I can't have a fragile ego since so many people are so much better than me regardless of my black belt.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

I average about 3 to 5 a night. I just got back home from my law firm and right now it's 11:11 pm and my alarm is set for 2:00 am with a back up for 2:30. I'll lift weights at 4 am and be at BJJ by 7 am or so. But I'm an outlier for speed of recovery and lack of need for sleep (I think the 2 are related). But there are always guys who are more professionally accomplished or more athletic or better at BJJ or better off than me around NYC. With Garry, Gordon, Nicky, Jake Shields, Taza, and a host of killers you never heard of and regular visitors like Craig Jones and Braulio in my class, I can't have a fragile ego since so many people are so much better than me regardless of my black belt.

I don't want to hate you, but boy howdy you do you make it difficult. :colbert:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Jokes on you guys, I get crushed by nobodies all the time and I don't work 70-hour weeks (usually).

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jerome Louis posted:

Going to suggest they work on more grip fighting from standing and using setups to get takedowns. Most people just zombie walked forward to try and get grips.

Could you expound on this? As a white belt (I get to return from injury next week after a month yay), I'm not really sure what else to do to get grips when no striking is allowed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shadow225 posted:

Could you expound on this? As a white belt (I get to return from injury next week after a month yay), I'm not really sure what else to do to get grips when no striking is allowed.

Hand fight. Get an asymmetrical grip which inhibits your opponent's ability to throw you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmEMbFhB1w

This pattern is a good opener with lots of branching options into high-percentage throws depending on how your opponent resists. Compare to just walking in and taking a lapel-sleeve grip - this allows your opponent to do the same thing. That means you've conceded as much to your opponent as you've gained. With what Pedro demonstrates there (and he has other videos on the same pattern which shows how it's part of a larger system, and you can work it out) gives you an advantageous grip which breaks your opponent's posture and prevents your opponent from getting any kind of grip on you. Mix these patterns with defensive grip stripping, and practice throwing as soon as you have the grip you want.

The same principles work in no-gi and wrestling, with inside bicep positions, underhooks, etc.

Now 99% of this is patience. New people tend to get impatient after about 15 seconds and go gently caress IT and wade in forward hoping that things work out.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I feel like 90% of what makes a grip a "dominant" grip is footwork, hips, and leverage, and very little has to do with where your hands are actually grabbing.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
So, Secret Aardvark hot sauce is really good! My wife and I downed 3/4 of a bottle in a week. Fantastic on eggs.

I got a 2nd stripe on my bluebelt, totally unexpected but I'll take it.

But for real that hot sauce is the poo poo, I ordered more already.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
So it's been two and a half months now since I've been dealing with my fractured rib. It feels like it's never going to heal. Im going to put my gi on for the first time since then and go to the dojo today. I'll go easy and focus on whatever movements I can until I get my range motion back.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I feel like 90% of what makes a grip a "dominant" grip is footwork, hips, and leverage, and very little has to do with where your hands are actually grabbing.

Im noticing this is more true in NoGi than in Gi. I feel like I can get away with more in Gi than in NoGi in terms of grips.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

I average about 3 to 5 a night. I just got back home from my law firm and right now it's 11:11 pm and my alarm is set for 2:00 am with a back up for 2:30. I'll lift weights at 4 am and be at BJJ by 7 am or so. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. With Garry, Gordon, Nicky, Jake Shields, Taza, and a host of killers you never heard of and regular visitors like Craig Jones and Braulio in my class, I can't have a fragile ego since so many people are so much better than me. Regardless of my black belt, I simply am not there.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Fantastic

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Lol.

I am fortunate to be able to train where I do. Today John's afternoon class had Gordon, Buchecha, Filipe Pena, Craig Jones, and Romulo Barral all training. They are here for Kasai.

I did oversleep today which is super rare for me
I worked until 1 am and tried to get up at 2. Ended up waking up after 4am so I missed lifting. So I'll do that at 10 PM tonight.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 3, 2019

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Yuns posted:

I worked until 1 am and tried to get up at 2. Ended up waking up after 4am so I missed lifting. So I'll do that at 10 PM tonight.

How the mighty have fallen...

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Anyone here train at 5star in LA?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

heeebrew posted:

Anyone here train at 5star in LA?
I haven't trained there but a lot of my teammates have because it's Shawn Williams' school and our affiliate in LA. Shawn started with John and they are very close. If you have any questions, I could ask someone in my gym. Note that we're biased since Shawn's our friend and affiliate.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Yuns posted:

Lol.

I am fortunate to be able to train where I do. Today John's afternoon class had Gordon, Buchecha, Filipe Pena, Craig Jones, and Romulo Barral all training. They are here for Kasai.

I did oversleep today which is super rare for me

Do Gordon and Felipe actively train together? Must be a crazy room

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Yuns posted:

I haven't trained there but a lot of my teammates have because it's Shawn Williams' school and our affiliate in LA. Shawn started with John and they are very close. If you have any questions, I could ask someone in my gym. Note that we're biased since Shawn's our friend and affiliate.

Just asking as I'd like to do a drop in and was wondering the details about drop ins. I have a blue gi (don't know if this is allowed), but I would probably prefer to do a nogi drop in as I've never trained gi.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

heeebrew posted:

Just asking as I'd like to do a drop in and was wondering the details about drop ins. I have a blue gi (don't know if this is allowed), but I would probably prefer to do a nogi drop in as I've never trained gi.
Probably best just to call them but I'll ask my teammates at tomorrow's class.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

old.flv posted:

Do Gordon and Felipe actively train together? Must be a crazy room
Gordon is still recovering from surgery.

