Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You should maybe, perhaps, if you are going to make a post about how disabled people just don't get it, maaaaan, take a quick stop and ask yourself what the optics of that are, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This continued insistence on the creator's perfect and single vision of the game is confusing and ignores the thoughts of Miyazaki himself, who seemed to realize that creator's intent, while of value, doesn't matter as much as a lot of people think. This is why when he was asked about the story of the Souls series, for instance, he said that while he has his own ideas on what's happening he prefers that the players come up with their own explanations.

Again, clinging to the ~intended experience~ too much is depriving yourself of the fullness of what a piece of media has to offer. Speedruns are a good example. Many of those are definitely not the experience the creators intended, but they have their own value as entertaining experiences as well.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I will again point out that no commercially available creative endeavor/product survives its "true vision" intact. There are always concessions made for the sake of appealing to the audience you're shooting for, or various things that need to be left on the floor due to time and budget constraints. The idea that any of fromsoft's games are inviolate and untouched in their artistic merit speaks to a wonderful misunderstanding of the basics of design.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I think the problem is people talking past each other, since accessibility and making a game easier does not have to be the same thing. To be honest it is pretty insulting when people think that just adding more health to the player character, or less health to the enemy is accessibility. The best and easiest ways to improve accessibility in your game is to improve keybinding so unorthodox controllers such as custom made ones or the one microsoft made can be for better input options, or having visual cues too instead of just audio cues(For example, several things in Warframe is real bad about this, such as hunting for caches(They make a humming noise that you can use to track where it's hidden) or mining(the mining tool beeps faster the closer you get to the mining node, which is basically impossible to find without this beeping most of the time), yet no one gives a poo poo about it and tells deaf players to stop whining about these things)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Your Parents posted:

Every game needs to be as dumb and easy as possible or the developers are Nazis.

It's kind of weird you seem to only post in this thread to get mad at minorities and people talking about inclusivity.

More on topic Pat's breakdowns about Dr. Faust are very strong.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I also feel that while overcoming hardship is a vital part of the Souls experience, scaling difficulty doesn't really impact the experience in any meaningful way other than reducing some of the frustration - you still need to figure out patterns and how to deal with encounters, it's just that you might die twice instead of five times, or five instead of ten.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

I also feel that while overcoming hardship is a vital part of the Souls experience, scaling difficulty doesn't really impact the experience in any meaningful way other than reducing some of the frustration - you still need to figure out patterns and how to deal with encounters, it's just that you might die twice instead of five times, or five instead of ten.

or literally like a 1000 times like that guy on these forums who kept track of his deaths during a Bloodborne playthrough

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nalesh posted:

mining(the mining tool beeps faster the closer you get to the mining node, which is basically impossible to find without this beeping most of the time), yet no one gives a poo poo about it and tells deaf players to stop whining about these things)

They added a distance to nearest mining node UI element for accessibility.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

More on topic Pat's breakdowns about Dr. Faust are very strong.

But the number goes down!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Andrast posted:

or literally like a 1000 times like that guy on these forums who kept track of his deaths during a Bloodborne playthrough

I'm about halfway through Sekiro and I must be DEEP into triple figures by this point. Hell, the boss fight with Genichiro at the top of Ashina Castle probably got me into triple figures alone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I think the problem is people talking past each other, since accessibility and making a game easier does not have to be the same thing. To be honest it is pretty insulting when people think that just adding more health to the player character, or less health to the enemy is accessibility. The best and easiest ways to improve accessibility in your game is to improve keybinding so unorthodox controllers such as custom made ones or the one microsoft made can be for better input options, or having visual cues too instead of just audio cues(For example, several things in Warframe is real bad about this, such as hunting for caches(They make a humming noise that you can use to track where it's hidden) or mining(the mining tool beeps faster the closer you get to the mining node, which is basically impossible to find without this beeping most of the time), yet no one gives a poo poo about it and tells deaf players to stop whining about these things)

With the addition of the new open world area, it becomes trivial to get a mining laser that marks all nearby nodes on your minimap, and caches show up on your minimap when you have loot radar. The hum is cool to hear but it's really short distance, chances are you find any given cache by clearing out every loot icon on your minimap and sticking your nose into every drat corner.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Sex Tragedy posted:

You can't assuage the difficulty to allow people to "experience the story" of sekiro, because the difficulty is part of the story.

