Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

IRA getting the gang back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So what did they just vote on?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1113568811180068870

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

How can I put it; just a bit.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

the only thing they've managed to pass, and by exactly one vote, is asking to go beg the EU to give them a few more weeks to vote no on everything

this is magical

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Thom12255 posted:

IRA getting the gang back together.

lol Stormont would be back up and running tomorrow if Sinn Fein wanted

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

seems like it would be trouble

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Squizzle posted:

seems like it would be... trouble?

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

So let's get this straight: After multiple literal years of not figuring this poo poo out, in the last week before crashing out of the EU, the govt has had the incredible idea of "ask the opposition to negotiate a compromise that may pass parliament" ?

Which would be pretty funny on its own if not for the very real possibility that the "negotiations" with Labour are a charade to show the EU some glimmer of a reason to offer an extension and then have 900 more failed votes on the same 5 things that have failed forever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Squizzle posted:

seems like it would be trouble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d1guIZZNbM

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
You all do realise NI was under direct rule from 2002-2007 without the troubles starting up again?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

macron: hon hon hon

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

Bryter posted:

I think you've somehow misinterpreted me saying the referendum didn't technically bind parliament as me saying the government did bind parliament?

The government declared that they would consider themselves politically bound by the result of the referendum. Parliament voted for the referendum. It wasn't changed retroactively, and there was no "coup".

yeah when you said that parliament not going along with it was a constitutional quirk, you are saying that its an unimportant little wrinkle in the plan. yeah everyone really really knew that it was a full binding referendum in practice and if parliament went against the results then parliament should ... be abolished?? i dunno what the gently caress you want.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

y'all ever thought about just not brexiting

seems like a lot of trouble tbh

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mays plan is to get extensions until bercow is dead of natural causes and she can violate parliamentary rules

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Soviet Space Dog posted:

yeah when you said that parliament not going along with it was a constitutional quirk, you are saying that its an unimportant little wrinkle in the plan. yeah everyone really really knew that it was a full binding referendum in practice and if parliament went against the results then parliament should ... be abolished?? i dunno what the gently caress you want.

I want people to shut up about the referendum being advisory as if that's how it was sold to parliament or the public. But yeah parliament should be abolished regardless, good idea.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
If people are stupid enough to believe that voting to ask parliament to consider the option to discuss leaving the EU = brexit, then, I ask M'lerned collegue: what is brexit?

E: politics in inaction, tbqf.

EE: actually, May cutting her own head off and freezing it with instructions to attach it to a host body upon Bercow's shuffling off this mortal coil has probably flitted across the barren expanse mopre than once, blot twist: Bercow also does the same.

staberind has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Apr 4, 2019

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

seems like april 12th could end up a.........................................................................................................bad friday disagreement!!!!!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what does it mean for something to bind parliament? what does it prevent them from doing, or force them to do, and what are the consequences if they don’t obey? does it bind future parliaments too, somehow?

the legal meaning of “referendum” varies country to country, and I’m not quite sure how it interacts with law-making in the UK

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Subjunctive posted:

what does it mean for something to bind parliament? what does it prevent them from doing, or force them to do, and what are the consequences if they don’t obey? does it bind future parliaments too, somehow?

the legal meaning of “referendum” varies country to country, and I’m not quite sure how it interacts with law-making in the UK

Parliament can't be bound, that's the point.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

mps cant cross an unbroken line of salt, nor escape if wrapped in iron chains by a priest. certain sigils can also ward against their passage

its all related to the mystic powers of the mace, and to knighthood. the house of commons was built over a faerie graveyard also

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It feels like as long as the EU will give extensions Brexit will never end

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Kashuno posted:

It feels like as long as the EU will give extensions Brexit will never end

https://twitter.com/GRANNYMUGGER/status/1106272857431175168?s=19

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bryter posted:

Parliament can't be bound, that's the point.

