Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the lunch lady in Rise from the Ashes is like every complaint about mystery VNs where you notice a bunch of contradictions but can only point them out when the game feels like letting you point them out rolled into one awful testimony

"What evidence shows something wrong with this photo of President Huang?"

"The laser, there's obviously a sight on his forehead."

"No, it's this other photo of President Huang, because he normally doesn't have a dot on his forehead."

"..."

"But why does he have a dot on his forehead?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the lunch lady in Rise from the Ashes is like every complaint about mystery VNs where you notice a bunch of contradictions but can only point them out when the game feels like letting you point them out rolled into one awful testimony

Waffleman_ posted:

"No, it's this other photo of President Huang, because he normally doesn't have a dot on his forehead."

"..."

I will never not post this when this comes up:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waffleman_ posted:

"..."

AAI2 is hands-down the best game in the series but drat if Edgey and Gumshoe didn't have their coffee before coming onto this one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Android release is out. You still have to make a Japanese Play Store account to purchase the game and patch it though. https://scarletstudy.gq/2019/04/04/complete-android-release-for-the-great-ace-attorney/

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Argue posted:

Android release is out. You still have to make a Japanese Play Store account to purchase the game and patch it though. https://scarletstudy.gq/2019/04/04/complete-android-release-for-the-great-ace-attorney/

That's actually easy as hell to do.

Also, playing Case 5 right now. Got to the point where the pawnbroker is dead. Game owns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DGS turns out to have sound issues on my phone but no worries, got it working on bluestacks instead!

First impressions are that why oh why doesn't the main series look or sound this good? Ryunosuke has so much character in his animations, and I'm pretty sure he's already displayed more of them than any of the attorneys in AA6 have. All other animations looks much better too. And the soundtrack owns, but you might have known that already.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished the game. It was excellent, but also very much a game that really wants to set things up for its sequel.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

An Ace Attorney without the goofy pun names isn't an Ace Attorney. :colbert: If it's between that and not playing it at all, I'll take the latter.
Well, now that I've played two cases:

I think this translation is a quality product and if you're even the slightest bit interested you should take a look. It's not quite as good as the official localisations, you can sometimes tell that the turns of phrase get awkward or something sounds unnatural. And yes, the japanese names are left untouched (but a lot of characters don't have japanese names.) But it's definitely not one of those weird preserving-the-original-at-any-cost translations. The puns and jokes so far have felt like something right out of the usual english script.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Pretty much. It's not a translation that will decrease your enjoyment of the game (they know who they're translating this for), and like Zerilan said, it's a good game but it's really obvious that it's setting things up for a sequel (which was apparent to me starting at least way back around the 3rd case or so).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Worth noting they didn’t originally write most of this with a sequel in mind: DGS’s original design was one very ambitious, long game, but during development it became clear they couldn’t pull it off anywhere close to their deadline. So the game was split into two with much material added to it in the process. I imagine the last case of the first game wasn’t in the original design in its current state and was written to give some kind of closing to the first part, and the second game gained a lot to make it full-length instead of just the two or three chapters that made up the original conclusion. They even left a tiny scene in the first game with two fully modeled characters that are left unnamed here, but are much more important in the second half of the story.

In any case, the second game picks up every single plot thread from the first game (including some you don’t even realize are foreshadowing) and ties them up neatly.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Has anyone in here played DGS2? Does it do a good job at recapping 1? Basically, if i play the fan translation of DGS1 now, and then play DGS2 when the translation for it comes out a bazillion years from now, would i have to replay 1 to remind myself of what's going on?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Amppelix posted:

Well, now that I've played two cases:

I think this translation is a quality product and if you're even the slightest bit interested you should take a look. It's not quite as good as the official localisations, you can sometimes tell that the turns of phrase get awkward or something sounds unnatural. And yes, the japanese names are left untouched (but a lot of characters don't have japanese names.) But it's definitely not one of those weird preserving-the-original-at-any-cost translations. The puns and jokes so far have felt like something right out of the usual english script.

All right, thank you. This is good to know. My fears as assuaged.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mateo360 posted:

I will never not post this when this comes up:

The worst one is in Apollo Justice where a a child is accused of firing a gun which would almost certainly injure them, but it takes forever for the game to let you bring that up, and then its quickly handwaved away when you do.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The worst one is in Apollo Justice where a a child is accused of firing a gun which would almost certainly injure them, but it takes forever for the game to let you bring that up, and then its quickly handwaved away when you do.

What's even better is they even make a point to mention how it would have injured said child but for some reason Apollo never says in court "This would have blown his arm off. Therefore he can't be the killer. Case closed. Eat poo poo Klavier".

I mean I get it, if the game let you do that then the case would have been five minutes long, but still.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not sure about all that. Let's see the video again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

What's even better is they even make a point to mention how it would have injured said child but for some reason Apollo never says in court "This would have blown his arm off. Therefore he can't be the killer. Case closed. Eat poo poo Klavier".

I mean I get it, if the game let you do that then the case would have been five minutes long, but still.

Klavier would probably beat Apollo to that conclusion and drop charges himself. Because he's so cool, unlike Apollo

Apollo in aa4 is one of those weird characters you feel sympathy for specifically because how the writers treat him like rear end, which I'm almost certain was not intended

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Klavier could have been cool if they didn't try so hard to make him cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffleman_ posted:

Having a "good" prosecutor rival was an OK idea on the drawing board but in a game where the main character is already suffering from being treated like a schmuck, it was the worst possible time to deny Apollo even the pleasure of beating an rear end in a top hat prosecutor.

