Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yo Moot. What is the deal with the avalanche in temptation bowl? The news keeps saying they entered illegally into closed terrain. The CAIC just says they went out the boundary rope. There looks like a bunch of Gates up there. Curious what the actual deal was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Moreso in the vein of actual good boarders/skiers doing insane feats of riding but treating it with a sense of fun and levity and riffing/pranking on fellow riders. No scripted movies.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Tempter chute, despite being one of the more famous trophy lines in Bear Creek, is permanently closed. There’s no way to get there through the legal BC gates, so they can prove they ducked a rope and are pursuing felony charges. Turns out I sorta know the guy who set off the slide and he is not in a good spot right now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

Tempter chute, despite being one of the more famous trophy lines in Bear Creek, is permanently closed. There’s no way to get there through the legal BC gates, so they can prove they ducked a rope and are pursuing felony charges. Turns out I sorta know the guy who set off the slide and he is not in a good spot right now.

Dang, yeah. That has to be pretty heavy.

I read some stuff about them closing it, then opening it, then closing it. It was kind of confusing. I was trying to piece it all together in Google maps and with the trail map.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Multiple slides, some that are brand new paths, have hit the bear creek hiking trail this year. The theoretical defense argument being that it was really dangerous to be skinning up during a heavy avalanche season and it just happened to be skier triggered, but that’s a fairly weak argument.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Agreed. The area is closed so... I could see if it was another area that is not closed being different.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Backcountry was tasty today. No one else showed up until our third lap and we were heading out.

https://youtu.be/ZnJc2-Mc134

https://youtu.be/Jh7ZD9vT8LI

https://youtu.be/HqnS3RueMBw

https://youtu.be/XD3qpmD6UVU

First two my buddy, last two me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pictures

Going up

I almost stepped on these birds. They flew out just in time.

Booting across to our third run. My buddy is in there somewhere.

Views and stuff. My buddy in the photo.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was a big rear end day.

https://strava.app.link/3cLljKbawV

The morning glow

Mount Toll in the distance

Me skinning up

My buddy setting track

Time to start booting

My buddy breaking trail

Almost there

Finally at the top

Almost ready to go down

Looking back up

Video of my buddy booting
https://youtu.be/jFzcuedbecs

Video topping out
https://youtu.be/1uVMKoi804Y

My buddy tip toeing (guess he was worried about the bit of crust)
https://youtu.be/3weM4YqWJ1Q

Me heading down (vertical video... Come on man)
https://youtu.be/F7QvjXSm0Xc

All in all a great day and really a great weekend. We probably were the first people to ski the peak this year.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey so I’m moving to warmer weather and with a newborn I don’t have any time to ski with some new gear I bought two years ago.

I’ve used the boots and skis a total of 4 times and I’m wondering what I should be able to get for them.

The skis are volkl RTM 75 with 4 motion bindings in size 166.

Here’s a link to specifications:

https://www.coloradoskishop.com/Vol...=shoppingengine

The boots are tecnica Mach 1 MV size 26.5 boots.

Any ideas? Just looking to get rid of them so I don’t have to move with them. The skis will include some poles and a bag, and the boots come with a bag as well.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

nwin posted:

Hey so I’m moving to warmer weather and with a newborn I don’t have any time to ski with some new gear I bought two years ago.

I’ve used the boots and skis a total of 4 times and I’m wondering what I should be able to get for them.

Any ideas? Just looking to get rid of them so I don’t have to move with them. The skis will include some poles and a bag, and the boots come with a bag as well.

What is the flex on the boots? It looks like the MV range goes from 100-130 and that can influence the price by a bit I would imagine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What is the flex on the boots? It looks like the MV range goes from 100-130 and that can influence the price by a bit I would imagine.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Being a slightly softer flex might adjust the price down a bit, but maybe not substantially. Do you think they are a tight/just right/loose fit for the size? The reason I ask is because that is my size, but I have found that Dalbello boots (the favored boot of the local store) really don't fit quite right and are tight on top of all places... I just purchased some Dalbello MX 90s and, well, unfortunately their shape tortures my feet so I am looking into new boots to replace the new new boots with. So, that being said, I feel it would be inappropriate to give you price advice because my level of knowledge just isn't there, and I could be interested in acquiring them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

Where do you live? I'm looking to get something used in that skill range and am in Denver.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Watched Hot Dog recently; what an amazing movie. So much better than the double feature, Aspen Extreme (though the skiing in that movie was pretty epic for 93). Last time I took a tumble on the hill my wife asked what happened, I told her I was mixing a drink and ran into a tree.

