Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Huh, I only ever bought Limbo on 360 and it shows up as available to me on my Xbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

Why would they leave composite in at all? If they're pulling analog components, get rid of that too and should be all digital.

Because you need composite cables to plug into random old TVs, since part of the point of it was that it could still fit the "grandma doesn't really know about games but wants a console for the grandkids to use" sort of thing. The same sort of way that Sony was pushing the PS2 for that "I don't know what I'm doing" market well into the PS3 years.

azurite posted:

I was under the impression that you need to re-buy your Xbox and Xbox 360 games online to play on the Bone. Is that not the case?

You only need to rebuy if you either lost your discs, or if for some reason you had purchased them digitally but on a Live account you no longer have access to.

Note that you will not be able to play the original discs for the first time if you don't have an internet connection, as the modified files that actually run on the Xbone have to be retrieved from Microsoft's servers. Once they're installed though it's fine for offline use.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

The lack of composite and S-Video makes the OSSC a non-starter for me since I have no plans to RGB mod my NES, and I’m using S-Video on my N64 and SNES Jr. as an interim solution until after I get an RGB-capable scaler, then I’ll mod them for it.

Fair enough, but you could honestly get both an OSSC (for RGB, YPbPr, and VGA compatible stuff) and a RetroTink-2X (for composite and S-Video stuff). It wouldn't be all in one, but to be blunt, an XRGB is overpriced overkill if you're going to be using any video format below YPbPr (and *maybe* S-Video).

Obviously, though, it's all up to you in the end. But it never hurts to have options to consider...

Instant Sunrise posted:

My question regarding toslink is because I currently use component for video and toslink optical for audio on my PS2, and I was hoping that there would be an optical audio port to go with the Component D-Terminal port that could embed it into the HDMI signal.

From the main OSSC page:

"Convert analogue audio to digital DVI/HDMI *NEW* – Analogue audio from your retro games console will be converted to digital audio and injected into the HDMI/DVI output (requires compatible TV, processor or AV receiver. Analogue audio output is still available for setups where this is required)."

So there's that :P .

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did someone say Waterworld for Virtual Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGdPzNdOiSs

Ugh, two more weeks of this. I should have looked at the game library sooner instead of being disappointed every Wednesday for two months plus.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
For GBA flash carts, does the EVERDRIVE require certain game images/ROMs be like loaded into RAM or something before playing them? I have an old SuperCard flashcart and certain games (off the top of my head, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones I think? Or FE6?) have to be in a different folder and are loaded differently, and it takes a while (10-15 sec) for them to load.

e: and does it support GB/GBC games as well? Or emulators? I thought I remembered it was possible to play NES/SNES on GBA somehow?

Annath fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 3, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Annath posted:

For GBA flash carts, does the EVERDRIVE require certain game images/ROMs be like loaded into RAM or something before playing them? I have an old SuperCard flashcart and certain games (off the top of my head, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones I think? Or FE6?) have to be in a different folder and are loaded differently, and it takes a while (10-15 sec) for them to load.

I don't think so? I've never had an issue with a game on the GBA Everdrive

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Annath posted:

e: and does it support GB/GBC games as well? Or emulators? I thought I remembered it was possible to play NES/SNES on GBA somehow?

You are probably talking about loading games onto separate flash storage (which will persist until you replace the game on purpose) versus loading the cartridge rom to onboard RAM for much quicker startup, but every time the GBA is shut off the game needs to be reloaded. This was required because the cartridges usually had more single-game flash storage space than they did RAM. Usually these flashcarts were setup so that the onboard ram could load the vast majority of games in full, and then double the storage in flash to hold the particularly large titles.

The Everdrive for GBA only uses the RAM method by appearances, and it's 32 megabytes which is enough to hold any normal game, and some of the GBA Video titles (other GBA Video titles require 64 MB because they had more video on them, so you wouldn't be able to run those with the Everdrive). It still will load the games faster than the old cartridges did.