He's also lacking the one thing the best prosecutor characters have, which is gay sexual tension

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I appreciate that Apollo just outright hates Klavier's guts. I always appreciate a one-sided hatred.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Turnabout Seranade is easily the worst case in the series I've played so far, God. It's far worse than the circus one which I actually kind of liked, mostly because of Moe. Even Turnabout Corner was better people hate the panties bit but I did get a cheap laugh out of them being one of the climactic clues and the judge going "panties AGAIN?"

Really the biggest problem in Turnabout Corner is how bad the defendant is and the fact that Big Wins doesn't play a bigger role considering he has one of my favorite character designs in the whole series

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think the thing with Serenade is that it’s supposed to at least partially be rear end and it’s somewhat important to the overarching plot of the game that it is.

Making things intentionally bad is rarely a good idea though :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my favorite part about apollo justice is the ending, because what's the point of an ace attorney game if you aren't playing as phoenix wright or miles edgeworth, doing everything in their power to touch their pointer fingers together to reach the truth

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

my favorite part about apollo justice is the ending, because what's the point of an ace attorney game if you aren't playing as phoenix wright or miles edgeworth, doing everything in their power to touch their pointer fingers together to reach the truth

Look we all know the chemistry of Phoenix and Edgeworth is untouchable, but other characters need to be given their time to shine.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
AJ wasn't the strongest game, but Apollo was just a good dude who managed to be meaningfully different from Phoenix while still fitting as an AA protagonist. Ending the first case by having him straight up punch Nick in the face was a hell of a way to establish a character.

Unlike Klavier, who was just the worst prosecutor and entirely deserving of Apollo's enmity. It's not easy to have your opponent be a cool detached dude who's just looking for the truth, but also an antagonist who makes you fight tooth and nail for that not guilty verdict, so we ended with a dude who withholds evidence for shits and giggles and pressures witnesses into lying on the stand if that's more convenient for him.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Waffleman_ posted:

klavier was extremely cool, you cannot deny this

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It’s been years since I played AJ but I got the impression Klavier’s behavior was a combination of youth and an attempt to disassociate himself from what happened in his life, especially as the game continues. Then again I could be mistaking my own headcanons for being implied or mentioned that Klavier is one of the people Edgeworth goes to bat for in the background because he’s less corrupt than 99% of law officials in the state.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Klavier's character doesn't really go anywhere, even when confronted with personal revelations. I don't hate him but you can grasp pretty much all of his characterisation like ten minutes into his first trial.

e: I think he's similar to Apollo in that he's not a bad character on paper but he doesn't really get a proper arc in AA4.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The fact that Klavier and Kristoph are brothers is barely even relevant when you'd think it should be a major part of the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hace posted:

klavier was extremely cool, you cannot deny this

He has cool aspects to him, but I don't think he's quite greater than the sum of his parts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The fact that Klavier and Kristoph are brothers is barely even relevant when you'd think it should be a major part of the game.
The third case should also be personally relevant to him and I don't think that matters too much either.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
Am I remembering this wrong, or is Apollo Justice's first reaction to a popular rock star who ended Phoenix Wright's career and is also closely related to his former boss basically, "I have never heard of this man before in my life."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If it was just the popular rock star part, it'd be pretty believable. Maybe Apollo just doesn't follow popular music.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AJ was worth it in the end if for no other reason than it gave us grumpy detective Ema Skye. It also had by far the most sympathetic and depressing defendant in its final case.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Argona posted:

Has anyone in here played DGS2? Does it do a good job at recapping 1? Basically, if i play the fan translation of DGS1 now, and then play DGS2 when the translation for it comes out a bazillion years from now, would i have to replay 1 to remind myself of what's going on?
Yeah, it makes sure to remind you of the pertinent parts when they come up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

WingsOfSteel posted:

Am I remembering this wrong, or is Apollo Justice's first reaction to a popular rock star who ended Phoenix Wright's career and is also closely related to his former boss basically, "I have never heard of this man before in my life."

He should probably have already known him for the Phoenix thing, but it's not like him not knowing his boss' brother is all that strange. Hell, Phoenix could have siblings we don't know about, because they've never been relevant.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I played AJ I kept expecting some kind of twist that Klavier and Kristoph were the same person since they look almost exactly alike

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also there's a bit of a running joke that Apollo does not pay attention to current popular culture in the slightest

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I liked what little bits of characterization Apollo got in 4, like him being a perpetual wet blanket and asking if they were gonna play any jazz at the concert. The sequels end up playing to his strengths pretty well, like how Athena suggests Apollo is the one who destroyed the Klavier statue and thought he didn't have friends.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

chumbler posted:

Look we all know the chemistry of Phoenix and Edgeworth is untouchable, but other characters need to be given their time to shine.

Although Athena vs Blackwill and Apollo vs Klavier haven't been nearly as good as old Nick and Edge, I find the (working) chemistry between Apollo and Athena pretty good, so I think it's definitely possible to create a different and yet just as good rivalry-partnership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apollo's arc is over and he should only appear in spinoff titles so I can get an Athena trilogy of games