What you think is “easy” might be “hard” for someone else

The difference is an easy/assisted mode for them makes the game as hard as it is for you on normal difficult, instead of impossible for them

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Nalesh posted:

This is the real poo poo, everyone else here is an insomniac

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Monathin posted:

I will again point out that no commercially available creative endeavor/product survives its "true vision" intact. There are always concessions made for the sake of appealing to the audience you're shooting for, or various things that need to be left on the floor due to time and budget constraints. The idea that any of fromsoft's games are inviolate and untouched in their artistic merit speaks to a wonderful misunderstanding of the basics of design.

Cutting a boss which wasn't done in time is different than discarding the realism of a single world.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nalesh posted:

The keybindings come up with Relic's RTS games. They have the old control scheme of arrow keys move camera (most RTSes make them WASD by default now), everything else is some kind of hotkeys that aren't conveniently next to each other and you can't change the schemes without digging into the preferences file. A bunch of left-handers bounce off their games because while I can't speak for them, they say it's especially annoying.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Sex Tragedy posted:

Cutting a boss which wasn't done in time is different than discarding the realism of a single world.

That world is absolutely not real.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

You should maybe, perhaps, if you are going to make a post about how disabled people just don't get it, maaaaan, take a quick stop and ask yourself what the optics of that are, imo

This paraphrasing and twisting what people say into this simple style, using old jokes, well it's bullshit. Shows more about how simple your thought process is than who you are trying to mock.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

That world is absolutely not real.

You know I know that and that's not what I'm talking about.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's imperative that this boss drains exactly 43.2% of my health in a single swing. If it was 30% the integrity of the game world would be absolutely hosed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just as a heads up, easy mode where enemies do less damage is just one idea of accessibility that people point out because people think it's easy and also From games keep doing New Game + anyway so 'maybe tone it down' seems like a possible idea.

But there's also:

• Rebinding keys so if necessary you can put things in a way that works for you
  • Subtitles
  • Inverting the camera
  • Colorblindness adjustments
  • Giving other tells to things beyond just using sound
  • Changing QTE's to holds instead of taps
  • Giving QTEs a longer reaction window
  • Some kind of... auto combo system to show people what they should strive to do in the game perhaps...
  • Aim assist
  • Maybe vision cones would be nice
  • A Mysterious Stranger shows up and kills the boss when you've got it down to 4% health and you're about to get killed by it

Those are just the ones that're off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting something huge despite that.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Andrast posted:

It's imperative that this boss drains exactly 43.2% of my health in a single swing. If it was 30% the integrity of the game world would be absolutely hosed.

Many here can't critisise me without paraphrasing what I say down to their level.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

speaking of auto combos, how come those aren't sullying the grand vision of fighting games? Shouldn't the devs be telling the scrubs to get gud?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

RareAcumen posted:

Those are just the ones that're off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting something huge despite that.

The most obvious one in this case, since sekiro is missing it compared to their other games, coop.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sekiro co-op, only it's implemented in the style of Mario Galaxy or Odyssey.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

RareAcumen posted:

but no one's brought up Resident Evil 4 and it's invisible sliding difficulty system

RE4 does what now?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Capn Beeb posted:

RE4 does what now?

After you die to a room twice, all the enemies start missing more, or get distracted more easily, and generally become less aggressive. Third time's the charm!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Doesn't RE2make have some kind of invisible difficulty scaling so that you'll always have just enough ammo to finish the game?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

[*]Changing QTE's to holds instead of taps

This ruled so hard in Spider-Man. For the obvious reasons but also because nobody likes mashing QTEs. And you know, even if you do prefer the tapping, the game shows a meter showing how much more tapping you have to do.

