Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lost our first playoff game last night but our team played pretty lovely overall. It was 3-5 and then we pulled the goalie and lost 3-6.

I had a few chances but just couldn't bury the puck. The best came off an offensive zone face off where the puck came to me and I one-timed it to no avail. I was backdoor on a shot that bounced out to me, it was within a sticks length away but I was flat footed. As I jumped up for the puck to shoot it in the wide open net, one of their guys head first baseball slid in front of me and took my legs out.

Oh well, I have a playoff game with my other team tonight against my former team so this should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Sup thread. Here is my story about the worst call I've ever seen in beer league.

League championship game. We are tied 4-4 with 1:36 left in the 3rd period. Other team takes a shot from the blue line and our goalie makes the save, there's some batting around of the rebound but our goalie ends up trapping the puck under his leg pad and blocker. Referee at the blue line blows the whistle and people start moving to change lines or line up at the faceoff circle. Our goalie stands up and as he's doing so, the puck falls and rolls just past the goal line. Enormous rear end in a top hat ref who is right by the net whistles and makes the goal signal. The other ref comes down and says "no no, I saw the goalie jump on the puck and I blew the play dead." rear end in a top hat is not having it and starts actually screaming "I WAS RIGHT BY THE NET AND *I* DIDN'T BLOW A WHISTLE. IT'S A GOAL END OF DISCUSSION." Goes to the scorer and just stands there. Won't hear from our captain and threatens misconducts if we keep trying to talk to him.

Much arguing ensues with the other ref and rear end in a top hat gets his way. Game ends 5-4. The other team meets us in the bar and agrees that we got completely hosed and they kind of are bummed to win the league like that.

I am convinced that this son of a bitch didn't want to go to overtime and used that as an excuse. This guy is toxic to the league and I really hope they get rid of him before summer starts.

e: Earlier in the season he gave us a goal for a shot that clearly and audibly hit the top crossbar and bounced out in front of our goalie. He was at almost center ice loving around and not paying attention, so there's no way he saw it. His explanation was that he saw the puck hit the back bar (which is padded) and bounce out. The ref next to the net had already called no goal. It's impossible for the puck to hit a padded bar and TING *and* bounce out the way it did. gently caress that guy.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 3, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Feels like a good time to remind everyone how great playing without a cage is

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

sellouts posted:

pretty sure I just heard /r/hockeyplayers have a collective loving stroke

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

No cage, no shoulder pads. So nice.

I took a few bruises this season where the shoulder pads might have made the bruise slightly less but its been totally worth it. I've only been using the Sherwood 5030 Classics since I was 16 anyway so its not like I've been getting a ton of protection from them anyway.

I do have massive oversized shin guards that go all the way to the top of my foot though.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

sellouts posted:

Not a loving chance. Dental work is far too expensive. 😂

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Where's a good source to get a beer league logo made?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ask if anyone on the team has any kind of art background?

For my team, someone dug up some clip art in google image search, slapped together a prototype, and I rebuilt it properly as vector art that was fit to print. No actual artistic talent required, just tracing. :v:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nobody appears to have one, or at least as far as vector design goes. Looking at my team chat we might go through 99designs. It's 200 bucks for a design. Seems reasonable

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We have some correctional officers on my team, so we had a prison inmate design ours. He drew it and i vectorized it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hell yeah slave labor!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I went with a visor for a while in beer league but kept getting hit in the mouth so I finally went with a cage.

I grew up playing with one so I'm used to it anyways. If I trusted people to not high stick me in the face I'd consider not wearing one but it has happened so many times.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

shyduck posted:

Nobody appears to have one, or at least as far as vector design goes. Looking at my team chat we might go through 99designs. It's 200 bucks for a design. Seems reasonable

Creative Convention has a freelance thread, Fiverr has dozens of ~$50 options.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
GSHL Winter playoffs 2019 edition: Saw a guy literally wind up and baseball swing on a puck carrier with both refs looking ... and no call was made. That was the general theme for the night.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We played the only team that's beaten us this year again. Instead of losing 5-1, we lost 5-4 in OT. I definitely feel better about our chances of beating them in the playoffs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This has been said before but $300 for a helmet, no shield/cage is so absurd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

This has been said before but $300 for a helmet, no shield/cage is so absurd.

https://www.olympia-composites.com/composite-goalie-player-helmets

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Uhhhhhhhh they come with tinted visors too yeah

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pleads posted:

Creative Convention has a freelance thread, Fiverr has dozens of ~$50 options.

Oh really? Link plz - I sorta volunteered to ro do our absolutely dated/garbage old logo, got pretty far then hated what I did and have since lost all creativity hah

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

GSHL Winter playoffs 2019 edition: Saw a guy literally wind up and baseball swing on a puck carrier with both refs looking ... and no call was made. That was the general theme for the night.