Check out the picture:
https://www.facebook.com/FloGrappling/photos/a.1156337474379995/3039983796015344/?type=3&theater

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

heeebrew posted:

Seems like a call in or email and ask thing. Also, train in the gi a little bit, it's good for you.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Yuns posted:

Probably best just to call them but I'll ask my teammates at tomorrow's class.

Thanks Yuns. I should train gi, I just got one but I just use the gi pants. The jacket hangs unused in my closest.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tonight a spazzy new guy axe kicked me from guard right on the bridge of the nose so hard that I now have a migraine

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Tonight a spazzy new guy axe kicked me from guard right on the bridge of the nose so hard that I now have a migraine

What was he even trying to do?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

butros posted:

What was he even trying to do?

not get scoop passed (by kicking me in the face)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:( that sounds serious.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

heeebrew posted:

Thanks Yuns. I should train gi, I just got one but I just use the gi pants. The jacket hangs unused in my closest.
I spoke to a bunch of guys who've been there. I'm sure dropping in and the blue gi will be just fine. But otherwise we don't know anything as they're friends with Shawn so they don't know the normal drop in process.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think my shoulder is finally all healed up, I can move it completely without pain and stretch it and everything

I am gonna choke so many goddamn people tomorrow

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've been taking notes on Danaher's Kimura system and drilling it with a buddy at open mat for the last few weeks. It's a ton of material, I'm at around 30 pages for all 8 sections. It's really, really good, and we've been having a lot of success with it recently and other people in the gym are taking notice. A new black belt asked if she could start drilling with us, so I figure we're doing something right.

Thinking about what system to do next - I really want to do the Back Attack system, since I've been having a lot of success taking the back from T-Kimura and Dorsal Kimura, but my buddy (white belt, but good) wants to do "The Nuclear Option" and do the Leg Attack system. That might be getting ahead of ourselves but I can see the usefulness of knowing that system even if a lot of it won't be allowed in most tournaments.

Would definitely give a big thumbs up to the Kimura system. With a like-minded partner and some legit study, it can really change your game. Kimuras are everywhere.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerome Louis posted:

I've been taking notes on Danaher's Kimura system and drilling it with a buddy at open mat for the last few weeks. It's a ton of material, I'm at around 30 pages for all 8 sections. It's really, really good, and we've been having a lot of success with it recently and other people in the gym are taking notice. A new black belt asked if she could start drilling with us, so I figure we're doing something right.

Thinking about what system to do next - I really want to do the Back Attack system, since I've been having a lot of success taking the back from T-Kimura and Dorsal Kimura, but my buddy (white belt, but good) wants to do "The Nuclear Option" and do the Leg Attack system. That might be getting ahead of ourselves but I can see the usefulness of knowing that system even if a lot of it won't be allowed in most tournaments.

Would definitely give a big thumbs up to the Kimura system. With a like-minded partner and some legit study, it can really change your game. Kimuras are everywhere.

Right now I'm working with kimura + leg attacks. That pair offers a good dilemma because of your ability to attack different zones of the body by e.g. feinting a roll for a kimura and then backstepping into saddle. Then, if someone sits up and starts grabbing your upper body to defend against your leg attacks, they're often offering kimuras too.

The really strange thing is that before I started looking at kimuras I was hitting heel hooks and ankle locks on people. Now that I'm hitting kimuras, it's knee bars. Might just be a coincidence.

By the way: Mechafunkzilla - how's your head/nose?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Danaher DVDs are cheat codes. Can't recommend them enough.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I don't own any of the Danaher videos because well I have John right there. So I haven't seen them but I would recommend the back attack before the leg locks. Simply because understanding the back position is so important and so many people have weak control and submission from what should be the most controlling position in BJJ. As a side note I would expect John's next videos to focus on fundamentals and in particular passing since that's what we've been working so much on in class.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My coach, with his minimal english really liked the back attack dvd i got him at Christmas. He said he has a really hard time understanding the philosophy sections but the intructionals were really helpful due to him seeing less english and more body positions (which is how I've been learning from Korean coaches).

Edit - i also was really happy to try some of the arm lock technique Bernardo put up on his YT channel that featured Craig Jones and John Danaher recently.

edit 2 - it was this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9BE8kY123A

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 6, 2019

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
I've been thinking of buying the back attack dvd. Mainly because I have failed to get much done from the position even against equally skilled or worse opponents for a long time now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Yuns posted:

I don't own any of the Danaher videos because well I have John right there. So I haven't seen them but I would recommend the back attack before the leg locks. Simply because understanding the back position is so important and so many people have weak control and submission from what should be the most controlling position in BJJ. As a side note I would expect John's next videos to focus on fundamentals and in particular passing since that's what we've been working so much on in class.

Pretty sure gi fundamentals is next. Not sure he would do passing when Gordon Ryan just released his a month ago, probably a lot of overlap? The back dvd is really good, they're so worth it to just have the whole position explained to you in one go instead of patchwork snippets over 10 years.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Kasai 5 has been cool. Tex Johnson just totally messed up the no gi p4p rankings.

Kaynan Duarte has also been straight fire. Finals coming up.

Decades fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 7, 2019

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Decades posted:

Kasai 5 has been cool. Tex Johnson just totally messed up the no gi p4p rankings.

Kaynan Duarte has also been straight fire. Finals coming up.

That heel hook on Pena was :aaaaa:

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

So nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ICYMI Quintet Fight Night 3 is on Fight Pass.

https://www.ufc.tv/video/quintet-fight-night-3

It's an all female tournament.

BJJ kunoichi Team

Rikako Yuasa
Iori Echigo
Nanami Ichikawa
Yuki Sugiuchi
Akiko Sawada

Sun Chlorella Team

Miyuu Yamamoto
Sara McMann
Mika Nagano