Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Hot Dog Day hasn't posted since December. Did he re-reg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
He got banned?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh it's a person, not a board. Got it, thanks.

Well let's not go crazy here

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Speaking of scum

Cool my first letter delivered by UPSP

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Arcturas posted:

Sounds like Kirkland drafted the order to make their lives easier. Still, if you want to load things on Relativity then you need to have someone who knows how to do that, either your paralegal or whichever vendor/litigation support service you are using to host your Relativity databases.

Soothing Vapors posted:

whoever let Kirkland draft the order should be disbarred
That is pretty typical of any ESI order entered in litigation.

But I agree that you should just go ahead and produce whatever files you want in native format. Just rename the file name with the Bates number

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Motherfucker is apparently still posting, not just here. Jerk.
Or he did what I've done, which is accidentally unsubscribe.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

joat mon posted:

Public Defenders should be first against the wall for their participation in, and legitimization of, the prison-industrial complex.
To the barricades!
this is that good poo poo

gvibes posted:

man I gotta move to a better district

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Speaking of scum

i gotta get some letterhead like this

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Soothing Vapors posted:

man I gotta move to a better district
Should have clarified that I meant federal courts. I don't do state courts.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

gvibes posted:

Should have clarified that I meant federal courts. I don't do state courts.

me too. our judges suck at governing ESI and I'm genuinely, without being lovely, not sure most of the plaintiff's bar around here knows what a load file is because I've seen maybe 2-3 in the last 8 years

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

gvibes posted:

But I agree that you should just go ahead and produce whatever files you want in native format. Just rename the file name with the Bates number

I reached out to plaintiff support on the case and they recommended converting everything except excel sheets to pdf or tiff, bates number everything in the files and in the file name, and have a “slip sheet” document for each excel file that says “Document Produced Natively” with it’s own bates number.

If we can find someone local who can help with generating relativity compatible load files we will, but we’re just giving them what we have with the response from the plaintiff support included.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Speaking of scum

You can spell any way you want when your letterhead is that awesome.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Ugh - should have been a plaintiff's lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Wgz7auLAk

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I like to think at some point all the big-law firms started this way and they were the 1 in 1,000 that got lucky and blew up.

poo poo, Abe Lincoln was a plaintiff's lawyer once.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

You can spell any way you want when your letterhead is that awesome.

That's the edited version of one of his billboards:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Holla at ya people

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Ugh - should have been a plaintiff's lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Wgz7auLAk

ulmont posted:

That's the edited version of one of his billboards:

chef's kiss dot gif

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

no, seriously: if you look closely at Kirkland filings, you'll notice the actual equity partners all have "P.C." after their name. that is because the human is not a kirkland partner: the human has formed an individual professional corporation and that corporation is the kirkland partner.

What is the reason for this? Seems like its gotta be some tax thing but I’m not sure what advantage it would give.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So It Goes posted:

What is the reason for this? Seems like its gotta be some tax thing but I’m not sure what advantage it would give.

no idea. may be a liability thing, actually, but I've never asked. whatever it is, the benefits must not be huge or more firms would copy it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

random legal puzzler i thought of while ruminating on Mr. Nice's posts about robert kraft's discount handjob emporium. like myself, Mr. Nice has been thinking a lot about mr. kraft getting his hog wrenched.

lets say that the police have in their possession probable cause for an arrest/search, but don't know they do. they, for example, have possessions of an elderly billionare getting a $59 handjob, but didn't watch it yet. they then stop that elderly billionare because he left a discount handjob emporium at a traffic stop based on that he just left a discount handjob emporium but, for the purposes of argument, we'll assume that just because you left a discount handjob massage parlor doesn't constitute probable cause.

does the existence of the videos in the possession of the police, even if they didn't watch them, constitute probable cause?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

evilweasel posted:

random legal puzzler i thought of while ruminating on Mr. Nice's posts about robert kraft's discount handjob emporium. like myself, Mr. Nice has been thinking a lot about mr. kraft getting his hog wrenched.

lets say that the police have in their possession probable cause for an arrest/search, but don't know they do. they, for example, have possessions of an elderly billionare getting a $59 handjob, but didn't watch it yet. they then stop that elderly billionare because he left a discount handjob emporium at a traffic stop based on that he just left a discount handjob emporium but, for the purposes of argument, we'll assume that just because you left a discount handjob massage parlor doesn't constitute probable cause.

does the existence of the videos in the possession of the police, even if they didn't watch them, constitute probable cause?

