Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah it's a completely worthwhile goal to replace regional travel with high speed rail

right now you'll spend 2-3 hours in the air traveling nyc to chicago, plus airport security time, while a hypothetical high speed rail line could make that in 4-5

obviously miami to los angeles isn't going to be feasible for this, but a huge amount of travel is regional and this demand is actually what's pushing our existing air infrastructure to capacity, right now, which is why high speed rail is even being talked about in the first place by the people who make these decisions

Not to mention rail generally goes to the city centre while airports are 30-60 minutes from wherever you actually want to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dead Beef posted:

my work laptop literally has spyware on it that keeps track of what programs I run, for how long, and how much time is spent not doing anything

it also has keylogger functionality, I learned from experience that the word "dropbox" is trigger word that earns you a phone call (or 2) from a boss (or 2) about why you're trying to use dropbox (the dropbox thing is because they're worried about data leaks)

so yeah... spyware (they don't call it spyware obviously) is required to log on to the VPN

Can't you get a government grant to buy a work laptop? I'm pretty sure there's a program.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Can't you get a government grant to buy a work laptop? I'm pretty sure there's a program.
in order to access the VPN (and thus the virtual machines I use to do work) I have to use special VPN software which acts as spyware to make sure I'm not leaking company secrets (and that I'm actually working)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

An instagram account called PreachersNSneakers is matching Megachurch pastors to the wildly expensive sneakers they're wearing:

i hope megachurch pastors all go to the special hell when they die. same for all other people who keep trying to make jesus cool.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dead Beef posted:

in order to access the VPN (and thus the virtual machines I use to do work) I have to use special VPN software which acts as spyware to make sure I'm not leaking company secrets (and that I'm actually working)

yeah that might be what's going on with me, but if it is, i should have been confronted by now (not doing poo poo. i dont work at a place with trade secrets)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

i hope megachurch pastors all go to the special hell when they die. same for all other people who keep trying to make jesus cool.

hey, comrade. want to sit and jam with some fresh tunes?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dead Beef posted:

No I get that but I'm saying you can use a lovely cheap government computer for work so you don't infect your poo poo with theirs.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

i'm not saying jesus himself is uncool, but if you're actively trying to make believing in god look cool then you're probably a big loser imo. this is what i'm imagining the third megapastor guy in that post is like.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ekuNNN posted:

An instagram account called PreachersNSneakers is matching Megachurch pastors to the wildly expensive sneakers they're wearing:

Not one of those guys even look like pastors, the 3rd guy could be a singer in a punk band

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Away all Goats posted:

Not one of those guys even look like pastors, the 3rd guy could be a singer in a punk band

Modern megachurches do away with the traditional stuff to make it more inviting to a contemporary audience, the point is to be relatable.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I can definitely relate to a guy whose shoes cost more than a paycheck for me. Very Christlike.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shipon posted:

there is no business on the planet important enough to make it worth doing on a flight. anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool pretending they're actually getting anything done in that cramped noisy pit

playing nintendo while you're billing for travel is important

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Those $550 Saint Laurent ones look the same as my partner's $15 H&M ones, minus the Saint Laurent written on the side

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Imagined posted:

I can definitely relate to a guy whose shoes cost more than a paycheck for me. Very Christlike.

Relatable in the sense that they aren't a monk like, robe and collar wearing pastor. They are just like a 'regular person' with jeans and a T-shirt, who might also share the same race/age demographics.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah it's a completely worthwhile goal to replace regional travel with high speed rail

right now you'll spend 2-3 hours in the air traveling nyc to chicago, plus airport security time, while a hypothetical high speed rail line could make that in 4-5

obviously miami to los angeles isn't going to be feasible for this, but a huge amount of travel is regional and this demand is actually what's pushing our existing air infrastructure to capacity, right now, which is why high speed rail is even being talked about in the first place by the people who make these decisions

As it stands I prefer driving from LA to SF than taking a flight, because the ~6 hour drive isn't that much more when you consider the logistics of getting to/from airport and waiting around for rideshares. If I could take a train in 3 hours I would much prefer to do that but well, doesn't look like that's happening anymore.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheMostFrench posted:

Modern megachurches do away with the traditional stuff to make it more inviting to a contemporary audience, the point is to be relatable.

So it's inevitable that they communicate to the audience through a snapchat filter

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Those $550 Saint Laurent ones look the same as my partner's $15 H&M ones, minus the Saint Laurent written on the side

You've discovered the secret to branding!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The difference between $200 Nikes and $20 noname stuff is who put in the work order that day. And they were both done by sweatshop labor.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

You've discovered the secret to branding!

