Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Just look at it this way, you're (probably) mature enough to get your first tattoo and not regret it. I wish 18 year old me didn't pick those cool flames off the wall, but hey, at least they're not on my wrist.
I got my first tattoos on my wrists :smith:

Palemdromes posted:

But what do you even get at that point. If I felt strongly enough about something that I’d get it as a tattoo, I’d have gotten it years ago. But an Andrew Bird or Against Me! tattoo seems pretty lame these days, so I’m glad I didn’t get one when I cared about stuff. Obviously the answer is who cares, but I just had some 20s people tell me I should follow my heart and it’s making me question my life long dedication to not getting a tattoo.

Palemdromes posted:

My point is more that anything meaningful to me at any stage of life is subject to regret and ridicule later on

HazCat's post has some good advice. Start by finding an artist in your area whose style you like and scour their portfolio. Maybe you'll come up with a concept inspired by something they've done, maybe you'll find a piece of flash of theirs you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Palemdromes posted:

I feel like you need to have had that moment when you’re younger, where you get a dumb tattoo and realize that nothing you do to your lovely skin matters since you already ruined it, and waiting until you’re “mature” enough to get one just ensures you’re smart and experienced enough to know it’s a bad idea all around. I feel like I’ve missed that point of no return and now I can’t really get back there even if I might want to.

Stupidity knows no age, get something that people will make fun of, then tell yourself it's for you, not them, then realize it's for everyone and get something that everyone else also loves.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

From the other tattoo thread:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I like it

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Palemdromes posted:

I feel like you need to have had that moment when you’re younger, where you get a dumb tattoo and realize that nothing you do to your lovely skin matters since you already ruined it, and waiting until you’re “mature” enough to get one just ensures you’re smart and experienced enough to know it’s a bad idea all around. I feel like I’ve missed that point of no return and now I can’t really get back there even if I might want to.

I got my first tattoo at 32 and I'm honestly kinda glad I waited because I was able to realize that "meaningful" tattoos lose their meaning pretty quick and you should just get some art you enjoy on you.

The idea of there being an age limit on these kinds of things is kinda silly.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Andos El Pantos posted:

I got my first tattoo at 32 and I'm honestly kinda glad I waited because I was able to realize that "meaningful" tattoos lose their meaning pretty quick and you should just get some art you enjoy on you.

The idea of there being an age limit on these kinds of things is kinda silly.

It's not exactly the same but I'm 39 and I have a bunch of piercings. I get them because I think they're fun and I like them. Who cares if I'm like 10 years older than the piercers. Most of them are like "cool!"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Palemdromes posted:

It sounds like you're a wet blanket and a pussy, so you probably shouldn't get a tattoo.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

gamera009 posted:

From the other tattoo thread:

It doesn't surprise me at all that this isn't to many goon tastes, but it's mine and I love it :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Instead of getting something meaningful just get an eagle or a pizza reaper then you don't have to worry about it becoming uncool.

In any case, I'm pretty sure I was 32 when I got my first. I now have 7 and want more.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Count me in on the over-30 tattoo crowd. I’m happy I waited because now I have rad tattoos and not a lot of poor life decisions.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got two pieces at 21, my dead dad and my favorite fish. I waited 18 years for my third, a giant lightning bolt throwing squid, and another year for my twin children.

Do your thang man.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I liked flowers and the moon and old printers’ decorations at 20, and I still like them at 54.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Frozen Peach posted:

It doesn't surprise me at all that this isn't to many goon tastes, but it's mine and I love it :colbert:

You have a good tattoo that doesn't belong in this thread, and if I showed this to my wife she'd probably steal the design for herself. She just got her first tattoo at 34 and it's also some nerdy Zelda poo poo that we both love

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You have a good tattoo that doesn't belong in this thread, and if I showed this to my wife she'd probably steal the design for herself. She just got her first tattoo at 34 and it's also some nerdy Zelda poo poo that we both love

My first tattoo was at 33... and I proceeded to get 3 tattoos that year. I turn 35 this month and am planning my 4th and 5th tattoos. :dance:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Why'd you cut out his reaction?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Didn't we used to not post tattoos from the other thread?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

LingcodKilla posted:

a giant lightning bolt throwing squid

Does the lightening bolt have hands and arms or how does it throw the squid?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Hey, some people want to poo poo talk other Goons, but hope that the other goon doesn't see it!

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Shoehead posted:

People usually roast people in that thread if they have bad tattoos by bad artists, most of them, incidentally, are vidja jaymes related.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

titties posted:

Nah the lightening bolt is what you feel right before you give birth.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

AlbieQuirky posted:

I liked flowers and the moon and old printers’ decorations at 20, and I still like them at 54.

I am a tattooed print geek (I work at a commercial print company) and I would like to know more about these printers' decorations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Palemdromes posted:

My point is more that anything meaningful to me at any stage of life is subject to regret and ridicule later on

Take it from me: there's cover ups and/or lasers.

That laser kinda hurts though.

Be sure to thoroughly vet your tattoo artist, folks!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I am a tattooed print geek (I work at a commercial print company) and I would like to know more about these printers' decorations.

These are pretty great. This book has some amazing poo poo. This is a huge set.

A lot of font designers have made sets of ornaments; I really like these.

Edit to add: this book is fantastic, also.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Apr 4, 2019

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

All of those are beautifully glorious. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apparently embroidery is the new watercolor.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

poo poo, my dad got his first (and only) tattoo to celebrate his 50th birthday. (It's the Mr. Horsepower tattoo H.I. McDunnough had in Raising Arizona.)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I feel bad for people getting these.They look cool now, but the same tattoo more traditionally done will last way longer and take up a lot less time and money being done.

Most of the examples of embroidery tattoo I have seen at least have black outlines like a patch on a jacket, though. This thing is a new level of waste.

HungryMedusa has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Apr 4, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Endless Mike posted:

All those tiny lines are just going to melt with age aren't they?

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

It'll just morph into a piñata that gets more beat up with age.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki posted:

poo poo, my dad got his first (and only) tattoo to celebrate his 50th birthday. (It's the Mr. Horsepower tattoo H.I. McDunnough had in Raising Arizona.)

Yeah. We’re gonna need some pictures of that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

titties posted:

Boo you I know you’ve seen it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It's not even good embroidery! What the gently caress!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sleppy posted:

a piñata that gets more beat up with age.

me, doxxing, do not, etcetera

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Palemdromes posted:

Is 32 too late to get a tattoo?

My mom got her first tattoo at 60.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I just got my first tattoo at 38. I was warned that they're addicting and it's definitely true; I've got a lot of lost time to make up for.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Robokomodo posted:

My mom got her first tattoo at 60.

Same but my mom was 63! She, my pops, and I all got matching tattoos :swoon:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Twitter Account posted:

I just got my first tattoo at 38. I was warned that they're addicting and it's definitely true; I've got a lot of lost time to make up for.

is that you in your av

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No pictures of the tattoo in question sadly, but I thought this might fit here:

My [22f] boyfriend’s [24m] new tattoo makes me feel like a pedophile

quote:

tl;dr- My boyfriend got a massive tattoo of his recently deceased six-year-old brother on his chest and I can’t stop making eye contact with it during sex.

There's two updates, and it's a pretty heartbreaking story, with the twist reveal that her boyfriend's sister forced him to get the tattoo to intentionally try and break the two of them up :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wear a tee Shirt? My dead dad, two creepy cartoon children, a squid and a fish all stare straight ahead my wife. Boohoo.