GB/GBC has to be emulated with a GBA flashcart. NES emulation is ok (but poo poo gets crunched up or cropped because the GBA is missing 64 pixels of vertical height compared to a typical NES title). SNES emulation is very rare even though a lot of the games are ports from the SNES, it's just a bit too much for the system to hande.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

I thought about you guys the entire time I was working on this video.

Bless you.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

fishmech posted:

You are probably talking about loading games onto separate flash storage (which will persist until you replace the game on purpose) versus loading the cartridge rom to onboard RAM for much quicker startup, but every time the GBA is shut off the game needs to be reloaded. This was required because the cartridges usually had more single-game flash storage space than they did RAM. Usually these flashcarts were setup so that the onboard ram could load the vast majority of games in full, and then double the storage in flash to hold the particularly large titles.

The Everdrive for GBA only uses the RAM method by appearances, and it's 32 megabytes which is enough to hold any normal game, and some of the GBA Video titles (other GBA Video titles require 64 MB because they had more video on them, so you wouldn't be able to run those with the Everdrive). It still will load the games faster than the old cartridges did.

GB/GBC has to be emulated with a GBA flashcart. NES emulation is ok (but poo poo gets crunched up or cropped because the GBA is missing 64 pixels of vertical height compared to a typical NES title). SNES emulation is very rare even though a lot of the games are ports from the SNES, it's just a bit too much for the system to hande.

Interesting.

I'm tempted to pick one up, but my one issue is that it appears to be significantly larger than a standard GBA cartridge, so it just out from the body of a GBA, based on images I see on the store pages.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Saw this on youtube and thought it was pretty awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ1uYsyQ-uA

Guy basically makes real mini arcades, real in this context meaning using real pcb boards and crt monitors. I don't know why I have an infatuation with mini arcade things. It happened way before the Arcade1up stuff happened.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Fair enough, but you could honestly get both an OSSC (for RGB, YPbPr, and VGA compatible stuff) and a RetroTink-2X (for composite and S-Video stuff). It wouldn't be all in one, but to be blunt, an XRGB is overpriced overkill if you're going to be using any video format below YPbPr (and *maybe* S-Video).

Obviously, though, it's all up to you in the end. But it never hurts to have options to consider...

From the main OSSC page:

"Convert analogue audio to digital DVI/HDMI *NEW* – Analogue audio from your retro games console will be converted to digital audio and injected into the HDMI/DVI output (requires compatible TV, processor or AV receiver. Analogue audio output is still available for setups where this is required)."

You can also just have the RetroTINK 2x feed into the OSSC with an HDMI to VGA adapter, too.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I got something pretty awesome in today for my PC10 countertop. A custom made wire harness that allows you to play it with original NES controllers. To be honest, the joysticks specific for this model don't control the greatest. They work fine, I played Marble Madness and get as far as I always do. It's just not the best way it could be played, so this adapter thing is a pretty welcome addition.

I took it a step further and thought, there's no reason this couldn't work with 8Bitdo retro adapters and controllers. This adapter I don't think was made with those in mind, but I decided to try it anyways. Took some probably crappy video of the results, this is me playing an actual PC10 cart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwCT8Qo3khk

This one is of Ghosts' N Goblins which wasn't made for the PC10. It's being played through another adapter that allows you to play Nintendo games and things like the Powerpak: https://youtu.be/s3eY9_r7pBs

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 4, 2019

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

What happens if you don't turn the switches off before connecting a controller? :ohdear:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

azurite posted:

What happens if you don't turn the switches off before connecting a controller? :ohdear:

I'm guessing here but it's likely that you can provide a voltage path where you do not want one and fry something important since on things where you don't expect to hotswap equipment or have it be user facing you don't bother adding protection systems. Not all of the pins in the controller will disconnect simultaneously and that will be a factor.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RodShaft posted:

So I tested the heat of my PS3 today. It's the slim nodded, not the super slim. I messed around in the menu getting it set up for about an hour, then played Last of Us for about an hour. Afterwards it was warm on the back but not even that warm. For comparison my slim 360 was on for 45 minutes just in the menu and the side was f**king hot.