I've been two-hand tomahawk chopped over the head in front of a ref: we somehow both feet high sticking

I had a dude baseball slide blades-up through my shin pads, take out my legs, gouge into my shin pads, and end up tied up him with his skates pointing at my throat, LITERALLY sitting at the feet of the ref, where I grabbed the dudes skate and shoved it away from my neck: I got roughing, he got nothing

ed: thanks pleads :tipshat: vvvvvvvvvv

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 8, 2019

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Duke Chin posted:

Oh really? Link plz - I sorta volunteered to ro do our absolutely dated/garbage old logo, got pretty far then hated what I did and have since lost all creativity hah

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just closed out the Nashville Draft Tournament this weekend and had a blast. We went 1-4 on the weekend, but won our last game 3-1. I got shithoused on a couple games but I wasn't dead last in GAA for the tournament. Definitely going back next year.

Edit: I'm now in Draft Tournament ad media.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 8, 2019

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I see Brad Dean played, he was my goalie in Boston 2 years ago. He's a lot of fun to play with/hang out. Also that dude can freakin' drink.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

Any of you guys film your games? I used to use a UHWK on my helmet but all the refs caught on and they won't let me use it anymore. They have no problem with me using a GoPro mounted to the glass behind the goalie, which I've been doing, but the visual fidelity of what's happening on the other end of the ice is a little low.

That being said, it's an older GoPro that does 1080p/30fps and maybe the newer ones that do 4k60 would capture the other end of the ice better simpy by having finer resolution and greater megapixels. Any suggestions from anyone else that films their games?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I used to GoPro our games just to capture funny moments. Not to sit there and analyze game film or whatever other tryhard poo poo. I stopped doing it because it got to be a real loving chore to transfer the files over, cut up/edit them, encode them, edit them. If we ever make it back to a championship, I'll record it, but probably not until then.

I liked doing dumb poo poo like this, but I have no free time anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFXHgRF7Esk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYca30ZrDIQ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pay people to not film any game I am skating in that's how little I want to see myself skating.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

I pay people to not film any game I am skating in that's how little I want to see myself skating.

I filmed myself at stick and puck once. I got super low and skated as hard as I could. I was loving flying man, it felt incredible.

Watched the video. I was slow and looked like a moron. It was so shameful to witness I vowed to never do it again. I should go critique my form but gently caress.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I haven't seen video of myself skating in years. I'm sure my skating has improved functionally, but I bet it's just as ugly.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Thufir posted:

I haven't seen video of myself skating in years. I'm sure my skating has improved functionally, but I bet it's just as ugly.

I'm one of the faster ones on my team due to actually taking lessons. It's not that bad really but I was expecting it to resemble something looking professional. It just looked so sloppy and I took like 8 strides going from blue line to blue line. McDavid clears that in what? 3?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Our goalie puts up a go pro. He just uploaded a video that I felt we played a somewhat fast game. We were probably moving about 1 mph. Or at least it looked that way.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The game always feels fast on the ice, but if you watch from the stands, it's always slow.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Is anyone using powerfoot? I recently put them in my skates and I can definitely feel a difference. Feels a bit odd since I'm used to a bit wider toe box.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

youwantsomewang posted:

Any of you guys film your games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMMuOdiqkxw

(Not actually me but I remembered someone else posting this masterpiece earlier in the thread)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha that’s great.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

calandryll posted:

Is anyone using powerfoot? I recently put them in my skates and I can definitely feel a difference. Feels a bit odd since I'm used to a bit wider toe box.

I'd also like to know about this product (if its the foam above your toes thing). There is a ton of room in my toe-box and I wanted to try them, but at $25 a pair I'd like to know more before spending the dough.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've only skated with them twice now, but I love them. Just took a minute to remember why my skate was so tight of a fit. I have a few teammates that also swear by them. I think it has helped with keeping my foot locked down.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

youwantsomewang posted:

Any of you guys film your games?

this is how we lost our last shootout: https://i.imgur.com/krnKWvk.mp4

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Vargatron posted:

Just closed out the Nashville Draft Tournament this weekend and had a blast. We went 1-4 on the weekend, but won our last game 3-1. I got shithoused on a couple games but I wasn't dead last in GAA for the tournament. Definitely going back next year.

Couple people I know were at that one. I keep meaning to get to one in Pittsburgh, but the weekends always seem to conflict with my derby coaching.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Those pads are sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bgreman posted:

Couple people I know were at that one. I keep meaning to get to one in Pittsburgh, but the weekends always seem to conflict with my derby coaching.

We had an extremely fun group in Nashville this year and this was the best tournament yet for me. I'd really like to get into another tournament this year, but it's tough to finance more than the Nashville trip.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Those pads are sick.

Thanks! I decided if I can't play well, I can just look sharp out there on the ice. I still need to get a black mask at some point this year.