Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

El_Elegante posted:

Just started Mankind Divided for the first time and I am dying laughing at paid DLC for Praxis and starting credits.

It's the stupidest concept they came up with, "People can make this single-player game easier... If they spend more money!"

Easy Mode now costs money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I have died falling 10 feet at least half a dozen times. I got the Icarus but that loving aggros everyone on the block.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have died falling 10 feet at least half a dozen times. I got the Icarus but that loving aggros everyone on the block.

I haven't played in forever but I don't remember that being the case.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is there a particularly good way to explore Prague to avoid getting burned out on it?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

jeeves posted:

I laughed at the beginning of MD because Jenson must get so annoyed every time his augs reset because he literally can't do anything that he got used to. It happens like every game and DLC too.

If I had grown accustomed to jumping 10 feet straight into the air and poo poo I'd be pretty annoyed too.

“I asked for those.”

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

El_Elegante posted:

Is there a particularly good way to explore Prague to avoid getting burned out on it?

Do the sidequests and leave. Don't explore Prague. It's a seemingly endless rabbit hole of things you'll want to hack and red zones you'll want to invade and loot. Better to just leave it for when whatever that's there for comes up in the story.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

jeeves posted:

I laughed at the beginning of MD because Jenson must get so annoyed every time his augs reset because he literally can't do anything that he got used to. It happens like every game and DLC too.

If I had grown accustomed to jumping 10 feet straight into the air and poo poo I'd be pretty annoyed too.

I like to picture Jensen finding out his augs are disabled/hosed by jumping off a tall building and failing to engage his Icarus landing system. All the while flailing and screaming "I never asked for thiiiiiiiiiis." s

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Look Sir Droids posted:

You must be pressing something to attack when you drop. If you just let him fall, it doesn't kick off the shockwave or whatever the crowd control move was.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Do the sidequests and leave. Don't explore Prague. It's a seemingly endless rabbit hole of things you'll want to hack and red zones you'll want to invade and loot. Better to just leave it for when whatever that's there for comes up in the story.
I missed the sewer cult side quest the second time through because I didn't explore enough. So I kind of regret that.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Spun Dog posted:

You must be pressing something to attack when you drop. If you just let him fall, it doesn't kick off the shockwave or whatever the crowd control move was.

I tried it without pressing anything and I went splat and died.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Look Sir Droids posted:

I tried it without pressing anything and I went splat and died.

Huh, from what I remember if you've got that aug and just jump out a window it kicks in automatically when you fall enough distance. It only does the attack if you hit a button on the way down.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That should be what happens.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

goatsestretchgoals posted:

“I asked for those.”

*Sunglasses fail to engage after saying that line*

"...Damnit!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wish Jensen put away his sunglasses more in cutscenes. It helps to humanise him a little more.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I think the retracted-sunglasses-look is real bad. He got some black poo poo around the outside of his eyes. With the sunglasses there I can pretend they're just normal glasses.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
He keeps them extended to hide the PAin

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Casimir Radon posted:

I missed the sewer cult side quest the second time through because I didn't explore enough. So I kind of regret that.

Sewer quest was one of the better ideas. The 'aug lives matter' thing was lazy projection of modern politics onto the future where it didn't really make sense. Sewer quest looked at some of the stranger stories you might see coming out of plausible near future tech. Wasn't super well executed but it was okay.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The girl he couldn't save in the Human Revolution Prague train station bombing would have made for an awesome story jump off point. Instead, HR treated it like a bad hangover where you dropped your headskulphone in a toilet.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Neurosis posted:

Sewer quest was one of the better ideas. The 'aug lives matter' thing was lazy projection of modern politics onto the future where it didn't really make sense. Sewer quest looked at some of the stranger stories you might see coming out of plausible near future tech. Wasn't super well executed but it was okay.

Yeah, basically putting some segregation trappings and imagery on top of the aug lives matter stuff is pretty disappointing.

The original Deus Ex’s politics still feel timely because late stage capitalism being horrible is an evergreen concept.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

With the sheer amount of money that was invested into making DXHR and DXMD combined with the owner of Eidos being a multinational company, it's not a real surprise that a bald-faced analysis of late capitalism isn't forthcoming.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

The original Deus Ex’s politics still feel timely because late stage capitalism being horrible is an evergreen concept.

Also buncha the conspiracy theories are mainstream republican talking points now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
With the news these days, all I can hear is Eliza’s “It’s not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.” :smith:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The_Doctor posted:

With the news these days, all I can hear is Eliza’s “It’s not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.” :smith:

Honestly, immigration would have made a much better parallel. I just got to Golem City and the family separations, forced detentions/deportations could have served as echoes of the immigration crisis of the last few years.

It’s disappointing that climate change was touched on in the first game but doesn’t seem to be all that important to the setting. It’s done a good job of making society seem more fragile and close to collapse than human revolution.

In HR the setting felt more optimistic and stable and not that gritty. The anti-aug riots of the first game felt more shoehorned than organic.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm a tiny bit further than you.

Is there a way to non-lethal disable the mechwarrior cops? I tried to sneak punch one and he punched me back. Do I need an aug?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm a tiny bit further than you.