But more importantly, I just picked up my new board, a Niche Story.

Now I'm looking at a solid set of bindings for all mountain riding. The Union Atlas looks like the right beast, but the Union Strata is newer and has a better price point. I know it's more of a freestyle binding but to what extent is that going to affect me with a fairly stiff board?

Are there any bindings I should be looking at otherwise?

Zisky fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 1, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Being a slightly softer flex might adjust the price down a bit, but maybe not substantially. Do you think they are a tight/just right/loose fit for the size? The reason I ask is because that is my size, but I have found that Dalbello boots (the favored boot of the local store) really don't fit quite right and are tight on top of all places... I just purchased some Dalbello MX 90s and, well, unfortunately their shape tortures my feet so I am looking into new boots to replace the new new boots with. So, that being said, I feel it would be inappropriate to give you price advice because my level of knowledge just isn't there, and I could be interested in acquiring them.

They’re tight for me on the sides and the top. I wear a size 10 running shoe.

ShaneB posted:

Where do you live? I'm looking to get something used in that skill range and am in Denver.

I’m in Massachusetts.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Today was a big rear end day.

https://strava.app.link/3cLljKbawV

The morning glow

Mount Toll in the distance

Me skinning up

My buddy setting track

Time to start booting

My buddy breaking trail

Almost there

Finally at the top

Almost ready to go down

Looking back up

Video of my buddy booting
https://youtu.be/jFzcuedbecs

Video topping out
https://youtu.be/1uVMKoi804Y

My buddy tip toeing (guess he was worried about the bit of crust)
https://youtu.be/3weM4YqWJ1Q

Me heading down (vertical video... Come on man)
https://youtu.be/F7QvjXSm0Xc

All in all a great day and really a great weekend. We probably were the first people to ski the peak this year.

Looks like an awesome adventure! Pictures/videos are sick

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Looks like an awesome adventure! Pictures/videos are sick

Thanks man. I am hoping to get a bunch of big lines in for April and May. I will keep the posts coming.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Your pictures and videos are awesome spwrozek. I am envious.

Also my old sedan is about to die and I need to buy a new vehicle. I love sports cars but I need this to have some utility as a regular ski trip vehicle. Also I like stick but my wife refuses to drive one so it needs auto. Also it needs AWD or 4WD.

Any recommendations for a regular ski trip vehicle? SUV wise I was looking at the Q7, Kia Telluride, VW Atlas base Cayenne, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, Mazda CX5.

Hatchbacks and station wagons considered include the A5/S5/RS5 Sportbacks, the A4 Allroad, the Golf R, etc.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
4th gen 4runner if you can find one that's been cared for. they're all equipped with a torsen center diff so they're 4H all the time

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'd say get a Subaru Outback but you probably think it's ugly haha. I got a Crosstrek a couple years ago and I love it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Now I'm looking at a solid set of bindings for all mountain riding. The Union Atlas looks like the right beast, but the Union Strata is newer and has a better price point. I know it's more of a freestyle binding but to what extent is that going to affect me with a fairly stiff board?

Are there any bindings I should be looking at otherwise?

Everybody that I know who's ridden Stratas has done nothing but gush about them. In a similar style, I'd suggest taking a look at the Flux TMs or DSs (depending on how stiff you want the highback). I like Union but have had enough issues with ankle strap bolts coming loose that I'm kinda done with them. It doesn't hurt that Flux are perfect for me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The Foz is the new state car of Colorado. I have an Outback. 3rd or 4th Gen 4Runner would also be good if you can stomach the gas mileage and the body on frame. Wouldn’t buy a Jeep.

highme
May 25, 2001

picked up a 3rd gen 4Runner (2002 SR5) at the beginning of the season. I loving love it, it's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. With that said, I'm not shopping for 15+ year old cars on the east coast.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

Also my old sedan is about to die and I need to buy a new vehicle. I love sports cars but I need this to have some utility as a regular ski trip vehicle. Also I like stick but my wife refuses to drive one so it needs auto. Also it needs AWD or 4WD.