I mean obviously, but at least those other shoes look outrageous and unique and would be difficult to counterfeit. It's the fact that you could make those Saint Laurent ones yourself with $15 and a sharpie that makes them seem especially ridiculous

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

I guess it shows up that way on TV which is the point, but I live near several massive megachurches (hell I think Florida has the most megachurches of any state though I haven't checked) and god drat are they always anxiety-inducing massive buildings meant to look as imposing as possible. The smaller ones look like a futuristic industrial warehouse and the bigger ones look like a convention center for aliens or the evil headquarters of a bond villain.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Shipon posted:

As it stands I prefer driving from LA to SF than taking a flight, because the ~6 hour drive isn't that much more when you consider the logistics of getting to/from airport and waiting around for rideshares. If I could take a train in 3 hours I would much prefer to do that but well, doesn't look like that's happening anymore.

quit going to SF you’re destroying the environment.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shipon posted:

it's not abandoned

new governor essentially was saying that the fight for the routes out of the central valley needs to be reevaluated, because that battle was allowed to go on for too long. there's more to it than that ofc, article lays it out and has links, but the project management is a big chunk of it that needs to be fixed

but yeah they basically can't keep expanding the airports and highways explicitly because la <-> sf travel continues to grow. more modes simply needed

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Apr 4, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I only attend churches where the minister wears all my favorite brands.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ekuNNN posted:

Only the first one doesn't look like poo poo.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's not abandoned

new governor essentially was saying that the fight for the routes out of the central valley needs to be reevaluated, because that battle was allowed to go on for too long. there's more to it than that ofc, article lays it out and has links, but the project management is a big chunk of it that needs to be fixed

but yeah they basically can't keep expanding the airports and highways explicitly because la <-> sf travel continues to grow. more modes simply needed

just do a cities skylines and build blimp routes everywhere

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

T-man posted:

The difference between $200 Nikes and $20 noname stuff is who put in the work order that day. And they were both done by sweatshop labor. how much money was extracted from the consumer while even less fairly remunerating the revenue to those who created the product.

There we go

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

There we go

just lol if you’re not cutting out the middleman and buying “reps” directly from the factories in China that are as good or sometimes better than the “legit” pieces

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Taintrunner posted:

just lol if you’re not cutting out the middleman and buying “reps” directly from the factories in China that are as good or sometimes better than the “legit” pieces

I love how many companies advertise (on podcasts especially) that by ordering with them you're "cutting out the middleman" when they're essentially middlemen themselves for some airdropped mattresses or shavers.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't flown in 5 years, but I've never seen any of those pods in the wild. I have seen them though, I did design the wiring for the entertainment and control systems for a few airlines, none of them were domestic.

Domestic airlines at the time were content cramming everyone into tiny embriars with the worst seats possible.

you are blessed. I fly every Christmas for the last 12 years, with a transfer both ways. flying sucks rear end, but so does driving for 17 hours. I envy people who never have to travel more than a days drive.

on the plus side I am close to platinum status and I think they have to welcome me in my seat and stuff once I hit that.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

I like how the article completely ignores the $20k cost and fact their insurance wouldn't cover it. How on earth would a wheelchair cost $20k? Looking online and even ones that use your eye movements to steer are way cheaper than that. But hey a robotics team was able to hook up a joystick to a powerwheels motor...so everything is ok.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
look if a desperate family didn’t have to rely on the kindness of strangers and was instead afforded the dignity of universal healthcare, how would we be able to know that there are still good people in the world?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Raldikuk posted:

I like how the article completely ignores the $20k cost and fact their insurance wouldn't cover it. How on earth would a wheelchair cost $20k? Looking online and even ones that use your eye movements to steer are way cheaper than that. But hey a robotics team was able to hook up a joystick to a powerwheels motor...so everything is ok.

20k is undoubtedly the inflated charge the hospital was going to charge insurance to hand him one

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

cool to hate on walmart but thanks to their price rollbacks, Don still has his leg after shopping for groceries

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I live there. Don is just talking to people as his retirement. He's great. Seen him once a week for years. Pretty sure he is doing it as something to do. Not to survive.

Bombadilillo has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Apr 5, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

I live there. Don is just talking to people as his retirement. He's great. Seen him once a week for years. Pretty sure he is doing it as something to do. Not to survive.

Probably you're right. Probably the one armed 98 year old isn't still having to work to survive. But only probably

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

bike tory posted:

Probably you're right. Probably the one armed 98 year old isn't still having to work to survive. But only probably

I can ask him Saturday! He's always super happy and usually just having a long chat with someone.

Not saying there arent olds getting screwed or greeting to survive. Just saying That guy ain't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
maybe we could have better community centers instead so he could hang out with people all day without needing to worry about corporate rules and bs