Rhonne posted:

Doesn't RE2make have some kind of invisible difficulty scaling so that you'll always have just enough ammo to finish the game?

I know it has that thing where the damage bosses receive can be adjusted so the player may not run out of ammo if they're at least playing nominally well. This is maybe a wrong reach, but I feel like even the old RE games had it to some extent, but that may just be bad memory. Lots of games have it as a hidden mechanic. One that shows up in shooters is giving the last bullet or few bullets extra damage.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 3, 2019

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Everyone, today we have hit peak Woolie noises.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Plan Z posted:

This ruled so hard in Spider-Man. For the obvious reasons but also because nobody likes mashing QTEs. And you know, even if you do prefer the tapping, the game shows a meter showing how much more tapping you have to do.
Or you can just disable QTEs altogether and watch Spider-Man do his thing without any distracting button prompts. I did this immediately and didn't feel like I missed out on anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

speaking of auto combos, how come those aren't sullying the grand vision of fighting games? Shouldn't the devs be telling the scrubs to get gud?

Oh I was more talking about DMC and Bayonetta since those were the examples brought up earlier here.

And the answer is that they're already poisoned by difficulty selection so there's no need to talk about them unlike pure games like Phoenix Wright and Dark Souls.

Nalesh posted:

The most obvious one in this case, since sekiro is missing it compared to their other games, coop.

Eh, the removal of PVP meant that the game gets a pause screen so I can't say that's a huge loss. Granted, NPC assistants might still be nice.

Doc M posted:

Or you can just disable QTEs altogether and watch Spider-Man do his thing without any distracting button prompts. I did this immediately and didn't feel like I missed out on anything.

I turned off the puzzles because pipe dream and matching lines wasn't the traincar minigame from Mickey's Racing Adventure so I quickly lost interest.

Did you know you could zip onto the back of police cars that follow behind cars gone wild?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 3, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

He sounded like he actually died for a second there. It was mildly troubling.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Mystic Mongol posted:

After you die to a room twice, all the enemies start missing more, or get distracted more easily, and generally become less aggressive. Third time's the charm!

I didn't know that, that's pretty neat.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
RE4's dynamic difficulty system is really cool, but I prefer it in God Hand since you can actually see it and modify it if you want. In RE4 it kinda feels patronizing if they make it easier without you knowing about it.

The accessibility options people have mentioned here are something all games should strive to have, and at the end of the day I'm not opposed to having an easy mode for Souls games but it would feel so weird starting like, say, Bloodborne 2 and there's an easy mode option there. I don't know, it just wouldn't feel "right", I guess? But maybe it's just because they don't tend to do it, or if they do it, it's in some interesting way. The coolest easy mode they did imo was in the older Armored Core games, where if you got too in debt you'd suddenly see a cutscene of your character undergoing the Human Plus procedure, which basically fucks you up for life but turns you into a Newtype-level pilot basically. The game then resets and you have upgrades like using back weapons without kneeling with certain leg types, improved energy regeneration, improved radar, the ability to throw energy waves out of sword attacks, etc. That kinda stuff is so nuts, it meshes so well with the setting and the lore. In AC1 your character is even renamed to something else without your consent too (like Rebel + some number).

What I'm saying is that they have to bring back Armored Core.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rhonne posted:

THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA!

This line was the loving best, I don't care what anyone says.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Supersonic Shine posted:

He sounded like he actually died for a second there. It was mildly troubling.

I'm convinced that clapping sound was Woolie's trousers popping open.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is this the part that made Woolie tweet out a headphone warning for near the end of the game?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Listening to the podcast, got to the part where Pat had to stall for time...guys, I'm worried about Pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

A good poster posted:

Is this the part that made Woolie tweet out a headphone warning for near the end of the game?

It might be, but there's another part coming up that it could also be.