Looks like we have opposite problems with our PS3s and 360s, thanks for following up. So far all I've done is dig up a torx screwdriver that I'll modify to handle the 4 security screws along the front of the PS3. Hopefully a good clean out will help it. On the 360 front I have an S model that seems to work fine. The disc drive was a little loud for my taste but that's easily fixed by installing the games. Clearly not the worst console I've gotten used from Gamestop. When I bought it it was 100 dollars, I wonder if the price has gone down further since?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

falz posted:

If a game has a native port to both platforms, it won't. I was bummed out about this with Limbo.

This isn't always the case, actually, a few games had their 360 versions made BC even if an XB1 version existed. They even put out some 360 games in a "dual" casing, like so.

So what you get in that package is straight-up the 360 version's disc, runs normally if you insert it into a 360. If you insert it into an Xbox One it downloads the 360 version and you'll play the 360 version (so lower resolution, on the 360 version's servers). If you want the Xbox One version you have to buy the version that's only for Xbox One.

What Fishmech said earlier was correct, when you insert a disc for a compatible game it triggers a full redownload of the game from Xbox Live (so usually 7 gigs, but can vary in both directions), so internet is required initially to "install" any and all backwards-compatible games. This download package will then run on the Xbox One in a "360 emulation" mode that's at least as good and usually better than running on a native 360. Likewise, the small number of compatible original Xbox games behave the same way. You still need the disc in the system to play unless you own the game digitally, and in fact there are a few games which are only available on disc so you have no choice.

For multi-disc games, you only need the first disc, that will download a full WAD of all the game's discs.

The 360 version of Borderlands 1 on Xbox One will automatically give you all the DLC even if you only have the vanilla game, so on XB1 you uniquely get the GOTY version.
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection I think just installs the Golden Axe 360 collection, so none of the other games are accessible, you'd need to get them separately either through the XB1 collection, or the various piecemeal 360 downloadables which are backwards compatible (so you'd have to re-buy those games if you only have them via the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection disc).
GTA: San Andreas for the original Xbox will auto-"upgrade" to the 360 HD version, with a more limited soundtrack and some other concessions since it's a port of the mobile version of the game.
You might have some trouble with "GOTY" versions of games where it was one vanilla game disc and then a second disc of DLC, at least as far as getting access to the DLC is concerned.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So you're saying I don't have to pay for horse armor, sweet!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

falz posted:

So you're saying I don't have to pay for horse armor, sweet!

Well, not twice, anyway.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I asked about this on the Discord, but I thought I'd make a post here about it as well: I watched LGR's video on making a custom Playstation Classic with a Raspberry Pi, and I thought I'd try making one as well.

However, I wanted to know if there was in the build that was provided in the video that could be updated or changed. Tthe video was published in December, but I don't know if there are any new versions of the Raspberry that have come out since then.

The one aspect that has me really apprehensive about trying to build one (apart from most everything) is installing the heat-sink, since I don't know how you'd apply to the board. Somewhere I heard you could just glue it on without needing anything special.

I will say that I'm not interested in having it encased in a replica-PS1 case; I'd rather opt for a regular Raspberry Pi case, especially if it would help with ventilation or whatever. In addition, I didn't want to just emulate PS1 on it. I'd also like to try Sega Saturn emulation (which may or may not be possible), along with whatever else I could run on it.

Has anyone in the thread tried building one?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Annath posted:

Interesting.

I'm tempted to pick one up, but my one issue is that it appears to be significantly larger than a standard GBA cartridge, so it just out from the body of a GBA, based on images I see on the store pages.

The Ez Flash Omega is really nice, imo. It's what I'm using these days and I dig it a lot. Comes with an alternate face that fits flush into a ds lite slot too

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 4, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Max Wilco posted:

However, I wanted to know if there was in the build that was provided in the video that could be updated or changed. Tthe video was published in December, but I don't know if there are any new versions of the Raspberry that have come out since then.

The one aspect that has me really apprehensive about trying to build one (apart from most everything) is installing the heat-sink, since I don't know how you'd apply to the board. Somewhere I heard you could just glue it on without needing anything special.

There's a Pi3B+ now but it uses the same image as the 2/3/B. Most heatsinks come with a sticky thermal pad, you just plop it on to the CPU.