Any recommendations for a regular ski trip vehicle? SUV wise I was looking at the Q7, Kia Telluride, VW Atlas base Cayenne, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, Mazda CX5.

Hatchbacks and station wagons considered include the A5/S5/RS5 Sportbacks, the A4 Allroad, the Golf R, etc.

Hot hatch is the answer if you want to enjoy driving it on a regular basis.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Varg posted:

I got a Crosstrek a couple years ago and I love it.
Can confirm. I got one this year and have also absolutely loved it, especially as I've done more driving in the mud season of Vermont and have been able to largely ignore (other than driving slower) the deep ruts and ridges that I've encountered.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Please do not buy the Kia Telluride.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just purchased a Subaru Crosstrek and am loving it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I thought Crosstreks looked goofy as gently caress when they first came out, but having spent some time in my friend's I've decided they're pretty badassed little rigs and I would be looking at one if I was in the market for a hatchback.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I got a Jeep Patriot for like 6.5k off KBB and it has been magnitudes of order better than I thought it would be

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have an Outback and it's loving awesome and the Crosstrek would probably also be really good if I didn't regularly have to take like 8 pairs of skis on trips on top of all my poo poo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The crosstrek would be cool if it came with a different engine.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Thanks for all the recommendations! The vehicle will need to be able to carry a minimum of 4 people plus 6 sets of skis and 2 snowboards plus related gear. I drove from the NYC area up to Mont Tremblant and Jay Peak every season so it should be comfortable enough for those trips. I know someone said not the Telluride but that was one of the front runners for space and value for money reasons.

On the Subaru side I was looking at the Ascent too. I'll test drive the Crosstrek and Outback this weekend. I like the 4runner which seems really capable but it seems kind of rough for long road trips. As a former Evo owner, I would love a Focus RS or Golf R but I suspect they are too small even with a rooftop carrier.

Right now the SUV front runners are the Q7 (expensive), Telluride, Atlas, Ascent and Crosstrek. The car/wagon front runners are the A4 allroad, the A5/S5 Sportback, and the Outback.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fknlo posted:

The crosstrek would be cool if it came with a different engine.

This is the downfall of it and the Impreza. (They are the same car in reality)

If you are on the east coast it might be different.

Hookshot, just get a big rear end Thule. I can fit 8 skis in mine.

I would lean to a 4 runner and put a Thule force xl up there. I usually have 2 boards and 4 skis in mine. 2 more should be good. You can sneak some boots up there and the back for luggage.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 4, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ok, yeah, you want an Outback. Trust me. I very not legally managed to fit six male teenage ski racers and all of their racing poo poo in my car a couple months ago.

spwrozek posted:

Hookshot, just get a big rear end Thule. I can fit 8 skis in mine.
Problem is fitting 218 DH skis. Honestly, the Outback has literally never had issues fitting all of my race poo poo, and my husband's stuff, and all of our gear, and our dog, and then ten days worth of groceries.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 4, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lol, yeah... 218 would be the really big rear end version I think :aaaaa:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Lol, yeah... 218 would be the really big rear end version I think :aaaaa:

I looked into it when we were buying since we were considering something smaller and getting a Thule, but 210 was the biggest I found, at least that they sell in Canada.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I just watched review of the Ford Edge ST and AMG GLA45 and now I'm dying to test drive them even though they're not quite what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Wow those are 2 drastically different market segments. After I win Powerball I'm buying an AMG E63 wagon for my "daily".

Are you looking to buy new or used?

Oh yeah, until Yakima releases their next box, don't even think about anything but the Thule Force series. One of my friends is a design engineer at Yakima and he won't shut up about how badly Thule is killing them in the box department. He's one the lead designers on the new box project though, so I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

highme fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 4, 2019