Is there a way to non-lethal disable the mechwarrior cops? I tried to sneak punch one and he punched me back. Do I need an aug?
EMP bullets and then a takedown punch.

El_Elegante posted:

Yeah, basically putting some segregation trappings and imagery on top of the aug lives matter stuff is pretty disappointing.

Also terrorism became a really big topic not long after the first game. I'd encourage every one to go and watch the Ross Game Dungeon Deus Ex videos. He's got one for the original game through HR. One of his better comments is in the HR video where he talks about how DX and IW draw on multiple different topics to put their plots together. Whereas the plot to HR is just "Cyborg Cyborg Cyborg".

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 5, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Oh, apologies for murdering that one dude then. I tried an EMP grenade but it wore off. Didn't realize I could punch him.

5 minutes later I dragged a cop to a hidden area. Found a switch, oh what's this. Electrified floor where I hid the cop. Dead. Oops.

This isn't my no kills run.

Casimir Radon posted:

Also terrorism became a really big topic not long after the first game. I'd encourage every one to go and watch the Ross Game Dungeon Deus Ex videos. He's got one for the original game through HR. One of his better comments is in the HR video where he talks about how DX and IW draw on multiple different topics to put their plots together. Whereas the plot to HR is just "Cyborg Cyborg Cyborg".

Is Invisible War worth playing? I had always seen that it's bad. I bought HR on PC for $5 a while ago and got IW with it, so worth playing?

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is Invisible War worth playing? I had always seen that it's bad. I bought HR on PC for $5 a while ago and got IW with it, so worth playing?

IW I'm mixed about. I don't outright hate it especially because you can do some fun rear end in a top hat physics stuff in it, and the general gameplay of navigating and fighting is competent enough, but on PC it loads like rear end (it literally closes and reopens the game on every level transfer). I played and beat the oXbox version.

Gameplay wise there's a bunch of issues. Hacking is a "if your level is high enough you autohack, if not gently caress off" zero-sum proposal. All guns have universal ammo. Lockpicks and Multitools are the same item, stuff like that. There's also some problems with the plot but I won't get into those.

So the question is basically are you willing to endure that for the ability to huck barrels at enemies and ragdoll them all over the place.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Look Sir Droids posted:

Oh, apologies for murdering that one dude then. I tried an EMP grenade but it wore off. Didn't realize I could punch him.

5 minutes later I dragged a cop to a hidden area. Found a switch, oh what's this. Electrified floor where I hid the cop. Dead. Oops.

This isn't my no kills run.

Get the "Visible Upgrade" mod. It allows for Widescreen resolutions and fixes the bug where the game minimized on level load, along with some other graphical enhancements. It's pretty much the worst Deus Ex game, but I still really like it. It's got some good ideas and some bad ideas. But it's also the shortest game so it wouldn't take a huge time commitment to burn through.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think it can really be Worst Deus Ex in a world where The Fall exists.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Nah, there's really no reason to bother with it. It was bad when it released and it has aged horribly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah DXIW is no The Fall, but it's also not great. The story feels lobotomized, the art direction is terrible, and the gameplay is much simpler than the first, and the levels are all tiny to fit inside an original xbox's memory constraints. That said, it's still at least trying to be an 451 game so there are multiple routes to solve problems at least. Oh, and while the ending is pretty bad too one of the ways to end it is my favourite ending from any DX game (damning with faint praise there).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Momomo posted:

I don't think it can really be Worst Deus Ex in a world where The Fall exists.

I don't even count that one

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It's amazing how much better Thief: Deadly Shadows turned out, despite having the same technical limitations. It's still worse than Thief 1 and 2, but something about the design of the game made it feel less hamstrung.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

feelix posted:

It's amazing how much better Thief: Deadly Shadows turned out, despite having the same technical limitations. It's still worse than Thief 1 and 2, but something about the design of the game made it feel less hamstrung.

It's interesting how much people have mellowed on Thief: DS considering it was widely panned when it came out (probably by dint of just not being more of 1&2).

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

It's interesting how much people have mellowed on Thief: DS considering it was widely panned when it came out (probably by dint of just not being more of 1&2).

The remake made people realize how bad it could get

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also the Shalebridge Cradle was one of the greatest levels in gaming history, no matter what you thought of the rest of it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The House of the Widow Moira sticks out in my memory more. The Cradle didn't impact me that much to be honest. Perhaps because iirc I'd just done a Thief 1 replay when I first played TDS and undead were coded as an irritation and something to be avoided by abusing mechanics (crouch and nothing in the Cradle can hit you!).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Deadly Shadows was always a perfectly good game and worthy conclusion to the series, which suffered primarily from not being as great as Thief 2, and from having a lovely engine, but yeah, it took time distance and Thi4f for people to realise it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I remember movement feeling really clunky, some weird input-lag whenever you didn't want to move straight forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There's also Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, which is a fan-made game based on Thief 2 with a new, female protagonist. I have not played it personally, but no-one ever really mentions it despite every review I've ever seen for it being nothing but glowing.