Saturn doesn't work well at all even on an overclocked Pi3B+, don't bother. The Retropie wiki has a good list of consoles/systems/etc and what you can expect from each one.

There's a Pi thread here, also: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831406

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a Pi3B+ now but it uses the same image as the 2/3/B. Most heatsinks come with a sticky thermal pad, you just plop it on to the CPU.

Saturn doesn't work well at all even on an overclocked Pi3B+, don't bother. The Retropie wiki has a good list of consoles/systems/etc and what you can expect from each one.

There's a Pi thread here, also: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831406

I sort of figured Sega Saturn wouldn't work, since I was told in the Discord yesterday that Saturn emulation requires you to have a lot of power behind it. I can still do it through my PC, though.

I'll make a post over in thread, since it lines up a bit more with what I'm looking to do. Thanks for the link.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Ez Flash Omega is really nice, imo. It's what I'm using these days and I dig it a lot. Comes with an alternate face that fits flush into a ds lite slot too

Interesting. Have you had any of the issues they mention here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/8knnys/psa_hold_off_on_getting_an_ez_flash_omega/

Its been almost a year, so they may have been resolved.

E: Some comments online (for multiple different flash carts) are saying that they don't work well on "AGS-101" GBAs? Which I think are the original GBAs modded with the SP Backlights? Is that legit? How does a screen mod affect a flash cart?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-omega-doesnt-save-a-single-game-ags-101.503885/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/about-the-ags-101-issue.503925/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/random-crashes-on-ez-flash-omega.504107/

Annath fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 4, 2019

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

From the main OSSC page:

Toslink isn’t analog audio, it’s digital. It’s what the PS2 and Xbox use for digital audio output.

If you have a PS2 hooked up using it, you can get surround audio in some PS2 games (known examples include 4.0 DTS surround in GTA:VC, and 5.1 in MGS2 & FFX’s FMVs) and in quite a few original Xbox games, since it had the hardware to encode 5.1 AC3 on the fly.

Re: OSSC. As far as I’m aware, the only store selling it is only shipping to Europe at the moment, plus I would have to add a retrotink + HDMI to VGA adapter just to get composite or S-Video to work. Looking at it together, that’s pretty much a wash.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 4, 2019

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
For what it's worth, the heatsinks I've applied to my Pis came with little adhesive pads on them, you just peel off the paper and stick them right on. Super easy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Annath posted:

How does a screen mod affect a flash cart?

I don't actually know if this is legit, but I could easily see the screen mod drawing too much power for a flash cart, which tend to be more power-intensive than a normal cart.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Annath posted:

Interesting. Have you had any of the issues they mention here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/8knnys/psa_hold_off_on_getting_an_ez_flash_omega/

E: Some comments online (for multiple different flash carts) are saying that they don't work well on "AGS-101" GBAs? Which I think are the original GBAs modded with the SP Backlights? Is that legit? How does a screen mod affect a flash cart?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-omega-doesnt-save-a-single-game-ags-101.503885/

AGS-101 is actually the second revision of the SP with the backlight instead of a frontlight, not a modded original GBA. It sounds like something about that hardware revision doesn't play well with the EZ Flash Omega. FWIW I have an AGS-101 and a GBA Everdrive and it works flawlessly. It does stick out a little bit but it doesn't bother me much.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

univbee posted:

I don't actually know if this is legit, but I could easily see the screen mod drawing too much power for a flash cart, which tend to be more power-intensive than a normal cart.

That’s probably pretty likely. Considering Nintendo handhelds were designed to be as power-efficient as possible, messing with the current needs of the system too much could cause some issues for sure.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

This is what happened when I made the mistake of modding a backlight to a game boy pocket. It suddenly didn't have enough juice on two batteries to power it, the screen, and the everdrive I had, so everytime it tried to load the firmware it would reset. Trying to use higher capacity batteries or plugging it into an adapter didn't fix the problem.