Yes. Subjective knowledge (and even subjective intent in most states) is not the analysis. It's a post-facto objective standard applied at the time of arrest.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 3, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
rub
maps
dot
com

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Kalman posted:

“The Admission Without Examination filing fee is $2500. This fee covers the cost of processing the Application, investigating matters contained in the applicant's completed Character & Fitness Questionnaire, and preparing of the Character Report.”

(Virginia.)

That's insane. Do you at least get to have a :krad: admission ceremony?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Whitlam posted:

Lawyers getting admitted on motion have no time or interest in that poo poo

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh okay, it's a way to buy your way into another jurisdiction, essentially. We don't have that here, you basically just do it (although you have to tell the Board if you're authorised to muck about with trust money and do a period of supervised legal training).

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm against the idea of admittance ceremonies even for new baby lawyers. This isn't a cause for celebration.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm against the idea of admittance ceremonies even for new baby lawyers. This isn't a cause for celebration.

Admittance wake?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evilweasel posted:

No, though Utah v. Strieff reveals the direction the SCOTUS is going on cases like this. Maybe the fact that it's a rich white guy will help the law not get any worse.
I'd give a rich white guy a handie if it would mean having a functioning fourth amendment.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
wait has nobody seen the video yet? Its simply captured data? or just the arresting officers have not seen the video yet? I think if the video has been seen by anyone in the police department then there is probable cause but otherwise there is not.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Holla at ya people

The best part of those billboards is Alvin Kamara trolling Marshon Lattimore by claiming it's Lattimore on the billboards.

https://twitter.com/A_kamara6/status/997250191643283456

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

wait has nobody seen the video yet? Its simply captured data? or just the arresting officers have not seen the video yet? I think if the video has been seen by anyone in the police department then there is probable cause but otherwise there is not.

presumably the police and/or DA have seen it, they filed a motion to suppress or whatever its called there to try and keep it both out of the trial and out of public hands, but I think EW's question was did it matter if someone saw it before the arrest

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

The best part of those billboards is Alvin Kamara trolling Marshon Lattimore by claiming it's Lattimore on the billboards.

https://twitter.com/A_kamara6/status/997250191643283456

I like how on Lafonta's website, its a video of all these ripped athletes working out, flexing, rock hard abs...then pudgy lawyer walks out by the boxing ring, ready to fight the insurance companies...FOR YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Whitlam posted:

Hell if I know, I wasn’t going to pay that just to be barred in a state I live in but perform literally zero legal work in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whitlam posted:

Oh okay, it's a way to buy your way into another jurisdiction, essentially. We don't have that here, you basically just do it (although you have to tell the Board if you're authorised to muck about with trust money and do a period of supervised legal training).

I got liscenced to practice no sweat interstate, yeah. Its pretty simple.

The irony now is now I know more about interstate law than my "home" state.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Speaking of scum

Take it to SA-Mart, not allowed here.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
And DV ain't playin' he'll gently caress you up! Flip bitch!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Ani posted:

We ended up conceding to them on everything anyway because sponsors have all the leverage.

To be honest, in my experience this is what roughly decides 99.5% of provision disputes/issues anyway in contract negotiations. (The remaining .5% is when one of the attorneys doesn't recognize the issue.)

So much of being an attorney is positioned as being adroit arguments, etc. In my experience, the reality in transactional law is two teams of lawyers arguing with each other until one client says, "gently caress it, I don't care about that, we need this deal."

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SlyFrog posted:

To be honest, in my experience this is what roughly decides 99.5% of provision disputes/issues anyway in contract negotiations. (The remaining .5% is when one of the attorneys doesn't recognize the issue.)

So much of being an attorney is positioned as being adroit arguments, etc. In my experience, the reality in transnational law is two teams of lawyers arguing with each other until one client says, "gently caress it, I don't care about that, we need this deal."

So much criminal law is

"Okay here's the defence we can run in the trial"
"gently caress it man if I plead guilty am I just going to like, get out in 2 months on parole?"
"Probably."
"Can I do that?"
"Absolutely."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

algebra testes posted:

So much criminal law is

"Okay here's the defence we can run in the trial"
"gently caress it man if I plead guilty am I just going to like, get out in 2 months on parole?"
"Probably."
"Can I do that?"
"Absolutely."

For some clients it's better to take 3-6 months in jail over 6-12 months of probation because they're going to violate probation over something dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

For some clients it's better to take 3-6 months in jail over 6-12 months of probation because they're going to violate probation over something dumb.

Fuckin truth, but good luck convincing them of that.
Also, like half my job as a PD was convincing people who didn't want to go to trial to go to trial cause they had a good case and the other half convincing people who did want to go to trial not to because their case sucked and the offer ruled.
There needs to be a dunning-Kruger for how lovely your case is v. wanting to go to trial.