ok, I must have massively misread an earlier part of this thread, then! it’s the same thing here.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:
the uk constitutional powers of parliament are actually really simple

its literally if you have a simple majority you can pass a law on anything and thats 100% the law and everyone has to do what that says. if you dont have a majority you cant do poo poo. note that anything includes executing the monarch and implementing a republic, or replacing the monarch with a dutch guy because you hate catholics, or banning catholic monarchs forever because you hate catholics.

that the government cant do a non-poo poo brexit isn't some weird limit of powers, its just utter incompetence

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I can totally imagine it becoming a literal part of the government, the same as India and Pakistan's ritual contests over Kashmir.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

A binding referendum is one attached to legislation that automatically kicks in if the referendum passes. The brexit referendum was advisory, all that was legislated is that they would have a referendum and it's then up to parliament to decide how to proceed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

unreal

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i went looking for the black rods full formal title and holy poo poo theres someone whose title is GENTLEMAN USHER OF THE PURPLE ROD, whose job is not workin dicks all day and nite

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Subjunctive posted:

Things that bind parliament are, roughly speaking, the constitution (let's just leave it at that) and basically all laws. Binding in the sense that if they do(or don't do) certain things, the courts will step in and force the matter.

Are you American by any chance? Because I've always associated these sorts of questions with Americans.

In any case, in the legal sense, referendums are not binding on the UK. They're nationwide opinion polls, and the government/parliament is free to ignore the results if it wants to. The fact that the conservatives and I believe labour as well said that they intended to abide by the outcome makes for some interesting legal challenges.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

update, the office is presently held by the lady usher of the purple rod

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

update, the office is presently held by the lady usher of the purple rod

That sounds unspeakably filthy.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I can totally imagine it becoming a literal part of the government, the same as India and Pakistan's ritual contests over Kashmir.

Or how the US keeps writing cheques to Cuba for renting Guantanamo, which Cuba refuses to cash.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dance Officer posted:

Things that bind parliament are, roughly speaking, the constitution (let's just leave it at that) and basically all laws. Binding in the sense that if they do(or don't do) certain things, the courts will step in and force the matter.

Are you American by any chance? Because I've always associated these sorts of questions with Americans.

In any case, in the legal sense, referendums are not binding on the UK. They're nationwide opinion polls, and the government/parliament is free to ignore the results if it wants to. The fact that the conservatives and I believe labour as well said that they intended to abide by the outcome makes for some interesting legal challenges.

can’t parliament just change the law? I thought that in the UK parliament was pretty much supreme, without even the need for a more onerous constitutional amendment process like is found here in Canada or in the US. (we had our own referendum drama in the 90s.)

what would be the basis of a legal challenge? how does this differ from a party promising something while campaigning and then not doing it once elected, which I understand to not be actionable in the UK any more than it is here?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

So let's get this straight: After multiple literal years of not figuring this poo poo out, in the last week before crashing out of the EU, the govt has had the incredible idea of "ask the opposition to negotiate a compromise that may pass parliament" ?

Which would be pretty funny on its own if not for the very real possibility that the "negotiations" with Labour are a charade to show the EU some glimmer of a reason to offer an extension and then have 900 more failed votes on the same 5 things that have failed forever.

Many 'brexiteers' have been publicly boasting for a couple years now that in the final exigency before the deadline, the EU would buckle and cave in and give the UK what it wanted.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Subjunctive posted:

Parliament can do anything it wants with a simple majority, irrespective of any law passed in the past.

Like parliament today can pass a law that says "parliament tomorrow must have a 2/3 majority to do some thing," but parliament tomorrow is not bound by this, they can pass a new law on a simple majority striking down that law, and then do the thing on a simple majority rather than 2/3.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Brexiteers Dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaeBbQMZyY

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I have no idea if that's good or not, but taking no-deal Brexit off the table means I get to delay a project at my job for a couple of years, hopefully until after I've gone to another job :v:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Jazerus posted:

y'all ever thought about just not brexiting

seems like a lot of trouble tbh

hmm, I dunno. Seems like something they should vote on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

all words are made up :smug: :smug:

Dude, you just blew my mind