It also supposedly makes it drain cartridge batteries when the batteries are close to empty but I never got far enough to try, the ribbon cable got jostled after a certain point and just broke the screen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Incidentally if anyone knows, what would be the cause of a stock AGS-101 SP hard powering off after about 20 seconds on a full charge? A bad battery, or something worse?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Deadguy2322 posted:

That’s probably pretty likely. Considering Nintendo handhelds were designed to be as power-efficient as possible, messing with the current needs of the system too much could cause some issues for sure.

Well, I hope my current flash cart doesn't have that issue. It works with my GB Micro, which has a backlight I believe, but that is also a smaller screen?

I bought a modded Original GBA with the backlight (in my childhood fav - Atomic Purple) and if it doesn't work with my cart I'll be a sad panda :saddowns:

In other news, I have spent like an hour with Visual Boy Advance and 15 year old GameFAQS text docs playing Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 and making a save with "as-close-to-legit-as-possible" versions of the 3 Nintendo-Event-only monsters that I lusted after in the pages of Nintendo Power as a kid. Yay for the internet finally allowing me to realize a petty childhood dream. Now to get that .sav file onto my flash cart and go play the game...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

univbee posted:

Incidentally if anyone knows, what would be the cause of a stock AGS-101 SP hard powering off after about 20 seconds on a full charge? A bad battery, or something worse?

My first assumption would be bad battery.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Is there a huge visual difference between YPbPr and RGB? Ive looked around for visual comparisons and any writing on the topic and haven't seen anything that is definitive or clarifying so i'm just gonna turn to this thread to see what's up

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Chucktesla posted:

Is there a huge visual difference between YPbPr and RGB? Ive looked around for visual comparisons and any writing on the topic and haven't seen anything that is definitive or clarifying so i'm just gonna turn to this thread to see what's up

No significant difference. Some systems that do both can have slight differences in terms of contrast, brightness and saturation because of how they handle signal paths for converting RGB to YPbPr, but it’s so slight that it’s basically the placebo effect.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chucktesla posted:

There's no real major difference in quality. YPbPr might have a bit less color fidelity because of how it works (the green color channel actually carries sync and brightness signals, with the color signal re-derived on the display end), but the prime differences are the signal formatting, display support, and what standard various devices actually output.

That's the basic answer, but if you have a more specific question, feel free to ask away.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

univbee posted:

It doesn't. I've got an AGB-101 and the EZFlash Omega works great

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Annath posted:

Literally none, I play it on an agb-101 and an ags-101 every day (one for home, one for on the go) with no issues. Maybe it was an early issue that got fixed? Idk, it's fine for me!

Unrelated but a friend was moving and decided to unload a bunch of their games and gave them to me because they didn't care and knew I'd enjoy them

https://twitter.com/SeeSpotGoranger/status/1113994818135429120?s=19

(Apologies for linking my own tweet, it's the easiest way to post a bunch of pictures on mobile)

Also came with a seriously mint psp-3000 (which is probably getting a battery mod once I assemble the Freeplay, it's such a beautiful thing) and a decent shape DS lite

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Last question re: GBA flashcarts, and if this is too close to :filez: please ignore it:

Is there a way to play Game Boy/Game Boy Color games on a GBA flashcart other than Goomba?

I don't know if it's an issue with the cart I have (EZ Flash IV?) or what, but it isn't saving the games correctly. I use the in game save function, and the emulator creates a .sav file, but subsequently loading the gbc game acts like there are now saves.

That combined with the fact that Goomba requires you to bundle all the gb games into one GBA file, and thus only creates one sav file, makes it a huge pain to use.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*sees the third birthday*

your friend made out like a bandit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Annath posted:

Last question re: GBA flashcarts, and if this is too close to :filez: please ignore it:

Is there a way to play Game Boy/Game Boy Color games on a GBA flashcart other than Goomba?

I don't know if it's an issue with the cart I have (EZ Flash IV?) or what, but it isn't saving the games correctly. I use the in game save function, and the emulator creates a .sav file, but subsequently loading the gbc game acts like there are now saves.

That combined with the fact that Goomba requires you to bundle all the gb games into one GBA file, and thus only creates one sav file, makes it a huge pain to use.

Omega has built in emulators other than that no because of the way the backwards compatibility works

I also haven't tried the emulators on hat tho